inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Old Were When You Got Your First

Written By: superflykid2008 on 03/31/10 at 10:36 pm

iPod? I remember in middle school NO ONE had iPods. Everyone carried around a gaint thing of their favorite CDs, and a CD player. No one really got iPod that I know of until the second semester of my freshmen year in 05. I wont lie, I originally got an iPod because all of "the cool kids" were getting one lol

Subject: Re: How Old Were When You Got Your First

Written By: joeman on 03/31/10 at 11:16 pm

Never had an IPOD.  Have a Zune though, and had it for a couple of years.  My parents bought me it for Christmas and you can carry 30 gb of music/video space.  What was cool about it was that I can connect with others who had Zune and share music.

Written By: nupur on 03/31/10 at 11:40 pm

My brother and I got an iPod to share around March '03, when I was in the 8th grade. Until then, through most of middle school, I'd nab my dad's Walkman CD player when I wanted to listen to music on the go. I received my own iPod from my parents as my 14th birthday gift in August of '04. That iPod lasted me until just a few months ago -- a solid 5 years! It still works, but I thought I'd "get with the times" and get an iTouch, which is what I use now. It's one of the most brilliant pieces of technology I own; couldn't live without it 8).

Written By: Jessica on 04/01/10 at 12:22 am

Written By: nupur on 04/01/10 at 12:27 am

April fools?

Written By: Brian06 on 04/01/10 at 1:39 am

The first iPod I got was an iPod mini back in early 2005 and I was 17 (almost 18) at the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/10 at 6:39 am

I remember my first walkman,probably early to mid 80's then I carried around a portable CD Player but one day I will get an IPOD,I'm seeing it all around now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/01/10 at 9:15 am

Two years ago, and I still have it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/10 at 11:40 am

Never had one, and I don't think I ever will.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/10 at 2:26 pm

I never had an iPod because everyone wanted one and by me getting one, meant that I would be jumping on the bandwagon and no one likes a bandwagon jumper because they are not cool.  But if I was on that bandwagon, and I slipped off, does that mean I fell off the bandwagon?  Wait a second, but to fall off the wagon means there would be alcohol involved and I don't want to become a drinker because once you start drinking, you'll be a person you don't want to be, and I don't want to be a person who doesn't know what kind of person they want to be, because when you don't know what kind of person you want to be, you end up not knowing who you really are.  Who am I?  Who are you?  Does anyone really know who anyone is?  Does anybody really know what time it is?  Well, Chicago does, but that song was sung by Robert Lamm, not Peter Cetera, so I didn't like it as much as Chicago's other songs.  Wait, did you hear that?  Oh, this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me.  She said .. hey wait a second, isn't that a lyric from a Robbie Robertson song?  Man, what the hell?  I start talking about iPods and I get sidetracked into a conversation about something that does not apply.  Man, the iPod is definitely not for me.  I'll stick with my Zune

Written By: Midas on 04/01/10 at 2:48 pm

I'll let you know.  Maybe.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/10 at 7:03 pm

I'll let you know.  Maybe.

So you still own a retro 80's Sony Walkman?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/01/10 at 7:51 pm

iPod? I remember in middle school NO ONE had iPods. Everyone carried around a gaint thing of their favorite CDs, and a CD player. No one really got iPod that I know of until the second semester of my freshmen year in 05. I wont lie, I originally got an iPod because all of "the cool kids" were getting one lol

When I was in middle school nobody had a CD player!  Actually, they were just coming out.  Even if your rich daddy bought you one, you couldn't buy your favorite albums on CD yet -- unless you were a middle school kid into Beethoven!
:-\\

Written By: Cory! on 04/01/10 at 9:25 pm

I got my first Samsung T9 MP3 Player in the 6th grade. :)
Now I'm a Sony fanboy (of their Walkman series MP3 Players) sooo now I have
a Walkman which I got in my 8th grade year last school year.

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/01/10 at 11:58 pm

When I was in middle school nobody had a CD player!  Actually, they were just coming out.  Even if your rich daddy bought you one, you couldn't buy your favorite albums on CD yet -- unless you were a middle school kid into Beethoven!

That is so true. The best you could do back in '85 was to have a Walkman. And you'd be really hot s**T if you paid the extra cash to get a Walkman with auto-reverse! Ooo! :o 'Cause you just can't be bothered to flip a tape over in those days!

Didn't buy my first CD till 1990, there just wasn't enough selection in music available till then.

First mp3 player just a few years back, even though I'd had 25G of music on my PC by then. Now my cell phone has an 8G mp3 player built in and I don't even use the 1.5G mp3 player I bought earlier anymore...

Man this thread makes me feel old, I still have a old fashioned turntable (for playing records no less, remember those?) and my dad's Akai reel to reel tape machine... :-[

Written By: Frank on 04/02/10 at 12:13 am

Cat

Me neither.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/10 at 6:35 am

Man this thread makes me feel old, I still have a old fashioned turntable (for playing records no less, remember those?) and my dad's Akai reel to reel tape machine

Hey don't feel bad Gumby,I still have a Gameboy from 1989,a victrola from the early-mid 80's,tape recorder and my Father has loads of 45's and vinyls.

Written By: Stompgal on 04/02/10 at 9:52 am

I was 17 when I got my first iPod. It was a silver iPod Mini that was given to me as a Christmas present in 2004, but I wanted a gold one. I loved it but it died on me about 10 months later.

My second iPod is a silver 8GB 3rd generation iPod Nano. It was a present for my 21st birthday and I've had it for nearly 2 years now. I initially wanted a 4GB silver iPod Nano (which is what I told my dad over the phone when he offered me a choice of colours before he ordered it from the Apple UK Online Store) but when it arrived two days later (and 10 days before my birthday), it turned out to have 8GB. If I'd known I was going to receive an 8GB Nano, I would've gone for blue. It even has a 21st birthday message from mu parents engraved on the back.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/10 at 12:02 am

I never had an iPod because everyone wanted one and by me getting one, meant that I would be jumping on the bandwagon and no one likes a bandwagon jumper because they are not cool.  But if I was on that bandwagon, and I slipped off, does that mean I fell off the bandwagon?  Wait a second, but to fall off the wagon means there would be alcohol involved and I don't want to become a drinker because once you start drinking, you'll be a person you don't want to be, and I don't want to be a person who doesn't know what kind of person they want to be, because when you don't know what kind of person you want to be, you end up not knowing who you really are.  Who am I?  Who are you?  Does anyone really know who anyone is?  Does anybody really know what time it is?  Well, Chicago does, but that song was sung by Robert Lamm, not Peter Cetera, so I didn't like it as much as Chicago's other songs.  Wait, did you hear that?  Oh, this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me.  She said .. hey wait a second, isn't that a lyric from a Robbie Robertson song?  Man, what the hell?  I start talking about iPods and I get sidetracked into a conversation about something that does not apply.  Man, the iPod is definitely not for me.  I'll stick with my Zune

Dude, when you start talking about Robert Lamm or Peter Cetera, I get nervous!

Written By: Howard on 04/03/10 at 6:36 am

I remember getting my first Sony Discman in July 1995 and to this I believe it still works,It might need some new batteries.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/10 at 8:41 pm

That is so true. The best you could do back in '85 was to have a Walkman. And you'd be really hot s**T if you paid the extra cash to get a Walkman with auto-reverse! Ooo! :o 'Cause you just can't be bothered to flip a tape over in those days!

Those were good if you were walking in the rain.  That way you could keep the player zipped in your jacket.

Man this thread makes me feel old, I still have a old fashioned turntable (for playing records no less, remember those?) and my dad's Akai reel to reel tape machine... :-[

I got rid of my turntable in 2003.  I've never been settled, always moving around, thus it was good to get rid of an extraneous piece of equipment.  Basically, I replaced everything I had on vinyl with CD over the years, then what I couldn't get on CD, I burned onto CD-R format.  However, vinyl is making a comeback among a new generation of hipsters, thus there is a market for turntables again.  The DJ mixing ones never went away because you just can't mix with CDs the way you can with vinyl.  There were various models of dual CD player systems with cross-fading and pitch control, but club DJs didn't go for them because the tactile experience wasn't there. 

Anyway, I don't miss reel-to-reel.  I worked with a little bit and trying to edit was nerve wracking.  That's why I admire early tape music composers (Reich, Oliveros, Marshall, etc.) because it took infinite patience to work with that stuff!

Written By: Howard on 04/04/10 at 6:38 am

Those were good if you were walking in the rain.  That way you could keep the player zipped in your jacket.

I got rid of my turntable in 2003.  I've never been settled, always moving around, thus it was good to get rid of an extraneous piece of equipment.  Basically, I replaced everything I had on vinyl with CD over the years, then what I couldn't get on CD, I burned onto CD-R format.  However, vinyl is making a comeback among a new generation of hipsters, thus there is a market for turntables again.  The DJ mixing ones never went away because you just can't mix with CDs the way you can with vinyl.  There were various models of dual CD player systems with cross-fading and pitch control, but club DJs didn't go for them because the tactile experience wasn't there. 

Anyway, I don't miss reel-to-reel.  I worked with a little bit and trying to edit was nerve wracking.  That's why I admire early tape music composers (Reich, Oliveros, Marshall, etc.) because it took infinite patience to work with that stuff!

Hey I still have my Gameboy from 1989 and to this day it still works 18 years after I purchased it.

http://www.vimby.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/gameboy.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/10 at 1:30 am

Hey I still have my Gameboy from 1989 and to this day it still works 18 years after I purchased it.

http://www.vimby.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/gameboy.jpg

One time I asked a rude call center customer rep: "What's the matter?  You don't wanna talk to me?  You wanna get back to your Game Boy and your Doritios?"  The kid paused, and tried to ask:
"How did you....how did?  Uh, I'm sorry, sir, what do you need again.  I'm sure we can straighten this thing out!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: Henk on 04/05/10 at 1:37 am

Cat

Me neither.

Same here.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/10 at 6:29 am

One time I asked a rude call center customer rep: "What's the matter?  You don't wanna talk to me?  You wanna get back to your Game Boy and your Doritios?"  The kid paused, and tried to ask:
"How did you....how did?  Uh, I'm sorry, sir, what do you need again.  I'm sure we can straighten this thing out!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

So he was actualy playing his Gameboy?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/10 at 8:35 pm

So he was actualy playing his Gameboy?

I just had a suspicion the kid was playing with a Gameboy and eating Doritos.  Call it clairvoyance, call it intuition, call it demographics profiling, in any case, his jig was up!
;D

Written By: Midas on 04/06/10 at 12:48 pm

So you still own a retro 80's Sony Walkman?  ???

No but I had a discman up until last year. :D

Written By: Howard on 04/06/10 at 2:46 pm

No but I had a discman up until last year. :D

I still have mine and it now works, just needed some fresh batteries.

Written By: Starde on 04/10/10 at 11:23 am

I didn't get an iPod 'til late into my sophomore year of high school (April or May '07). Up until then, I was one of the only few people who still brought a CD player and CDs to school.

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/10 at 3:59 pm

I still have mine and it now works, just needed some fresh batteries.

How do you know when batteries are fresh?  They come on to you? :D

Written By: Howard on 04/11/10 at 6:39 am

How do you know when batteries are fresh?  They come on to you? :D

C'mon be serious.  ::)

Written By: lola669 on 04/13/10 at 11:55 am

I don't have a iPod and I'm 40 years old.  My kids ages 9 & 6 both have iPods.  :o

Written By: Howard on 04/13/10 at 2:46 pm

I don't have a iPod and I'm 40 years old.  My kids ages 9 & 6 both have iPods.   :o

So,What DO you have?  ???

Written By: Stompgal on 08/14/13 at 5:25 pm

I know I'm 'bumping' an old thread, but the iPod I have now is a yellow 7th gen iPod Nano. I love it and it's the best one I've had so far.

Written By: warped on 08/14/13 at 5:35 pm

How Old Were When You Got Your First Ipod?

I was 49 or 50.  It was a gift from a friend who was discarding his old one to buy a new one. It plays music and has internet connection, but thankfully no phone. I don't want a cell phone.

If it wasn't given to me for free, I'm sure I'd never get one.

Written By: karen on 08/15/13 at 2:54 pm

not an ipod as such but a very basic mp3 player.

we bought one last month because the CD player broke in the car.  We can use the mp3 player through the car stereo system and it was a lot cheaper than the cost of repairing the cd player

Written By: XYkid on 08/15/13 at 5:46 pm

Well my dad won an first generation iPod Nano around October 2005, which he gave to my mum and I to share, but she never used it so technically it was mine.
I really don't remember anyone having iPods before 2004, back then I had a discman with FM radio on it that I thought was the coolest thing.

Written By: we.are.clouds on 09/25/13 at 11:54 pm

I was 19. Back in December 2006. It was a Christmas gift from my mom. A 30 gig iPod classic. Still use it to this day. It's my backup iPod now though. As I bought a 160 gig iPod classic 3 years ago with my own cash. My music collection grew too big. LOL.

I also had a 8gig purple Nano I bought for myself back in 09. And, I sold it to my ex-best friend because I was strapped on cash.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/26/13 at 12:35 am

I've never had an iPod. I still use CDs. The closest I got to one was giving it to a character in a short story I wrote. LOL.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/26/13 at 8:12 pm

not an ipod as such but a very basic mp3 player.

we bought one last month because the CD player broke in the car.  We can use the mp3 player through the car stereo system and it was a lot cheaper than the cost of repairing the cd player

Same here. I got an mp3 player for the first time for Christmas, 2006. I was fifteen years old. At first I couldn't be bothered to learn how to rip songs onto it, so I just recorded songs from my built-in radio.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/13 at 3:29 pm

I've never had an iPod. I still use CDs. The closest I got to one was giving it to a character in a short story I wrote. LOL.

I still use CDs too. never bought an Ipod yet, maybe I will when I get some money together.

Written By: Stompgal on 06/15/14 at 4:27 pm

This is my second bump for this topic but my yellow 7th gen iPod nano broke and now I have a 5th gen blue iPod Touch.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:35 am

I feel privileged that I never own an iPod.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/16/14 at 3:02 pm

Christmas 2006. I was eleven years old.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 3:44 pm

I feel privileged that I never own an iPod.

me neither, never had one before.

Written By: dnt88 on 06/18/14 at 5:16 pm

I never had an Ipod. But I got my first walkman around 1996, I hated the audio cassettes but loved the radio. Then in 2000 I bought my first portable cd player (with radio included *-*). In 2004 I bought a minidisc and I thought they were going to replace cd's, but they didn't. In 2007 I bought my first mp3 player and finally in 2010 I got my first smartphone and that's what I use when I want to listen to music (besides the stereo player).  :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/18/14 at 8:03 pm

I got it in 2008 when I was 15, but it was the Non-Camera Ipod Nano. Before that, I had a Walkman, a Disc-man, and a MP3 I even used to take them to school to listen to music, so I can enjoy the melody and the artists.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/18/14 at 8:20 pm

I got it in 2008 when I was 15, but it was the Non-Camera Ipod Nano. Before that, I had a Walkman, a Disc-man, and a MP3 I even used to take them to school to listen to music, so I can enjoy the melody and the artists.

Mine is a nano and doesn't have a camera either. I'm too cheap for an iPod Touch lol!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/18/14 at 9:53 pm

Mine is a nano and doesn't have a camera either. I'm too cheap for an iPod Touch lol!
Thats the only Ipod I had as my family didnt buy many of them.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/19/14 at 12:35 am

Who needs Apple products?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 7:03 am

Who needs Apple products?  ::)

why do you say that?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/19/14 at 9:47 am

why do you say that?

Because I can live without them.

Written By: Paul on 06/19/14 at 10:05 am

Was given one as a gift some years back, but never used it (still in its box, I think!)

I particularly didn't care much for those silly earpiece thingies...

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 4:39 pm

same here Inland, I can live without them too. I got music at home anyways.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/19/14 at 8:11 pm

I can live without them too, but there's nothing wrong with wanting something nice. I don't want an iPhone though, for one I really can't afford it.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/19/14 at 8:20 pm

It's because of the question... why specifically iPod? I mean... this implies, that everybody seems to have one, but that's not true. Another thing is, that there a lot of other mp3 players around which are cheaper and not necessarily worse.

And about iPhones... way to small until now. WAY to small. I prefer a Galaxy Note.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/14 at 1:56 am

Same here!

Written By: Howard on 06/20/14 at 6:28 am

I can live without them too, but there's nothing wrong with wanting something nice. I don't want an iPhone though, for one I really can't afford it.

Maybe I can change my mind in the near future about having one myself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 3:58 am

When walking I prefer to hear the environment around me.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/14 at 3:35 pm

When walking I prefer to hear the environment around me.

same here, you got to know what's going on around you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 3:39 pm

same here, you got to know what's going on around you.
I enjoy the sounds of nature.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/14 at 4:20 pm

I enjoy the sounds of nature.

I do too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 8:26 am

I do too.
...and passing traffic when crossing the road

Written By: Howard on 06/24/14 at 3:45 pm

...and passing traffic when crossing the road

I'm always aware of that.

Check for new replies or respond here...