inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Don't People Born In The 90s

Written By: superflykid2008 on 04/08/10 at 1:22 am

Why don't kids born in the 90s like claiming the 00s, even though it was their pre-teen/teen years decade. My mom was born in the 60s, and claims the 70s

Subject: Re: Why Don't People Born In The 90s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/10 at 1:37 am

You can't really claim your decade until you're 30.  Enough current events and fashions have to change before you can filter the defining moments through the deafening noise of a given decade.

Written By: joeman on 04/08/10 at 6:40 am

It is too soon.  The oldest is like 20 years old.  Give them 5 years when they are out of college and working at a job they hate, then they will like their teenage years.

Written By: JTCool on 04/09/10 at 7:04 pm

You have to remember most people born in the 90's are still teenagers. I was born in 93 and just turned 17, and I think it'll take another five to ten years before you can really start observing the good and bad traits of our generation. And most of our generation hasn't come of age yet.

Written By: nupur on 04/10/10 at 2:56 pm

It is too soon.  The oldest is like 20 years old.  Give them 5 years when they are out of college and working at a job they hate, then they will like their teenage years.

;D I hope that's not the way it happens!

Written By: mich3l on 04/10/10 at 3:53 pm

I'm 21 and I consider 2001-2005 my decade. It's not decade exactly, but I don't like post-2005 pop culture, neither the late 90's one.
I like 70's, 80's (esp. the early 80's), early 90's and early 00's pop culture.

Written By: Fairee07 on 04/12/10 at 5:03 pm

I'm 21 and I consider 2001-2005 my decade. It's not decade exactly, but I don't like post-2005 pop culture, neither the late 90's one.
I like 70's, 80's (esp. the early 80's), early 90's and early 00's pop culture.

I know what you're saying. I was born in '76 so I overlap on the decades when I pick my time, which I consider from '86-'04.

Written By: nupur on 04/12/10 at 5:11 pm

I was born in 1990, so the 90's were my decade of childhood. I began middle school in the Fall of '00, and I think after that was when the whole "growing up" process began. I absolutely hated middle school and would prefer to remember elementary school  ;D That's why I'd rather give the 90's the title of "my" decade. Though, I suppose after some years, when the late 00's are fully in the past, I'll end up claiming them as my high school/teen years as well.

Written By: joeman on 04/12/10 at 7:00 pm

I was born in 1990, so the 90's were my decade of childhood. I began middle school in the Fall of '00, and I think after that was when the whole "growing up" process began. I absolutely hated middle school and would prefer to remember elementary school  ;D That's why I'd rather give the 90's the title of "my" decade. Though, I suppose after some years, when the late 00's are fully in the past, I'll end up claiming them as my high school/teen years as well.

That is what happened to me in relation to the 1997-2003 era.  In the mid-late 00s, everybody seemed to hated the Millenium era and I did too for a while until I started to get older and I wasn't really fitting in on what was cool.  I liked that era a lot, though I was never into the teen pop.  I liked the music(alternative, nu-metal, rap, 70's music) and the movies there(Lord of the Ring trilogy, The Matrix Trilogy, Almost Famous, Se7en, etc...).

I liked my pre-teen years too.

Written By: 4wtr on 04/12/10 at 10:30 pm

I was also born in 1990, and I loved the 90s, but I also like the 05-right now period. I hated 2003-2004 years, such an awkward time. The clothes and everything else right now (besides music and films) is far better than it was in the past. I do hope that things get a little more gritty in contrast to the past 10 years though.

Written By: anjelica_fan on 04/13/10 at 2:21 am

I was also born in 1990, and I loved the 90s, but I also like the 05-right now period. I hated 2003-2004 years, such an awkward time. The clothes and everything else right now (besides music and films) is far better than it was in the past. I do hope that things get a little more gritty in contrast to the past 10 years though.

2003-2004 were the best years from the 2000's. Current clothes are crappy, they are too emo. And Obama is a disappointment.

Written By: tv on 04/13/10 at 5:06 pm

2003-2004 were the best years from the 2000's. Current clothes are crappy, they are too emo. And Obama is a disappointment.
I thought the EMO trend died but the EMO clothes didn't die with the music though?

Written By: 4wtr on 04/13/10 at 11:01 pm

I thought the EMO trend died but the EMO clothes didn't die with the music though?
Emo has been dead for about 4 years. It's long gone and not coming back thank goodness! Right now it's about laid back style and sleekness, which I think is great

Written By: JTCool on 04/14/10 at 8:41 pm

Emo has been dead for about 4 years. It's long gone and not coming back thank goodness! Right now it's about laid back style and sleekness, which I think is great

I think you're completely right about when emo started going away. I think some of it is still around but it's not popular at all. I also think, from what I've seen at school, that people are going back to some of the clothes that were popular in the 80's and 90's.

Written By: Superflykid2008 on 04/14/10 at 8:56 pm

well, actually a lot of people, even rappers are wearing skinnh jeans now a days...

Written By: bchris02 on 04/14/10 at 11:03 pm

The most popular hairstyle today for generation Y males is heavily influenced by the emo fad.  Though emo itself may be gone, its influence is far from it.

http://www.menshairstyles.net/d/35107-2/Teen+men+hairstyle+with+long+bangs_fashion+hairstyle.jpg

I think this haircut will die in the next couple years the way bowl cuts did in the '90s.  In 1998 every teen boy had a bowl cut but by 2000 nobody had them.

Written By: joeman on 04/14/10 at 11:31 pm

Bowl Cuts were actually popular in the mid-90's.  I remember everyone in 5th-6th grade having them.

Written By: nupur on 04/15/10 at 12:41 am

Bowl Cuts were actually popular in the mid-90's.  I remember everyone in 5th-6th grade having them.

Mushroom cuts! My brother had a mushroom cut for a few years in the late 90's.

http://magnetiquemtl.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/witz-topfschnitt.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 04/15/10 at 11:39 am

Their heyday was 1995-98 if I remember correctly. In 1999-2000 everybody started going for short, clean-cut styles until about 2003 when the emo shag started to become popular. The emo shag peaked in 2007-08 but is still pretty popular with guys in their teens and early 20s. That said, I notice more and more people wearing shorter, cleaner versions of the haircut as this generation matures.

Written By: tv on 04/15/10 at 11:54 am

I thought EMO was still kinda popular in early 2008 ala pop-emo like the group "Paramore" but after that it faded out.

Written By: Starde on 04/15/10 at 5:43 pm

Well, we just got out of the 00's so it's gonna take a couple of years for the majority of people to look back at the decade nostalgically. I was born in '91 so I connect the 90's to my childhood more so than the 2000s which I connect more to my teenage years. In general, I strongly despised the 00's, but I really enjoyed the early 2000s (2000-2003) and I believe that's because it consisted of my last few childhood years before becoming a teen. So I think that's why those are the only years of the 00's I really liked. So, at the moment, if I had to "claim" any part of the 00's, it'd be 2000-2003. Hell, I'd probably even stretch it to a bit of 2004. I did not like the majority of pop culture in 2005-2009.

Ask this question again in 10 years and maybe I'll have different sentiments. ;)

Written By: joeman on 04/15/10 at 8:23 pm

Their heyday was 1995-98 if I remember correctly. In 1999-2000 everybody started going for short, clean-cut styles until about 2003 when the emo shag started to become popular. The emo shag peaked in 2007-08 but is still pretty popular with guys in their teens and early 20s. That said, I notice more and more people wearing shorter, cleaner versions of the haircut as this generation matures.

I notice a lot of kids in their late teens/early 20s are wearing the scruffy hair look that is popular with the young actors like Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Jesse Eisenberg, etc...I think that hairstyle is compete against the 'emo' look which I notice a lot of "vampires" have today.  I have that scruffy hair, but not intentionally since I am from mediterranean descent and my hair is thick as hell.

If you ask me, I think the most annoying trend of Gen Y is the whole Vampire/Twilight fad, at least with the clothes and stuff.   

Written By: Starde on 04/16/10 at 1:40 pm

If you ask me, I think the most annoying trend of Gen Y is the whole Vampire/Twilight fad, at least with the clothes and stuff.   

Dear God. Don't even get me started on that! 8-P

Written By: nondiva234 on 04/17/10 at 2:02 am

Dear God. Don't even get me started on that! 8-P

I concur. And Justin Bieber. Seriously, WTF?

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/17/10 at 1:20 pm

Being born in the 80's...I have claimed that my heart is still in the 90's!

1993-1996 was a grand time of my life and If I could relive those years...I would! Just give me a VCR, some videocassettes, and a Time Machine and I'll be there!

Written By: joeman on 04/18/10 at 11:07 am

1993-1996 was a grand time of my life and If I could relive those years...I would! Just give me a VCR, some videocassettes, and a Time Machine and I'll be there!

Maybe a Hot Tub Time Machine? hehe I had to make that joke!

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/18/10 at 11:56 am

Maybe a Hot Tub Time Machine? hehe I had to make that joke!

I'd like to see one of those!

Written By: superflykid2008 on 04/19/10 at 12:28 am

Nah, Justin Beiber is more Generation Z, which are the kids born from 95 -'10

Written By: Starde on 04/19/10 at 10:36 am

Nah, Justin Beiber is more Generation Z, which are the kids born from 95 -'10

Uh, he was born in '94. :-\\

Written By: Criz on 04/19/10 at 1:00 pm

Erghh - god I remember those. All of my crushes back in the mid-late 90s had either that haircut or curtains. Reallllllyyy bad looking back - what were these boys thinking?

I was born in 1984 and I don't consider the 90s to be as big an influence on me as the 80s. I adore the 80s but I think that for lots of different reasons. However, I also love the popular culture of today (not Justin Bieber though - waaay too old for that nonsense!) All in all, I think this era is a pretty good one to grow up in. The 90s were just awkward for me.

Written By: Flameon on 05/28/10 at 2:31 pm

You can't really claim your decade until you're 30.  Enough current events and fashions have to change before you can filter the defining moments through the deafening noise of a given decade.

Totally agree. Most of you teens and early 20 somethings - are making references to the past that really haven't been cultivated or quite defined yet. Like the guy said wait till you're 30..When I hit 30, someone told me its all downhill from here.

Looking back its true, certain joints ache, not as nimble, and nap more often. I'm in my mid 30's now and nostalgic wise I lay claim to the 80's and early to mid 90's..That's a difference between then and now of 15 years, so its way too early for you to lay any type of claim.

In 2020 (damn that seems quite some ways away) the oldest of you can start the nostalgic process of the late 90's and 00's. In my opinion, because of this 5 seconds (internet page to load) or less culture we live in now, kinda promotes forward thinking like this which is way too soon. Just grow, experience different things, be safe, have fun - then let the nostalgia begin..

Written By: superflykid2008 on 05/29/10 at 9:24 pm

Nah, Justin Beiber is more Generation Z (kids born late 90s and in the 00s)

Written By: superflykid2008 on 05/29/10 at 9:26 pm

haha...I barly remember 1993-1996...I was only 3 - 6 then...

Written By: superflykid2008 on 05/29/10 at 9:28 pm

Uh, he was born in '94. :-\\

We mean his music, and his fanbase, not him as a person...

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/10 at 6:46 pm

We mean his music, and his fanbase, not him as a person...

i wan't candy

Written By: bchris02 on 06/02/10 at 7:40 pm

Justin Bieber is more popular than you think with Generation Y....his teaming up with Gen Y icons like Ludacris and Sean Kingston has made his audience a little older than say Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers which are mostly Generation Z fads.

Written By: joeman on 06/02/10 at 8:30 pm

Depends.  I don't think Y ends until 1998, but that is my thinking.

Written By: karen on 06/03/10 at 8:04 am

I know an 8 year old with this haircut!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 06/04/10 at 3:50 am

I know an 8 year old with this haircut!

ooohhhhh the second worst haircut in the world.... from mullet http://www.lolviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mullet.png

LOL i was a kid back in the 90s.... well my childhood is split in half with decades.... i'm both 90s kid and 00s kid.... i feel like i belong with both decades... haha true though we like to admit that we are kids from the 90s.... i think people who are born 1995 onwards feel more to the 00s kids rather than 90s at all... they barely remember the 90s... i remember ninties... therefore i am 90s kid....

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 06/04/10 at 3:54 am

nahhh JB supposedly is the last of generation Y (1980-1994) he's 16...

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/04/10 at 7:28 am

ooohhhhh the second worst haircut in the world.... from mullet http://www.lolviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/mullet.png

LOL i was a kid back in the 90s.... well my childhood is split in half with decades.... i'm both 90s kid and 00s kid.... i feel like i belong with both decades... haha true though we like to admit that we are kids from the 90s.... i think people who are born 1995 onwards feel more to the 00s kids rather than 90s at all... they barely remember the 90s... i remember ninties... therefore i am 90s kid....
OH my that is a mullet with a wisconsin Cheese wedge on top  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/10 at 4:59 pm

OH my that is a mullet with a wisconsin Cheese wedge on top  :D

This post just made me crack up. My stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Karma.

Cat

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/07/10 at 7:20 am

nahhh JB supposedly is the last of generation Y (1980-1994) he's 16...

But to think of it, some of the "Baby Boomers" artists like the Beatles, Stones, Jimi, Janis, and Jim Morrison were all born in the early 1940s (the last of the Silent Generation), but that is true of other generations as well; I view Miley and Justin as the Y/Z divide for musical tastes (not my generation!)

Written By: superflykid2008 on 06/08/10 at 12:47 am

Justin Bieber is more popular than you think with Generation Y....his teaming up with Gen Y icons like Ludacris and Sean Kingston has made his audience a little older than say Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers which are mostly Generation Z fads.

Sean Kingston is hardly a generation Y icon. Most people from late teens to their 20s could care less about Sean Kingston. We're more into snoop dogg, eminem, and maybe some are into Gaga and Brittney.

Subject: Re: Why Don't People Born In The 90s Register And Post In Other People's Threads

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/08/10 at 6:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc

Written By: Brian06 on 06/08/10 at 9:22 pm

Sean Kingston is not an icon of anybody, I mean Luda I can see but Kingston please he had a couple corny hits thats it. Bieber's just another pop rnb act its been around though he's doing it just about worse than ever.

Written By: joeman on 06/09/10 at 11:25 am

But to think of it, some of the "Baby Boomers" artists like the Beatles, Stones, Jimi, Janis, and Jim Morrison were all born in the early 1940s (the last of the Silent Generation), but that is true of other generations as well; I view Miley and Justin as the Y/Z divide for musical tastes (not my generation!)

Honestly, I'd argue that those born in the early 40s are the start of the boom.  The first of the troops didn't come home till 1942 and would be popping babies then.  Plus, you have to look at politics. 

Written By: bchris02 on 06/14/10 at 9:16 pm

True, Justin Bieber himself is Gen Y but his fans are probably mostly Gen Z.  He does however have an interesting Gen Y following especially in the gay community.  The same goes for Miley as well as a few other less talked about Gen Z targeted artists like Owl City.

And I was wrong about Sean Kingston being an icon...he really is not.  He has however been featured in quite a few huge hits.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 06/15/10 at 7:59 pm

yeah at least half of popular culture icon of a certain generation is usually from a previous generation. That happens to many examples such as the beatles they are not boomers but was widely popular with the boomers generation, michael jackson was boomers but was more popular with gen x and as for generation y... (i'm happen to be one of the last ones) we are the generation that has the widest pop culture influencer uniquely enough. I think generation y cultural impact gonna last until generation A growing up.

Check for new replies or respond here...