inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Criminal Minds

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/10/10 at 2:38 pm

We've discussed the TV Show Criminal Minds on a few threads here and there, and I thought I might as well start a thread about it.

Did anyone watch this last week's episode?  Who thinks there is a spin off in the works?

I hope there is - I'd love to have more, though I would be VERY surprised if Forrest Whittaker took a television role.  He is such a huge star - it hasn't been that long since he won his Oscar.  I was talking to my BIL Scott about it earlier though, and if I were an actor, I don't think there would be a better show to work on than Criminal Minds.  It's just phenomenal, so I could understand if Forrest chose to do it.  What do you guys think?  Would you watch the spin off?  Did you like the "new characters?"

Subject: Re: Criminal Minds

Written By: loki 13 on 04/10/10 at 3:01 pm

Looks like it could be a spin off, after all it was an entire team. It reminded of the episode of NCIS when they went
out to LA to help another team solve a case then the following season was NCIS LA. So yeah, I see a spin off.

Forest Whitaker, as good as an actor he is, didn't look good. Not his acting ability but his physical appearance. He looked
lanky, sickly and tired, is there anything wrong with him medically or is that how they want him to look for the show?

As for Forest taking a TV role, there are many actors doing the same. Laurence Fishburne - CSI, Jeff Goldblum and
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio - Law & Order Criminal Intent, so why not Forest Whitaker.

For the show itself, I didn't care for the ending. For one thing it was predictable, the English guy would be the hero
from the rooftop. Second, when the guy stepped off the roof no one checked to see if fell all the way. The helicopter
didn't budge, at least to verify the guy killed himself. Also, from the vantage point the English guy had he would have
known the guy landed on the ledge and should have radioed that. Other than that, I do like the show and it was an
okay episode. If there is a spin off, I'll watch.

Written By: snozberries on 04/10/10 at 3:30 pm

We've discussed the TV Show Criminal Minds on a few threads here and there, and I thought I might as well start a thread about it.

Did anyone watch this last week's episode?  Who thinks there is a spin off in the works?

I hope there is - I'd love to have more, though I would be VERY surprised if Forrest Whittaker took a television role.  He is such a huge star - it hasn't been that long since he won his Oscar.  I was talking to my BIL Scott about it earlier though, and if I were an actor, I don't think there would be a better show to work on than Criminal Minds.  It's just phenomenal, so I could understand if Forrest chose to do it.  What do you guys think?  Would you watch the spin off?  Did you like the "new characters?"

there's totally a spin off in the works!  Forest is a worker and he likes TV he's done many guest spot appearances on TV so he's not a snob!
and- look at CSI- they got Laurence Fishburne so its no surprise CBS was able to pull forest too...

Its a great era. Glenn Close on Damages! Toni Collette on US of Tara! Holly Hunter on Saving Grace! Kyra Sedgewick on The Closer!  movie actors know the best writing in Hollywood is happening on TV!

Written By: snozberries on 04/10/10 at 3:42 pm

oh I forgot to add- I love the original show- and I love Forest but I don't know if I'm in love with his team or the idea of a spin off... I don't want them to split focus from the original it happened with CSI- seems like when there were too many shows to juggle the storylines went down the tubes.  plus all the crossovers will be annoying. they should just leave things pure...but with the 100th ep rerunning after next week's ep why am I surprised CBS wants bleed yet another one of its commodities dry?

and Loki's right. I saw Forest on Oprah a while back and thought he looked sick then...

Written By: karen on 04/10/10 at 10:16 pm

Not that familiar with Forrest Whittaker so couldn't judge if he looked worse than normal.

I also missed the beginning of the show so didn't get how he became involved with the team and why they were in the area initially.

For the show itself, I didn't care for the ending. For one thing it was predictable, the English guy would be the hero
from the rooftop. Second, when the guy stepped off the roof no one checked to see if fell all the way. The helicopter
didn't budge, at least to verify the guy killed himself. Also, from the vantage point the English guy had he would have
known the guy landed on the ledge and should have radioed that. Other than that, I do like the show and it was an
okay episode. If there is a spin off, I'll watch.

I also thought someone should've checked if he really did fall all the way down.  It made me jump when she looked over the edge and he sprang up to shoot her but I wasn't surprised that there was a ledge there for him to be on, if that makes sense.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/10/10 at 11:11 pm

Looks like Forrest is ok - I'm so glad.  I love him.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1540626.php/Forrest-Whitaker-talks-about-his-amazing-weight-loss

You guys are all so much smarter than I am.  Seriously.  ;D

Loki, your take on the ending was spot on.  I never even thought about it, but the way you explained it made perfect sense.  I can't wait to hear what you have to say about future episodes (or past ones if you feel like talking about them.)

Snoz - such a good point about other spin offs hurting the original.  I totally agree, and am annoyed with spin offs in general - especially in mass quantities.  I want to think that Criminal Minds will do it right, as they have done so many other things.  I think getting Forrest Whittaker was a huge step in the right direction.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/10/10 at 11:17 pm

Now back to the original Criminal Minds cast - who is your favorite character and why?

Though I really do like each and every character on Criminal Minds, my absolute favorite is Penelope Garcia.

First off, I think she is absolutely gorgeous, and have a tendency to stare at her lips when she is speaking.  Her make up is always perfect, and she wears such beautiful dresses on the show.  She is so girly and I just love that.  I wish I was more like that.  Second, I love her quirkiness, and her sense of humor.  She doesn't take herself seriously in the very least, and those are the kind of people I love.  I also love her banter with the team.  Lastly, I love love love how incredibly brilliant she is.  She he keeps the team together and keeps everything running smoothly and efficiently, proving that smart is sexy in every way.     

Written By: Henk on 04/11/10 at 1:09 am

Guys, don't spoil all the fun for me... We're seriously behind! ;)
The most recent ep we got was the one where this guy strangles the women, buries them face down in the park (where's he's employed) and sends their jewelry as a token to his birth mother.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Penelope Garcia is my favorite character.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/11/10 at 1:12 am

You're not too far behind Henk!  :)  I vaguely remember that one.  Wasn't there some significance to him burying them upside down?

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/10 at 9:47 am

I agree with loki on the ending but since most crime dramas do stuff like that I choose to overlook it in Criminal Minds because I love it so damn much...

the greastest oversights in other dramas that annoy me...

CSIs do not conduct criminal investigations (they just collect and examine evidence) and they never interrogate suspects  ::)
Numbers once did an ep about thieves who steal art work or some crap from warehouses....they kept calling the crimes robberies and the criminal robbers..... this was so wrong I wrote a letter to the producers.....they never responded  :-\\
Psych used to do the same thing but they responded and corrected the error...

anyway- I love Garcia....but I'm in love with Morgan!  :D

Written By: Henk on 04/11/10 at 10:37 am

You're not too far behind Henk!   :) 

We MUST be catching up, 'cause they're showing two episodes in a row on Wednesday night. For a while, they even showed THREE eps in a row. Talk about overkill... ;D

I vaguely remember that one.  Wasn't there some significance to him burying them upside down?

Yep. It was to keep their souls trapped in their bodies. According to the series, this is the native American way for burial (I'm not familiar with their rites and habits, so correct me if I'm wrong) and the killer's birth mother was native American.

Written By: Marian on 04/11/10 at 11:58 am

When i saw the episode of the couple who ate each other to death,I thought it was another vampire series at first! :P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/11/10 at 1:08 pm

When i saw the episode of the couple who ate each other to death,I thought it was another vampire series at first! :P

I don't think I saw that episode.  I can't remember it anyway.  Sounds interesting though!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/10 at 1:01 am

I hate to say it....but I wasn't in love with tonight's ep.  It felt uneven.... there was no rhyme or reason for the whole thing it was like Victor De Jesus just wanted to write an ep about immigrants and wanted to diss cops... or something...

maybe I'm just mad because of that one line- when the sheriff is talking about the Saint of Death and how people give things they can't identify names.... she says that St Jude is the patron saint of Police Officers.... sorry....

St Michael is the patron saint of police officers.... St Jude is the patron saint of lost causes... I don't know I feel like it was an intentional dig at law enforcement... or something...

and the truth is... what was the motive- mad that his dad died- mad at immigration---mad at the new sheriff---- mad that the BAU called him weak- and stuff?  But then suddenly he breaks- kills the sheriff and then goes nuts on the drug dealer too?  Not of it seemed to flow logically tonight....

this may be the only you ever hear me say something negative about CM cuz I really do love the show!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/15/10 at 1:29 pm

I love this video!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipozfj_OkRQ

Written By: danootaandme on 04/17/10 at 5:52 am

I used to love CM, but it seems they are working hard to get more and more grusome.  I do love the play between Garcia and Derek.  He is just so hot, and she is just so great.

Check for new replies or respond here...