inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How's 2010 going so far?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/11/10 at 1:52 am

I know its only April and its still too early to determine what 2010 is really about, but I just wanted to see how it is going for everyone so far, whether in your personal life, pop-culture, events, or anything. For me, it hasn't been that great, but not that bad either. Pop-culture wise, its been pretty crappy. There are only 9 songs on my playlist so far this year, and most of them are 2009 holdovers. By this time last year, I had about 14. The only 2010 movie I've seen so far is "Alice in Wonderland" and this year's line-up doesn't look to exciting (more sequels and remakes). With the world events, I'm happy about the Healthcare Reform, but not about the negative reaction toward it.

Subject: Re: How's 2010 going so far?

Written By: anjelica_fan on 04/11/10 at 3:42 am

I already got fed up with all crappy 2005-2010 songs and deleted them all!!! Now all my songs are either from the 80's or from 2001-2004.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/10 at 6:34 am

Not even 6 months into half of 2010 and already it's been weird as usual.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/10 at 6:39 am

I already got fed up with all crappy 2005-2010 songs and deleted them all!!!

You deleted your CDs?

Written By: Howard on 04/11/10 at 6:41 am

I still have no woman!

Written By: anjelica_fan on 04/11/10 at 7:04 am

I deleted my mp3s, I don't have any CD's from 2005-2010, they all range between 1998-2004 (some are re-issues of older albums though).  :)

Written By: joeman on 04/11/10 at 7:20 am

I know its only April and its still too early to determine what 2010 is really about, but I just wanted to see how it is going for everyone so far, whether in your personal life, pop-culture, events, or anything. For me, it hasn't been that great, but not that bad either. Pop-culture wise, its been pretty crappy. There are only 9 songs on my playlist so far this year, and most of them are 2009 holdovers. By this time last year, I had about 14. The only 2010 movie I've seen so far is "Alice in Wonderland" and this year's line-up doesn't look to exciting (more sequels and remakes). With the world events, I'm happy about the Healthcare Reform, but not about the negative reaction toward it.

2010 feels really different, that is for sure.  I am really excited with the technology developments, and I am stroke with the 3D technology.  I really didn't pay attention to the music much but
Ludacris has made some singles that I liked.  Rock is pretty much dead for now.  I didn't see Alice in Wonderland, but I did see Clash of the Titans in 3D, though I wasn't really impressed.  I think 3D does better though animation.

I think the years of 2011 and 2012 are going to be huge.  A lot is going to change and we will pushed to a real Millenium culture.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/11/10 at 7:32 am

Very well thank you!

Written By: bchris02 on 04/11/10 at 12:04 pm

I don't understand why but Top 40 is still focused on late '09 holdovers.  This is generally the case for the first month or two of the new year but this year we are already halfway through April and the radio still sounds pretty much exactly like it did in December 2009.  I am hoping as summer approaches a wave of new hits are released to freshen up Top 40 radio because I don't know about everyone else but after 5 months I am tired of hearing Tik Tok and Bad Romance every hour.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/11/10 at 1:56 pm

2010 has been going great! I had 2 gigantic hemorrhoids surgically removed in February and I haven't felt this great in years!

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/10 at 4:21 pm

I deleted my mp3s, I don't have any CD's from 2005-2010, they all range between 1998-2004 (some are re-issues of older albums though).  :)

Did you get those mp3s from iTunes?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/11/10 at 5:36 pm

2010 has been a year that I find out what I really want to do with my life. I'm in college and it's about time I found out I want to be a news anchor.  :)

Pop culture? Pop culture has been dead to me since 2004 or so. There's just nothing out there that appeals to me right now.

News? I hate to admit it, but I am interested in the whole Tiger Woods thing. And I'm kind worried about all these earthquakes that are happening right now in the world.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/10 at 6:35 pm

2010 has been ok,I'm hoping that this year I get a promotion inside.

Written By: JTCool on 04/11/10 at 6:37 pm

I don't understand why but Top 40 is still focused on late '09 holdovers.  This is generally the case for the first month or two of the new year but this year we are already halfway through April and the radio still sounds pretty much exactly like it did in December 2009.   I am hoping as summer approaches a wave of new hits are released to freshen up Top 40 radio because I don't know about everyone else but after 5 months I am tired of hearing Tik Tok and Bad Romance every hour.

Most of what's on Top 40 right now is crappy electro-pop but I'll take the crap for some of these new good electro-pop songs like Christina Aguilera's "Not Myself Tonight" or Kelly Clarkson's "All I Ever Wanted"

Written By: Jessica on 04/11/10 at 7:10 pm

2010 has been going great! I had 2 gigantic hemorrhoids surgically removed in February and I haven't felt this great in years!

Did the licking toilet cause them?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/11/10 at 7:37 pm

;D

Good to hear.

Written By: Davester on 04/11/10 at 8:33 pm

On the personal front, '10 is going well.  The career part is great and keeps getting better, though I expect to reach a plateau soon, set the cruise control and keep grooving towards retirement.  With any luck the building won't fall down before then.  Getting more involved with my union...

On the pop culture front, everything is good, as it usually is.  That's because I choose my own instead of accepting what's offered...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/11/10 at 9:56 pm

Did the licking toilet cause them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U65_0TlycIw

Written By: Howard on 04/12/10 at 6:30 am

I'm feeling pretty good despite my carpal tunnel syndrome.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/12/10 at 2:49 pm

Suck City!

I think that's what they should call my city since forbes.com calls it the most miserable city in the nation!

Ask me this question again in June...I'm going to be living with my brother.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/10 at 6:42 pm

So Far,So Good that's how I would describe 2010 at the moment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/10 at 3:35 pm

2010 has been good for me!

Written By: gmann on 06/24/10 at 3:45 pm

Overall, it's been a good year. Cheers: Just got a new job. Jeers: I'm not happy that my health insurance premium went up 13%, while my previous gig featured a wage freeze for the past three years.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/25/10 at 4:39 pm

Even living with my brother...

The first half has been the worst half of my life EVER! 2010 may be the worst year ever for me and my family. :-\\

Written By: Starde on 06/25/10 at 6:56 pm

How's 2010 going? Meh...

Written By: Howard on 06/26/10 at 6:42 am

I think there are too many deaths in the news just about every week,that's what it seems like.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/10 at 6:50 am

I think there are too many deaths in the news just about every week,that's what it seems like.
The news (and media) only have over the years being reporting on the bad news, not much good news hits the headlines these days.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/10 at 7:46 am

The news (and media) only have over the years being reporting on the bad news, not much good news hits the headlines these days.

It's a rarity.

Written By: Stompgal on 07/08/10 at 6:08 am

We're in July now so I can say how the first half of the year went.

It's six months to the day I moved bedrooms and I have no problems with staying there 99.9% of the time. I still get the odd disruption but most of the time, it's quieter than the floor below.

Some joyous occasions took place in the spring. My mum celebrated her 50th birthday in April and my cousin got married in May.

There have also been a few downsides of the first half of the year such as not getting along with certain support staff or housemates, getting the impression that nobody wanted to talk to me and having to sit through a distressing psychologist session. On a more positive note, there were a few occasions where I went out independently, which is a good thing because I like my freedom. I'm also trying to lose weight at the moment and last week, I lost 4 pounds.

Some particularly exciting things that have happened to me include my trip to Ibiza and getting my iPhone. I have even downloaded the software update onto my phone and it's amazing because I can multitask between apps, customise my background wallpaper and listen to a radio station on Tune In Radio whilst using another app.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/10 at 6:48 am

I think 2010 is going ok,not as good as I want it to be.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/10 at 11:24 am

On a scale of 1-10, I would say about 7.

Some things are great: Birth of our grandson, the renovations on the house in Puerto Rico-not to mention the remodeling of this house. In Aug, my step-son is getting married. Our "business" is picking up but not going as well as we would like.

Bad things: My brother-in-law's brother passed away from cancer. Carlos ending up in the hospital in March. Dealing with hormones (hot flashes, depression, weight, etc. etc.)

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/17/10 at 6:34 am

Compared to last year, 2010 has been great so far.

2009 was a sucky year for me.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/10 at 6:38 am

I think 2010 is going ok for me,I still would like an upgrade in my position even though that might never happen cause they want me to be the "face" of the company.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/10 at 11:36 pm

I got diagnosed with ADHD this year. I am 21 and I've always felt that something was alittle 'off' about me, who know it was ADHD?

Oh, well, 2010 is the best year I've had since 1998. And 1998 was a great year!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/17/10 at 11:47 pm

I've had better years.  But at least my diabetes is getting better (the hospital doctors recommended I take about half the insulin I had been taking since 2006.

Trying to be positive, My grandma died in February but she lived a very long life.  My surgery recovery is agonizingly slow, but at least I lived thru the surgery and my insurance is paying 75% of the costs, now I just gotta figure out how to pay for that 25%...  :-\\

I got an apology from someone that I NEVER expected one from and that was nice and a surprise.

So, my 2010 has been alright considering...

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/10 at 1:06 am

I've had better years.  But at least my diabetes is getting better (the hospital doctors recommended I take about half the insulin I had been taking since 2006.

Trying to be positive, My grandma died in February but she lived a very long life.  My surgery recovery is agonizingly slow, but at least I lived thru the surgery and my insurance is paying 75% of the costs, now I just gotta figure out how to pay for that 25%...  :-\\

I got an apology from someone that I NEVER expected one from and that was nice and a surprise.

So, my 2010 has been alright considering...

It's nice to hear all the positive things in your life. I hope all the things that aren't going so good will get better.

And I hope that the year gets better as the months go by.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/18/10 at 6:41 am

I got diagnosed with ADHD this year. I am 21 and I've always felt that something was alittle 'off' about me, who know it was ADHD?

Oh, well, 2010 is the best year I've had since 1998. And 1998 was a great year!

Is it hard living with ADHD?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/10 at 9:53 pm

Is it hard living with ADHD?  ???

Oh, yes. Without medication yes!

It was easier when I was younger, but as I got older, it got worse! By the time I was 14, it became impossible to concentrate on anything and I also started to become impulsive at times. That's the H in ADHD, or Hyperactivity.

If you're a person who likes to read, like me, it can be a depressing revelation. In order to finish a 400 page book you have to be able to concentrate.  ;D

By the time I was 21 (this year), I realized I had a problem and I just had to go get help.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/19/10 at 3:36 am

So far 2010 has been quite possibly the best year of my life thus far.  I FINALLY got to fulfill my dream of studying abroad, though for a shorter period of time than I hoped.  Studying abroad in Japan for about a month and a half was the funnest month and a half I have ever had.  Made a ton of new friends I definitely want to meet again someday, somehow.  I've now been bitten by the travel/study abroad bug and fully intend to do a longer study abroad in 2011 for a semester or full academic year.  Not only that, I've been more socially outgoing this year than in previous years, so that's certainly nice.  

All in all, 2010 is great and if I do study abroad in 2011 and it's as fun as it was this year, 2011-2012 may just surpass it.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/10 at 6:34 am

Oh, yes. Without medication yes!

It was easier when I was younger, but as I got older, it got worse! By the time I was 14, it became impossible to concentrate on anything and I also started to become impulsive at times. That's the H in ADHD, or Hyperactivity.

If you're a person who likes to read, like me, it can be a depressing revelation. In order to finish a 400 page book you have to be able to concentrate.  ;D

By the time I was 21 (this year), I realized I had a problem and I just had to go get help.

My Mother thought I had ADHD when I was growing up because of my rambunkiousness.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/26/10 at 11:13 pm

Better than 2009, but still no cake walk.  2008 was one of the best years of my life (personally) even though nationally that was a horrible year.  Since I got laid off at the very end of 2008, my life has pretty much been in a standstill.  I am hoping 2011 will be the year I can get on with my life again.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/10 at 5:20 am

I think 2010 could be a little better,still I'm hoping for a promotion at Pathmark before the year is up.

Written By: Frank on 07/27/10 at 8:44 am

I think 2010 could be a little better,still I'm hoping for a promotion at Pathmark before the year is up.

Promotion to what position?

Written By: Howard on 07/27/10 at 2:46 pm

Promotion to what position?

either stock or maintainence,something other than pushing carts.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/28/10 at 7:39 am

It's been a bittersweet year and a continuation of the transitional feel of the last couple years in personal life and pop culture. I moved out and got my own place but it hasn't been very easy. I've been in and out of various temp jobs and trying to find something more enjoyable. Thinking about going back to school but still not sure if I could pull that off right now. My grandma just passed away a couple days ago, she was 92 years old and lived a long good life.

I got to go back to Cleveland and see her just before the end and it was tough seeing somebody crossing over to the other side right before my eyes, but I'm glad I got to hold her hand at the end. The last few years I haven't been speaking to my Dad's family because of what they did to my mom (not going into it here), but I did get to see them again for the first time in a while and it was like old times for a couple hours though some of them were giving me the cold shoulder and it's never gonna be the same again but for a moment it was like old times even though seeing my grandma dying was so sad.

Also seeing Cleveland itself was very depressing, it's getting even worse. I still have a love for it being my hometown but the city feels entirely rundown and empty these days.

Music has been pretty terrible this year and there's been very little which I really like, GaGa's getting way played out and not much stands out. Rock is completely dead and real r&b is hard to find on modern top 40. Hip-hop is like emoy or electro stuff at this point, it's all weird. Cheese is in full force. Fashion is bright, colorful and cheesy as ever. TV is like leftover reality tv and quirky mockumentary type shows, sitcoms completely dead. The 3D movies thing seems like a fad to me that won't make it long. The PC and physical media continue their descent as mobile devices and streaming media become the center of technology. First half of the '00s feels legitimately dated now.

Written By: joeman on 07/28/10 at 10:06 am

Be strong about moving out.  Trust me, you will gain a lot of good experiences and good habits living on your own.

As for me?  I haven't found my career job yet, and working for temp services.  Had a GF and then we had a fallout.  Started having a lot of money in my savings account but lost it half way.  Still, 2010 is still one of the best years in my life for some reason.

Rock music is dead.  Local rock station isn't playing any new music except for Ozzy's new song which I think sucks.  I hope to see some new bands around, because I am a rocker by heart.

It's been a bittersweet year and a continuation of the transitional feel of the last couple years in personal life and pop culture. I moved out and got my own place but it hasn't been very easy. I've been in and out of various temp jobs and trying to find something more enjoyable. Thinking about going back to school but still not sure if I could pull that off right now. My grandma just passed away a couple days ago, she was 92 years old and lived a long good life.

I got to go back to Cleveland and see her just before the end and it was tough seeing somebody crossing over to the other side right before my eyes, but I'm glad I got to hold her hand at the end. The last few years I haven't been speaking to my Dad's family because of what they did to my mom (not going into it here), but I did get to see them again for the first time in a while and it was like old times for a couple hours though some of them were giving me the cold shoulder and it's never gonna be the same again but for a moment it was like old times even though seeing my grandma dying was so sad.

Also seeing Cleveland itself was very depressing, it's getting even worse. I still have a love for it being my hometown but the city feels entirely rundown and empty these days.

Music has been pretty terrible this year and there's been very little which I really like, GaGa's getting way played out and not much stands out. Rock is completely dead and real r&b is hard to find on modern top 40. Hip-hop is like emoy or electro stuff at this point, it's all weird. Cheese is in full force. Fashion is bright, colorful and cheesy as ever. TV is like leftover reality tv and quirky mockumentary type shows, sitcoms completely dead. The 3D movies thing seems like a fad to me that won't make it long. The PC and physical media continue their descent as mobile devices and streaming media become the center of technology. First half of the '00s feels legitimately dated now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/10 at 12:50 pm

My condolences to you and your family.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/28/10 at 6:40 pm

That's why I always say 80's rule,no doubt about it!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...