inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Conan O'Brien going to TBS in November

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/12/10 at 12:38 pm

In a move that qualifies as a shocker, Conan O’Brien has made a deal to return to television in a new late-night show on cable — not network — television.

The former “Tonight Show” host has agreed to start a new show on TBS, the comedy-oriented cable channel in the Turner network lineup. The show will start in November and play at 11 p.m. weeknights, teamed with that network’s other late-night show, hosted by George Lopez. That show, now at 11, will slide to midnight.

The news comes as a stunner because Mr. O’Brien was known to be in talks with the Fox network, and most predictions had him moving there in September or January.

TBS was not known to be in the picture. But Mr. O’Brien’s representatives had been quietly talking with that cable network as issues continued to arise with the potential Fox deal.

The move will surely be closely examined for its implications for the future of broadcast vs. cable television, with one of the biggest stars of recent years in network television abandoning that side for cable.

In a release accompanying the announcement Mr. O’Brien said: “In three months I’ve gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I’m headed to basic cable. My plan is working perfectly.”

Mr. O’Brien begins his live concert tour in Eugene, Ore.,  Monday night.

In the statement, Steve Koonin, the president of Turner Entertainment Networks, emphasized the change from network to cable.

“For decades, late-night TV has been dominated by broadcast television,” Mr. Koonin said.  “Now, with a young audience and a growing late-night lineup, TBS is set to be the choice of comedy fans for years to come.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-will-do-a-late-night-show-on-tbs/

Subject: Re: Conan O'Brien going to TBS in November

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/10 at 2:22 pm

But not in Canada, because we don't get TBS, we get fricking Peachtree TV.

Thanks a lot CRTC!

>:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/12/10 at 2:39 pm

Thanks a lot CRTC!

Bummer.  :(

Does Conan have a big following up in Canada? If so, perhaps a letter-writing campaign to the CRTC might be in order.

Anyway, check out what Slash did on Leno's show the other night. Classic!  ;)

http://tv.gawker.com/5511584/nbc-attempts-to-edit-around-slashs-team-coco-pin

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/10 at 2:58 pm

I read an article yesterday that, basically, FOX could not figure out how to make money with a Gonad O'Brien Show.

Will be interesting to see what sort of traffic this show brings to the network. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/12/10 at 3:00 pm

I read an article yesterday that, basically, FOX could not figure out how to make money with a Gonad O'Brien Show.

Will be interesting to see what sort of traffic this show brings to the network. 

Maybe they could've put him on Fox News and gave him a show called The O'Brien Factor.   :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/10 at 3:42 pm

Bummer.  :(

Does Conan have a big following up in Canada? If so, perhaps a letter-writing campaign to the CRTC might be in order.

Anyway, check out what Slash did on Leno's show the other night. Classic!  ;)

http://tv.gawker.com/5511584/nbc-attempts-to-edit-around-slashs-team-coco-pin

Conan is really popular in Canada, so much so that when news hit that his tour would stop in Toronto, tickets sold out in a minute.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/10 at 6:31 pm

Thanks a lot CRTC!

I know.  I was so pissed off the day TBS switched to Peachtree. 

Written By: Howard on 04/12/10 at 6:40 pm

I know.  I was so pissed off the day TBS switched to Peachtree. 

What's Peachtree Tv?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/10 at 6:42 pm

What's Peachtree Tv?  ???

An independent TV station from Atlanta owned by Ted Turner

Written By: Howard on 04/12/10 at 6:44 pm

So I guess Jay Leno will stay where he is.  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/12/10 at 7:28 pm

Conan is really popular in Canada, so much so that when news hit that his tour would stop in Toronto, tickets sold out in a minute.

I know.  I was so pissed off the day TBS switched to Peachtree.  

I think come November you'll be able to watch Conan's new show in Canada.

If Conan appreciates his Canadian fans enough to bring his tour to Toronto and his show sold out as quickly as it did, then unless he completely overlooks this (which I doubt very much he will), I'm sure he and his people will try and work something out with TBS and/or the CRTC so his new show can air in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his fans at the Toronto show bring this to his attention.

Still, if you feel so strongly about this then why not write Conan telling him how much you enjoy his show and asking him not to leave his Canadian fans in the dark? He seems like the type who genuinely appreciates his fans and might very well reply to you.

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/13/10 at 1:34 am

Thanks a lot CRTC!

But won't most of the good stuff he does, jokes, skits, etc, show up on the internet? Hulu, YouTube, TBS.com and so forth? You should still be able to see him that way (maybe a day or hour or two late, but still get to log on and see the good stuff). Heck, I don't have cable, and haven't since 2008, because most of broadcast and cable TV is found free online. Most of the TV I watch is found streaming on the internet, and quite frankly I haven't missed a thing.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/10 at 6:46 pm

But won't most of the good stuff he does, jokes, skits, etc, show up on the internet? Hulu, YouTube, TBS.com and so forth? You should still be able to see him that way (maybe a day or hour or two late, but still get to log on and see the good stuff). Heck, I don't have cable, and haven't since 2008, because most of broadcast and cable TV is found free online. Most of the TV I watch is found streaming on the internet, and quite frankly I haven't missed a thing.  ;)

Most times no, because of that little prompt that says "This video is not available for viewing in your country" :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/10 at 9:04 pm

Oh boy, TBS!  That's just a step about the home-shopping network!
:D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/14/10 at 4:38 pm

He was in Vancouver yesterday, and apparently the show rocked!

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=2906321

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/14/10 at 7:56 pm

Congrats to Conan!  I'll be watching this September.  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/02/10 at 6:31 pm

Conan will be giving his interview, to 60 Minutes, today.

And Obama gave his take on the whole thing, too!

;D

This time it was at the expense of White House Correspondents' Association dinner headliner Jay Leno.

Obama dinged Leno as "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine."

Obama also said he was glad he was before Leno.

Obama told the 3,000-strong mix of celebrities, elected officials, political appointees and journalists that "we've all seen what happens when you take the time slot after Leno."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005277/board/thread/162111022

Written By: Howard on 05/02/10 at 6:45 pm

So who's going to be Conan's first guest?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/03/10 at 2:21 pm

So who's going to be Conan's first guest?

Jay Leno.  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/10 at 4:40 pm

I saw Gonad's  interview on 60 Minutes.  I have some word for him:

"Hey Gonad... it's a big bad world out there and people look out for themselves.  Don't be surprised that Leno did not stand up for you.  His first duty was to stand up for himself, not you."

Gonad had better hope that the TBS show has fantastic ratings, or he'll be eating crow by the bowlful.

(Same can be said about Leno too, if the Tonite Show tanks...)  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 05/03/10 at 4:50 pm

Well Conan tanked the Tonight Show after being handed the silver microphone.  We can only see if he can redeem himself.

Check for new replies or respond here...