inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How come Britney Spears don't dance like she used to?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 4:10 am

I'm a Britney Spears fan and I'm just curious to other people's theories on why Miss Spears just can't dance like she used to.

My theory: The girl's lost her passion. Years of mental instability and bad press really wounded this girl's psyche. It's hard to get your passion back when you go through so much like she did.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering I did get the idea for this thread from the "What is the best way to tell apart a street scene from 2000 and 2009?" in the 2000's section. Gibbo replied to that topic and it gave me an idea for this subject.  ;D

Subject: Re: How come Britney Spears don't dance like she used to?

Written By: gibbo on 04/18/10 at 4:34 am

I'm a Britney Spears fan and I'm just curious to other people's theories on why Miss Spears just can't dance like she used to.

My theory: The girl's lost her passion. Years of mental instability and bad press really wounded this girl's psyche. It's hard to get your passion back when you go through so much like she did.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering I did get the idea for this thread from the "What is the best way to tell apart a street scene from 2000 and 2009?" in the 2000's section. Gibbo replied to that topic and it gave me an idea for this subject.  ;D

I thought as much.... ;D

I think she has a lot more to focus on these days (kids etc). It takes a lot of work to get back those lost yards and (you are correct)...it takes passion to do this. I would prefer her to simply cease to perform live if it cannot be done honestly. She lip syncs and her backup singers and dancers do the bulk of the work.She needs to practice with passion and purpose.

Basically, if you don't use it...you lose it!

Written By: Howard on 04/18/10 at 6:33 am

Maybe she doesn't have much focus as she used to when growing up,Being a mother and having a child kind of lost her focus.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 9:49 am

I also heard that when she did something to her leg or knee? in 2004 it really screwed up her legs and she could never dance again!

I also heard that she might be on bipolar meds (if she is bipolar) and that somehow affects her (I heard it from someone).

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 9:50 am

And she also did something to her knee? in 1999 when filming the video "Sometimes".

Written By: tv on 04/18/10 at 11:35 am

People mention that she had kids on this thread as to why she doesn't dance like she used to. What about age? I mean she was 17 when she debut onto the music scene now she's like 28 or 29 now.

I know in sports age is a factor I mean a wide reciever like Terrell Owens doesn't run as fast as he used to.

Written By: JTCool on 04/18/10 at 11:52 am

I think you have to also factor in the fact that she had so much fame and freedom given to her over the course of 10 years. I think there were always signs she was going to have a breakdown. Once she got married and had it annulled in a 55 hour period in 2004, it just all went down hill from there. And by that time her music wasn't really popular anymore. In 2003 she had her last big hit with "Toxic".

I will give her props for making somewhat of a comeback in these last 2 years or so, but at the same time you can still see she is not completely well. It's kind of sad to see interviews of her when she first began where she seemed to have so much drive and passion; and then see her kind of lose herself in her own fame.

Written By: tv on 04/18/10 at 12:38 pm

I think you have to also factor in the fact that she had so much fame and freedom given to her over the course of 10 years. I think there were always signs she was going to have a breakdown. Once she got married and had it annulled in a 55 hour period in 2004, it just all went down hill from there. And by that time her music wasn't really popular anymore. In 2003 she had her last big hit with "Toxic".

I will give her props for making somewhat of a comeback in these last 2 years or so, but at the same time you can still see she is not completely well. It's kind of sad to see interviews of her when she first began where she seemed to have so much drive and passion; and then see her kind of lose herself in her own fame.
She's had several big hits since "Toxic" was a hit in 2003.

Subject: Re: How come Britney Spears don't sing like she used to?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/18/10 at 1:17 pm

^ Because she never could.  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/18/10 at 7:02 pm

And she also did something to her knee? in 1999 when filming the video "Sometimes".

Did she bruise it? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 8:16 pm

Did she bruise it? ???

I don't know, but here's something from wikipedia...

During a rehearsal on February 11, 1999, Britney injured her left knee and needed surgery to correct it. After recuperating from receiving the surgery in March, it was filmed from April 9-10, 1999.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/10 at 9:07 pm

Why doesn't she dance like she used to?  Because her wig would fly off, and the lights bouncing off her bald head would blind her fans (all 2 of them) in the crowd LOL

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/10 at 9:25 pm

FACED!... Scratch moded!

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 11:58 pm

Oooo.... Ouch!!  8-P  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 12:19 am

Did she bruise it? ???

Why-iy-iy-iy
dontcha use it/
Try-iy-iy-iy-iy not bruise it
Buy time, don't lose it...

--Duran Duran

:-\\

Anyway, I didn't know that part of the anatomy was called the knee.  No wonder my doctor looked at me so funny when I said mine hurt!

Written By: superflykid2008 on 04/19/10 at 12:26 am

Ummm....maybe because she's 28...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 12:28 am

Ummm....maybe because she's 28...

That her age or her IQ?
???

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/10 at 12:47 am

I bet in 3 years she'll quit the music business.  :-X  :D

Written By: Howard on 04/19/10 at 6:35 am

I bet in 3 years she'll quit the music business.  :-X  :D

Then she'll wind up posing for Playboy,guarantee it.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/10 at 6:36 am

That her age or her IQ?
???

Her IQ.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/10 at 2:16 pm

I'd get that issue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 8:30 pm

Or Necrophiliacs Fancy.

8-P

Written By: joeman on 04/19/10 at 9:20 pm

Whats age have to do with dancing?  Modanna is still out there dancing and she is over 50.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/10 at 5:27 am

I'd get that issue.

But by what age?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/10 at 12:21 pm

Whats age have to do with dancing?  Modanna is still out there dancing and she is over 50.

Madonna is far more talented than Britney.  That's the difference.  The dancing Britney was doing at 18 was a result of relentless coaching.  Now that Britney's career is waning and everybody's made their money if her, there's no push to get her dancing.  Britney was just a creation of the corporate music biz.  Yeah, they said the same thing about Madonna in 1985, but Madonna had an innate gift for singing and dancing that I never saw in Britney.  Even after Madonna got so rich she would never have to work again (1986), she continued to do remarkable work.  It wasn't just contractual obligation, it was because she wanted to.  I don't think Britney really wants to.  It doesn't come naturally to her.  If she had her wits about her, she would set up trust funds for herself and her kids so she doesn't blow all that money and end up broke in middle age!

As for dancing, aging has a lot to do with it.  You have to be militant about diet, exercise, and practice regimens if you want to be a good dancer at 50, but no matter what, you're not going to be as limber and indefatigable as you were when you were 20.  Call it biology, call it God's plan, that's just the way it goes.
8)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/20/10 at 1:10 pm

Madonna is far more talented than Britney.  That's the difference.  The dancing Britney was doing at 18 was a result of relentless coaching.  Now that Britney's career is waning and everybody's made their money if her, there's no push to get her dancing.  Britney was just a creation of the corporate music biz.  Yeah, they said the same thing about Madonna in 1985, but Madonna had an innate gift for singing and dancing that I never saw in Britney.  Even after Madonna got so rich she would never have to work again (1986), she continued to do remarkable work.  It wasn't just contractual obligation, it was because she wanted to.  I don't think Britney really wants to.  It doesn't come naturally to her.  If she had her wits about her, she would set up trust funds for herself and her kids so she doesn't blow all that money and end up broke in middle age!

As for dancing, aging has a lot to do with it.  You have to be militant about diet, exercise, and practice regimens if you want to be a good dancer at 50, but no matter what, you're not going to be as limber and indefatigable as you were when you were 20.  Call it biology, call it God's plan, that's just the way it goes.
8)

Exactly! Britney just isn't motivated anymore. Madonna actually gives a hoot about her dancing and performing. I sometimes wonder if Britney really does care about her music, and I mean even in the beginning of her career.

Even if Madonna had her mistakes she's always seemed more mature to me than Britney.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/10 at 2:38 pm

And Madonna has been making music for 28 years since her first single "Everybody" in 1982.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/10 at 8:35 pm

And Madonna has been making music for 28 years since her first single "Everybody" in 1982.

That one was big in the clubs, but it was the Top 40 singles in '83-'84, "Holiday," "Lucky Star," and "Borderline," that made her Famous.  Then "Like a Virgin" was released late in '84 and the rest is history!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/20/10 at 11:27 pm

I'd get that issue.

Well it will come in the mail with your subscription, won't it?  ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/21/10 at 6:30 am

That one was big in the clubs, but it was the Top 40 singles in '83-'84, "Holiday," "Lucky Star," and "Borderline," that made her Famous.  Then "Like a Virgin" was released late in '84 and the rest is history!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

And her videos always had a little sexy added to them.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/24/10 at 8:38 pm

I remember what Brit did to her knee. I remember seeing her on TRL during Spring break 99 and she said a camera sung out and banged her knee.

I remember that, because I had been counting down the weeks for when  http://happyvalleynews.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/prince_symbol2.jpg was supposed to be on there!  :) So I was watchin TRL religiously at the time.  You know, before Carson Daly ot all Manorexic.

Check for new replies or respond here...