inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Seasonal holiday creep- what annoys you the most?

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/25/10 at 12:10 pm

For the past few decades, the urge by consumerists/social organizations is to continously push ahead the seasons ahead of schedule so that the event seems to arrive earlier and earlier. For instance, Apple launched it's Back-to-school campaign today, and it's not even Memorial Day yet and many pools haven't yet opened for the summer! I know many clothing stores and even arts and crafts stores stock up spring-themed items just after New Year's Day, months before real spring weather has arrived just to rose-tint the current season. I've even read a story about some Easter merchandise stocked the day after Christmas! You've probably also seen Halloween/fall stuff in July before; it just makes you hate the hot weather even more knowing that cooler days are coming. And don't get me started on Christmas.

If I'd rank it, it would be:

1. Christmas creep
2. Back-to-school-creep
3. Fall creep (partly due to some overlap with back-to-school creep)
4. Spring creep
5. Summer creep

Subject: Re: Seasonal holiday creep- what annoys you the most?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/25/10 at 12:30 pm

Christmas Creep.  Even though I know I should just accept the fact that stores are going to do it, it still gets on every nerve I have.  Especially if I'm looking for Halloween decorations and there's a bunch of Christmas stuff already up.  So annoying!  I think it's all irritating, but the Christmas stuff definitely makes me the maddest.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/10 at 2:42 pm

Back to School, Don't know why they push September when it's going to be June soon.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/25/10 at 5:22 pm

Christmas...It's turned me into a first degree Scrooge, I am sick of it by December 1st

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/10 at 5:43 pm

Christmas...It's turned me into a first degree Scrooge, I am sick of it by December 1st

I agree 110%!  I dread it.  Xmas has become little more than part of the consumer business cycle.  It only got stuck there because it coincided with the Pagan solstice festivals. 

I'm not into Santa Claus, Rudolph, or Frosty, and I don't like Xmas carols composed after about 1900, but that's all you see out there in the shopping world. 

The spiritual side of xmas has been banned from the public square.  I don't believe anybody should be compelled to be Christian, I just find the sacred and the spiritual more pleasing to the senses than a bunch of plastic garbage, thank you very much!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/saint.gif

Written By: Howard on 05/26/10 at 7:13 am

or even earlier than that. ::)

Written By: lola669 on 05/26/10 at 7:50 am

It's gotta be the Christmas Creep.

I remember when I was a kid (that makes me sound old  ;D) the stores wouldn't even be decorated until the day after Thanksgiving. 

The stores might as well carry the seasonal stuff year round.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/26/10 at 7:52 am

It's gotta be the Christmas Creep.

I remember when I was a kid (that makes me sound old  ;D) the stores wouldn't even be decorated until the day after Thanksgiving. 

The stores might as well carry the seasonal stuff year round.   ::)

yeah,makes it easier for the company.

Written By: Frank on 05/26/10 at 3:54 pm

Christmas creep. Decorations here go up after our Halloween, (which is 3 or 4 weeks before US thanksgiving.)

By mid November, I'm tired of the lights, Christmas Carols, etc...
It's all about $'s, not Christmas

Written By: nupur on 05/26/10 at 4:40 pm

Does Valentine's Day count? 'Cuz that's the "holiday" that annoys me the most!

Written By: Howard on 05/26/10 at 6:35 pm

Does Valentine's Day count? 'Cuz that's the "holiday" that annoys me the most!

I know,they start putting up Valentine's Day stuff a month earlier and then they start dressing up the place too which annoys me.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/10 at 9:52 pm

Ugh! I hate to admit it, but they're greedy and they know it. That's why they're pushing it down our throats.

It's all about the $$!  :-[

Written By: Howard on 05/27/10 at 6:41 am

Ugh! I hate to admit it, but they're greedy and they know it. That's why they're pushing it down our throats.

It's all about the $$!   :-[

Exactly,That's why they do things asinine. ::)

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/29/10 at 2:40 pm

Back-to-school creep strikes worse than ever- one commenter on this article said she got a back to school flier in the mail before their kids were actually out of school!

http://consumerist.com/2010/06/is-it-too-early-for-back-to-school-sales.html

"Public school students in Union City, NJ, just wrapped up classes earlier this week. So Consumerist reader Juhgail was caught off guard when she popped into a Staples to pick up some supplies and came upon an entire rack of back-to-school items.

She managed to snap this shot of a backpack display exhorting students to "Go back to school in style!"

"I almost FELL OVER when I saw this display in the main aisle at the front of the store!" she writes.

NYC public schools are still in session until next Monday and I know if I were a teen and saw a display like this, I'd be supremely depressed."

That most wonderful time of year or Alice Cooper commercial shall be playin' any minute now. For Staples, summer peaks in April and May.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/10 at 2:49 pm

July 4th creep,On display they got their stupid bags of charcoal and packages of bottled water,they do this a month before the holiday starts.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/10 at 8:48 pm

July 4th creep,On display they got their stupid bags of charcoal and packages of bottled water,they do this a month before the holiday starts.  ::)

You can buy fireworks legally in New Hampshire, but not in Massachusetts.  Massachusetts hates how people go up to Salem or Keene, load up on fireworks and bring them home.  The frikkin' Massachusetts state cops send an unmarked car up to spy on the fireworks dealers where they take down the plate numbers of Massachusetts cars in the lot.  As soon as these numbers are spotted coming back across the border, the Massachusetts cops pull the driver over and if he's got any fireworks, they bust him. 

Back in the 1970s, you could get hard liquor for cheaper at the NH state liquor stores than you could in Massachusetts.  Our gloriously liberal state wasn't too happy about Massachusetts residents buying cheap liquor across state lines.  Technically, out-of-state people could buy NH state liquor store hooch, but they couldn't transport it across state lines, not into Massachusetts anyway.  The one cool thing Governor Meldrim Thomson ever did was arrest the Mass. troopers spying on customers at the NH state liquor stores!  He got them for "loitering."
;D

(otherwise Thomson was a total pig)

Written By: Fairee07 on 07/01/10 at 12:42 am

I picked "back to school" because I remember how I use to just dread seeing those signs when I was in grade school.

But "Christmas" is a very close second (if I didn't like the holiday, it would have been #1). I get really annoyed when I see Christmas decorations out before Halloween  >:(  And it seems to be getting worse since I see it start to pop up in September now!! Another thing about the Christmas season that grates my nerves because I'm getting older, is that my birthday is on Feb.26th so I just hate it when people remind me that my birthday is "just around the corner"  >:(

Written By: Howard on 07/01/10 at 6:39 am

New Year's Eve creep,all these displays of party hats and party balloons with squeakers and horns being putting out a month in advance.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/10 at 12:14 pm

"Back to School" could be called Labor Day creep. 

Labor Day was always depressing growing up because school always started the following Wednesday.

Then lots of schools started opening in late August.  There would have been riots if they tried to start before Labor Day when I was in school.
>:(

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/14/10 at 6:38 am

eBay thinks it's September already:  8-P

Fall Seller Update: Sell more this holiday season

With the 2010 Holiday selling season just around the corner, updates are coming this fall to help you take full advantage of the increased holiday traffic, maximize sales, and streamline your operations.

Definately a case of over-consumerism. Can we at least have back-to-school first?

Written By: Howard on 07/14/10 at 6:42 am

eBay thinks it's September already:  8-P

Fall Seller Update: Sell more this holiday season

With the 2010 Holiday selling season just around the corner, updates are coming this fall to help you take full advantage of the increased holiday traffic, maximize sales, and streamline your operations.

Definately a case of over-consumerism. Can we at least have back-to-school first?

Fall stuff already? WTF? It's still the middle of Summer. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/10 at 2:04 pm

Fall stuff already? WTF? It's still the middle of Summer. ::)

Yeah, but I gotta start selling you a new parka on Labor Day!
:D

Written By: Howard on 07/14/10 at 6:39 pm

Yeah, but I gotta start selling you a new parka on Labor Day!
:D

Wait till it starts to get cooler. ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/17/10 at 8:45 am

I can't stand the Summer creep.  Actually I can't stand Summer at all. :P  Halloween and Christmas creeps I look forward too. 

Written By: Howard on 07/17/10 at 6:35 pm

I can't stand the Summer creep.  Actually I can't stand Summer at all. :P  Halloween and Christmas creeps I look forward too. 

When Summer arrives,they bring out the charcoal briquets,flower displays,suntan lotions, packages of water,etc...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/10 at 9:56 pm

When Summer arrives,they bring out the charcoal briquets,flower displays,suntan lotions, packages of water,etc...

Oh man, I stepped out of the car this afternoon! Between asphalt and concrete it just felt like it was 110 degrees F.  It was in the low-90s.  The sun had been beating down on the place all afternoon.  I was trying to imagine what it's like walking in Iraq with 100 lbs. of gear strapped to you!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

Written By: Howard on 07/18/10 at 6:43 am

Oh man, I stepped out of the car this afternoon! Between asphalt and concrete it just felt like it was 110 degrees F.  It was in the low-90s.  The sun had been beating down on the place all afternoon.  I was trying to imagine what it's like walking in Iraq with 100 lbs. of gear strapped to you!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

And last week in New York it was 103 degrees. :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/19/10 at 9:12 am

Perhaps it is also a Memorial Day display????  Red, White and Blue; grilling out and outdoor activities can be both, Memorial Day or 4th of July ???

I was just in Hobby Lobby last week, and Halloween and Fall were up, and they were just starting to put up the Christmas Decorations.  AS an extreme decorator for these 2 Holidays, I look early to get the best stuff, and I look late to get the cheap stuff.

I am always sad to see the Back to School Stuff; but school is just about a month away.  I will be going this week to go buy our supplies, as the next 3 weeks get's really busy and stuff gets picked over, if I wait.  Our summer is really only 2 months long :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 8:57 pm

I was just in Hobby Lobby last week, and Halloween and Fall were up, and they were just starting to put up the Christmas Decorations.  AS an extreme decorator for these 2 Holidays, I look early to get the best stuff, and I look late to get the cheap stuff.

Isn't it cheaper on post-holiday clearance?  Buy next year's this year? 
I guess the selection is crummy after the holidays.
???

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/19/10 at 9:40 pm

Isn't it cheaper on post-holiday clearance?  Buy next year's this year? 
I guess the selection is crummy after the holidays.
???
Precisely O0  So if it looks good, right away - I suggest, get it!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...