inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McDonald's Shrek Glasses recalled

Written By: snozberries on 06/04/10 at 10:23 am

Okay- so I love McDonald's more than I should and I can see a lot jokes flying about how first McDonald's tries to kill you by making you fat but it wasn't happening fast enough so now they are trying to kill you with the premiums...

or something about how the premiums are just as unhealthy as the toys...  ;D

anyway- the recent Shrek glasses McD's sold as a promotion for the fourth film have been recalled because they're toxic!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-mcdonalds-recall-20100604,0,1192411.story

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-06/54103766.jpg

Subject: Re: McDonald's Shrek Glasses recalled

Written By: Frank on 06/04/10 at 10:27 am

I head about this story in the news an hour ago. No recall has been made in Canada yet. (We also have the Shrek glasses at Mcdonalds at this time)

Written By: snozberries on 06/04/10 at 10:32 am

I head about this story in the news an hour ago. No recall has been made in Canada yet. (We also have the Shrek glasses at Mcdonalds at this time)

I just figure some of our members with young kids might not have seen it.... 

Written By: Frank on 06/04/10 at 10:35 am

I just figure some of our members with young kids might not have seen it.... 

Totally agree with ya. Karma for posting this for those who have kids out there, or other Shrek fans who may have bought glasses. Good job!

Written By: Howard on 06/04/10 at 2:30 pm

Why are they toxic?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/10 at 4:20 pm

Much ado about nothing.

Mind you, in this day and age we should not be putting lead or cadmium bearing paints on drinking glasses, but...

The risk of cadmium poisoning via Shrek glasses is absurdly low.  Junior would have to lick the paint completely off of dozens of glasses to get any ill effects.

I wonder who is responsible for vendor quality assurance at McDonald's?  I bet his arse is on the chopping block right now.    ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/10 at 7:55 pm

Why are they toxic?

Cadmium is carcinogenic.  They were using it a pigment for the enamel on the Shrek drinking glasses. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

As LB points out, the amount of cadmium in that enamel was not at a toxic level.  However, cadmium is not a chemical you want building up in your body.  There are non-toxic pigments they could have used.

No blaming the Chinese for this one.  Those glasses were made in New Jersey.  Ironically, if you drive down the Jersey turnpike with the windows open, you'll probably breathe in 100 times the amount of cadmium in the pigment on one of those glasses!
8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/10 at 11:26 pm

And it's not like these are the only things that have cadmium-based inks.

If you're going to silkscreen something onto glass, there's good odds there's some cadmium-based ink involved.  I've seen the Prop 65 warnings on the occasional beer bottle from time to time.

Probably what happened with the McD's glasses is that the amounts of soluble cadmium, when tested, were marginally above the regulation's spec, and the glasses had to be recalled.  Either that, or the limits might be more stringent for glasses that are intended to be kept and reused, rather than beer bottles intended to be used once and thrown away.

Written By: Tam on 06/04/10 at 11:46 pm

Probably what happened with the McD's glasses is that the amounts of soluble cadmium, when tested, were marginally above the regulation's spec, and the glasses had to be recalled.  Either that, or the limits might be more stringent for glasses that are intended to be kept and reused, rather than beer bottles intended to be used once and thrown away.

They were tested before they were released to the public and they were well below the regulations... however, with the regulations ever-changing, someone had them tested and it was found that they are above the new standards that are trying to be implemented.

Funny how it was an anonymous tip to Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA). I am not politically enlightened about her, so I can't make any calls here - but why make an anonymous tip? I would think that if I discovered this and had an outside test done on it, also assuming that I would have had to pay for said test - I would want the credit for discovering it...

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/10 at 11:49 pm

why make an anonymous tip? I would think that if I discovered this and had an outside test done on it, also assuming that I would have had to pay for said test - I would want the credit for discovering it...

Depends.  Could be a conspiracy by some anti-fast-food activist, could also just be that some folks don't want the publicity.  It is kinda lulzy :)

Written By: Tam on 06/04/10 at 11:52 pm

Depends.  Could be a conspiracy by some anti-fast-food activist, could also just be that some folks don't want the publicity.  It is kinda lulzy :)

Good point. I didn't think about it from that perspective. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/10 at 12:51 am

Well, I loves me one of them Wendy's double-decker bacon cheeseburgers with mayo.  Those will kill you faster than any cadmium build-up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

Written By: Howard on 06/05/10 at 5:25 am

Well, I loves me one of them Wendy's double-decker bacon cheeseburgers with mayo.  Those will kill you faster than any cadmium build-up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif

And they have twice the calories.  :o

Written By: lola669 on 06/05/10 at 11:24 am

My husband was being a butt-head when we went thru the drive-thru last night (son wanted chicken nuggets.  8-P).  He placed the order and asked for a glass, then got up to the first window and for the glass again and then we got to the third window and he asked yet again.  The girls thought he was serious and tried to explain to him that they were recalled.  He can be really annoying.  >:( ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/05/10 at 12:51 pm

My husband was being a butt-head when we went thru the drive-thru last night (son wanted chicken nuggets.  8-P).  He placed the order and asked for a glass, then got up to the first window and for the glass again and then we got to the third window and he asked yet again.  The girls thought he was serious and tried to explain to him that they were recalled.  He can be really annoying.   >:( ;D

I like him already!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/05/10 at 2:37 pm

My husband was being a butt-head when we went thru the drive-thru last night (son wanted chicken nuggets.  8-P).  He placed the order and asked for a glass, then got up to the first window and for the glass again and then we got to the third window and he asked yet again.  The girls thought he was serious and tried to explain to him that they were recalled.  He can be really annoying.   >:( ;D

So,he didn't get his glass?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 06/05/10 at 2:42 pm

So,he didn't get his glass?  ???

no because there were no glasses to get... they have all been recalled  ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/05/10 at 2:44 pm

no because there were no glasses to get... they have all been recalled  ::)

McDonalds should've made it in plastic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/10 at 12:35 am

Will the cadmium Shrek glasses get expensive in the collectors' market?  You'd have to find a vendor who could identify cadmium without damaging the printings.  Good luck.
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/10 at 5:53 am

McDonalds should've made it in plastic.

They were plastic, the designs painted on them had the cadmium.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/06/10 at 8:02 am

They were plastic, the designs painted on them had the cadmium.

No, they are glass.  I have two of them.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/10 at 9:37 am

No, they are glass.  I have two of them.

That would be more of a hazard than the cadmium.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/06/10 at 2:56 pm

That would be more of a hazard than the cadmium.

They are pretty heavy.  I would see more danger in one kid hitting his brother/sister over the head with one than the cadmium.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/10 at 12:32 am

There's something sickly looking about Shrek anyway.  He looks like some kind of metastasized tumor or something.
8-P

Written By: Howard on 06/07/10 at 6:33 am

There's something sickly looking about Shrek anyway.  He looks like some kind of metastasized tumor or something.
8-P

And what's with the talking donkey?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/10 at 1:09 pm

And what's with the talking donkey?

Ever heard of talking out yer ass?
:P

Written By: Howard on 06/08/10 at 5:23 am

Ever heard of talking out yer ass?
:P

Yes I've heard that expression before.  ::)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/09/10 at 9:52 pm

See this is why I don't buy that promotional crap. But I kinda wish I had, so I could sue till I turn blue.

Check for new replies or respond here...