inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nobody puts Carrie Bradshaw in the corner!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/04/10 at 12:06 pm

There is now a controversy about the critical reviews of the new Sex and The City movie, and how the male critics are a bit too harsh about the film, for a movie made exclusively for women.

Oddly enough, Hot Tub Time Machine and The Hangover, both films catering to a male audience, and both getting marginally better reviews, have drawn into the fray.

So should male film critics, just stick to exclusively reviewing movies for a male audience, or should be allowed to review what they choose to review?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/04/sex-and-city-critics-misogynists

Subject: Re: Nobody puts Carrie Bradshaw in the corner!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/04/10 at 12:20 pm

Gotta love this review!

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/04/10 at 1:05 pm

Let me start by saying that I have always been a big fan of Sex and the City.

I have always loved the show and the friendships between the women.  I've loved how frankly they discussed sex and relationships, and I think it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

That being said, I pretty much HATED this last movie, and couldn't agree more with what the reviewer in the video said.

The movie was full of cheesy lines, and stupid plot points, and it was just completely over the top.  It was such a horrible ending to a fabulous series.  It makes me sad - they should have known when to quit.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/04/10 at 1:14 pm

My comparison, would be with Transformers 2. The first one was fun, but pointless. The second one, just to add racist robots, lengthy padding of plot, and an ending that just went nowhere.

::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/04/10 at 1:32 pm

My comparison, would be with Transformers 2. The first one was fun, but pointless. The second one, just to add racist robots, lengthy padding of plot, and an ending that just went nowhere.

::)

I couldn't agree more.  I don't even want to see the third.  I probably still will. ( ;D) but I won't be very excited about it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/10 at 4:23 pm

There is now a controversy about the critical reviews of the new Sex and The City movie, and how the male critics are a bit too harsh about the film, for a movie made exclusively for women.

Oddly enough, Hot Tub Time Machine and The Hangover, both films catering to a male audience, and both getting marginally better reviews, have drawn into the fray.

So should male film critics, just stick to exclusively reviewing movies for a male audience, or should be allowed to review what they choose to review?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/04/sex-and-city-critics-misogynists

The reviews of this movie by male reviewers are indeed valid.

The typical man needs to know how crappy a movie is gonna be, in case his wife or GF wants him to take her to said movie.

MY idea?  Run a SITC and Porky's double-bill.  They'd pack the theatres with women and men...  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...