inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: King of Kings (aka Touchdown Jesus II) Statue to be Rebuilt

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/16/10 at 7:38 am

This from the news wires:

The recently-destroyed 62-foot-tall King of Kings statue of Jesus in Monroe Ohio will be rebuilt, as it was fully insured.  Herre's a pic of the statue before and after it was hit by lighning:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/off-the-markley/TouchdownJesus.jpg

Some people have been calling this statue "Touchdown Jesus" due to the outstretched arms, but it would really be "Touchdown Jesus II".

However the original Touchdown Jesus is not a statue, it is a mural at Notre Dame University, located in alignment with an end zone at Rockne Stadium:

http://floatingaxhead.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/touchdown_jesus.jpg

Subject: Re: King of Kings (aka Touchdown Jesus II) Statue to be Rebuilt

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 9:33 am

I'm glad they're rebuilding it if it makes them happy, but that thing looks like something you see on weird ohio . com. 

:D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/17/10 at 1:10 pm

I'm glad they're rebuilding it if it makes them happy, but that thing looks like something you see on weird ohio . com. 

I used to drive past the KoK statue every couple a months.  It sits right across Interstate 75 from Larry Flynt's Hustler Club in Monroe OH. 

(No, my business was not at the Hustler Club).  ;D

After a while the fiberclass-sheathed statue turned a light yellow color from weathering, and was known in some circles as "Big Butter Jesus".  The existing burned-out framework is now known as the "Terminator Jesus" in reference to what happened to The Terminator after Linda Hamilton burned it and twas reduced to a metal skeleton.

Hopefully the replacement status will (a) look more "lifelike" and (b) not be prone to the yellowing.  The old statue was impressive, but the styling was a little cheesy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 8:17 pm

I used to drive past the KoK statue every couple a months.  It sits right across Interstate 75 from Larry Flynt's Hustler Club in Monroe OH.  

(No, my business was not at the Hustler Club).   ;D

I had to look up Monroe.  Wow.  They managed to push him THAT far out of Cincy!  If Larry lives to be 110, they'll get him over the state line for good!  You know they've been working on it for 35 years already!

After a while the fiberclass-sheathed statue turned a light yellow color from weathering, and was known in some circles as "Big Butter Jesus".  The existing burned-out framework is now known as the "Terminator Jesus" in reference to what happened to The Terminator after Linda Hamilton burned it and twas reduced to a metal skeleton.

Hopefully the replacement status will (a) look more "lifelike" and (b) not be prone to the yellowing.  The old statue was impressive, but the styling was a little cheesy.

Don't forget MC 900 Foot Jesus who took his name from Oral Roberts' 900-foot Jesus statue.  
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Written By: Frank on 06/17/10 at 8:19 pm

Hopefully the replacement status will (a) look more "lifelike" and (b) not be prone to the yellowing.  The old statue was impressive, but the styling was a little cheesy.

They should make it easy on themselves and just put up a large cross. It's up north in Ohio so hopefully no one will think it's related to the Klan. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...