inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rest in peace, Happy Meal?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/24/10 at 12:58 pm

In thirty days, the Happy Meal could go the way of the dodo, unless they want an expensive lawsuit.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/06/cspi-sues-mcdonalds-over-happy-meal-toys/

Subject: Re: Rest in peace, Happy Meal?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/10 at 3:53 pm

The Mickey D corporation is dripping with cash and lawyers.  No way are they gonna cower from this lawsuit.

Now, if there are jurisdictions where the Happy Meal violates local ordinances, maybe we'll see Mickey adjust the offerings.  But other than that, no way they'll cave.

What's next?  Banning the Goodie Bar Man or Mister Softee because the chimes on his ice cream truck tempt the local kiddies?  Ounce for ounce, ice cream has lots more fat than a burger if I recall correctly.

Written By: JTCool on 06/24/10 at 5:53 pm

There actually could be good reason to stop the marketing. I remember being a kid and wanting to get the latest toy in the happy meal to complete whatever collection of ferbies(SP?) or whatever they had that month. Now being 17 I rarely go to McDonalds and if I do it's only for McFlurry, fries, or their breakfast. I think it's hard to go to McDonalds after watching the Super-Size Me documentry. But I think if they are going to go after them, they might as well crack down on the whole fast-food industry and finally get them to make better quality food.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/10 at 6:23 pm

I used to love those Happy Meals back in the days when I grew up,I always tried to collect most of the toys that came with it.

Written By: gibbo on 06/24/10 at 6:53 pm

My kids got a happy meal ...maybe once per month. So what if they only got one toy in a series. We didn't give in to 'pester power' ... and hey...our kids are still alive!!!

It is up to parents to dictate when their children get this treat (which also doubles as an unhealthy meal)...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/10 at 8:20 pm

The Mickey D corporation is dripping with cash and lawyers.  No way are they gonna cower from this lawsuit.

Now, if there are jurisdictions where the Happy Meal violates local ordinances, maybe we'll see Mickey adjust the offerings.  But other than that, no way they'll cave.

I was gonna say, if you really want to open a can of dumbass, sue McDonald's on shaky (NPI) grounds.  Well, it's totally legal for the fast food joints to do what they do.  The market for fast food is generally not elderly Shakespeare scholars or young rocket scientists, hence the juvenile and simplistic themes of the fast food joints.  I mean, I think their marketing strategies are deplorable, but not unconstitutional.  

What's next?  Banning the Goodie Bar Man or Mister Softee because the chimes on his ice cream truck tempt the local kiddies?  Ounce for ounce, ice cream has lots more fat than a burger if I recall correctly.

Yes on all counts.  But it's the only job you're allowed to have if you want to drive around in a van and tempt little kiddies!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil7.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icescream.gif

Written By: Howard on 06/25/10 at 5:23 am

I was gonna say, if you really want to open a can of dumbass, sue McDonald's on shaky (NPI) grounds.  Well, it's totally legal for the fast food joints to do what they do.  The market for fast food is generally not elderly Shakespeare scholars or young rocket scientists, hence the juvenile and simplistic themes of the fast food joints.  I mean, I think their marketing strategies are deplorable, but not unconstitutional.  
Yes on all counts.  But it's the only job you're allowed to have if you want to drive around in a van and tempt little kiddies!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil7.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icescream.gif

But the Mr.Softee chime is legendary.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/25/10 at 4:37 pm

McDonald will now sell Sad Meals for kids just to proove that America has been PC!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/10 at 8:25 pm

My kids got a happy meal ...maybe once per month. So what if they only got one toy in a series. We didn't give in to 'pester power' ... and hey...our kids are still alive!!!

It is up to parents to dictate when their children get this treat (which also doubles as an unhealthy meal)...

When you were a kid, didn't you ever pester your parents for days for something you were sick of as soon as you got it?

I did.  Sometimes in worked.  Sometimes it didn't. 
:)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/10 at 6:40 am

McDonald will now sell Sad Meals for kids just to proove that America has been PC!

Is that the same thing as a Happy Meal?

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/26/10 at 8:01 am

Is that the same thing as a Happy Meal?

It's one for the Emo Kids.

I actually heard the name "Sad Meals" on "Pinky and the Brain"...God, I miss 90's TV!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/10 at 7:24 pm

It's one for the Emo Kids.

;D

What about the post-emo kids?

Written By: Howard on 06/27/10 at 6:35 am

What does an Angry Meal come with?

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/27/10 at 12:56 pm

Weapons? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/27/10 at 1:46 pm

Beer?

Written By: EthanM on 06/27/10 at 3:17 pm

Angry meals should come with cold fries, non-alcoholic beer, and newspaper clippings about the economy and BP. Happy Meals are supposed to make people happy, aren't they?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/10 at 5:54 pm

Angry meals should come with cold fries, non-alcoholic beer, and newspaper clippings about the economy and BP. Happy Meals are supposed to make people happy, aren't they?

Don't forget the Henry Rollins action figure!
:D

Written By: Howard on 06/27/10 at 6:37 pm

Beer?

and a pack of cigarettes (for those who smoke)

Written By: Howard on 06/27/10 at 6:38 pm

It sure makes McDonalds happy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/10 at 7:30 pm

and a pack of cigarettes (for those who smoke)

You gotta get 'em started before age seven to establish brand identity.  Here, Billy, here's a carton of Camel Lights, smoke up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evilgrin1.gif

Written By: Howard on 06/28/10 at 5:22 am

You gotta get 'em started before age seven to establish brand identity.  Here, Billy, here's a carton of Camel Lights, smoke up!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evilgrin1.gif

or that 2 year old in Indonesia who smokes.

Check for new replies or respond here...