inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Home buying shows

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/10 at 1:57 am

I have recently become obsessed with home buying shows.
House Hunters. My first place. Property virgins.

I love em. It's probably no secret I want a house of my own so these shows ( along with hours of virtually shopping for my own home ) keeps me busy for days.

Watching one where dude, a lawyer, wants to buy in Philly

Problem is- his mom is a piece of work. Forget cutting the cord this woman chained the dude to her uterus.

She jeeps telling him she's worried about security. It's her son not her daughter moving out on her own to the inner city.

Also- for some reason mom called the broker - circumventing the guys agent- because she thought she could make a better deal.  ::)

Subject: Re: Home buying shows

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/10 at 10:41 am

I have watched my share of House Hunters (especially when we are in PR because there usually isn't much else on). I have ALWAYS loved looking at houses. I even had dreams where I am in some house that I have never been in before and just go from room to room exploring. I think I must have been a real estate agent in a previous life. Right now, I actually am more interested in the home improvement shows rather than the home buying shows because that is what I am trying to do-improve my home-and I get ideas from those shows.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/10 at 12:52 pm

I have watched my share of House Hunters (especially when we are in PR because there usually isn't much else on). I have ALWAYS loved looking at houses. I even had dreams where I am in some house that I have never been in before and just go from room to room exploring. I think I must have been a real estate agent in a previous life. Right now, I actually am more interested in the home improvement shows rather than the home buying shows because that is what I am trying to do-improve my home-and I get ideas from those shows.

Cat

Home improvement shows are fun.
I found a house I really want. It's two blocks from the Paley center.
The only problem is (besides the fact that it's about 6 million dollars)
Is that it once belonged to charlie chaplains wife.

Obviously I'm just dreaming here but here's the issue.

It is absolutely not my style. Bbut- my dream house is close proximity to Paley
So- is itwrong to want to renovate/update something that us a piece of classic Hollywood history?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/27/10 at 1:16 pm

Check out the show, Holmes At Homes, it's a real eye opener.

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/10 at 3:32 pm

^ I love that show. Mike Holmes comes in and fixes other contractors screw ups.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/10 at 3:56 pm

I like Holmes on Homes. Every time I see the show, I want to call him to fix our kitchen that our contractor f***ed up.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/10 at 5:57 pm

I like Holmes on Homes. Every time I see the show, I want to call him to fix our kitchen that our contractor f***ed up.

Cat

I was thinking about you when I made my post

So no comments about whether it's wrong to change a Hollywood home? When it's a piece of iconic history?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/10 at 6:04 pm

I was thinking about you when I made my post

So no comments about whether it's wrong to change a Hollywood home? When it's a piece of iconic history?

That's a tough call. Of course lately, (as you know) I have been getting into antiques-so the thought of doing a house in contemporary furnishings, especially if the house has a history to it, to me is almost sacrilegious. But, that's me. I think there is a way you can do it contemporary but still keep that vintage quality/feel to it.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/27/10 at 7:18 pm

Cat

I sometimes like to watch that because I find it interesting. As well as "Designed To Sell", which is all about the homeowner(s) preparing their home for sale, with help from the hosts and a given budget of money.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/01/10 at 3:30 pm

Home improvement shows are fun.
I found a house I really want. It's two blocks from the Paley center.
The only problem is (besides the fact that it's about 6 million dollars)
Is that it once belonged to charlie chaplains wife.

Obviously I'm just dreaming here but here's the issue.

It is absolutely not my style. Bbut- my dream house is close proximity to Paley
So- is itwrong to want to renovate/update something that us a piece of classic Hollywood history?

I need more information.  Would you just gut it and modernize the entire thing? 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/01/10 at 3:30 pm

My favorite HGTV show is Color Splash.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE David Bromstad

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/01/10 at 3:44 pm

I like House Hunters, but have you ever noticed that they show one option that is just completely ridiculous.  There will be two options that are pretty good, and then there is normally a third that you're just going "who in their right mind would ever buy that house?" 

My favorite is House Hunters International.  I'd love to buy a house someplace far away and tropical. (COUGHCATCOUGH  ;))  I soooo live vicariously through that show.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/01/10 at 4:35 pm

I like House Hunters, but have you ever noticed that they show one option that is just completely ridiculous.  There will be two options that are pretty good, and then there is normally a third that you're just going "who in their right mind would ever buy that house?" 

My favorite is House Hunters International.  I'd love to buy a house someplace far away and tropical. (COUGHCATCOUGH  ;))  I soooo live vicariously through that show.

You can come and visit us any time we are there (usually in Jan/Feb).

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/10 at 5:17 pm

I think the home owners look at several options and decide which three they concidering viable potential homes. Perhaps there are some that are way worse than the option shown.

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/10 at 5:20 pm

^ oh it kills me when there is an obvious perfect option but they font choose it because it's a mile too far or they don't like the carpet.
Ya know some ridiculous reason.

I saw the most beautiful single family beach house on international it had gorgeous views and a fantastic layout. But the idiots went with a more expensive condo because the wife was stupid. :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/10 at 5:21 pm

I haven't watched that but I will.

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/10 at 5:26 pm

I need more information.  Would you just gut it and modernize the entire thing? 

I'll post a link when I get to a computer.
I woudnt hit it. Well I'd probably gut the kitchen but mostly I'd want to remove some ornate fixtures and change paint and shyt. Oh and I'd gut the bathroom

Ash picture sitting on the Paley sidewalk. Remember where Baka fresh is? On block past that. Half a block actually. The location couldn't be more perfect for me.

Okay Bbaka should be baja and on block should be one block

My phone won't let me me make changes when the posts are this long.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/01/10 at 6:59 pm

Cat

Any time I do some remodeling in my house, I always make sure to do it right.  Otherwise I am afraid that Mike Holmes will show up and kick my ass.  ;D

Written By: lola669 on 08/02/10 at 11:04 am

I like this show but I can not stand David's laugh, reminds me of Herman Munster.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/10 at 3:30 pm

here's the link  http://www.trulia.com/property/3011934409-523-N-Beverly-Dr-Beverly-Hills-CA-90210

Here's an exterior... I'm assuming the furniture goes with the owner...if any of it comes with the house its all going in storage or on ebay!  ;)

The windows of the guest house or garage or whatever that is behind the tree need changing... I want to do them more like the windows across the way (on the main house)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh85c52a7a8cc1546aa588b11cc11a7cf-ps68259eea9e1b831cd1788124be55a96.jpg

I'm thinking the trellis by the door needs to go...I can't tell if the interior frame is pink or that's just a trick of the lighting but if the frame or anything else in the house is pink it's gone!!!  :P

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh8093999280588e626a7f4f7aae18f93d-ps6c31b1f5f027f3701ad3edd74ed79c5a.jpg

I'm not digging the green outdoor carpet under the patio

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh7fb1b05f512aba681937b54c4d4b338-ps85e25463d1319d38eae533d4eb7c28.jpg

also I'm not a big fan of the windows.. I could live with them but not forever...

* see the window behind the tree in pic three? That's what I'd want all the windows to look like square panes not diamond patterned.

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/10 at 3:35 pm

as for the interior

I love the floors but the mural or whatever that paint job is on the walls has to go....and I'm not in love with any of the lighting fixtures.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh562eae40bad6348f195be9b617c8bf5-psb32da22c5cf4b573f57471999227adc3.jpg

This room is not bad....except for those trelis looking doors on either side of the fireplace

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh74818bb73f5fabdbb936a96af0a6f-pse9e3f72ebe768188b9561f8ce05e2a8a.jpg

I LOVE THIS ROOM (cept for the stupid diamond windows)  if any of you have diamond window panes I'm sure it's quite lovely....just not my style.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uhb9e5b58178ab4806449d6ddb9b622f-ps70e373ff7441766114228df2abed6f.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/10 at 3:39 pm

The dining room has a lot of promise but the mirrors and the light fixture have to go

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh47dd127d2019b8b583bbff44a845077-ps553c24b939338c1f6dde268d9b817c93.jpg

The kitchen needs a complete overhaul

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uhc5af51d8e4f97eb9849f8ebabef356b7-psb79db76d3336db01b841223bd86da3d.jpg

I don't have much use for a bar but I'd probably keep this room as is just because I like the vintage vibe I get from it...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh9076c723e768fee8542a5b14dc7fbabc-ps7d255aab7ae422a2ebad4b97121120.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/10 at 3:41 pm

Finally.... tho I could go on! lol!

HELLO! WALLPAPER!!! You must die!!!!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh51cf67c62e8a68c5df387c2311defaa-ps41b43d573df0786aa28bb074c8e4237.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh278b3218b6a44fb6a50ee7d74e4ac88-psb329c784b4a614b7ed65699e8d1d5e8.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/10 at 3:46 pm

It is a beautiful house but I can see why it is not your style (or mine for that matter). I agree with you on the wallpaper.  8-P  Actually, I agree with you on most of your comments.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/10 at 3:48 pm

sorry I had resized all the pics via photobucket to be the same size as the very first one but some reason the sizing didn't hold...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/10 at 5:15 pm

^ oh it kills me when there is an obvious perfect option but they font choose it because it's a mile too far or they don't like the carpet.
Ya know some ridiculous reason.

I saw the most beautiful single family beach house on international it had gorgeous views and a fantastic layout. But the idiots went with a more expensive condo because the wife was stupid. :P

I saw that one!!!  Was it the St. Martin one? 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/10 at 5:16 pm

here's the link  http://www.trulia.com/property/3011934409-523-N-Beverly-Dr-Beverly-Hills-CA-90210

Here's an exterior... I'm assuming the furniture goes with the owner...if any of it comes with the house its all going in storage or on ebay!  ;)

The windows of the guest house or garage or whatever that is behind the tree need changing... I want to do them more like the windows across the way (on the main house)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh85c52a7a8cc1546aa588b11cc11a7cf-ps68259eea9e1b831cd1788124be55a96.jpg

I'm thinking the trellis by the door needs to go...I can't tell if the interior frame is pink or that's just a trick of the lighting but if the frame or anything else in the house is pink it's gone!!!  :P

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh8093999280588e626a7f4f7aae18f93d-ps6c31b1f5f027f3701ad3edd74ed79c5a.jpg

I'm not digging the green outdoor carpet under the patio

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh7fb1b05f512aba681937b54c4d4b338-ps85e25463d1319d38eae533d4eb7c28.jpg

also I'm not a big fan of the windows.. I could live with them but not forever...

* see the window behind the tree in pic three? That's what I'd want all the windows to look like square panes not diamond patterned.

That place is gorgeous!  I can totally see you living there, and me swimming in that pool!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/10 at 5:17 pm

Finally.... tho I could go on! lol!

HELLO! WALLPAPER!!! You must die!!!!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh51cf67c62e8a68c5df387c2311defaa-ps41b43d573df0786aa28bb074c8e4237.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/home/picture-uh278b3218b6a44fb6a50ee7d74e4ac88-psb329c784b4a614b7ed65699e8d1d5e8.jpg

What an incredible house.  I want to move in with you.

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 6:47 pm

I saw that one!!!  Was it the St. Martin one? 

I don't remember... I saw it in AZ I watched a lot of em in AZ--- I needed the distraction lol....

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 6:48 pm

That place is gorgeous!  I can totally see you living there, and me swimming in that pool!

for Ash--- I'd make an exception to my no sharing my space with other people! I know we'd get along....and the dogs would have plenty of room to play!

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 7:39 pm

DOWN SIZING!!!! IT MEANS: CLEANING OUT YOUR LIFE AND MOVING INTO SMALLER, MORE MANAGEABLE SPACE... WTF!!!

I've seen two eps now where the couple wants to "Downsize" but when they look at houses they complain because "this room is smaller than what we have now" or "this garage won't hold my stuff"  One dude had a 3 car garage that stuffed wall to wall/floor to rafters of crap and rather than cleaning it out he wanted to move all that crap into a downsizeable home!  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 8:06 pm

maybe it's because I'm in Cali so I just don't get it.... but "basement"  that's an area that's below ground underneath the house- right?

In the past year I have seen more "basements" that have windows and doors that open up to the backyard.... um.... isn't that just a lower level of a home that has been elevated? I mean occasionally the house is kind of on a hill and the main living area is above the yard so a lower level is built onto the house. There's a deck from the main level with stairs going down to the yard and then doors from the lower living space that open to the yard... maybe I'm wrong but I would never refer to the lower living area as a basement... a basement is a room that is completely submerged below ground.... .right?

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 10:59 pm

just saw this item in a House Hunters Int'L....

http://manolohome.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/toilet-sink.jpg

It's a space saver but I think I prefer the traditional separate toilet and sink.

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 11:02 pm

look...it comes in stainless steel....fancy  ::)

http://www.sinksfaucetsandmore.com/ProductImages/neo-metro/NEOM-8960.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/10 at 11:36 am

Just the thought of brushing my teeth over the toilet just... 8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 3:45 pm

Just the thought of brushing my teeth over the toilet just... 8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Eeewww.... funny thing- brushing never, ever came to mind. I was only thinking about hand washing after going.  I thought... what an attractive view if you don't put the lid down....plus you get that backsplash all over ya.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/10 at 4:27 pm

Eeewww.... funny thing- brushing never, ever came to mind. I was only thinking about hand washing after going.  I thought... what an attractive view if you don't put the lid down....plus you get that backsplash all over ya.  :D

The stainless steel has a toothbrush on it.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 5:22 pm

Good eye... I totally missed that!  methinks you've been putting us on all along  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/10 at 5:29 pm

Good eye... I totally missed that!  methinks you've been putting us on all along  ;)

My SIL always says, "How come someone who is blind sees stuff that I miss?"  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 5:30 pm

My SIL always says, "How come someone who is blind sees stuff that I miss?"  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

exactly!

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/07/10 at 8:54 am

The toilets above look like they belong in a prison cell :P

I LOVE DIY and HGTV - Especially the kitchen and bath shows!  Since that is what I want improved the most ::)

Did I ever mention when we were at another county fair, there was a contractor who had a model kitchen there.  I told Hubby I just wanted to go look at it.  It was a Bertch kitchen (made here in Iowa) the model was for sale (originally a $30,000+ kitchen) for 8,000 OBO.  He wanted to get a new model kitchen.  He came looked at our house, measured and LOOKS like the kitchen will work well (we will only have to buy a couple extra cabinets) - the counter top won't work (so he will keep it) - I MAY GET A NEW KITCHEN  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/07/10 at 10:45 am

The toilets above look like they belong in a prison cell :P

I LOVE DIY and HGTV - Especially the kitchen and bath shows!  Since that is what I want improved the most ::)

Did I ever mention when we were at another county fair, there was a contractor who had a model kitchen there.  I told Hubby I just wanted to go look at it.  It was a Bertch kitchen (made here in Iowa) the model was for sale (originally a $30,000+ kitchen) for 8,000 OBO.  He wanted to get a new model kitchen.  He came looked at our house, measured and LOOKS like the kitchen will work well (we will only have to buy a couple extra cabinets) - the counter top won't work (so he will keep it) - I MAY GET A NEW KITCHEN  :D

I am SOOOOO jealous. We got a new kitchen last year but it has to be redone because the @$$hole who did it, didn't know WTF he was doing. We did win in Small Claims Court against him but who knows if we will ever receive one dime from him to pay a contractor who KNOWS what he/she is doing.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/07/10 at 12:15 pm

That's great news Sami.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/07/10 at 10:04 pm

I am SOOOOO jealous. We got a new kitchen last year but it has to be redone because the @$$hole who did it, didn't know WTF he was doing. We did win in Small Claims Court against him but who knows if we will ever receive one dime from him to pay a contractor who KNOWS what he/she is doing.

Cat
That sooo sucks, I know about poor work.  I had GOOD contractors do stuff, but they started to cut corners - because I left my husband deal with them, till I started calling them on it.  :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/07/10 at 10:07 pm

That's great news Sami.

Thanks - I am excited to see his plan (he is trying to use the cabinets he has, so we will only have to buy minimal extras) - so he is drawing up something. I hoped he would get it done this week, so I could see it before I left for fair - but I guess I will have to wait (he just measured our kitchen on Monday Night ;))  and he works as a contractor for a company full time, this is his part time gig

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/07/10 at 10:13 pm

I think I keep hanging outside Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards hoping that Josh Temple will ask what I am buying and "crash" my House!  Love House Crashers 8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/08/10 at 1:25 am

Thanks - I am excited to see his plan (he is trying to use the cabinets he has, so we will only have to buy minimal extras) - so he is drawing up something. I hoped he would get it done this week, so I could see it before I left for fair - but I guess I will have to wait (he just measured our kitchen on Monday Night ;))  and he works as a contractor for a company full time, this is his part time gig

we want pics when possible...

Written By: snozberries on 08/08/10 at 1:25 am

I think I keep hanging outside Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards hoping that Josh Temple will ask what I am buying and "crash" my House!  Love House Crashers 8)

I want the bathroom guy to crash my bathroom.... no I need the bathroom guy to crash my bathroom...

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/08/10 at 11:46 am

I want the bathroom guy to crash my bathroom.... no I need the bathroom guy to crash my bathroom...
Yep!  I have 2 more of those too - but really it can be any part of my house!  I just would like the House Crashers, before the Yard Crashers come O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/10 at 11:55 am

I could NEVER do that because I have particular tastes and I wouldn't want ANYONE designing my house for me. Besides, I LOVE shopping for all of that stuff-like I'm having fun shopping for our new/old furniture for our dinning room. It does take a while for the right piece to come up but I do enjoy looking.

In case people don't know this about me, I LOVE shopping-well from where I am sitting right now. I look and look and look until the RIGHT thing (whatever it is I am shopping for) comes up. That is how I found a house down in Puerto Rico-yup, I found it sitting in the chair I am sitting in right now.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/10 at 1:01 pm

Thats the kind of commode they install in prison cells.

I would not mind a stainless commode, but not one with a sink on it!  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 08/08/10 at 4:38 pm

Yep!  I have 2 more of those too - but really it can be any part of my house!  I just would like the House Crashers, before the Yard Crashers come O0

well I barely have a house and my kitchen is more a half wall kitchenette and my bedroom works for me so really.... all I have room for anyone to do is my bath... it's not even my house but I think the landlord would love the results.... she on the other hand could use house crashers....tho I've only seen kitchen and bath so I need to watch an ep of HC so I an be better versed in what they tackle and what kind of budget they have.

Written By: snozberries on 08/08/10 at 4:40 pm

Thats the kind of commode they install in prison cells.

I would not mind a stainless commode, but not one with a sink on it!  8-P

the ep of House Humters Int'l I was watching was in Japan.... the apt was small..... really, really small  so I guess they needed the commode sink combo to save space.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/10 at 1:07 pm

just saw this item in a House Hunters Int'L....

http://manolohome.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/toilet-sink.jpg

It's a space saver but I think I prefer the traditional separate toilet and sink.

That looks miniature.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/10 at 1:08 pm

No.  No no no. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/10 at 1:12 pm

I just finished painting my kitchen.  It's a really light yellow and I LOVE it.  Next comes the living room.  I am currently trying to find someone to do it for me though - no joke.  I am painting two walls kind of a muted turquoise color, and it has to be perfect.  So I think it needs to be done by a professional.  Plus there is all sorts of white trim...and I just don't think I have a steady enough hand to do it all myself!  I will post pics when everything is done.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/10 at 1:49 pm

I just finished painting my kitchen.  It's a really light yellow and I LOVE it.  Next comes the living room.  I am currently trying to find someone to do it for me though - no joke.  I am painting two walls kind of a muted turquoise color, and it has to be perfect.  So I think it needs to be done by a professional.  Plus there is all sorts of white trim...and I just don't think I have a steady enough hand to do it all myself!  I will post pics when everything is done.

We don't have to worry about that around here because Carlos INSIST upon white walls because he feels it complements our tiger maple trim so painting is easy. I don't mind the white walls. I pick my battles-so I will FIGHT for the furniture I REALLY want.  ;)  Oh, and I do hire someone to do the painting because I am just lazy.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/10 at 1:39 pm

so I'm still watching plenty of these shows and I get annoyed by people! yesterday or day before- they've run together... I watch one where a single mom has a 15yr old son and an adopted 14 yr old girl- she adopted the girl from china when she was 7. anyway- the mom gave up her master bedroom for her son and the girl slept in the second bedroom...the mom was sleeping in an office so her spoiled brats wouldn't have to be put out....

mom ended up buying a 1.2 million dollar home. She now has the master suite to herself and the kids each get a room with an ensuite bath...  ::)    I'm sorry those kids were obnoxious and needed to get jobs and learn about the real world. Even the girl from China seemed like she'd forgotten what the harsh realities of life are..... I couldn't have been more annoyed.

Then I saw one- I'd seen it before- where a mom, her adolescent daughter with allergies, and the mom's BF were looking for a place.
They couldn't buy a house because the girl had an allergic reaction to it....there was a cat in the room...get rid of the cat, the furniture and perhaps the carpet  and- presumably the issue would go away right?? nope they based their decision on the immediate factors of the house...  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 1:39 am

okay- so my daily marathons continue... the more I watch people bitch and moan because this closet is too small or the room just isn't as big as the one I saw at this one house I get more frustrated.... Be effing grateful you can buy a house...

having said that tho I am equally amazed at the people who look at "nothing" and get all excited about it...

I saw one last night- granted the couple was renting a super small space... they looked at this one house that was about 1200 sqft and went into the "master" bath  which was a toilet, tub/shower combo and a one sink vanity - basically your everyday apt sized bathroom....they looked at the lonely solo cabinet under the sink with one teeny tiny drawer and shreiked "Oh honey look! There's so much space in here!!!!"  it was sad really.... really really sad so of course.... I laughed  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 1:43 am

and... since I'm talking to myself apparently....

remember when white kichen appliances were all the rage.... that was what? mid to late 80s?

black appliances were the rage in the mid to late 90s? 

now its all Stainless steel and granite... I wonder what will be next.

It's actually sad when people walk into kitchens and get upset that it has all white appliances or all black instead of stainless steel... maybe it's because I have no kitchen...but, unless its Harvest gold or Avacado green it's good enough for me!!!

I do though, wonder what's next. I wonder if in 10 or 15 years we will be watching old eps of these shows and laughing at people because their appliances are all stainless.

heck.. I am a complete TV phile... I have never met a TV I didn't like... and I found myself ridiculing a couple because of the tv they had..... what the hell!  :o

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 1:44 am

I used to be a real estate agent... actually I technically still am, but I'm inactive.

I like watching those shows too, but they seem really phony and staged to me.  House Hunters is the same scenario almost every time: one is too small, one is too expensive, and one isn't the best neighborhood.   It just doesn't happen that often like that in real life.  

I still like watching it though, because I love looking at houses.

There was one show awhile back called "Sell This House!"  People would come in and look at a house, complain about how horrible it was, then this team would come in and revamp it, and the same buyers would come back going "Wow, I can't believe this is the same house!" :D  So obviously scripted.

It was funny because so many of the so-called buyers would come in after the house was re-vamped, and say things like "Oh, I LOVE the window treatments!"  Huh?  Nobody says "window treatments" unless they're in the industry... an ordinary buyer says curtains, blinds, etc. ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 1:47 am

It's actually sad when people walk into kitchens and get upset that it has all white appliances or all black instead of stainless steel... maybe it's because I have no kitchen...but, unless its Harvest gold or Avacado green it's good enough for me!!!

I actually like the retro/vintage type stuff.  I'd love to have one of those old refrigerators with the lever handle.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:06 am

I used to be a real estate agent... actually I technically still am, but I'm inactive.

AWESOME.... wanna reactivate when I win the lotto and go looking for a house of my own? I'm pretty picky tho.. I'm probably going to put those whiners I complain about to shame...  ;D

I like watching those shows too, but they seem really phony and staged to me.  House Hunters is the same scenario almost every time: one is too small, one is too expensive, and one isn't the best neighborhood.  It just doesn't happen that often like that in real life. 

as someone who has a great interest in TV production I can tell you that it's by design.  A) without drama and conflict there is nothing interesting to watch so there always has to be one house that is completely opposite what the couple wants.

truth is the couple have probably seen 30 homes and picked three that they wanted to revisit. meaning that I by no means believe that walk thru is the first time the couple has seen the house. no way they can decide what they want in just three selections. They have a list of homes and select the one they one to buy, the one that's close second and something on the bottom of their list that they'd settle for (or not) if they had to... 

Actually they probably have few houses on the list because they have to get the owner's permission to show the house on TV so there are probably a few houses put on the list that have to be taken off because the owners said no...

I love listening to the people talk. Some sound totally natural so it's easy to believe its happening for the first time, but a lot sound forced and scripted. I love when they walk into a house and make genius observations like "I guess this is the kitchen" hmmm could the refrigerator & stove have tipped you off maybe?  ::) 

or sometimes its the realtor... listen to how they talk to the couple, with exaggerated tones  "So Becky, here's that closet you were looking for. can YOU see YOUR shoes in HERE??"  ;D

I also have an ear for ADR (automated dialogue replacement) so I often play the identify the ADR moments game.... sometimes watching TV with me is only fun for me!  ;)

I still like watching it though, because I love looking at houses.

yeah I could look at houses all day long!

There was one show awhile back called "Sell This House!"  People would come in and look at a house, complain about how horrible it was, then this team would come in and revamp it, and the same buyers would come back going "Wow, I can't believe this is the same house!" :D  So obviously scripted.

never saw that but I have watched get it sold which is basically the same concept.

It was funny because so many of the so-called buyers would come in after the house was re-vamped, and say things like "Oh, I LOVE the window treatments!"  Huh?  Nobody says "window treatments" unless they're in the industry... an ordinary buyer says curtains, blinds, etc. ;D

actually people who watch home repair shows pick the terminology and use it to sound like they know what they are talking about.... it's sort of like how after the first year of American Idol everyone went around going "she's a good signer but sometimes she's a little pitchy" it was the one thing they could identify and they ran with it  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:07 am

I actually like the retro/vintage type stuff.  I'd love to have one of those old refrigerators with the lever handle.

give me one of those 1920s wood burning stoves and I'd be all over it (I would still want a real working stove) or a modern stove that looked retro like that but no... I'm am probably never going to enjoy the 1970s fab appliances.... ever!  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 2:22 am

AWESOME.... wanna reactivate when I win the lotto and go looking for a house of my own? I'm pretty picky tho.. I'm probably going to put those whiners I complain about to shame...  ;D

Even if I did reactivate, I wouldn't know the first thing about real estate in Southern Cal... there are different standards as far as who pays for what, and I wouldn't know what is a good price, etc... but I can definitely give you some pointers, some real estate agents are slick and will try to steer you to homes that will make them the most money...

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 2:31 am

truth is the couple have probably seen 30 homes and picked three that they wanted to revisit. meaning that I by no means believe that walk thru is the first time the couple has seen the house. no way they can decide what they want in just three selections. They have a list of homes and select the one they one to buy, the one that's close second and something on the bottom of their list that they'd settle for (or not) if they had to... 

Actually they probably have few houses on the list because they have to get the owner's permission to show the house on TV so there are probably a few houses put on the list that have to be taken off because the owners said no...

That's possible... I always thought it was more of a scenario where the producers make it financially worth it for the buyer to choose one of the three homes featured... maybe by paying realtor fees or buying the home outright and charging the buyers really low interest or something.  Something along the lines of Judge Judy where the show pays the settlement.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:50 am

Even if I did reactivate, I wouldn't know the first thing about real estate in Southern Cal... there are different standards as far as who pays for what, and I wouldn't know what is a good price, etc... but I can definitely give you some pointers, some real estate agents are slick and will try to steer you to homes that will make them the most money...

that'll work!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:51 am

That's possible... I always thought it was more of a scenario where the producers make it financially worth it for the buyer to choose one of the three homes featured... maybe by paying realtor fees or buying the home outright and charging the buyers really low interest or something.   Something along the lines of Judge Judy where the show pays the settlement.

I don't know that they have a budget high enough to do that. mostly they just get lucky that so many people want to put their dumb asses on TV.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 9:24 am

remember when white kichen appliances were all the rage.... that was what? mid to late 80s?

I do though, wonder what's next. I wonder if in 10 or 15 years we will be watching old eps of these shows and laughing at people because their appliances are all stainless.

heck.. I am a complete TV phile... I have never met a TV I didn't like... and I found myself ridiculing a couple because of the tv they had..... what the hell!  :o
The couples tv must not have worked  :o

Hey I had a kitchen in my apartment that had a almond refrigerator (it was new - in 95 ), a brown stove, a avocado microwave - HUGE, and a goldenrod dishwasher.  They made me laugh, but since they worked who cared.  At my house growing up, we only replaced what needed replacing, so the fridge and the stove never matched, or the washer and dryer for that matter.  Even right now in our house, stainless steel fridge (I love the french doors and bottom freezer) but stainless steel is not magnetic, and it shows fingerprints mucho bad, and daughter left pickle juice leak down the front, so a perm. stain.  , white stove - it will be replaced when we can, and a white dishwasher and white microwave.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/10 at 11:05 am

I really don't understand what all the rage is about stainless steel appliances. Carlos & I wonder why people insist on it. Last year when we bought a new dishwasher-we bought a WHITE one (since we have a white refridge & a white stove). When the refridge gets upgraded, it WILL be white. I hate the stainless steel.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 11:13 am

I really don't understand what all the rage is about stainless steel appliances. Carlos & I wonder why people insist on it. Last year when we bought a new dishwasher-we bought a WHITE one (since we have a white refridge & a white stove). When the refridge gets upgraded, it WILL be white. I hate the stainless steel.

Cat

I actually like the look of stainless steel...if i couldn't have stainless I'd want black... but I find it funny that for some people the fact the appliances aren't stainless (and counters aren't granite) seems like a deal breaker for them.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 11:23 am

I actually like the look of stainless steel...if i couldn't have stainless I'd want black... but I find it funny that for some people the fact the appliances aren't stainless (and counters aren't granite) seems like a deal breaker for them.
and it is funny how those are the 2 easiest things to replace...  may cost something, but I am sure the houses that don't have em are cheaper anyway...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/10 at 11:26 am

Oh, I know. I am yelling at the t.v. saying, "HELLO? You can always BUY new appliances." Ok, I know they can be on the expensive side but you buy the house now and a few months/years down the line you buy new appliances. As for granite, yeah it looks really nice but I heard that granite is the WORSE kind of counter to have. It is very porous and it stains very easily-not to mention the price. Down in PR, we have a faux granite counter. Don't ask me how it looks or anything because you have seen it as much as I have (as in the photos). I'll let you know next year.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 11:55 am

Oh, I know. I am yelling at the t.v. saying, "HELLO? You can always BUY new appliances." Ok, I know they can be on the expensive side but you buy the house now and a few months/years down the line you buy new appliances. As for granite, yeah it looks really nice but I heard that granite is the WORSE kind of counter to have. It is very porous and it stains very easily-not to mention the price. Down in PR, we have a faux granite counter. Don't ask me how it looks or anything because you have seen it as much as I have (as in the photos). I'll let you know next year.

Cat
Around here stone counter tops have come down in price a lot, because of supply and demand.  They aren't as cheap as laminate, but they are cheaper than corian or silestone "engineered" countertops.  We have done a lot of pricing and such it is up against a quartz or granite.  Both have been permanantly epoxy sealed to avoid stains and such, but in our price range there are only a handful of color choices...  So that is a drawback.  I love some of the engineered countertops with the recycled glass in them, but the price is outrageous.  So I highly doubt I will be getting those.  Laminate still has the largest color options for us, I just would love to have an undermount sink and even though they offer it, I do not want to risk the adhesive and moisture with an undermount sink and laminate, since it is so newly offered, and they really do not have a good warranty on it (3-5 years)

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 11:58 am

and it is funny how those are the 2 easiest things to replace...  may cost something, but I am sure the houses that don't have em are cheaper anyway...

exactly....sorry if you don't like the wall paper, carpet, appliances, or wall color it can easily be changed... hell if you don't like the floor plan you can change it... it won't be cheap but it can be done.... what you can't change is location and, usually, lot size.  well you could change lot size but you'd have to buy the houses around you and that's just well, silly.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 12:22 pm

exactly....sorry if you don't like the wall paper, carpet, appliances, or wall color it can easily be changed... hell if you don't like the floor plan you can change it... it won't be cheap but it can be done.... what you can't change is location and, usually, lot size.  well you could change lot size but you'd have to buy the houses around you and that's just well, silly.
makes sense to me!  But I guess some people are sooo frightened of DIY or hiring someone to do it, that they just won't even think about it.  Man wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to get what you want without ever having to sacrifice  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/10 at 12:38 pm

Some people don't know the difference between cosmetic & structural. I can understand people shying away from structural changes but cosmetic? That is SOOOOOO easy.

About 5 years ago or so, Carlos & I thought about selling this house and buying a one family house. There was a house around the corner from us that was listed for $35,000.  :o :o :o  When we went to look at it-it need MAJOR help. The pipes froze and there was at least 5 inches of ice in the kitchen. That was just as well because the kitchen needed some major upgrade (everything looked as if it from 1950's-a look that we didn't like). The ceiling in the dinning room had fallen. The one room in the house that both Carlos & I LOVED was the living room (with the exception for the wallpaper-but, easy fix). We decided not to go for it-not because of the repairs but there were just a few things about the house that we didn't like-the basement gave me the creeps for one-and it had forced air heating. The sad part about the house was the people who DID buy it-put a lot of $$$$$ & work into the house and got it where you could live in it-and then it burnt down.  :\'(  Not to ground, but they had to redo a lot of the work they did to it in the first place.

We decided NOT to sell this house, kicked the tenants out (they weren't paying rent anyway  ::) ) and turned it into a one family house.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 1:49 pm

makes sense to me!  But I guess some people are sooo frightened of DIY or hiring someone to do it, that they just won't even think about it.  Man wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to get what you want without ever having to sacrifice  ::)

wouldn't it tho?

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 1:53 pm

Some people don't know the difference between cosmetic & structural. I can understand people shying away from structural changes but cosmetic? That is SOOOOOO easy.

About 5 years ago or so, Carlos & I thought about selling this house and buying a one family house. There was a house around the corner from us that was listed for $35,000.  :o :o :o  When we went to look at it-it need MAJOR help. The pipes froze and there was at least 5 inches of ice in the kitchen. That was just as well because the kitchen needed some major upgrade (everything looked as if it from 1950's-a look that we didn't like). The ceiling in the dinning room had fallen. The one room in the house that both Carlos & I LOVED was the living room (with the exception for the wallpaper-but, easy fix). We decided not to go for it-not because of the repairs but there were just a few things about the house that we didn't like-the basement gave me the creeps for one-and it had forced air heating. The sad part about the house was the people who DID buy it-put a lot of $$$$$ & work into the house and got it where you could live in it-and then it burnt down.  :\'(  Not to ground, but they had to redo a lot of the work they did to it in the first place.

We decided NOT to sell this house, kicked the tenants out (they weren't paying rent anyway  ::) ) and turned it into a one family house.

Cat

I can't imagine doing all that work then losing the place to a fire then having to do it all over again.... maybe they liked rennovating so much they burnt it just so they could start the project all over again LOL.

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/10 at 1:55 pm

What's that one home buying show with that Blonde chick who once had a recurring role on Saved By the Bell? 

I forget her name, I just remember on the SBTB ep, she played that tough chick Rhonda, and bought all those bracelets to dance with Zack at the Max. 

"Mom's visiting Dad in the slammer, so we'll have the house all - to - ourselves"

;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 1:58 pm

wouldn't it tho?
What a wonderful day that would be 8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 2:02 pm

What's that one home buying show with that Blonde chick who once had a recurring role on Saved By the Bell? 

I forget her name, I just remember on the SBTB ep, she played that tough chick Rhonda, and bought all those bracelets to dance with Zack at the Max. 

"Mom's visiting Dad in the slammer, so we'll have the house all - to - ourselves"

;D

#
Crap I forgot her name already Kristen Hilcrest or something like that...

# "Hope for Your Home" (2008) TV series .... Herself - Host (unknown episodes)
# "Property Ladder" (2004) TV series .... Host (unknown episodes)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/10 at 2:28 pm

I like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

Cat

Written By: karen on 08/18/10 at 2:39 pm

when buying our previous house we narrowed it down to two.  One was 'move-in ready' but small.  The other needed new kitchen, new bathroom, new doors through out etc, but was much larger for the same money.  So we bought the larger house and spent a bit doing it up.  In terms of bought for vs sold price we practically doubled our money in the three years we lived there.

then we bought this house on much the same deal.  It needed some work but we got a good sized house for our money.  The location wouldn't suit everyone but the other option was paying a few thousand more for a smaller house in a better location

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 4:05 pm

when buying our previous house we narrowed it down to two.  One was 'move-in ready' but small.  The other needed new kitchen, new bathroom, new doors through out etc, but was much larger for the same money.  So we bought the larger house and spent a bit doing it up.  In terms of bought for vs sold price we practically doubled our money in the three years we lived there.

then we bought this house on much the same deal.  It needed some work but we got a good sized house for our money.  The location wouldn't suit everyone but the other option was paying a few thousand more for a smaller house in a better location

I like the idea of getting more for your money.

I saw one where a woman who wanted a condo in San Francisco had two options for roughly the same amount of money one was 500 sq foot the other was 900.  She opted for the 500 sq ft because it was in the neighborhood she liked... I did some checking. The 900 sq foot house was about 7 miles from the area she moved to. And it was very close to public transportation.  The girl planned on using Public transportation- it was important that the condo have close access to transit.  so why move into something 50% smaller because you like the zip code  ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 5:14 pm

I like the idea of getting more for your money.

I saw one where a woman who wanted a condo in San Francisco had two options for roughly the same amount of money one was 500 sq foot the other was 900.  She opted for the 500 sq ft because it was in the neighborhood she liked... I did some checking. The 900 sq foot house was about 7 miles from the area she moved to. And it was very close to public transportation.  The girl planned on using Public transportation- it was important that the condo have close access to transit.  so why move into something 50% smaller because you like the zip code  ::)
Bigger is always better is my motto  ::)- unless the neighborhood is simply unsafe 8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 5:36 pm

Bigger is always better is my motto  ::)- unless the neighborhood is simply unsafe 8)

that wasn't the case in the SF condo situation... I think it just sounded cooler for her to say she lived in the mission district rather than wherever the other one was....she was, after all, using mommy and daddy's money to get the place  ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 6:19 pm

that wasn't the case in the SF condo situation... I think it just sounded cooler for her to say she lived in the mission district rather than wherever the other one was....she was, after all, using mommy and daddy's money to get the place  ::)
:P 

I remember watching one, where the daughter wanted to move out of Momma's house, and momma was SOOOO worried about crime, safety and such.  They showed her several houses, momma was always having a fit - too busy of a road, not sure about the bars on the doors and windows, if it is a gated community what happens when she gets out of the gates.....  OMG - I think they looked at 5 houses (realtor was frustrated) and the daughter ended up just buying a house around the corner from her mom.  :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 6:26 pm

:P 

I remember watching one, where the daughter wanted to move out of Momma's house, and momma was SOOOO worried about crime, safety and such.  They showed her several houses, momma was always having a fit - too busy of a road, not sure about the bars on the doors and windows, if it is a gated community what happens when she gets out of the gates.....  OMG - I think they looked at 5 houses (realtor was frustrated) and the daughter ended up just buying a house around the corner from her mom.  :P

I think i mentioned the one about the lawyer who's finally moving out of mom's and she went with him house hunting and worried about his safety like he was an 18 yr old girl or something  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 6:53 pm

I think i mentioned the one about the lawyer who's finally moving out of mom's and she went with him house hunting and worried about his safety like he was an 18 yr old girl or something  ;D
my mom didn't want me to leave, but she knew when it was time....  She went with me to find my apartment, and it was in a family neighborhood, it was a upstairs, but it had 2 bedrooms, and large living room, an eat in complete kitchen, upstairs deck, and an apartment bathroom - plus a bonus of a garage...  What more could I want and it was $500 a month rent O0 

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 6:54 pm

my mom didn't want me to leave, but she knew when it was time....  She went with me to find my apartment, and it was in a family neighborhood, it was a upstairs, but it had 2 bedrooms, and large living room, an eat in complete kitchen, upstairs deck, and an apartment bathroom - plus a bonus of a garage...  What more could I want and it was $500 a month rent O0 

that's funny my first apartment was an upstairs unit with two bedrooms...no eat in kitchen tho. hey I live in cali we get less for our money I paid 525.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 7:06 pm

that's funny my first apartment was an upstairs unit with two bedrooms...no eat in kitchen tho. hey I live in cali we get less for our money I paid 525.
well that one was in Illinois O0.  I only moved to Iowa when I got married ::)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 7:12 pm

Bigger is always better is my motto  ::)-

Hey now, this is a family board!!!  ;D

that wasn't the case in the SF condo situation... I think it just sounded cooler for her to say she lived in the mission district rather than wherever the other one was....she was, after all, using mommy and daddy's money to get the place  ::)

I can't imagine living in San Francisco... Driving in that city is a nightmare, parking is even worse.  I think I would like living in a small town in Vermont or Rhode Island.  I can't recall ever being to either of those states, but I love some of the New England architecture and the proximity to New York, which is where I'm originally from.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 7:28 pm

Hey now, this is a family board!!!  ;D

I can't imagine living in San Francisco... Driving in that city is a nightmare, parking is even worse.  I think I would like living in a small town in Vermont or Rhode Island.  I can't recall ever being to either of those states, but I love some of the New England architecture and the proximity to New York, which is where I'm originally from.

Cat will be happy to see your post.

Yeah I hate driving in SF too... I actually hate the whole city- it's kind of pretty at night but seems really dirty to me during the day.
People laugh when I say this because I completely love LA!  ;D 

I just think that for it's size SF is way more congested than LA is.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 8:08 pm

Cat will be happy to see your post.

Yeah I hate driving in SF too... I actually hate the whole city- it's kind of pretty at night but seems really dirty to me during the day.
People laugh when I say this because I completely love LA!  ;D  

I just think that for it's size SF is way more congested than LA is.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Cat lives there... she gets the beautiful white Christmases, and I don't even think she celebrates Christmas.  :P

Well I don't think it's unusual for a movie/tv buff to love LA :)  There's way more for you there than there is in SF.    I've never been to LA  (unless that's where Knotts Berry Farm is, in which case I was there when I was about 4)  I've been to Anaheim though and liked it... it is pretty expensive there too, though.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/10 at 8:25 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot that Cat lives there... she gets the beautiful white Christmases, and I don't even think she celebrates Christmas.   :P

Well I don't think it's unusual for a movie/tv buff to love LA :)  There's way more for you there than there is in SF.    I've never been to LA  (unless that's where Knotts Berry Farm is, in which case I was there when I was about 4)  I've been to Anaheim though and liked it... it is pretty expensive there too, though.

Knotts is in Buena Park which is in Orange county but I"m pretty sure you could throw a rock from there and hit LA...La is like the bay area (Like redwood city and the surrounding areas) the towns are so close that if you blink you might miss the sign telling you youve changed locations  ;D

Cat does christmas I know because of this quote she posted in 08  ;D

We aren't decorating this year either. We are going to my step-daughter's for Christmas so why bother with a tree?

Cat

why do I remember these things? 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/18/10 at 10:13 pm

I love house buying shows, but I, myself, would be a pushover as a client.  Just give me the cheapest thing you can find.  I don't care what it looks like (which is why we're in the house we are now.) 

There are 3 houses for sale in the block down from mine.  I've wanted to tour them so badly but I don't think it'd be fair to the realtor because I have no intention of buying them.  Perhaps I'm just a voyeaur that likes looking at people's houses and thinking about how they live in them.  I dunno.

My hubby gets annoyed with me watching those shows.  He says the people are all pretensious.  lol

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 10:54 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot that Cat lives there... she gets the beautiful white Christmases, and I don't even think she celebrates Christmas.   :P

Don't mention Christmas to Cat, she celebrates it and is quite disappointed she does not get to have Christmas at
Her house! 

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 10:57 pm

Knotts is in Buena Park which is in Orange county but I"m pretty sure you could throw a rock from there and hit LA...La is like the bay area (Like redwood city and the surrounding areas) the towns are so close that if you blink you might miss the sign telling you youve changed locations  ;D

Cat does christmas I know because of this quote she posted in 08  ;D

why do I remember these things? 
But yet you don't remember she is still upset about not having the Holidays at her house this year either???  You mystify me, and how you find the posts is beyond me! 

Written By: ADH13 on 08/18/10 at 11:08 pm

I have no idea where I got the idea that she doesn't celebrate Christmas... :-[

Sorry, Cat!!

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/10 at 5:17 am

I love house buying shows, but I, myself, would be a pushover as a client.  Just give me the cheapest thing you can find.  I don't care what it looks like (which is why we're in the house we are now.) 

There are 3 houses for sale in the block down from mine.  I've wanted to tour them so badly but I don't think it'd be fair to the realtor because I have no intention of buying them.  Perhaps I'm just a voyeaur that likes looking at people's houses and thinking about how they live in them.  I dunno.

My hubby gets annoyed with me watching those shows.  He says the people are all pretensious.  lol

I always, always go to open houses. There's a home right next door to me that's for sale. I want it so bad....too bad it's  nearly a million and um...small.....anywhere else in the country it'd be 180k-350k but here it's 875K the sad thing is the owner paid around 1.25 for it a few yrs ago and he's a contractor so he totally rennovated it. He has a family so I'm pretty sure his intention was not to flip it---- it's way too small to see a big return on investment- but I don't think he was expecting to take the hit he's taking...it's been for sale for months- a year ago he tried to sell it and ended up renting it out-then he put it on the market again and still can't selll it....  I want it because of locale- it's not my favorite house but I love this neighborhood I just want out my current place- and the house is cute....plus t'd be real easy to move. I could just walk stuff over and put it away----it might take a month but it'd be real easy to do  ;D

oh my point was I always go to open houses my friend and I used to go to them and pretend our parents were helping us buy a house... now I don't care what people think I go, not because I'm nosy about what people have in their houses but because I love looking at floorplans and imagining what my furniture would look like in a particular house. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/10 at 5:18 am

But yet you don't remember she is still upset about not having the Holidays at her house this year either???  

yeah  remember that too but the other post was easier to find  :P

You mystify me, and how you find the posts is beyond me!

cat talking about Christmas this year is buried in one of the month threads--- the post I quoted was made in the "show us your decorations '08" thread

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/10 at 5:46 am

speaking of watching the shows to sometimes  laugh at the production....

I was watching an ep of "My First Place"  -  this is the one where the producers give the new homeowners a gift (so, you  know, they are always going to get the house no matter what issues arrive  ::) )  

I watched one where the couple goes up to the door and says "OH! We have note!!!"  then they read the note, she puts the key in the door and they open it.... in that whole scene the woman is not wearing gloves.... cut to the interior so we can capture the couple crossing the threshhold and see their reaction to the paint job and new couch they have......the woman who "just" unlocked the door sans gloves is now wearing gloves....   ;D

disclaimer.... I have all my details right but it may have been the man, not the woman, who was wearing the gloves... I don't recall specifically which one it was but I know it was one of them because I rewound the moment so I could point and laugh out loud about the continuity faux pas

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/10 at 3:34 pm

Wow, people are talking about me. No wonder why my ears were ringing.  :D ;D ;D

Let me try to respond (without posting everyone's quotes).

Yes, I do live in a small town in Vermont. It is beautiful-ALL seasons but it has it's draw backs. Small town, small minds.  ::)  However, Carlos & I travel a lot and we are surrounded by a couple of college towns so we know many intellectuals.

As for Christmas: Yes, I celebrate Christmas. I also celebrate Hanukkah and the Winter Solstice. My Christmas isn't so much about the religious aspect of it but the secular aspect of it. I love Christmas music as well as the tree & decorations, etc. etc. But, of course my favorite is the food.  :D ;D ;D ;D  And yes, I do love a white Christmas-if it happens. There are many years when we don't have a white Christmas.

I love to be home for Christmas for many reasons. Every year it seems, something comes up where we CAN'T have it here. Last year we were supposed to have it here but it fell through. So, this year we were supposed have it. Then I heard that the kids wanted to have Christmas in Puerto Rico. Carlos just told me the other day that he was talking to his son on Monday and they said that the trip to PR didn't necessarily HAVE to at Christmas. So, maybe this year I will actually have Christmas in my own house. What an amazing concept.

Ok, now I totally went off topic but I wanted to address the conversation about me when I wasn't here.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/19/10 at 4:09 pm

for Ash--- I'd make an exception to my no sharing my space with other people! I know we'd get along....and the dogs would have plenty of room to play!

Wow.  That's so cool.  I am really honored!!!  :D

I could totally live with you too, btw

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/10 at 5:08 pm

Wow.  That's so cool.  I am really honored!!!   :D

I could totally live with you too, btw

:-*

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/20/10 at 9:11 am

Yah well, I will keep my freezer of beef and pork till you come visit I guess ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 10:44 am

Yah well, I will keep my freezer of beef and pork till you come visit I guess ;)

Woo hoo!!!

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 10:53 am

So house hunters is great to watch because I can satisfy my vouyeristic need to look at homes. Plus seeing what you can buy in different states for the money is interesting.

My first place is okay because sometimes you can learn something plus it's fun watching peoples approach to negotiations.

If I had to give up one I'd give up my 1st place b/c they always get the house so the producers fail at their attempts of dramatic build up. Like I said a few posts ago- they get a housewarming gift at the end and after about 70 eps I haven't seen anyone not get the gift yet.

My favorite tho, hands down, is property virgins. You never know if they will get the house or not. It's a real roller coaster ride.  I've seen couples get turned down by seller. Seen buyers change their mind. Seen loans fall apart and then sometimes there's no m problem at all. And they get the  the house.

Plus I really like the host Sandra rinomato (or something. I can't see if my phone autocorrected it to something else.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/10 at 12:24 pm

If you had your druthers and were able to buy your dream house, what would be some of its features?

For me:

-BIG master suite. I would LOVE to have a master bath. (Right now, the trek to the bathroom in the middle of the night is SOOOO long.) The tub would also be jetted. Maybe a separate shower but not necessary. A sauna.

-A walk-in closet (or two).

-The BIG kitchen would have to have mega cabinets & mega counter space. Counters could be a faux granite laminate. Gas stove. And WHITE appliances.  ;) :D :D :D

-Fireplace and/or wood stove.

-LOTS of closets.

-Floors: Hard wood & slate in the bathrooms. (Hmmm, that's what we have now.  ;) )

-At least 2 story. Lots of extra bedrooms (maybe 4 extra besides the master). And a few baths. A laundry room-preferably one on the same floor with the bedroom. Lots of storage.

-2 & 1/2 garage.

-Private back yard. Maybe a pool/hot tub.

That would be my dream house.

When I was looking for a house way back in the dark ages, I looked for what I call the "3 C's": Closets, Counters, & Cabinets. Unfortunately, this is an old house that doesn't have much of any of the "3 C's". We recently put in more cabinets in the kitchen but it still isn't enough in my book but it is better than it was.

Ok, what are some of the features you would like to have in a house?

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/10 at 1:38 pm

speaking of watching the shows to sometimes  laugh at the production....

I was watching an ep of "My First Place"  -  this is the one where the producers give the new homeowners a gift (so, you  know, they are always going to get the house no matter what issues arrive  ::) )  

Speaking of that show, yeah you know when they go on it that they know they'll have a room decorated at the end, but one rerun I saw last week cracked me up.  You could tell by the tone of voice of the new homeowners that they did not like the result of the new decorating.
Hell if someone wants to come do the work of decorating for free, I'm not gonna complain if it isn't exactly what I like.

Another show that kinda makes me laugh is called income property (I think that's what it's called;)  Where some contractor/host comes in and fixes up the basement into a seperate apartment so that the homeowners can get tenants to pay their mortgages for them (while living in the main areas of the house upstairs.)  The end result is always so nice that the homeowners almost always says something along the lines that they are considering moving into the newly built/decorated apartment themselves.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 2:18 pm

Speaking of that show, yeah you know when they go on it that they know they'll have a room decorated at the end, but one rerun I saw last week cracked me up.  You could tell by the tone of voice of the new homeowners that they did not like the result of the new decorating.
Hell if someone wants to come do the work of decorating for free, I'm not gonna complain if it isn't exactly what I like.

Another show that kinda makes me laugh is called income property (I think that's what it's called;)  Where some contractor/host comes in and fixes up the basement into a seperate apartment so that the homeowners can get tenants to pay their mortgages for them (while living in the main areas of the house upstairs.)  The end result is always so nice that the homeowners almost always says something along the lines that they are considering moving into the newly built/decorated apartment themselves.

Yeah I saw that one patty. I also saw one where I guess the producers were afraid of decorating the place bc all the woman got was a gift card. Okay unless they weere giving me a washer/dryer I'd want to puck my own decor and paint. But jell. I figure if I didn't like what they did I would just sell (or return the furniture.

Not jell. Hell. Hot the point where I can't see/correct my typing lol
(on my phone)

I haven't watched income property. I want to but I just can't take on one more show. I have enough trouble being a responsible adult as it is. Lol

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 2:37 pm

Cat-

Location is key for me!

I love Santa Barbara but if we're talking dream home- my dream home is in la near all the event I go to.

Whether my home is here or there tho I have a few must haves:

Must have a large master with his and her closets (only one closet gas to be a walkin. The second closet is for my dirty laundry. Something about apt living. I hate my laundry being out. And I want a laundry room on the same level as the master. I do not want a laundry off the kitchen or in the garage.

Big kitchen. Even though I don't cook that much so I'm more flexible about the kitchen than anything.

I need an office and a room for exercise equipment - we know I'll never use the gym but I still want one  :D

I don't care for a formal living room but I do want a good living space with a fireplace in the corner. The RV will be the most important piece of furniture in every room and I want that center a fireplace dead center annoys me. I know some people mount TVA above the fireplace but I don't like looking up at a tv. The way I lounge I would hurt my neck.

I also need a separate gaming room!

I wouldn't mind a pool table but I'm talking gaming I want a room for my video game attend. And I would like to have a pinball machine and an upright arcade game or two. If necessary I'd convert the garage to a full on arcade. ( if I could afford it. - I checked. The games I'd want in it would cost me about 199 grand. That's not including upgrading electrical in a hause to take the wattage. But I do know two electrons so I'm good there.

Oh and we all know I hate people in my space but I feel like utd be rude not to let people stay if they need to so I need a guest bedroom or a separate guest cottage.

2.5 baths minimum. I want a separate full bath for guests and a half bath or two so no one ever has to go in my master bath.

I know tubs are huge for resale bit I really really hate tubs  8-P
Sorry xat.  I don't want one if my house didn't gave a laundry room I'd rip out the tub and put a washer dryer in the master bath.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 2:42 pm

House hunters is playing while I was typing ^^

Thus one has two sons one going into miltary the other going to college
They are trying to find a house for their mother and grandmother to share.
Their requirement is that the house have bedroom downstairs for gram.
They walk into first house and upon seeing the small bedroom one says "yeah but how much room does grandma need anyway"  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 3:31 pm

From 08

A couple buying in la look at a two bed one bath 650sq ft (no I didn't mistype that) home for 410,000.

I wonder what people watching in 08 thought about that.
I imagine people in the south and Midwest eating popcorn and laughing at the value californians place on property.

People in manhattan probably thought it was a steal  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/10 at 4:08 pm

Back in college, we had to write a composition about what our fantasy house was (in as much detail as possible.)  Oh my teacher probably regretted THAT assignment after reading my rambling mess.  I had a big farmhouse type house complete with lace curtains wafting in the breeze (and naturally you could hear the babbling brook and rustling leaves of the weeping willow tree in the yard) The smell of lavender or honeysuckle gentle in the cool air.  Yeah right. ::) ;D

16 years later, my fantasy home is a little more realistic.  A fireplace, working appliances (and a dishwasher) in the kitchen, a bathroom on every floor complete with long tub (my tub was made for Munchkins) with a shower (so I can finally get clean after all of my surgeries.  ;D )  AND maybe, just maybe a chair lift up the stairs, sometimes my legs aren't so reliable anymore (especially if having t go to the bathroom on the second floor.)  I guess I'd like a couple extra rooms (not that anybody ever visits long enough to stay overnight) but one room could be a library (with a secret panel that swings open to the hidden laboratory... er wait.. did I say that out loud?  :-\\ )

Probably the most important feature of my fantasy house would be the cook, maid and gardeners that would be standard in my house.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 5:48 pm

Back in college, we had to write a composition about what our fantasy house was (in as much detail as possible.)  Oh my teacher probably regretted THAT assignment after reading my rambling mess.  I had a big farmhouse type house complete with lace curtains wafting in the breeze (and naturally you could hear the babbling brook and rustling leaves of the weeping willow tree in the yard) The smell of lavender or honeysuckle gentle in the cool air.  Yeah right. ::) ;D

16 years later, my fantasy home is a little more realistic.  A fireplace, working appliances (and a dishwasher) in the kitchen, a bathroom on every floor complete with long tub (my tub was made for Munchkins) with a shower (so I can finally get clean after all of my surgeries.   ;D )  AND maybe, just maybe a chair lift up the stairs, sometimes my legs aren't so reliable anymore (especially if having t go to the bathroom on the second floor.)  I guess I'd like a couple extra rooms (not that anybody ever visits long enough to stay overnight) but one room could be a library (with a secret panel that swings open to the hidden laboratory... er wait.. did I say that out loud?   :-\\ )

Probably the most important feature of my fantasy house would be the cook, maid and gardeners that would be standard in my house.   ;D ;D ;D

;D 

I get you about being more realistic now.  I know I'm not going to get my full arcade but I can dream...
I most definitely need a landscaper/ I would love a cook but I'm such a picky eater I doubt I'd find one who could satisfy my tastes... and I would want someone to come in once a week and do all the big cleaning stuff- but I don't like people in my space so I'd want it but I'd probably never do it.

the one thing I couldn't compromise on is more than one bath. If I have to combine my office with a guest room or put exercise equiip in my family room or bed room I could deal. and I could live with out a video game room.  But I have to have at least two bedrooms and two baths.... and if I had to have a laundry room past the kitchen I wouldn't like it but I could deal with it because it's better than driving to freaking laundry mat.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/20/10 at 7:07 pm

I think most important for me is a house with some architectural personality, not a standard run-of-the-mill house that looks like all the others on the block.

A Cape Cod, Tudor, Victorian, or Colonial would be awesome!!

Would have to have either a swimming pool or central air.  Master bath is also a must, walk in closets a huge plus.

Need a backyard with enough room for the dogs to run around, even if there is a pool in the yard.

Must have Starbucks within 1 mile. 

Can't be near enough to a casino town that I could waste my life away in casinos, but can't be far enough that I couldn't realistically get there a couple times a year.

That is a big plus about the Bay Area.  4 1/2 hours to Reno, 9 hours to Vegas, 2 minutes to Starbucks. :)

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 10:03 pm

I think most important for me is a house with some architectural personality, not a standard run-of-the-mill house that looks like all the others on the block.

A Cape Cod, Tudor, Victorian, or Colonial would be awesome!!

Would have to have either a swimming pool or central air.  Master bath is also a must, walk in closets a huge plus.

Need a backyard with enough room for the dogs to run around, even if there is a pool in the yard.

Must have Starbucks within 1 mile. 

Can't be near enough to a casino town that I could waste my life away in casinos, but can't be far enough that I couldn't realistically get there a couple times a year.

That is a big plus about the Bay Area.  4 1/2 hours to Reno, 9 hours to Vegas, 2 minutes to Starbucks. :)

I like the pool OR central air... why not both? 

you'd love Santa Barbara we have quite a few starbucks, several homes with pools and um....the nearest casino is 45 minutes away.  It's close enough to get to but go the right way and the drive is windy enough to make it something you wouldn't want to do all the time.  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/10 at 10:11 pm

I like architectural details too, but I like so many different styles that my fantasy house would probably end up looking like the house in Pee Wee's Big Adventure (complete with the Rube Goldberg breakfast making machines...) or maybe The Munsters or Addams Family homes.

It's weird but one style I could never do though is the style of house that the Amityville Horror house was.  I'm sure it's lovely, just always creeps me out for some reason.  :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 08/20/10 at 10:15 pm

I like the pool OR central air... why not both? 

Well, I guess I just need some way to cool off on the hot summer days.  And since both are expensive to run/maintain, I'd be happy with one of the two. :)

you'd love Santa Barbara we have quite a few starbucks, several homes with pools and um....the nearest casino is 45 minutes away.  It's close enough to get to but go the right way and the drive is windy enough to make it something you wouldn't want to do all the time.  ;)

Why did I think you lived in LA?  lol Man my brain keeps failing me.  I thought Cat didn't celebrate Christmas, forgot she lived in Vermont, thought you lived in LA...  this can't be good. :-\\

So you're near several places I like or have been wanting to go to... Solvang, Pismo Beach, Mt Madonna Inn...  Yeah, I think I would like Santa Barbara.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 10:33 pm

I like architectural details too, but I like so many different styles that my fantasy house would probably end up looking like the house in Pee Wee's Big Adventure (complete with the Rube Goldberg breakfast making machines...) or maybe The Munsters or Addams Family homes.

It's weird but one style I could never do though is the style of house that the Amityville Horror house was.  I'm sure it's lovely, just always creeps me out for some reason.   :-\\

I agree... no amityville home for me either. I really love a craftsman but lately I've been intrigued by and Arts & Crafts style too...

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 10:34 pm

Well, I guess I just need some way to cool off on the hot summer days.  And since both are expensive to run/maintain, I'd be happy with one of the two. :)

Why did I think you lived in LA?  lol Man my brain keeps failing me.  I thought Cat didn't celebrate Christmas, forgot she lived in Vermont, thought you lived in LA...  this can't be good. :-\\

So you're near several places I like or have been wanting to go to... Solvang, Pismo Beach, Mt Madonna Inn...  Yeah, I think I would like Santa Barbara.

It's okay... I do "live" in LA I just don't live in LA..... yet  ;)

I go there so often it's like my second home.

and Solvang is where the casino I mentioned is... 

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/10 at 2:07 pm

Okay... this one takes the cake!!! I just saw a Property Virgins where the couple make an offer house was 259 they offered 240 & closing costs. Owner counters at 258 no closing costs... they offer 245 & closing. She counters again with the same 258 and zero assistance.... they offer 250 and closing.... she keeps them hanging for a month.....here's the clincher.... she kept them hanging because Mercury was in retrograde and she didn't want to sign a contract during that period  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/29/10 at 4:50 pm

^^ Can i nominate the seller to be slapped with a fish? That's ridiculous!

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/10 at 6:46 pm

^^ Can i nominate the seller to be slapped with a fish? That's ridiculous!

but funny! 

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/30/10 at 7:02 am

Okay... this one takes the cake!!! I just saw a Property Virgins where the couple make an offer house was 259 they offered 240 & closing costs. Owner counters at 258 no closing costs... they offer 245 & closing. She counters again with the same 258 and zero assistance.... they offer 250 and closing.... she keeps them hanging for a month.....here's the clincher.... she kept them hanging because Mercury was in retrograde and she didn't want to sign a contract during that period  ;D
WOW - the couple must have really wanted the house, I am not sure if I could have hung around for that  :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/10 at 11:13 am

WOW - the couple must have really wanted the house, I am not sure if I could have hung around for that  :P

they did...at day 30 when they were told the deal they still made an offer of 155k and closing costs... it took her 5 days to agree but they finally bought the house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/10 at 7:56 am

My FIL has a new name for House Hunters: House Finders. Hey, the name fits.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/10 at 10:13 am

My FIL has a new name for House Hunters: House Finders. Hey, the name fits.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I like it!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...