inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Addicted to American Pickers - I Pop for this show!

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/07/10 at 10:10 pm

I am now addicted to the the History Channel Show American Pickers.  It is about two guys, who travel the country looking for collectibles, trash, treasure and such to bring back to their shop (yes it is located within an hour from my house - Le Claire, IA).  I have not been to the shop - YET.  But this is the job I SOOOO wish I had.  I love it, I always want to know how people know what things are worth and what will sell - and the psychology of how to deal with some of the people and getting them to sell their stuff. 

If anyone else watches the show - I would love to hear your thoughts 8)

Subject: Re: Addicted to American Pickers - I Pop for this show!

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/10 at 10:14 pm

Wow I was just watching that for the first time today and I did enjoy it!

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/08/10 at 7:16 am

Wow I was just watching that for the first time today and I did enjoy it!
I got to watch a couple episodes today, one in Pennsylvania and the other in Ohio where Mike has a bad back.  I find the people they meet and their interactions with them the most interesting!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/10 at 8:16 am

I've watched it and sometimes I wonder.  When they go in and "negotiate" with some 95-year-old dude who is not all quite there, it seems to me to be supremely unfair and a rip off.

On the other hand, when they find a "honey hole" and start finding all sorts of cool stuff, I'd like to be there with them.

What I really wonder is exactly how much money and time the owners of these junk places have spent in accumulating all that crap.  Seems to me that most of them should be on "Hoarders".  :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/08/10 at 11:58 am

I've watched it and sometimes I wonder.  When they go in and "negotiate" with some 95-year-old dude who is not all quite there, it seems to me to be supremely unfair and a rip off.

On the other hand, when they find a "honey hole" and start finding all sorts of cool stuff, I'd like to be there with them.

What I really wonder is exactly how much money and time the owners of these junk places have spent in accumulating all that crap.  Seems to me that most of them should be on "Hoarders".  :o
I feel they are very much in the up and up with the people.  I just finished watching a show were the guy wanted $5 for a liitle light cover and mike said he couldn't do that, he would give him $20. I have also watched them help a distraught family who's dad was a "picker" and they had all this stuff (mostly trash from auctions no one wanted) and they new they couldn't take the "cream of the crop" because when they held an auction, they were going to need something to draw the crowd in!  They will always tell the people they are "pickers" and finding this stuff for resale, so they need to make money in it too.  They cannot afford to pay "collector" prices.  Watch "Pawn Stars" they ripp people off!  Thus is worth 1500 but I will only give you $150.... 

Oh yes- auctions and collecting can consume these people!!!  Shed after shed after shed!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 08/08/10 at 1:08 pm

I love American Pickers.  I have never seen them rip someone off.  They always pay a fair price. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/08/10 at 4:59 pm

I love American Pickers.  I have never seen them rip someone off.  They always pay a fair price. 
I love it too!  So much fun 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/10 at 5:25 pm

I have yet to see the show. I've seen Pawn Stars a few times and I get ANGRY when I watch the show. They totally rip people off. What really gets me is when there is an appraiser RIGHT THERE who tells the person that it is worth so much and then they accept MUCH less. HELLO??!!! THERE ARE OTHER BUYERS OUT THERE!!!!! These are NOT the only buyers in town.

Carlos & I want to get THIS sign:

http://images.goantiques.com/dbimages/HTJ5263/HTJ52636024.jpg

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/10 at 5:34 pm

I have yet to see the show. I've seen Pawn Stars a few times and I get ANGRY when I watch the show. They totally rip people off. What really gets me is when there is an appraiser RIGHT THERE who tells the person that it is worth so much and then they accept MUCH less. HELLO??!!! THERE ARE OTHER BUYERS OUT THERE!!!!! These are NOT the only buyers in town.

Well at least on Pawn Stars, the sellers have heard what the appraiser said, and if they accept the lowball offer from Big Hoss or the Old Man, they know what they are in for.

On "pickers" I saw them buy a Japanese war sword from this guy who looked to be like 95 years old and not totally "with it".  In my opinion, on that pick, they were taking advantage of the guy.

And yes, on other "picks" I have seen them be quite fair.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/08/10 at 5:57 pm

I guess I'll be the voice for the other side. It's not that I don't watch the show, if there is nothing else on I'll watch just
so I can kibitz. It seems to me the show is too staged. I am sure a crew arrives weeks before shooting to prep the people
about being filmed, what to say, how to act and to keep the picked items somewhat reachable. Did you ever see the guys
brush away one cobweb? I also believe people are told to tell them something is not for sale, if they bought everything picked
for the price they want who would watch?

Written By: Howard on 08/08/10 at 6:49 pm

Cat

Wasn't that a sign that I see on Sanford And Son? ???

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/09/10 at 8:42 am

Cat
You need to watch pickers - that sign fits very well!  I can't believe Pawn Stars either.  They are taking advantage of people down on their luck, they need to sell the stuff (why else would they be going to a pawn store??? ) and get immediate cash.  I know the pawn store needs to make money - BUT HOLY CHRIST look at the overhead of that place - and the amount of gold jewelry they're wearing is enough to pay their salaries for at least a year...  PEOPLE research and if all else - ebay it...  :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/09/10 at 8:53 am

Well at least on Pawn Stars, the sellers have heard what the appraiser said, and if they accept the lowball offer from Big Hoss or the Old Man, they know what they are in for.

On "pickers" I saw them buy a Japanese war sword from this guy who looked to be like 95 years old and not totally "with it".  In my opinion, on that pick, they were taking advantage of the guy.

And yes, on other "picks" I have seen them be quite fair.

He probably was 95, and who else was going to sift through the junk and offer him money for the sword.  There are many other factors, was that all they bought from him???  Because they even say on the show, they will offer a high price to get things started, and then lower prices on other stuff.  They also need to take time and effort into consideration, travel expense, etc... The people that they see, have ALL this stuff, and they don't be looking to try and be making money on it, it is piled, piled and piled.    Yes some items they make more money on then others, but I have never felt they took advantage.  Again they are sellers, not collectors (infact when they buy something for their own personal collection - they pay a much higher price) they are out to make money and resell these goods.  If you have ever gone to an estate auction like we have here in the midwest (everything in the yard, and on hay racks, auctioneer just drives around, selling box after box) or a yard sale... you will know that the people get a much higher price from the "pickers" than they would have ever go at either one of those.  We all want a "good deal"  - who doesn't.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/09/10 at 9:03 am

I guess I'll be the voice for the other side. It's not that I don't watch the show, if there is nothing else on I'll watch just
so I can kibitz. It seems to me the show is too staged. I am sure a crew arrives weeks before shooting to prep the people
about being filmed, what to say, how to act and to keep the picked items somewhat reachable. Did you ever see the guys
brush away one cobweb? I also believe people are told to tell them something is not for sale, if they bought everything picked
for the price they want who would watch?
It is a television show, so yes it would be edited and edited and edited to get the "drama" they want.  I am sure we only see 1/10 of what they really go through.  As far as "staged" I have not seen that.  I watched them pull dust down on themselves many times, looking for something in the rafters.  Twist their ankles, climbing on top of a pile, and yes moving away cobwebs, and blowing off more dust.  There really is no "crew" other than the camera guy who goes with Frank and Mike, who is present at the filming.  Danielle really is at the shop back at LeClaire, my in-laws just went there and met her.  The stuff is really for sale - but they have lots of "collectors" who buy stuff, so many moves fast.  Yes it is a show, and we all want to see drama.  I just love the fact that there is more shows about real american workers and lives.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/10 at 10:39 am

Wasn't that a sign that I see on Sanford And Son? ???

Nope. This is the sign you are thinking of:

http://maryrosewood.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83454d01e69e20120a5ac6a34970c-800wi

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/09/10 at 12:39 pm

Nope. This is the sign you are thinking of:

http://maryrosewood.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83454d01e69e20120a5ac6a34970c-800wi

Cat

Oh Ok,Thanks Cat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/10 at 10:08 am

Finally saw an ep (on-line). Not bad, I could watch it again.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/10 at 7:36 pm

Today I was talking to a buddy about a business opportunity that I discovered for him.

Without thinking about it, I said "Mike, this place would be a real honey hole for you."

He said "WHAT????"

Then I explained the whole American Pickers thing.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/10/10 at 7:59 pm

Today I was talking to a buddy about a business opportunity that I discovered for him.

Without thinking about it, I said "Mike, this place would be a real honey hole for you."

He said "WHAT????"

Then I explained the whole American Pickers thing.   ;D ;D ;D
Lol  ;D

Written By: 2015 on 08/10/10 at 8:17 pm

is it just me, or does the title make it sound like a booger competition?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/11/10 at 6:48 am

is it just me, or does the title make it sound like a booger competition?  ;D

It does in a way.

Written By: Billy on 08/12/10 at 10:45 pm

Great show!  I watch it all the time.  Makes me want to start picking.

Written By: Howard on 08/13/10 at 6:43 am

Great show!  I watch it all the time.  Makes me want to start picking.

your nose?  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/10 at 6:13 am

I don't have cable, but while on vacation we watched it.  Sig is an antigues guy, and we just wanted to puke.  Those two guys are obnoxious.  They show a lot of interesting stuff, but they are obnoxious.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/10 at 2:23 am

is it just me, or does the title make it sound like a booger competition?  ;D

NO IT ISN'T AND YES IT DOES!
8)

It's actually good if you want to get a kid to quit hanging around with you, everybody challenge each other to booger competitions.  The kid will stop trying to hang around the fort if they do it a couple of times.  

Long ago my mother had a boyfriend who was a picker.  His whole barn and most of his house were stuffed with junk.  Junk everywhere.  Other than that and a very dumb hat, he was perfectly normal.
;D

Written By: Howard on 08/16/10 at 6:30 am

It's actually good if you want to get a kid to quit hanging around with you, everybody challenge each other to booger competitions.  The kid will stop trying to hang around the fort if they do it a couple of times. 

To see who has the bigger booger.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/17/10 at 8:47 am

I watched the show last night - and it was again awesome.  They found some real unique people and some good treasures.  I fell in love with the "hobo" all that stuff he had.  He had it everywhere - and he ended up with 10 grand in his hand. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/10 at 8:16 pm

To see who has the bigger booger.

Is a bigger booger better?
:D

Written By: Howard on 08/18/10 at 5:13 am

Is a bigger booger better?
:D

have you ever seen better boogers?

Written By: lola669 on 08/18/10 at 7:36 am

Cat

I think if you're going to a pawn shop then you must be really needing the money bad and quickly.  I know I would not go to a pawn shop to sell something, especially if it was appraised for a lot.  I would take the time to find a buyer willing to pay what I want. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/10 at 9:13 am

I think if you're going to a pawn shop then you must be really needing the money bad and quickly.  I know I would not go to a pawn shop to sell something, especially if it was appraised for a lot.  I would take the time to find a buyer willing to pay what I want. 
Precisely, my husband said it like - it's cash without taxes or a trail...

I do want to know, when "Pawn Stars" ask "What do you want to do, Pawn it or sell it or what" - what is the difference, and what is the or what????

Written By: lola669 on 08/18/10 at 9:21 am

Precisely, my husband said it like - it's cash without taxes or a trail...

I do want to know, when "Pawn Stars" ask "What do you want to do, Pawn it or sell it or what" - what is the difference, and what is the or what????

Pawn, you get a "loan" and a ticket.  You have the chance to pay off the loan and claim your stuff.  If you don't come back they will sell it to get back the money they loaned you. 

I don't know what the "or what?" is.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/22/10 at 8:46 pm

Pawn, you get a "loan" and a ticket.  You have the chance to pay off the loan and claim your stuff.  If you don't come back they will sell it to get back the money they loaned you. 

I don't know what the "or what?" is.   ;D
Thanx O0  I am not sure what "or what" is either - is it just their way of saying what are you doing (taking it home, pawn or sell)? Or go back and meet Bruno :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/10 at 2:04 am

I don't know what the "or what?" is.   ;D

Yeah, in British novels from the time you read about people hawking items for tickets.  You know, it's like nowadays, we have those sleazy check-cashing places.
::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/30/10 at 7:06 am

Yesterday was an American Pickers marathon on the History Channel.  My daughters were sooo into watching it, came running from their barbies when they heard the tv. They love it as well.  We went to an abandon house down the road, that no one is living in and it is going to be torn down ... We found some old pop bottles, they were excited they thought they were Frank and Mike  8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/14/10 at 6:29 am

Last night was a new season show!  Hippie Tom was a great guy, and a great find! The guy made millions sellin wizzard wicks, wouldn't even know it!  I wanna go there!

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/14/10 at 10:39 am

The filmed an episode here where I live.  I'll have to watch it when it comes on.

http://www2.tricities.com/entertainment/2010/sep/10/american-pickers-bristol-ar-498107/

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/15/10 at 7:11 am

The filmed an episode here where I live.  I'll have to watch it when it comes on.

http://www2.tricities.com/entertainment/2010/sep/10/american-pickers-bristol-ar-498107/
Cool O0  I still have yet to get to the shop.  I sooooo want to - and it is only 1 hour away, actually right off the road when I go to my mothers.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/25/10 at 6:24 am

Unfortnately, I have not been able to watch many episodes lately:(. Just not enough time!  Last night I got to see hippie Tom again!  That man is a hoot! 

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/05/11 at 9:54 am

I am bummed.  Today is American Picker Festival in the town where Mike has his shop "Antique Archeology" and Hippie Tom is supposed to be there.  We were going to take a road trip and see what it was about - as both girls and us enjoy the show.  Unfortunately, we have some severe thunderstorms going through the area :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 06/05/11 at 6:50 pm

I am bummed.  Today is American Picker Festival in the town where Mike has his shop "Antique Archeology" and Hippie Tom is supposed to be there.  We were going to take a road trip and see what it was about - as both girls and us enjoy the show.  Unfortunately, we have some severe thunderstorms going through the area :\'(

Bummer :\'(

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/15/11 at 12:56 pm

ALL new American Pickers this week 8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/15/11 at 12:58 pm

and no - I didn't get to go to the festival so no photo's with Mike or Daniel

Check for new replies or respond here...