inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Rap Finally Dying?

Written By: Cory! on 08/08/10 at 8:27 pm

Who else notices rap is starting to fade out some? I mean yeah there's still been some rap songs this year
that have been hits (like now Eminem) but you don't hear way too much about it anymore like you did a few
years back. I've noticed the rap songs that have been hits this year usually have a message behind them too and not
just the random crap about sex and naked women. But yeah most of the rap this year has stayed on the rap charts and
off of the Hot 100 top ten. I honestly hope to God it'll be dead within the next few years.
But who else notices this or maybe has a different opinion on it?

Subject: Re: Is Rap Finally Dying?

Written By: gibbo on 08/08/10 at 8:40 pm

The sooner it is dead...the better!  Rap is the absence of music...basically..it's just noise set to a monotonous beat.

But on the positive side...it's apparently a great mood enhancer prior to murdering someone....

Written By: Emman on 08/08/10 at 9:35 pm

Who else notices rap is starting to fade out some? I mean yeah there's still been some rap songs this year
that have been hits (like now Eminem) but you don't hear way too much about it anymore like you did a few
years back. I've noticed the rap songs that have been hits this year usually have a message behind them too and not
just the random crap about sex and naked women. But yeah most of the rap this year has stayed on the rap charts and
off of the Hot 100 top ten. I honestly hope to God it'll be dead within the next few years.

Rap is just going through a transition right now and you don't hear much rock music either, I personally think rap might have another 10-15 years of mainstream popularity left. Rock music though might be going the way of jazz.

Written By: Cory! on 08/08/10 at 10:47 pm

Rap is just going through a transition right now and you don't hear much rock music either, I personally think rap might have another 10-15 years of mainstream popularity left. Rock music though might be going the way of jazz.

Ugggh I hope not, I hope its the other way around D: This is gonna change the subject but I just think
with rock music, someone needs to try something different I mean honestly I don't think rock has changed much in over
15 years! I think people are just about bored to death with it I mean its just so boring and all sounds the same (Nickelback, Daughtry, etc.)
They need to make it fun again, you know? :P Well hopefully if rap stays on the mainstream it won't be as huge as this past decade...hopefully
it'll be gone for good though...who knows whats gonna happen? :S

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/10 at 11:10 pm

Ugggh I hope not, I hope its the other way around D: This is gonna change the subject but I just think
with rock music, someone needs to try something different I mean honestly I don't think rock has changed much in over
15 years! I think people are just about bored to death with it I mean its just so boring and all sounds the same (Nickelback, Daughtry, etc.)

They need to make it fun again, you know? :P Well hopefully if rap stays on the mainstream it won't be as huge as this past decade...hopefully

Agree.  Its survival of the fittest.  Rap has changed with the times so it will hang on in some form or another.  Rock on the other hand hasn't changed and has just become so boring.  Nickelback's style needs to die.  I miss pre-Nickelback '90s and early '00s rock, such as Blink 182, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sugar Ray, Creed, etc.  It was all so much better than what has been slammed down our throat from 2001-present.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/08/10 at 11:22 pm

Well it doesn't really dominate anymore though it's still big. I like some rap though it seemed way too dominant for a good part of the 00s, most hate it around here though lol. I like B.o.B., Eminem, and Drake of who's currently big and that T.I. song with Keri Hilson is good too, I do not like Soulja Boy, Cali Swag District, Roscoe Dash kinda stuff.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/10 at 6:44 am

Man, and I remember when rap started with RUN DMC,Grandmaster Flash,Secret Weapon,Whodini and Funky Four Plus 1.

Man,I'm getting old.  :o

Written By: Emman on 08/09/10 at 12:38 pm

I will agree that I don't like much modern rap either, you should just take a look at my tech college, everybody has that disgusting dirty south minstrel noise booming from their headphones and car speakers. I do like the late 70's disco rap(Sugarhill Gang) and early 80's electro though, but in my opinion 2006 and 2007 by far had the worst mainstream hip hop ever.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/10 at 12:42 pm

I do like the late 70's disco rap(Sugarhill Gang) and early 80's electro though, but in my opinion 2006 and 2007 by far had the worst mainstream hip hop ever.

I agree,the 70's and 80's ruled rap.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/10 at 6:14 pm

I actually think it is. Music is more techno r&b now and dance.

By 2020 it'll go the way of jazz.

Written By: Starde on 08/09/10 at 7:36 pm

Agree.  Its survival of the fittest.  Rap has changed with the times so it will hang on in some form or another.  Rock on the other hand hasn't changed and has just become so boring.  Nickelback's style needs to die.  I miss pre-Nickelback '90s and early '00s rock, such as Blink 182, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sugar Ray, Creed, etc.  It was all so much better than what has been slammed down our throat from 2001-present.

I pretty much feel the same way.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 7:40 pm

The sooner it is dead...the better!  Rap is the absence of music...basically..it's just noise set to a monotonous beat.

But on the positive side...it's apparently a great mood enhancer prior to murdering someone....

Bad "rap" is like that.

There is a lot of great rap music out there that is both musically interesting and lyrically powerful.  I can't identify most of it by name.  I hear it from time to time.  I remember old schoolers such as Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, Ice-T, and so forth.

Sometimes forceful commentary in rap lyrics is mistaken for negative social message because it sounds scary.  Rappers often come from impoverished urban environments.  They're just talking about what they grew up with.  

Yeah, there's scads of scummy corporate rap churned out to satisfy suburban MTV kids who want to feel edgy and irritate mom and dad.  

"Rap" as we knew it 15 or 25 years ago may have changed significantly, but hip-hop culture is still vibrant.    

I actually think it is. Music is more techno r&b now and dance.

By 2020 it'll go the way of jazz.

Jazz is not dead either. 

Written By: joeman on 08/09/10 at 7:56 pm

I love Hip-Hop from the 80s and thought it was a very innocent time for rap history.  Huge fan of Run DMC and LL Cool J's early work.  Also, one of the first rap rock song was made, with Run DMC and Aerosmith doing "Walk This Way."  I also like early 90s rap, as it was very innocent but also cheezy like MC Hammer's Can't Touch This.  Vanilla Ice is still one of my favorite rappers, despite the fact that now he is in a heavy metal band. 

I really like mid 90s rap, as I liked the dark, rauchy side of urban society.  Dr Dre vs Eazy E fued was big and so was the West Side vs East Side.  Despite a "war" going on, both sides put on some really good music.  Outside the west-east side, I really like Bone Thugs N Harmony.

Rap from the late 90s and early 00s were fun too, but are kind of in the lower end of my taste spectrum.  DMX was badass, and I enjoyed every movie he was in, especially the one movie with Jet Li.  Jay Z was awesome then, though admittedly I haven't really followed him since one of two albums before his "retirement".

Didn't like 2004-current rap music.  I guess it is a matter of taste, since I prefer R&B style rap music over the electro-synth sounds of rap.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of today's rappers are very talented, I just don't like the autotone vocals.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/10 at 8:13 pm

Bad "rap" is like that.

Jazz is not dead either. 

I think what the person who started this thread meant was that 'when will it fade from the mainstream?'.

Of course, once a music genre is born, it never really dies.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/09/10 at 9:16 pm

If rap is dying, what's going to replace it?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 9:29 pm

Showtunes! 

That's right.  In the remake of "Do The Right Thing" Radio Raheem is walk around blasting "South Pacific" on his boombox. 

Well, he hooked up his iPod to the boombox with an adapter.
:-\\

Written By: Mojo2 on 08/09/10 at 10:01 pm

I see this as a pretty positive thing. since the late 90's mainstream Rap has been all about the glam and glitter. In the 2000's it was heavily marketed into a self-conciousley crude format for middle class whites. Since maybe '05 or '06 it's been calcified into "ring tone" Rap or "autotunes" Rap. I think this is all just starting to fade.

In the next few years I think Rap will seep more into the underground and instead of being an vehicle for the mainstream music world, which is kind of turning into an oxymoron. I could see Rap turning much gritter and lo-tech, think a dirty pocked sidewalk instead of a sleek, greased hallway. Fusion will probably get more intresting. Elements of folk, bluegrass, Rock, Punk, Indingenous music or whatever will be more prevelent.

As far as instrumental goes I'd say more physical instruments that are new to the genre mixed with simple, tangible beats, the bizzare mixed with the old school.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 08/09/10 at 10:02 pm

Hip Hop/Rap is not "dead", nor will it ever really "die". It's a genre of music, and although it may be less popular or prevalent, it will not simply go away. Hell, there are still disco influences, and people claimed that it "died" 30 years ago.

Though I do see what you're saying. In the early to mid 00s hip hop music was pretty much everywhere, over the past 2 years or so there has been significantly less of it. Especially 2009; I remember Jay-Z's album, Eminem's largely overlooked return, Drake's debut, Kid Cudi's debut, and that was pretty much it. 2010 has had a little more stuff with continued hits from the aforementioned artists and new ones like B.O.B., and Kanye is coming out with an album in November I believe.

Like it or not, I'm sure that in a few years hip hop will be kickstarted anew in some way with a new artist and a new personality. Or maybe it will never be as popular as it was in much of this past decade. You never can tell with music.

Written By: 2015 on 08/09/10 at 11:52 pm

I think 2010 will be the last year that gives a "rap" vibration when looked back upon. I think starting in 2011, you're going to hear a lot more music like Owl City, La Roux, Lights, Operator Please, that type of thing. :)

Written By: Howard on 08/10/10 at 5:20 am

The Sugarhill Gang.  :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/10/10 at 4:25 pm

Music has a 30-year cycle....

Jazz came in the 20's and many people didn't like it. However, Gershwin released "Rhapsody in Blue" which combined Jazz and Classical.
Rock came in the 50's and many people didn't like it. However, The Beatles released "Yesterday" which bridged the gap of old and new.
Rap came in the 80's and some people didn't like it. However, Run-DMC covered "Rock this Way" with Aerosmith in it!

The 2010's will see a new music craze!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/10 at 5:55 pm

Jazz came in the 20's and many people didn't like it. However, Gershwin released "Rhapsody in Blue" which combined Jazz and Classical.
Rock came in the 50's and many people didn't like it. However, The Beatles released "Yesterday" which bridged the gap of old and new.
Rap came in the 80's and some people didn't like it. However, Run-DMC covered "Rock this Way" with Aerosmith in it!

If there is a new music craze in the 10's then I'm excited.Yeah!!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/10 at 10:46 pm

Check this out: 

Mendi + Keith Obadike

A husband-and-wife team of artists composers who mix elements of hip-hop with electronic music and contemporary classical elements.  They are American, second generation Nigerians. 

http://www.blacknetart.com/

I strongly recommend both of their releases on Bridge Records.
The Sour Thunder -- An Internet Opera

and

Mendi + Keith Obadike present Crosstalk.

Crosstalk features other great composers, such as Paul Lansky, Shelley Hirsch, DJ Spooky, George Lewis, and Peter Gordon. 

It merges academic music with art music with pop music.  It's really great.  I see a potential for this style of music in the next decade.  It just needs more marketing, more exposure. 

http://www.bridgerecords.com/catpage.php?call=9158

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/10 at 2:15 pm

WTF?  This is so inaccurate Gibbo!  Rap isn't going anywhere.  Go buy Eminem's new album - it's really amazing.  I've been listening to it almost exclusively since it came out and I haven't killed anybody.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/11/10 at 2:51 pm

I think 2010 will be the last year that gives a "rap" vibration when looked back upon. I think starting in 2011, you're going to hear a lot more music like Owl City, La Roux, Lights, Operator Please, that type of thing. :)

Owl City is flirting dangerously with one hit wonder status.  Of his last two singles following Fireflies, his most "successful" one barely broke into the Hot 100 chart peaking at 97. I don't think he will be defining the music of the decade.

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 8:19 am

Owl City is flirting dangerously with one hit wonder status.  Of his last two singles following Fireflies, his most "successful" one barely broke into the Hot 100 chart peaking at 97. I don't think he will be defining the music of the decade.
You never know I mean "Sugar Ray" was a one hit wonder with their hit song "Fly" in 1997. "Sugar Ray" did have a few hits after that off their 1999 album release "14:59".

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 8:33 am

They need to make it fun again, you know?
:P Well hopefully if rap stays on the mainstream it won't be as huge as this past decade...hopefully
Well rock has changed over the past 15 years. I mean "rock" has had "nu-metal" and "Emo" trends over the past 10 years. What about "garage bands" like "The Hives" or "The White Stripes" in the early 00's too?

Written By: Howard on 08/12/10 at 6:41 pm

You never know I mean "Sugar Ray" was a one hit wonder with their hit song "Fly" in 1997. "Sugar Ray" did have a few hits after that off their 1999 album release "14:59".

I remember "Fly".

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/12/10 at 6:45 pm

I wonder when we're gonna start hearing cover versions of classic raps?

Somehow I think that any remake of classics like "Nuthin' But a G Thang" and "Gin and Juice" would fall flat.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 08/12/10 at 7:00 pm

I wonder when we're gonna start hearing cover versions of classic raps?

Somehow I think that any remake of classics like "Nuthin' But a G Thang" and "Gin and Juice" would fall flat.   :-\\

covers happened in the 90's.

Written By: joeman on 08/12/10 at 8:21 pm

covers happened in the 90's.

Yes.  Puff Daddy/P Diddy was the worst victim of it.  All his songs was a rip-off of an 70's/80's song.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/12/10 at 8:40 pm

I think the term "rap" is dead, but not that style of music. Whenever I hear the word "rap", I think more old school, either the 80's rap or gangsta rap of the 90's, or maybe even the glam rap of the 2000's. Nowadays, people use the term hip-hop or urban music (well, urban music covers many types of genres including hip-hop, R&B, New Jack Swing, even jazz).

Btw, remember when rock was referred to as "rock and roll"? I think that term is out of date as well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/10 at 9:15 pm

I think the term "rap" is dead, but not that style of music. Whenever I hear the word "rap", I think more old school, either the 80's rap or gangsta rap of the 90's, or maybe even the glam rap of the 2000's. Nowadays, people use the term hip-hop or urban music (well, urban music covers many types of genres including hip-hop, R&B, New Jack Swing, even jazz).

Btw, remember when rock was referred to as "rock and roll"? I think that term is out of date as well.

I agree.
:)

Written By: Billy on 08/12/10 at 10:43 pm

you should just take a look at my tech college, everybody has that disgusting dirty south minstrel noise booming from their headphones and car speakers

I hate that rap.  I don't hear it as much as before, but theres a 16 year old kid that lives near me that always blasts that rap from his car stero.  He's one of those white kids who wears his hat sideways and loves rap.  He's nice though, when he and his friends play basketball in his driveway he always lets my 9 year old son play with them, but now my 9 year old wants me to buy him some rap cd's.  I will not do that. 

Written By: Howard on 08/13/10 at 6:44 am

Yes.  Puff Daddy/P Diddy was the worst victim of it.  All his songs was a rip-off of an 70's/80's song.

also Ain't Nuthin But A G Thing is another.

Written By: sonikuu on 08/13/10 at 5:18 pm

Rap is declining in popularity and its 00s form is dying, but it will never be completely dead.  Just like Rock music did in the past, Rap will change over time and go through highs and lows of popularity.  Rock music has certain periods of time where it was more popular than other times.  Rap music will be similar.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/13/10 at 5:29 pm

Rap is declining in popularity and its 00s form is dying, but it will never be completely dead.  Just like Rock music did in the past, Rap will change over time and go through highs and lows of popularity.  Rock music has certain periods of time where it was more popular than other times.  Rap music will be similar.

Man, when I look back at the 00s, I will look back in shock and say "Wow, rap was HUGE back then!!". The reason for the shock was because when 1999 came I didn't think rap was gonna be that huge in the 00s!

Check for new replies or respond here...