inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The music I think will define the 2010's

Written By: 2015 on 08/09/10 at 11:54 pm

this list of bands have the style that I see exponentially growing and will probably overtake the hip hop/emo/post-grunge/dirty pop vibe of the 00's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Wave_synthpop

Subject: Re: The music I think will define the 2010's

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/10 at 11:33 am

this list of bands have the style that I see exponentially growing and will probably overtake the hip hop/emo/post-grunge/dirty pop vibe of the 00's.

I disagree.  Synth pop will be declining by 2013 at the latest.  Dance music fads never last entire decades. In my opinion these years are culturally similar to the disco years and we will see a backlash by mid decade.

Written By: Emman on 08/10/10 at 1:22 pm

Dance music fads never last entire decades.

This seems very inaccurate(wrong), dance music was popular throughout the entire 90's plus the early 00's. I remember dance music(especially eurodance) regularly being played on top 40 radio from the early 90's to early 00's. This "era" might be another period where dance music in general will be popular for most of the 2010s, dance music has not been popular in the US since that time until now. I do think other genres will come to the forefront like hip hop, indie, but I think we'll hear PLENTY of dance/electronica music along side other genres in 2010's US mainstream music. SYNTHPOP IS ONLY ONE TYPE OF ELECTRONIC/DANCE MUSIC, LET ME REPEAT THAT, SYNTHPOP IS ONLY ONE TYPE OF ELECTRONIC/DANCE MUSIC, I find it very hard to believe ALL electronica/dance music of ANY TYPE will be declining or gone by 2013, it will change it's sound just like every other genre. Dance/electronica in the 90's had widely different sounds and genres popular through different parts of the decade(house, techno, trance, trip hop, downtempo, eurodance, drum n bass, jungle), it changed up styles "ALOT" from the early to late 90's, but was still popular, it was popular before "grunge" came on the scene and after in the later 90's, remember Technotronic, Aqua, Eiffel 65.

Written By: Henk on 08/10/10 at 2:06 pm

I don't see any of those bands/artists make a lasting impression - apart maybe from Keane.

Wish you'd been around here a few months ago though, when I started this thread about The Knife.

Written By: Emman on 08/10/10 at 2:24 pm

In my opinion these years are culturally similar to the disco years and we will see a backlash by mid decade.

Oh, disco/dance music just disappeared from the face of the planet in the early/mid 80's, I mean Michael Jackson's Thriller, Prince, Madonna, were nothing during that time. These artist evovled directly from disco(some of their songs(Thriller) from 1983/84 could fit right in with 1978/79), so they didn't mean anything at that time because of the disco backlash. I guess Journey, Def Leppard, and Poison had a greater impact in the 80's than all those disco-ish artists. The truth is that while the original disco sound died around 1980, disco itself hugley influenced(some say continued) alot of 80's pop and new wave(Michael Jackson, Madonna, Duran Duran said they were a combination of "Chic and The Sex Pistols"), heck, the disco sound still influences pop and dance music to this day.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/10 at 2:55 pm

I disagree.  Synth pop will be declining by 2013 at the latest.  Dance music fads never last entire decades. In my opinion these years are culturally similar to the disco years and we will see a backlash by mid decade.

Dance music will always be around.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/10 at 3:07 pm

Sometimes when I have nothing to do or think about, I think to myself; Holy crap, it's 2010?!!  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/10/10 at 3:27 pm

Sometimes when I have nothing to do or think about, I think to myself; Holy crap, it's 2010?!!  :D

And it's not the 80's anymore.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/10 at 3:40 pm

Dance music will always be around.

True...but a majority of the time, its a niche genre with relatively few popular songs that make it into the mainstream.  The exception being the late '70s-early'80s, the mid-'90s (eurodance was pretty much gone by 1998 except for a few artists like Eiffel 65), and 2008-present. 

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/10 at 6:49 pm

True...but a majority of the time, its a niche genre with relatively few popular songs that make it into the mainstream.  The exception being the late '70s-early'80s, the mid-'90s (eurodance was pretty much gone by 1998 except for a few artists like Eiffel 65), and 2008-present. 

That's speaking from an American perspective.  In Eur ope, dance music never went away.

Written By: Emman on 08/10/10 at 9:36 pm

If you count dance-pop then you are dead wrong, Michael Jackson and Madonna were VERY popular from the mid 80's to early/mid 90's. Mid 90's?, dance music was popular the entire 90's, what you are saying contradicts my own memories and experience from the 90's, trust me, it was popular FROM 1990 TO 1999 all the way to about 2002/2003(and it was more popular during the early NOT mid 90's), it was not the dominate genre but it was played commonly along neatly with other genres. I remember urban music becoming hugely dominant in about 2003 and that's what alot top 40 radio stations played around that time. Trance mixed with pop music was pretty popular in the early 00's and from what I remember was played alot on top 40 radio.

Written By: Fearsword on 09/12/16 at 7:09 pm

Now it's 2016, synthpop still dominates the charts with a bit of r&b/soul here and there.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/12/16 at 9:01 pm

Now it's 2016, synthpop still dominates the charts with a bit of r&b/soul here and there.

More like trap for the most part, with a bit of synth pop and a few vague callbacks to retro funk, but with modern instruments,

Written By: Fearsword on 09/13/16 at 5:21 pm

More like trap for the most part, with a bit of synth pop and a few vague callbacks to retro funk, but with modern instruments,

Yep trap, disco(even if it was only a 2013-14 fad) and electropop define the decade. Although lady gaga's new song has a disco-rock influence.

What do you think will define the late 2010s?
I think the retro funk/disco will still impact the charts, a few occasional electropop hits, and maybe pop punk to comeback.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/13/16 at 5:58 pm

Yep trap, disco(even if it was only a 2013-14 fad) and electropop define the decade. Although lady gaga's new song has a disco-rock influence.

What do you think will define the late 2010s?
I think the retro funk/disco will still impact the charts, a few occasional electropop hits, and maybe pop punk to comeback.

So far, absolutely nothing has stylistically changed about music since the second half of 2014, when electro-dance passed its peak but stayed relevant and trap became the dominant style. You still have the occasional disco/funk revival megahit, most recently "Can't Stop the Feeling," but everything else is just as uninspired as it has been for the past couple of years.

Written By: Fearsword on 09/13/16 at 11:34 pm

I forgot to mention the emergence of tropical house in the mainstream within the past year and a half with the new Justin Bieber, kygo and OMI.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/17/16 at 1:49 am

It was mostly defined by EDM. Trap music, dancehall music, slow, ballad pop, teen pop, and dubstep were also popular as well. I think the only genre that saved 2010s music is the disco/funk songs. Songs like Uptown Funk make me enjoy the music more. That's why I loved 2013 musically the most because of the disco sound.

Check for new replies or respond here...