inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody else not impressed with popular music this year?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/28/10 at 10:00 pm

To start off, I will say that though most people complained about '00s music, I was big into the current hits from 2000 through 2009.  That said, I must say this year's music has left much to be desired.  The year started off slow with 2009 holdovers dominating the airwaves through at least April.  Then the new music starts to hit and I am noticing a definite Disney pop lean that I just don't like the sound of.  The rest of it is just plain cheezy.

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
Usher - DJ Got Us Fallin In Love
Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me
Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg - California Girls
Jason DeRulo - Ridin Solo
Travie McCoy - Billionaire
Justin Beiber - Somebody To Love
B.O.B - Airplnes

These are just a few examples of gosh-awful songs that must be really popular for some reason otherwise they wouldn't be so overplayed.  If this is the direction music is going this decade its going to be one sad decade for music.  Give me crunk rap or emo rock any day over this noise.  I will say there have been a few decent songs this year, most notably from Eminem's new Recovery album.  Other than that, I have been listening mostly to my iPod and Pop2K on Sirius XM.  Anybody agree?

Subject: Re: Anybody else not impressed with popular music this year?

Written By: ADH13 on 08/29/10 at 12:54 am

I've been unimpressed since about 1995, with only a couple exceptions.

Viva La Vida by Coldplay gave me a little bit of hope for the future of music... but now I see that was merely a diamond in the rough.

Badly Drawn Boy is promising.

Other than that,  8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/29/10 at 6:41 am

That's why I prefer the 80's music.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/10 at 6:48 am

Yes, I have also not been impressed by this year's music. The only song I really like is OMG by Usher, and some other songs from that album. There are a few other good songs and albums here and there, and a lot of them are 2009 holdovers. Overall, I'd say this is the crappiest year for music (and pop-culture in general, especially with movies) since 2006. However, I wouldn't use 2010 as an indicator for how the entire decade is going to be, because 1990 was a crappy year musically (with the exception of a few dance hits by Black Box, Snap, and Technotronic), but the rest of the 90's turned out good.  

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/10 at 9:48 am

You just have to know what to listen to.  There are alot of great songs of 2010.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/10 at 10:35 am

For me the year is a mixed bag.

Written By: Cory! on 08/29/10 at 2:09 pm

Wow, I actually think music is getting better than it's been for a while. Right now music is just going
through that 'changing' period. Everyone notices the sound of music is starting to change. To me it kinda sounds like
they're trying to mix up 80's and 90's and make something new with it. Mike Posner's "Cooler Than Me" sorta reminds me of
"Tainted Love", and Katy Perry's new stuff has a retro sound to it, too. With that, I think thats what today's music is trying to lean towards
too. and I looove it. Its just gonna take a little while for it to set in.

Written By: tv on 08/29/10 at 2:39 pm

To start off, I will say that though most people complained about '00s music, I was big into the current hits from 2000 through 2009.  That said, I must say this year's music has left much to be desired.  The year started off slow with 2009 holdovers dominating the airwaves through at least April.  Then the new music starts to hit and I am noticing a definite Disney pop lean that I just don't like the sound of.  The rest of it is just plain cheezy.

B.O.B - Airplnes

These are just a few examples of gosh-awful songs that must be really popular for some reason otherwise they wouldn't be so overplayed.  If this is the direction music is going this decade its going to be one sad decade for music.  Give me crunk rap or emo rock any day over this noise.  I will say there have been a few decent songs this year, most notably from Eminem's new Recovery album.  Other than that, I have been listening mostly to my iPod and Pop2K on Sirius XM.  Anybody agree?
I like "Cooler Than Me' but thats about it off that list of songs you put up. I like "Not Afraid" by Eminem too. I haven't listened to the radio since mid 2007 for music.

I did complain about 00's music to but I haven't liked music since early or mid 2007.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/10 at 2:58 pm

B.O.B - Airplnes

I like the first 4 songs, but I'm not really into the other 4 songs. I almost like 'Airplanes', but the lady's voice in the song gets on my nerves.  ;D

Written By: Starde on 08/29/10 at 3:22 pm

Meh. The only 00's music that I really like is 2000-2004. From 2005-2009, I only have a couple of songs that I actually like. Haven't really enjoyed listening to the Top 40 radio since around 2004.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/29/10 at 4:35 pm

Most of those songs are alright but there's nothing like great there. Airplanes is pretty great though, I don't see anything wrong with that. Teenage Dream ain't bad either. 2010 has been ok not particularly bad or good, I think better than 06 though for mainstream imo, because in 2006 there was too much of that stupid Soulja Boy crap and I'd rather listen to Katy Perry or even freakin crappy Ke$ha over that.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/10 at 5:51 pm

For me the year is a mixed bag.

I agree with you,a mixed bag.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/10 at 6:25 pm

Most of those songs are alright but there's nothing like great there. Airplanes is pretty great though, I don't see anything wrong with that. Teenage Dream ain't bad either. 2010 has been ok not particularly bad or good, I think better than 06 though for mainstream imo, because in 2006 there was too much of that stupid Soulja Boy crap and I'd rather listen to Katy Perry or even freakin crappy Ke$ha over that.

I actually agree with you. Music this year is actually, shock :o, better! than it has been in about 3 or 4 years. And I also agree with you that there's nothing great out there now.

Written By: 4wtr on 08/29/10 at 7:21 pm

B.O.B - Airplnes

I'm also really not impressed with the songs that have come out this year, the year is basically 3/4ths over and it's been pretty bleak. Also, why were most of the summer songs this year not very upbeat at all ?

Written By: Emman on 08/29/10 at 7:39 pm

Also, why were most of the summer songs this year not very upbeat at all ?

Not very upbeat, you mean all this bright, colorful, neon electropop is somber?

Written By: Brian06 on 08/29/10 at 7:42 pm

I'm also really not impressed with the songs that have come out this year, the year is basically 3/4ths over and it's been pretty bleak. Also, why were most of the summer songs this year not very upbeat at all ?

California Gurls and DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love aren't upbeat? lol. Or that cheesy as hell "I Like It" song?

Written By: Emman on 08/29/10 at 7:45 pm

The thing I don't get is that the mainstream picks the most crappy, inane electropop music, like Ke$ha over much much better electropop, like MGMT, Kylie Mingoue, ect.
I like some of electropop but the much dreamier version over the trashy kind popular now(cough Ke$ha cough).

Written By: Brian06 on 08/29/10 at 7:48 pm

La Roux is really good and she had a big mainstream hit this year. There's Neon Trees too who are fairly cool which are getting airplay now.

Written By: Emman on 08/29/10 at 7:53 pm

I really like Maroon 5's new song Misery, also Neon Indian, they're an indie-ish "chillwave" band.

Written By: Midas on 08/29/10 at 7:53 pm

California Gurls and DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love aren't upbeat? lol. Or that cheesy as hell "I Like It" song?

I like that "I Like It" song.  It's catchy.  Same with "California Gurls".

Written By: Brian06 on 08/29/10 at 7:56 pm

I like that "I Like It" song.  It's catchy.  Same with "California Gurls".

I like it too honestly rofl.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/10 at 11:17 am

I used to not like music in the 1999 to 2001 era, but then I listened again to songs from those years and realized music wasn't so bad. I've changed my views a bit on music from that era.

I think I was a bit biased because of all the teen pop (Britney, BSB, Nsync) from that era so I just lumped that era as the 'teen pop' era. I know, what an jerk I was! But then there were great songs from those years too!

So now I think music was good up until about 2002. I was also going through some personal problems during that era so I wasn't paying too much attention to how music was during that time. 

Written By: bchris02 on 08/30/10 at 2:05 pm

I used to not like music in the 1999 to 2001 era, but then I listened again to songs from those years and realized music wasn't so bad. I've changed my views a bit on music from that era.

I think I was a bit biased because of all the teen pop (Britney, BSB, Nsync) from that era so I just lumped that era as the 'teen pop' era. I know, what an jerk I was! But then there were great songs from those years too!

So now I think music was good up until about 2002. I was also going through some personal problems during that era so I wasn't paying too much attention to how music was during that time. 

Sort of like we are in another teen pop era right now.  The radio is so dominated by teen pop actual good songs are few and far between, much like it was in 1999.  There has been some good stuff in 2010, it just doesn't get much airplay.

And California Girls has to be the worst song since Rich Girl by Gwen Stephanie.  I have no idea why it is so popular.  Snoop Dogg completely sold out when he did that song.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/10 at 3:02 pm

Sort of like we are in another teen pop era right now.  The radio is so dominated by teen pop actual good songs are few and far between, much like it was in 1999.  There has been some good stuff in 2010, it just doesn't get much airplay.

And California Girls has to be the worst song since Rich Girl by Gwen Stephanie.  I have no idea why it is so popular.  Snoop Dogg completely sold out when he did that song.

He told Larry King he wants to open a chain of dollar stores called "Snoopermarkets."  Good on Snoop if he does!
:D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/10 at 3:46 pm

All the teen stars right now sound like they could be on the Disney Channel (actually, some of them are). But to be honest, I don't think there's that much teen pop right now, it's more like techno rap and r and b; I think that teen pop was everywhere in 1999 and 2000 though.

And all the songs that aren't rap or teen pop right now are either mediocre or totally suck!

Actually, I like California Girls!  ;D 

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/30/10 at 5:32 pm

0 Interest...

Maybe in 2012, once the Mayan Calendar goes back music won't suck!

Written By: Brian06 on 08/30/10 at 7:20 pm

Ha I think music was great in 99. TLC, Destiny's Child, Christina at her best, RHCP, that Kiss Me song, Steal My Sunshine, early Jay-Z and Eminem, Lauryn Hill. I actually like "I Want It That Way" too lmao. There was some crappier stuff (Limp Bizcrap, Ricky Martin) but even it was still mostly good fun in '99. :P

Written By: Starde on 08/30/10 at 7:54 pm

1999 was a good year... 8)

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 09/01/10 at 8:50 pm

I haven't enjoyed popular music since 2004.  I hate all thise auto-tune crap, it's not music.  I don't want my music to sound like a computer, I want it to have some sort of meaning.  I care more about lyrics then I do the beat.  And when you listen to the lyrics of these current songs, it's all about the most ridiculous stuff, ie, cells phones, money, cars, degarding women...

I actually loved the late 90's/early 00's teen pop era.  Of course, at the time I was a teenager.  Today's teen pop market can't compete, they're so generic. 

At this point, it feels like music is never going to get back to good.  I might have to face the facts, that the "golden age" of music is over. 

Written By: Howard on 09/02/10 at 6:51 am

At this point, it feels like music is never going to get back to good.  I might have to face the facts, that the "golden age" of music is over. 

It's been over for many years now.

Written By: tv on 09/02/10 at 9:37 am

I think Music was "central" to US pop culture from the start of the 60's till maybe 2005 or 2006.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/10 at 9:58 am

I think Music was "central" to US pop culture from the start of the 60's till maybe 2005 or 2006.

The golden age of Top 40 music in my opinion is 1955 to 2001.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/10 at 6:34 pm

That's why I always listen to WCBS-FM.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/02/10 at 6:37 pm

And I say till 1995 (minus the grunge).  I'm seeing a pattern here. Could it maybe have something to do with our ages? lol

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/10 at 6:51 pm

I'm seeing a pattern here. Could it maybe have something to do with our ages? lol

Yes, age plays a HUGE difference. I say age 30 is when pop culture no longer targets a person. My "time" is the 90s 00s and 10s since it's when I grow up.

I think music was good in the 90s from 1990 to 1999. I also think the early 00s was okay. But by 2002 I just couldn't stomache all the rap and hip hop. Oh, and don't forget, taste makes a huge difference also!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/10 at 6:52 pm

That's why I always listen to WCBS-FM.

Howard, you seem fond of the 80s. Do you like 90s music?  :(

I LOVE 80s music even though I'm 21.

Written By: JTCool on 09/02/10 at 6:53 pm

I haven't enjoyed popular music since 2004.  I hate all thise auto-tune crap, it's not music.   I don't want my music to sound like a computer, I want it to have some sort of meaning.   I care more about lyrics then I do the beat.  And when you listen to the lyrics of these current songs, it's all about the most ridiculous stuff, ie, cells phones, money, cars, degarding women...

I actually loved the late 90's/early 00's teen pop era.  Of course, at the time I was a teenager.   Today's teen pop market can't compete, they're so generic.  

At this point, it feels like music is never going to get back to good.   I might have to face the facts, that the "golden age" of music is over.  

I think music's "golden age" is different for everyone. You liked the teen pop of the late 90s/early 00s (as do I) but other people might have thought it is just as bad as today's teen pop. I think each generation has what it thinks of as music's "golden age". Saying that, I think alot of todays top 40 music is bad because of the overuse of auto-tune. But looking at the history of music, usually each genre has a certain amount of backlash after a couple of years of popularity. Look at Disco. So I think there will be a big backlash to using auto-tune.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/02/10 at 7:00 pm

I don't think music's "golden age" is different for everyone. You liked the teen pop of the late 90s/early 00s (as do I) but other people might have thought it is just as bad as today's teen pop. I think each generation has what it thinks of as music's "golden age". Saying that, I think alot of todays top 40 music is bad because of the overuse of auto-tune. But looking at the history of music, usually each genre has a certain amount of backlash after a couple of years of popularity. Look at Disco. So I think there will be a big backlash to using auto-tune.

I also think that as time passes, bad songs don't seem so bad anymore... either because you don't hear them constantly anymore, or because you suddenly realize they remind you of something (like hearing it at a job you had), or because they are GOOD compared to the newer stuff.

I never liked Christina Aguilera.  But I can listen to her now without rushing to change the station, since it actually now seems decent in comparison to "Dontcha Wish Your Girlfriend was hot like me!" 8-P

Written By: Howard on 09/02/10 at 7:59 pm

Howard, you seem fond of the 80s. Do you like 90s music?  :(

I LOVE 80s music even though I'm 21.

90's is ok.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/10 at 8:03 pm

90's is ok.

I like 90s music also, but I don't love it like I do the 80s. 

Written By: joeman on 09/02/10 at 10:55 pm

The 2010s will be interesting, that is for sure.  Cool thing is that radio stations in my area now have two classic alternative rock stations, one that plays grunge and 80s alt, and another that plays alternative rock throughout the 90s.  If the music of the 10s suck, I can switch to those stations for enjoyement.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/10 at 6:51 am

I like 90s music also, but I don't love it like I do the 80s. 

There's this website radio.com where you can listen to just about every type of music genre including the 80's.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/04/10 at 1:21 am

I've seen posts from 20 years ago in BBS archives with the same message. Who really cares anyway, it's just music people look for different things, most people I know like me listen to the radio in the car on the way home from work to make the ride less boring and don't really think about crap like this. One guy likes classic rock, the other likes rap, and maybe some other dude likes both, they're all happier than the guy that's complaining about everything.

Written By: Emman on 09/04/10 at 2:01 am

I've seen posts from 20 years ago in BBS archives with the same message. Who really cares anyway, it's just music people look for different things, most people I know like me listen to the radio in the car on the way home from work to make the ride less boring and don't really think about crap like this. One guy likes classic rock, the other likes rap, and maybe some other dude likes both, they're all happier than the guy that's complaining about everything.

Tru dat.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/10 at 6:43 am

It's all garbage,I need the 80's back.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/04/10 at 11:12 am

Have I told you how much I agree with you?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/04/10 at 12:48 pm

Have I told you how much I agree with you?  ;D

Thanks 80sfan.

Written By: tv on 09/04/10 at 4:17 pm

If today's music sounded like a carbon copy of the 80's people would be saying there is no originality at all with today's music.

Written By: tv on 09/04/10 at 4:20 pm

I don't think music's "golden age" is different for everyone. You liked the teen pop of the late 90s/early 00s (as do I) but other people might have thought it is just as bad as today's teen pop. I think each generation has what it thinks of as music's "golden age". Saying that, I think alot of todays top 40 music is bad because of the overuse of auto-tune. But looking at the history of music, usually each genre has a certain amount of backlash after a couple of years of popularity. Look at Disco. So I think there will be a big backlash to using auto-tune.

Actually yes it hurts me to say it 1999-2000 style teen-pop is better than most music that comes out nowadays and I do like the 2001-mid 2005 era better than the 1999-2000 era of music!

Written By: tv on 09/04/10 at 4:29 pm

And I say till 1995 (minus the grunge).  I'm seeing a pattern here. Could it maybe have something to do with our ages? lol
I still did have sort of a liking  or following as far as mid 2007 point in terms of music. Music just wasn't "central "anymore at that time(mid 2007.)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/04/10 at 6:24 pm

I still did have sort of a liking  or following as far as mid 2007 point in terms of music. Music just wasn't "central "anymore at that time(mid 2007.)

This could be the reason why the music industry became lazy as far as the quality in music goes. Because if it isn't "central" anymore than why bother to even care about how good it is?

Written By: JTCool on 09/04/10 at 7:03 pm

Actually yes it hurts me to say it 1999-2000 style teen-pop is better than most music that comes out nowadays and I do like the 2001-mid 2005 era better than the 1999-2000 era of music!

I just realized that I said I don't think, when I meant to say I think music's "golden age" is different for everyone. I feel dumb now! haha. Anyway, I also think that the teen pop from 1999-2000 is better than today but that's just my personal opinon. A kid who grew up on todays teen pop is probably going to like it better than the teen pop music 10 years from now.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/10 at 6:46 am

If today's music sounded like a carbon copy of the 80's people would be saying there is no originality at all with today's music.

Back then there was originality.

Written By: tv on 09/05/10 at 8:31 am

Back then there was originality.
I agree Howard!

Written By: tnf on 09/05/10 at 10:22 am

There was indeed enough good music in that era (I would say: 1999-2005). You just had to pick the right music for you.

I'm not a teen pop freak and I've never been, but there was a lot of nice 'warm' dance/lounge music in that era, and... the Neptunes/N.e.r.d. hype.

About 2010... I'm not impressed, must be one of the worst years ever, if you are talking about popular music. The autotuned crap, teen pop and bland poprock makes me cringe. But I've found the solution: Buying an internet radio. Doing that brought me a lot of nice 2010 songs. My favorites mostly just aren't played on regular radio. Among them: The Game ft. Justin Timberlake and Pharrell - Ain't no doubt about it (yeah, a track sounding like it's 2003 again, and like I said earlier, I've got a soft spot for the good old Neptunes sound  ;) ). A flop in the Netherlands, although the artists are very famous.

Or is that track better-known in America???

My other 2010 favorites are somewhere on this page at my website. If you like them: Check internet stations http://www.novaplanet.com , http://sites.radiofrance.fr/chaines/fip/endirect and http://www.laid-back.be (my most important sources).

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/10 at 11:31 am

There was indeed enough good music in that era (I would say: 1999-2005). You just had to pick the right music for you.

I'm not a teen pop freak and I've never been, but there was a lot of nice 'warm' dance/lounge music in that era, and... the Neptunes/N.e.r.d. hype.

About 2010... I'm not impressed, must be one of the worst years ever, if you are talking about popular music. The autotuned crap, teen pop and bland poprock makes me cringe. But I've found the solution: Buying an internet radio. Doing that brought me a lot of nice 2010 songs. My favorites mostly just aren't played on regular radio. Among them: The Game ft. Justin Timberlake and Pharrell - Ain't no doubt about it (yeah, a track sounding like it's 2003 again, and like I said earlier, I've got a soft spot for the good old Neptunes sound  ;) ). A flop in the Netherlands, although the artists are very famous.

Or is that track better-known in America???

My other 2010 favorites are somewhere on this page at my website. If you like them: Check internet stations http://www.novaplanet.com , http://sites.radiofrance.fr/chaines/fip/endirect and http://www.laid-back.be (my most important sources).

I compare 2010 to 1990 when there was Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.  ;D

Written By: Emman on 09/05/10 at 12:38 pm

What Vanilla Ice was to the early 90's Ke$ha is to the early 10's  :D.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/10 at 6:37 pm

I agree Howard!

people today have the same tune.

Written By: tnf on 09/05/10 at 9:00 pm

The difference: in 1990 there was, in my opinion, also a lot of GOOD mainstream. And Can't touch this is kinda 'guilty pleasure' stuff.

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 09/05/10 at 9:54 pm

The difference: in 1990 there was, in my opinion, also a lot of GOOD mainstream. And Can't touch this is kinda 'guilty pleasure' stuff.

I so agree.  In 1990, we were coming off of Glam Rock and entering into Grunge and rap, that made mainstream radio interesting at the time.  There was actually a varity.  You don't hear that today.  Songs that are currently played on the Top 40 stations, all sound like the same song.    We're not transitioning into a new music style, because everything has already been done. 

To touch on my previous post, for me, the golden age of music is the mid-50's to the early 00's.  With most of the innovate stuff happening between 1964 and sometime in the 80's.  I love 90's music (mostly the R&B), but once artists starting sampling from other songs, originality in music died. 

Written By: bchris02 on 09/05/10 at 11:14 pm

I so agree.  In 1990, we were coming off of Glam Rock and entering into Grunge and rap, that made mainstream radio interesting at the time.   There was actually a varity.   You don't hear that today.  Songs that are currently played on the Top 40 stations, all sound like the same song.    We're not transitioning into a new music style, because everything has already been done

To touch on my previous post, for me, the golden age of music is the mid-50's to the early 00's.   With most of the innovate stuff happening between 1964 and sometime in the 80's.   I love 90's music (mostly the R&B), but once artists starting sampling from other songs, originality in music died. 

I disagree.  The music of today sounds nothing like it did in 2005.  And unfortunately the emerging pop sound of today is the sound of Radio Disney in the late '00s.  The stuff makes me cringe. 

Written By: tnf on 09/05/10 at 11:46 pm

I so agree.  In 1990, we were coming off of Glam Rock and entering into Grunge and rap, that made mainstream radio interesting at the time.   There was actually a varity.   You don't hear that today.  Songs that are currently played on the Top 40 stations, all sound like the same song.    We're not transitioning into a new music style, because everything has already been done.  

Here in Holland, from 1989 till 1993, we had the compilation cd series 'Turn up the bass'. If you are a little bit into dance, swingbeat and hiphouse, you definately need to check the playlists (this is one of them, from 1990). That's a part of the good mainstream I was talking about.

Besides lots of good non-dance like Living Colour, the Belgian act Vaya Con Dios (check 'What's a woman', sounds very international), etcetera. I even like Mariah Carey's first hit 'Vision of love', while being absolutely no Mariah Carey fan.

Written By: joeman on 09/06/10 at 7:46 am

I love the music of 1990 and I love MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice.  Used to know all the lyrics when I was a little kid.

Can't say the same thing for a 4-7 year old today with Gaga and Kesha(but don't hold me up on it!).

Written By: Howard on 09/06/10 at 8:11 am

I love the music of 1990 and I love MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice.  Used to know all the lyrics when I was a little kid.

Can't say the same thing for a 4-7 year old today with Gaga and Kesha(but don't hold me up on it!).

1990 had a lot of good music.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/10 at 12:22 pm

1990 had a lot of good music.

Yeah, I was kinda hasty when I wrote that 1990 is like 2010.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/10 at 12:29 pm

I so agree.  In 1990, we were coming off of Glam Rock and entering into Grunge and rap, that made mainstream radio interesting at the time.   There was actually a varity.   You don't hear that today.  Songs that are currently played on the Top 40 stations, all sound like the same song.    We're not transitioning into a new music style, because everything has already been done. 

To touch on my previous post, for me, the golden age of music is the mid-50's to the early 00's.   With most of the innovate stuff happening between 1964 and sometime in the 80's.   I love 90's music (mostly the R&B), but once artists starting sampling from other songs, originality in music died. 

I disagree. Not everything has been done. It's the music industry that is just currently lazy and doesn't want to put effort into it's work.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/10 at 2:06 pm

Yeah, I was kinda hasty when I wrote that 1990 is like 2010.  ;D

1990 is nothing like 2010,1990 is 1990. just another year.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/10 at 2:28 pm

1990 is nothing like 2010,1990 is 1990. just another year.

I think I just did decadeology! Darn it!  >:(

Written By: Emman on 09/07/10 at 2:43 am

After seeing some of the "complaints", the same things were said 5 years ago in 2005(all this crunk crap rap needs to go, it's too hiphop dominated now), now everybody acts like 2000-2005 was an golden age of music. I can predict that 5 years from now, the same people will be complaining about 2015, asking for the good ol days of 2010. Some of the comments here truly baffle me, mainstream music has actually improved somewhat over the past 3 years in my opinion, early 10's electropop sure is WAAAAAY better than that noise called "snap rap", emo, and post-grunge(although I don't really like most of mid/late 00's or early 10's mainstream music). It seems that complaining about the current music will always be constant no matter what.

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 09/07/10 at 11:41 pm

I disagree. Not everything has been done. It's the music industry that is just currently lazy and doesn't want to put effort into it's work.

What's left to do though?  I can't imagine that there's an endless supply of chord arrangements.    I actually watched an interesting documentary recently that talked about how several songs over the last 40 years have used the same 4 chords.    They presented three songs that are currently played on the radio and they had the those same 4 chords...and when they put the songs together, you couldn't even tell a difference. 

Besides the music aspect, people aren't shocked anymore.  Artists in the past, like Madonna, relied on shock value, they can't do that today.  I'll see someone like Lady Gaga do something that's supposed to be shocking and I'll think, that was great when Madonna did it 20 years ago.  I'll hear some new rock band trying to be edgey and it's like, that was great when Nirvana and Pearl Jam did it, or the Pixies, or whoever.

But that's all my opinion, of course.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/10 at 6:25 am

Today's music lacks originality,I remember back in the days that music was horns,trumpets,saxaphones,violins and pianos now music in this day you have computer synthesizers and the sound is awful.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/08/10 at 8:07 am

I've turned myself completely away from current music and have become a vinyl collector, and boy, I like 95% of everything in my collection (over 11,000 45s and 1,000 33s)! Most of the music is between 1950 and 1989 (the best era of music ever IMO), with some '90s, a little big band era, and just a couple early '00s in there. Lots of stuff that your oldies station will NEVER play, oldies play about 30 songs from each year, and generally cater to the 1964 to 1985 era, which means that 50 or more songs from each of those years were also top 10 hits, plus of course the '50s/early '60s rock/doo wop is always the best part, plus having records from the late '80s and '90s when there was some good pop/R&B. My little sister LOVES autotune, and whenever she puts the radio on, I walk away immediately!

In addition, I feel worried about Hollywood, because the technology continues to improve where movie pirating is becoming increasingly widespread, that a decline in artistic quality may be coming. With 1 Terabyte hardrives available, you can download up to 300 movies on one drive, or, even in a cloud computing server!

Bottom line: Technology has become saturated to the point that for mainstream appeal, any good groundbreaking/independent trends are too obscure to be promoted widespread, and companies release material only to the lowest common denominator to maximize profits. The good music right now is probably being made in a galaxy far, far away...

Check for new replies or respond here...