inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Photo Scanner recommendations needed please

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/11/10 at 8:15 pm

Hey

I'm going to be scanning a lot of color 3x5 and 4x6 photos dating from 1990 to 2005 and I was looking for some recommendations for a good scanner. I bought a flatbed Canon scanner but the scans it did looked like color drained versions of the original (for example, if someone had a tan in the original picture, they'd be pasty white in the scanned version). I'd like something that's affordable but has a High DPI and good color accuracy and is easy to use, because I'm going to be working with well over 2,000 photos between '90 and '05 so it's going to be a massive project.
But quality comes over convenience of use. The images would be scanned at 600 DPI or higher.

I've seemed to have more luck with printer/scanner combos (like an All in One Printer) than flatbeds, but I'm open to suggestions of both.

Subject: Re: Photo Scanner recommendations needed please

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/10 at 9:39 am

Rhett,

What Canon scanner did you get?  I just bought (this week) a Canon LiDE 200 scanner for $59+shipping from Adorama (on eBay).

It works pretty well except the "one button scan" feature does not seem to work with my laptop/Vista setup.

I have not really done much color scanning other than some old pics (which were already color faded) so I can't offer opinion on color fidelity.  Most of what I've been scanning is greyscale pics and couments.

But for $59 it was hard to beat the price.

Subject: Re: Photo Scanner recommendations needed please

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/12/10 at 1:53 pm

Rhett,

What Canon scanner did you get?  I just bought (this week) a Canon LiDE 200 scanner for $59+shipping from Adorama (on eBay).

It works pretty well except the "one button scan" feature does not seem to work with my laptop/Vista setup.

I have not really done much color scanning other than some old pics (which were already color faded) so I can't offer opinion on color fidelity.  Most of what I've been scanning is greyscale pics and couments.

But for $59 it was hard to beat the price.

I got the same one as you I believe.

Check for new replies or respond here...