inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2011 Predictions?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/13/10 at 8:49 am

As 2010 begins to draw a close, what do you think 2011 has in store pop culturally, politically, musically, FASHION and TV?

Subject: Re: 2011 Predictions?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/13/10 at 6:56 pm

As 2010 begins to draw a close, what do you think 2011 has in store pop culturally, politically, musically, FASHION and TV?

Well musically, I think we'll see the continued demise of hip-hop and the continued Disneyfication of Top 40 music.  Never in one year have I seen music change as fast as it has in 2010, and I think that will continue into 2011.  By the end of 2011, there will likely be little resemblance to '00s music.

Politically...I'll keep that to myself...

Fashion...its really hard to tell.  Emo still remains popular but is well past its peak.  It could be dead by the end of 2011, though stars like Bieber are keeping the fashion alive, or at least the hair.  At 25, I am starting not to keep up with the fashion trends like I once did.

Written By: Emman on 09/13/10 at 7:15 pm

I think 2011 will be a very interesting year pop culturally

I think autotune will start to wane
00's style/dirty south rap might be completely gone(if it wasn't already)
A new stlye of dance music might become popular, moving away from the electropop style
^More trance and pure dance music seems to be getting popular in late '10
Along with a new indie genre(have no idea what that could be yet)
continued 80's stlye fashion/futurustic Lady Gaga inspired/ 90's raver fashion
More classic style fashion(esp 40's style), casual stlyes of the 90s/00's era continues to decrease
I think at least some of the 00's hair styles (bieber shag)might last until 2013/2014.
Alternative rap becomes more popular, although the hiphop genre as a whole won't be dominant like it was during the 00's
A backlash might begin against all the materialistic/ reality tv culture of the 00's
Recession gets worse by the end of next year

Overall I think 2011 will be very different from 2010 in alot of ways, beginning to break ties with the late '08/2009

Written By: Howard on 09/13/10 at 7:21 pm

I think all the young talent I see in today's music will have gold records.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/13/10 at 7:50 pm

I think 2011 will be a very interesting year pop culturally

I think autotune will start to wane
00's style/dirty south rap might be completely gone(if it wasn't already)
A new stlye of dance music might become popular, moving away from the electropop style
^More trance and pure dance music seems to be getting popular in late '10
Along with a new indie genre(have no idea what that could be yet)
continued 80's stlye fashion/futurustic Lady Gaga inspired/ 90's raver fashion
More classic style fashion(esp 40's style), casual stlyes of the 90s/00's era continues to decrease
I think at least some of the 00's hair styles (bieber shag)might last until 2013/2014.
Alternative rap becomes more popular, although the hiphop genre as a whole won't be dominant like it was during the 00's
A backlash might begin against all the materialistic/ reality tv culture of the 00's
Recession gets worse by the end of next year

Overall I think 2011 will be very different from 2010 in alot of ways, beginning to break ties with the late '08/2009

I agree with pretty much all of this except for the recession getting worse.  The fundamentals right now are strong.  Banks are lending, consumers are spending, etc.  The only thing preventing a recovery is the job market, which is a result of the anti-business policies of Washington.  Depending on how the election goes this fall will determine whether there will be a robust or slow painful recovery.

As for the rest of it, I've noticed '40s style dress becoming more popular for women.

Written By: Emman on 09/13/10 at 9:34 pm

I agree with pretty much all of this except for the recession getting worse.  The fundamentals right now are strong.  Banks are lending, consumers are spending, etc.  The only thing preventing a recovery is the job market, which is a result of the anti-business policies of Washington.  Depending on how the election goes this fall will determine whether there will be a robust or slow painful recovery.

As for the rest of it, I've noticed '40s style dress becoming more popular for women.

I don't want to explain it all now, but the economy is in deep s***, the US has massive dept (trillions of dollars in just 30 years), all the economic prosperity the US has had for the past few decades was built off credit. People thought they were alot richer than they actually were and the government continued to spend, spend, spend(esp. during the mid 00's real estate boom). This so called "summer of recovery" is fake, if the economy itself is not growing by a good percentage(production, jobs) then spending your way out of this recession(relying on consumerism) is useless. I think the reason the US is struggling in the job market is because the US is a consumer nation instead of producing most of our own services and goods, america is a bunch of cashiers.

Written By: Emman on 09/13/10 at 10:00 pm

I think in hindsight, maybe in 10-15 years, 2010 will be half 00's and half 10's stuff, I think 2011 will be mostly 10's though. 2009 might the cultural beginning of the 10's(in a very primitive form) but the 10's pop culture might not completely phase in until 2013, I think by late 2011/2012 we will see the beginnings of the mid 10's pop culture.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/13/10 at 11:15 pm

The 2010s will be a decade where the government will have to face the reality of the mistakes they made about the economy or money they've made in the 80s,90s, and 00s.

And the people will have to change their ways of spending money after the 2010s also.

Again, just a guess, I'm not an economic expert so I'm just speaking out of my butt.  :(

Written By: sonikuu on 09/14/10 at 1:54 am

2011 will be a very interesting year pop culturally.  Usually, it is not until the second year of a decade that the trends defining the new decade starts to really take hold, a process that continues into the third year (2012 in this case).  Take 2001 for example.  At the start of 2001, Teen Pop and the boy bands were still popular.  At the end of 2001, more Urban-style Hip-Hop and R&B began to rise in popularity as Teen Pop collapsed, though not yet totally dominant.  This was also the year that reality tv, after seeing big success in 2000, really began to take over the airwaves.  9/11 and a host of other pop culture changes as well.

1991 and 1981 have similar circumstances pop culturally.  The "0" year of the decade is usually just the remnants of the later part of the previous decade with some hints of the next decade's real culture.  I don't think the more dance-flavored music that is popular now will dominate the 2010s.  It'll be very popular in the early part of the decade, but it's lifespan will be over within a few years.  TV will probably stay fairly similar, though you never know if a hot new show will debut.  There really isn't one single dominant trend right now, as tv is a hodgepodge of comedy, drama, reality tv, and competition shows (American Idol and it's ilk).  It's not like 2002 when reality tv clearly overshadowed everything else.  Fashion...don't pay too much attention but fashion has a tendency to swing back and forth between bright and showy to darker and more laid back and vice-versa.  Politically...well, it's too unpredictable right now.  I'm really starting to hate what is going on politically and the fact that I'm a Political Science major makes it worse! 

Yep, 2011 will be VERY interesting as the second year is always the transition year.  I'll probably be studying abroad in Japan around this time next year so I'll have to view the changes in the US of late 2011 and the first half of 2012 from a distance.  If things change too drastically, I can look forward to some nice reverse culture shock when coming home!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/14/10 at 2:14 am

2011 will be a very interesting year pop culturally.  Usually, it is not until the second year of a decade that the trends defining the new decade starts to really take hold, a process that continues into the third year (2012 in this case).  Take 2001 for example.  At the start of 2001, Teen Pop and the boy bands were still popular.  At the end of 2001, more Urban-style Hip-Hop and R&B began to rise in popularity as Teen Pop collapsed, though not yet totally dominant.  This was also the year that reality tv, after seeing big success in 2000, really began to take over the airwaves.  9/11 and a host of other pop culture changes as well.

1991 and 1981 have similar circumstances pop culturally.  The "0" year of the decade is usually just the remnants of the later part of the previous decade with some hints of the next decade's real culture.  I don't think the more dance-flavored music that is popular now will dominate the 2010s.  It'll be very popular in the early part of the decade, but it's lifespan will be over within a few years.  TV will probably stay fairly similar, though you never know if a hot new show will debut.  There really isn't one single dominant trend right now, as tv is a hodgepodge of comedy, drama, reality tv, and competition shows (American Idol and it's ilk).  It's not like 2002 when reality tv clearly overshadowed everything else.  Fashion...don't pay too much attention but fashion has a tendency to swing back and forth between bright and showy to darker and more laid back and vice-versa.  Politically...well, it's too unpredictable right now.  I'm really starting to hate what is going on politically and the fact that I'm a Political Science major makes it worse! 

Yep, 2011 will be VERY interesting as the second year is always the transition year.  I'll probably be studying abroad in Japan around this time next year so I'll have to view the changes in the US of late 2011 and the first half of 2012 from a distance.  If things change too drastically, I can look forward to some nice reverse culture shock when coming home!

2011. Just saying it sounds interesting, doesn't it?  :)

By 2012 all music will be very techno and very synthetic.  :(

Written By: Howard on 09/14/10 at 5:20 am

Flying cars.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/15/10 at 2:03 am

I think it will be better than 2010, which I don't think will be too difficult to accomplish.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/10 at 6:41 am

people will elect someone new for Mayor and President.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/15/10 at 1:33 pm

I predict that...

Billly Gahram, Jimmy Carter, Bush I, Mickey Rooney, or Betty White will be in the obituaries.

Dick Cheney will get another heart attack...or go to the hospital again.

SNL will make an unfunny movie.

Reality Shows will go into decline.

Cleveland will not...I REPEAT...will NOT win a Championship. (This is the only one that came true)

A Third World Nation will have a natural disaster and both Clinton and GWB will go down there.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/10 at 1:38 pm

MTV will celebrate their 30th Anniversary by making a show dedicated to 1981, music videos and everything associated with '81.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/10 at 1:39 pm

Billly Gahram, Jimmy Carter, Bush I, Mickey Rooney, or Betty White will be in the obituaries.

unfortunately,that could be true.  :(

Written By: Emman on 09/16/10 at 5:03 am

I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling the 2010's will be a very indie-ish decade in terms of pop culture(but very different from the alternative 90's 00's).
Like at the VMAs this year they had an indie rock band perform(and indie music has increased it's influence in mainstream culture in 2010, LCD soundsystem, MGMT).

Written By: Howard on 09/16/10 at 6:40 am

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Fembots_2_APIMOM.jpg

FEMBOTS!!!  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/16/10 at 2:19 pm

MTV will celebrate their 30th Anniversary by making a show dedicated to 1981, music videos and everything associated with '81.

That'll be cool!  8)

Written By: Howard on 09/16/10 at 6:50 pm

That'll be cool!  8)

I'd love to see that. :)

Written By: Emman on 09/21/10 at 12:32 pm

I also expect more David Guetta productions in 2011, his "euro-club sound" is really starting to catch on.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/10 at 12:51 pm

Lindsey Lohan will start a singing career.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/21/10 at 8:22 pm

I also expect more David Guetta productions in 2011, his "euro-club sound" is really starting to catch on.

Yeah house is making some inroads here which is good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/19 at 9:54 am

It was on this date (May 21st) in 2011, that Radio broadcaster Harold Camping predicted that the world would end on this date.

...and did it?

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/21/19 at 11:48 am

It was on this date (May 21st) in 2011, that Radio broadcaster Harold Camping predicted that the world would end on this date.

...and did it?

He constantly predicted the end of the world until his death in 2013.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/19 at 12:06 pm

He constantly predicted the end of the world until his death in 2013.
Did he correctly predict his own death?

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/21/19 at 12:21 pm

Did he correctly predict his own death?

He was ‘great’ at predicting things but his own demise wasn’t one of them.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/19 at 2:11 pm

...and did it?

The world is still here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/19 at 2:17 pm

The world is still here.
Yes, and I just looked out the window, and all seems fine.

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/19 at 2:46 pm

Starcraft 2 or Skyrim will win GOTY and the 3DS will amaze!

2011 was a great year in gaming.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...