inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is going to be the new amazing technology of the 2010s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/20/10 at 7:21 pm

It seems every decade or decade and a half is defined technologically by a certain amazing technology that comes out.
The 40s was defined by the Nuclear Bomb and all of the other technologies the war helped bring on.
The 50s and 60s were defined by the advent of the rocket and that culminated with the Moon Landing
The 70s and 80s were defined by Computers, Video Games and the Rise of Silicon Valley
The 90s were defined technologically by the amazing rise of the Internet to becoming a mainstream part of life.
The 00s were arguably defined technologically by DVDs and IPODs and the like--Digital storage mediums.

Subject: Re: What is going to be the new amazing technology of the 2010s?

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/10 at 7:50 pm

Mobile always "connected" devices and the continued lessening role of the PC will be the trend of the decade, cloud computing, death of physical media (I don't think there will be many discs of any form left in stores by 2020). I don't even remember the last time I used my DVD drive, it's getting to be a relic of the past that's no longer necessary in today's world, and that shows you how much things have changed. I spend almost as much time on my smartphone as on my laptop. Today's Android and iOS devices are a peak at the future but not really fully realized yet, but getting closer by the day.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/20/10 at 7:58 pm

Mobile always "connected" devices and the continued lessening role of the PC will be the trend of the decade, cloud computing, death of physical media (I don't think there will be many discs of any form left in stores by 2020). I don't even remember the last time I used my DVD drive, it's getting to be a relic of the past that's no longer necessary in today's world, and that shows you how much things have changed. I spend almost as much time on my smartphone as on my laptop. Today's Android and iOS devices are a peak at the future but not really fully realized yet, but getting closer by the day.

What would take the place of physical media?
And aren't stuff like portable hard drives and whatnot considered the future of digital storage?

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/10 at 8:02 pm

What would take the place of physical media?
And aren't stuff like portable hard drives and whatnot considered the future of digital storage?

Streaming media, it'll all be in the "cloud".

Written By: ADH13 on 09/20/10 at 8:11 pm

Hopefully a time machine!!!

And maybe the talk about the moon becoming a tourist attraction will be realized. :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/20/10 at 8:22 pm

Jetpacks!!!

http://images110.fotki.com/v569/photos/9/127099/8283887/jetpack1_0-vi.jpg

I hope.  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/10 at 8:24 pm

If it's not the marriage of ubiquitous computing and augmented reality a'la Rainbows End... well, crap, that bet just got taken two or three times.  I'd rate that probability at 50/50.

So I'll roll the dice and go with biotech: DIY/cheap ($100 or less) genetic sequencing and screening, and the insurance companies won't mind, because it'll only cost a few thousand bucks to come up with a drug that's tailored to be maximally effective with your genetic profile.   (Long shot: It might even become practical to genetically engineer (an organism that) secretes a drug that's unique to you.)  I'd rate the probability of personal genetically-tailored pharmaceuticals at around 10%, but in terms of social impact, it could be comparable to life extension by 20-50 years.

But jetpacks would be pretty cool, too.  (5%, but what an fun world it'd be!)

Written By: Howard on 09/21/10 at 6:47 am

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090318/afplivetwo815184-JAPAN-ROBOT_610x314.jpg

Robot Women.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/21/10 at 7:46 am

Robots and flying cars.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/21/10 at 11:11 am

You just know that someone's gonna take the technology from those airport scanners that can see through clothes, miniaturize it and make a pair of goggles out of it.  :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/21/10 at 12:37 pm

I'd STILL would like to see Transportation Chambers like in "Star Trek".

I could go to Paris and be back home all on the same day!

Written By: Howard on 09/21/10 at 12:48 pm

You just know that someone's gonna take the technology from those airport scanners that can see through clothes, miniaturize it and make a pair of goggles out of it.  :D

Wow,that's cool,I'd buy one. ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/21/10 at 12:50 pm

talking remote controls.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/10 at 3:12 pm

The re-discovery of using pen and paper.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/10 at 6:38 am

The re-discovery of using pen and paper.

How about talking pens?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/10 at 2:05 pm

How about talking pens?
They already exist, I saw some about five years back.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/10 at 6:54 am

They already exist, I saw some about five years back.

Where do you buy one?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/10 at 2:36 pm

Where do you buy one?  ???
I do not know where he got it from.

Check for new replies or respond here...