inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will be the dominant music genres in the 10's

Written By: Emman on 09/21/10 at 12:44 pm

The 70's had disco, funk, soft rock, prog rock
The 80's had new wave/synthpop, hair metal
The 90's had R&B, alternative rock, teenpop
The 00's had crunk/dirty south rap, urban pop, emo

What do you think will be one of the dominant genres in this decade? Even in the first year of most of the past decades(1970-soul, funk 1980-new wave 1990-alternative rock, eurodance 2000-urban/dirty south rap, pop-punk), there was already some traces of the current decade's music trends.

Subject: Re: What will be the dominant music genres in the 10's

Written By: Brian06 on 09/21/10 at 8:29 pm

Well it's starting off with an electro club sound at least in mainstream pop, I'm thinking what was indie in the '00s will be more mainstream this decade. Traditional radio will continue to fade in relevance, social internet radio programs (i.e. Pandora, Slacker) will become more and more the key ways people hear new music. It will get harder and harder to gauge what's the most popular since there's so many avenues for music today. It's not like the 20th century or even the first half of last decade.

Written By: Emman on 09/21/10 at 10:38 pm

Well it's starting off with an electro club sound at least in mainstream pop, I'm thinking what was indie in the '00s will be more mainstream this decade. Traditional radio will continue to fade in relevance, social internet radio programs (i.e. Pandora, Slacker) will become more and more the key ways people hear new music. It will get harder and harder to gauge what's the most popular since there's so many avenues for music today. It's not like the 20th century or even the first half of last decade.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that the electro club sound will define the early part of the decade, I was thinking the same thing about the indie stuff of the late 00's. Mainstream music could be a little more fragmented too although there probably will still be some central trends.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/22/10 at 1:24 am

I think tradition radio will die off by 2020.  :\'(

Written By: bchris02 on 09/22/10 at 2:03 pm

I disagree.  The iPod will likely kill off the CD by the end of the decade but I can't see it killing off radio.  A lot of people still listen to the radio in their cars and at work.  The viable alternatives to FM radio being satellite radio and Internet radio both would require monthly subscriptions that many people aren't ready for yet.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/10 at 6:56 am

And we will be saying that the 80's were 40 years ago. :o

Written By: Emman on 09/23/10 at 12:56 pm

Some of the alternative rock from 1988 and 89 sounds like it could have been released around 1996 or 1997, the same with some of the house music from that time. Even the music videos(by alternative artists) have a VERY 90's sensibility. We already know the "80's sound" was well established by 1979, 1980(like Devo, The Buggles). The late 90's and 00's are a little more tricky to me, despite what some people(on the forum) say about the late 90's and early/mid 00's music sounding exactly the same. I just don't see how it sounds THAT similar past 2001, I mean in 2001, 2002(and esp 2003) music became way way more urban, fastly moving away from the late 90's teenpop sound, even nu-metal didn't last past 2004. If there was a link between the late 90's and 00's it would be dirty south rap(Juvenile, Master P) and pop-punk which paved the way for emo music. The view that "grunge" was actually a dominant genre in the 00's(some even say now) to me is delusional :D, I even think that view is biased towards rock music, I mean let's face it, rock music is on life support. I know post-grunge was kind of popular during most of the 00's(esp the early part) but it still hugely pales in comparision to the hiphop/urban culture that was so dominant during the 00's, that to me is what gave the 00's a distinct identity.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/10 at 4:07 pm

Already? Wow, 40 years is a long time ago!  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/10 at 4:16 pm

Some of the alternative rock from 1988 and 89 sounds like it could have been released around 1996 or 1997, the same with some of the house music from that time. Even the music videos(by alternative artists) have a VERY 90's sensibility. We already know the "80's sound" was well established by 1979, 1980(like Devo, The Buggles). The late 90's and 00's are a little more tricky to me, despite what some people(on the forum) say about the late 90's and early/mid 00's music sounding exactly the same. I just don't see how it sounds THAT similar past 2001, I mean in 2001, 2002(and esp 2003) music became way way more urban, fastly moving away from the late 90's teenpop sound, even nu-metal didn't last past 2004. If there was a link between the late 90's and 00's it would be dirty south rap(Juvenile, Master P) and pop-punk which paved the way for emo music. The view that "grunge" was actually a dominant genre in the 00's(some even say now) to me is delusional :D, I even think that view is biased towards rock music, I mean let's face it, rock music is on life support. I know post-grunge was kind of popular during most of the 00's(esp the early part) but it still hugely pales in comparision to the hiphop/urban culture that was so dominant during the 00's, that to me is what gave the 00's a distinct identity.

In the 90s you could hear a few 'clues' of the 00s starting around as early as 1997 because there were some urban sounding songs already around then. By 1999, the pure acoustic and adult contemporary sounds (like Alanis Morrisette, Edwin McCain, and Paula Cole) was dead and replaced with teen pop. The urban sound of the 00s started right away in 2000 with rappers such as Nelly, Eminem, and Ja Rule coming to the mainstream. Although Eminem already broke out in 1999. I remember back in 2000 knowing instinctively that the 00s was gonna have a very urban feel to it.

Written By: Emman on 09/23/10 at 7:30 pm

In the 90s you could hear a few 'clues' of the 00s starting around as early as 1997 because there were some urban sounding songs already around then. By 1999, the pure acoustic and adult contemporary sounds (like Alanis Morrisette, Edwin McCain, and Paula Cole) was dead and replaced with teen pop. The urban sound of the 00s started right away in 2000 with rappers such as Nelly, Eminem, and Ja Rule coming to the mainstream. Although Eminem already broke out in 1999. I remember back in 2000 knowing instinctively that the 00s was gonna have a very urban feel to it.

You are dead right about that, the Puff Daddy/shiny suit style rap started around 1997, a true precursor to the bling bling rap. I would say if there was a year that could be the earliest to be considered noughties style music it would definitely be 1999. I noticed all the urban artist that poped up in 2000 too, and know what, 2000 was the first year I heard crunk style music being played on the radio(although it was urban radio, not top 40). I think 2009 is truely the year that changed the 00's to the 10's, there was a big change in atmosphere in late 08' that shaped 09', 2009 just does not go with the rest of the 00's in my opinion.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/23/10 at 8:51 pm

You are dead right about that, the Puff Daddy/shiny suit style rap started around 1997, a true precursor to the bling bling rap. I would say if there was a year that could be the earliest to be considered noughties style music it would definitely be 1999. I noticed all the urban artist that poped up in 2000 too, and know what, 2000 was the first year I heard crunk style music being played on the radio(although it was urban radio, not top 40). I think 2009 is truely the year that changed the 00's to the 10's, there was a big change in atmosphere in late 08' that shaped 09', 2009 just does not go with the rest of the 00's in my opinion.

Agreed late 2008 is when southern rap finally lost it's dominance. You'll still hear some on urban radio, but significantly less, and it's almost never on top 40 radio these days. I remember when the Ying Yang Twins, Lloyd Banks, Juvenile, Yung Joc, Young Dro was played on top 40 radio, these days it's a far cry from that. 2009 is when it got all skinny jeans and neon. Grillz and big chains really seem way dated now.

Written By: Emman on 09/23/10 at 8:53 pm

Do you know what style of music did a 180 in 2010, rap music. Yeah that's right, hate to say this, but some of the rap hits this year have been waaaaay more meaningful(maybe a little emo too) than any of the ringtone rap that was popular just 2, 3 years ago. Compare B.o.B's Airplanes(which was a number one hit this year) to something like Crank That, it seems rap is in the process of turning alternative quickly.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/10 at 11:02 pm

There's always a 'preview' of the coming decade's music usually during the last 2-3 years of a decade isn't there?

Written By: Howard on 09/24/10 at 6:32 am

Already? Wow, 40 years is a long time ago!  :(

I know,It's hard to believe.

Written By: Starde on 09/24/10 at 10:58 am

Wowza! :o

Written By: Howard on 09/24/10 at 2:23 pm

Wowza! :o

and the 1970's were 35 years ago.  :o

Written By: Superflykid2008@yahoo.com on 10/12/10 at 11:44 pm

Technically, on January 1st of 2020, the last year and day of the 80s, December 31st 1989 will have only been 30 years and 1 day old. So, techically the 80s, as enture decade will be a day over 30 in 2020...Fr instance, i was born at the end of the year of 1989, and i'll be 30 most of 2020

Written By: Howard on 10/13/10 at 6:44 am

Technically, on January 1st of 2020, the last year and day of the 80s, December 31st 1989 will have only been 30 years and 1 day old. So, techically the 80s, as enture decade will be a day over 30 in 2020...Fr instance, i was born at the end of the year of 1989, and i'll be 30 most of 2020

Thanks Superfly.

Check for new replies or respond here...