inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Return of Ben Affleck

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/26/10 at 5:33 pm

Not only is his latest film The Town, doing pretty good in the box office, is also getting good reviews too.

The irony?

It's even out grossing his ex girlfriend, Jennifer Lopez's last movie, The Back Up Plan!

;D

Subject: Re: The Return of Ben Affleck

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/12/10 at 9:22 pm

I just finished watching Gone Baby Gone (2007), directed and co-written by Ben Affleck and starring his brother Casey.

It was great and I highly recommend it. The Town was kickass too.

After seeing this movie tonight and The Town a few weeks back I think it's safe to say that Good Will Hunting was no fluke and that Ben Affleck is indeed quite talented behind the camera.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/10 at 2:15 am

I have been an Affleck fan all along, never gave up hope even after Gigli.  He is very smart, very talented, and will only get better.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/13/10 at 6:07 pm

I have been an Affleck fan all along, never gave up hope even after Gigli.  He is very smart, very talented, and will only get better.

I dunno, I got kind of sick of him during that whole Bennifer phase and Gigli was the low point of all that.

Seems like he's stepped back and focused on being less of a movie star and more of an actual filmmaker, and it seems to be paying off for him.

The only problem I see is, how many more gritty dramas set in Boston be made until gritty dramas set in Boston themselves become a total cliche? Then what will Ben Affleck do?

(Forget about Scary Movie, or Not Another Teen Movie, or Disaster Movie, or Date Movie, etc.  Someone totally needs to make Boston Crime Movie!!!  ::) ::) ::))

Written By: danootaandme on 10/14/10 at 7:44 am

I dunno, I got kind of sick of him during that whole Bennifer phase and Gigli was the low point of all that.

Seems like he's stepped back and focused on being less of a movie star and more of an actual filmmaker, and it seems to be paying off for him.

The only problem I see is, how many more gritty dramas set in Boston be made until gritty dramas set in Boston themselves become a total cliche? Then what will Ben Affleck do?

(Forget about Scary Movie, or Not Another Teen Movie, or Disaster Movie, or Date Movie, etc.  Someone totally needs to make Boston Crime Movie!!!  ::) ::) ::))

Boston crime movies have run there course, but I think Affleck is more versatile than that.  He is very smart, very savvy, and I think given a few more years he will surprise a lot of people.  Won't surprise me.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/14/10 at 10:37 am

I actually liked The Departed, a lot.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/14/10 at 4:34 pm

Boston crime movies have run there course, but I think Affleck is more versatile than that.  He is very smart, very savvy, and I think given a few more years he will surprise a lot of people.  Won't surprise me.

I was just being a smartass about the Boston crime movies, they haven't become a cliche quite yet but unfortunately they will be, just as soon as some hack directors start making a bunch of cheap crappy knockoffs.  :P

And as far as Affleck goes, I agree with you 100%. I think he may have the potential to be another Scorcese.  :o

If you liked The Departed then I highly recommend The Town, I dare say that it is just as good and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets some Academy Award nominations next year.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/15/10 at 7:18 am

I have liked most of the movies that have come out in the past couple of years, but I am afraid they will become a tired repeat, and the truth is harder hitting than the fiction, Mystic River was as close as it gets to the real thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...