inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Post new current music & music you think is ahead of its time

Written By: mutazeph on 10/01/10 at 8:55 pm

Here is some music that I think sets itself apart from the previous decade. Although it's mostly one genre, check it out, and post some music YOU feel is cutting edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6Jn5Yv8KA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7az3_-lvmNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIE9Qk6Yn7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAO-lzl3vVQ

Subject: Re: Post new current music & music you think is ahead of its time

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/10 at 11:22 am

This man is a genius and a visionary and I believe that he will become a major international superstar within the next 5 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFLw8aH-M2w

Written By: Howard on 10/02/10 at 2:59 pm

This man is a genius and a visionary and I believe that he will become a major international superstar within the next 5 years.

Mr.Fartman.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/10 at 3:05 pm

That guy can fart on cue like that.  If that ain't talent, nuthin' is

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 3:28 pm

I wonder if he lit it on fire too? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/10 at 3:41 pm

I wonder if he lit it on fire too? ???
Is he playing "Blowin' In The Wind"?

Written By: Howard on 10/02/10 at 3:50 pm

probably some tape recorder in the backstage area.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 9:04 pm

Is he playing "Blowin' In The Wind"?

No.  He is playing "Light My Fire" by The Back Doors.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/10 at 12:51 am

No.  He is playing "Light My Fire" by The Back Doors.  ;D
Wind of change by the Scorpions?

Written By: Henk on 10/03/10 at 1:16 am

Here is some music that I think sets itself apart from the previous decade. Although it's mostly one genre, check it out, and post some music YOU feel is cutting edge.

Gave your songs a listen. Here's my opinion:

ESKMO - Come Back
Think I'll pass, although I did listen to the full song.

Kavinsky - Nightcall
Cutting edge? Sounds more like an 80's tune to me.

C'est Exact Jack - F*** Us We're Famous
Dear lord have mercy. WTF?!?

Noisia - Machine Gun
First minute or so sounded promising. After that, they lost me. Still managed to listen to the full song.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 2:12 am

No.  He is playing "Light My Fire" by The Back Doors.   ;D

CCR: Good, good, good, lookin' out my backdoor!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 2:14 am

In the future you'll just ad set packets of musical preferences into your apps and your iLife will write all your music for you!
8-P

Written By: mutazeph on 10/03/10 at 3:10 am

I know the last videos I posted were a little indulgent, and that Mr. Methane guy sounded like a real asshole (ha ha  ok), so here's some more. I know that the 80s influence has been big for awhile, and although 90s has some nostalgia for it, we've never actually escaped it's influence, as alt-rock and rap have continued to dominate music. The two genres developing at the start of the 2010s, if you can call them genres, have been chillwave and witch house. While one is based on nostalgia and summer vibes while the other is characterized by slowed down beats and gothic menace, they are both made by cutting mixes together from older music. It's pretty much pure nostalgia, washed out and fuzzy. It's an of the moment thing that doesnt seem like it can influence an entire decade, although it could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtcaOKeeT5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ27Dcv4fc

I'm throwing this one in because it sounds futuristic to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcqifERzmkw

More surf rock would be nice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnbKuJsw_zY

My favorite song of the year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59HVHVllF4

Written By: Howard on 10/03/10 at 6:38 am

No.  He is playing "Light My Fire" by The Back Doors.   ;D

or "Fart,Fart,Fart".  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/10 at 12:15 pm

I got it now...

He's performing the hit song "Windy" by The ASSociation.  ;D

Written By: Emman on 10/03/10 at 2:11 pm

we've never actually escaped it's influence, as alt-rock and rap have continued to dominate music.

This is laughable, how in the world is "Rap" only a 90's genre, it started in the 70's for crying out loud and alternative rock has been around at least since the mid 80's.
I guess modern music is still stuck in the 1950's because rock music is still kind of popular(cause you know, it was popular in the 50's). You're even wrong about rap and alt-rock "dominating" current music, that honor goes to electropop/dance music. Rap is still popular(more like a niche now) but it does not dominate mainstream music like it did in the mid 90's to late 00's, and to add it has gone through numerous stylistic changes from the early/mid 90's to late 00's just like rock music has gone through numerous stylistic changes from the 50's, 60's 70's, 80's ect.

Written By: mutazeph on 10/03/10 at 3:08 pm

This is laughable, how in the world is "Rap" only a 90's genre, it started in the 70's for crying out loud and alternative rock has been around at least since the mid 80's.

No one said rap was only a 90s genre, although I probably should've gone into more detail. If that's the sentence you feel the most strongly about though, I was trying to say I feel
that there hasn't been enough stylistic change in mainstream music since the 90s for there to be 90s nostalgia. Nostalgia got out of hand when I love the new millenium aired on VH1 2 years before the decade even ended. But post some music that looks ahead, rap, rock, indie, chillwave, witch house, dubstep, anything.

Written By: Emman on 10/03/10 at 3:29 pm

No one said rap was only a 90s genre, although I probably should've gone into more detail. If that's the sentence you feel the most strongly about though, I was trying to say I feel
that there hasn't been enough stylistic change in mainstream music since the 90s for there to be 90s nostalgia. Nostalgia got out of hand when I love the new millenium aired on VH1 2 years before the decade even ended. But post some music that looks ahead, rap, rock, indie, chillwave, witch house, dubstep, anything.

I'd say the first half of the 90's could be considered "retro" but probably not the second half, 10, 12 years is not enough time in my opinion to be retro. The whole 90's(and the early 00's) is definitely dated though. I don't even know what to say about VH1 making a I Love The 00's(might as well say that) when the decade was not even over with, I guess in a year they'll be making a I love the 2010's series ;D.
In some of my earlier posts I"ve already mentioned dubstep and chillwave, I think chillwave is probably a 09/10 thing but dubstep might catch on in the US pretty soon.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/10 at 6:16 pm

I got it now...

He's performing the hit song "Windy" by The ASSociation.   ;D

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/10 at 12:12 am

Pop music is a basket case.  I don't even want to think of what they'll be dumping out there in thirty years!
8-P

In the avant garde the ensemble Bang On A Can inherited a bit of anything goes from the Fluxus movement of the 1960s.  We'll make classical music popular again in Greenwich Village!

Students willing to study John Cage, Pauline Olvieros, James Tenney, Harry Partch, Iannis Xenakis, Paul Lansky, Stuart Saunders Smith, Noah Creshevsky, and the dozens of composers (active today or in the past sixty years) are our best hope for a vibrant creative  music scene in the future. Our country treats musicians like crap until they're famous.  You get very polycultural composers nowadays.  Komungo composer Jin Hi Kim is a Korean emigre in the U.S. since 1980.  Electroacoustic/environmental sounds composer Natasha Barrett is native to the U.K. and studied with Jonty Harrison at Birmingham, but she makes her home in Norway most of the time...

Jazz ain't dead either, but don't get me started.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/10 at 6:35 am

Pop music is a basket case.  I don't even want to think of what they'll be dumping out there in thirty years!

Who knows what the music will sound like in 2040,I'll be too old to hear it anyway. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/10 at 10:53 pm

Who knows what the music will sound like in 2040,I'll be too old to hear it anyway. ::)

I'll be a drooling half-crazy old geezer trying to fob his old Smiths records on to his grandnephew.  He's saying, "Yeah, they're on CD.  Nobody's even seen a CD player for 20 years!"
;D

Written By: Howard on 10/05/10 at 5:20 am

I'll be a drooling half-crazy old geezer trying to fob his old Smiths records on to his grandnephew.  He's saying, "Yeah, they're on CD.  Nobody's even seen a CD player for 20 years!"
;D

I'll be 66 years old.

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/10 at 1:26 pm

or "Fart,Fart,Fart".  ;D

"Fart fart fart.  Fart fart fart.  Spread your buttcheeks"

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/05/10 at 1:35 pm

;D

My hell you guys.  Way to hijack this thread.  ::)

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/05/10 at 8:21 pm

;D

My hell you guys.  Way to hijack this thread.   ::)

;D

Isn't that great? O0  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/10 at 9:46 pm

My hell you guys.  Way to hijack this thread.   ::)

Hey, and I wasn't even involved, for once :)

Actually, I was kinda enjoying it.  Never hurts to hear new sounds, or old sounds made new.  Radio's dead.  The album is dead.  Traditional pop marketing channels have led us into a vortex of autotuned suck.  The only way to find new music anymore is to listen to whatever other people are listening to, and the only way to find that is to stumble blindly around the 'net until you find something you like, and then go download it.

(To the original poster - we're not usually this bad.  Well, we are, but we don't mean anything bad by it.  We're a weird little backwater of the 'net, but we're friendlier than we look.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 2:39 am

A good album had a theme, or a mood, or a message behind.  "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" is a perfect example.  People would sit down and listen to a whole album as though it were a movie or a television program.  The listening experience for the past decade has gotten more and more fragmented into songs.  Perhaps AOR (Album Oriented Rock) is dead.  There is a lot more music out there than there ever was...including great music, it just takes some patience to dig through the trash until you find it.
:)

Written By: Howard on 10/06/10 at 5:39 am

Hey, and I wasn't even involved, for once :)

Actually, I was kinda enjoying it.  Never hurts to hear new sounds, or old sounds made new.  Radio's dead.  The album is dead.  Traditional pop marketing channels have led us into a vortex of autotuned suck.  The only way to find new music anymore is to listen to whatever other people are listening to, and the only way to find that is to stumble blindly around the 'net until you find something you like, and then go download it.

(To the original poster - we're not usually this bad.  Well, we are, but we don't mean anything bad by it.  We're a weird little backwater of the 'net, but we're friendlier than we look.)

I don't want to listen to whatever people are listening to,today's music sucks compared to the 80's and classic R & B,that's my era.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/06/10 at 11:07 am

We're a weird little backwater of the 'net, but we're friendlier than we look.

Love this  :)

Written By: Emman on 10/06/10 at 2:20 pm

I don't want to listen to whatever people are listening to,today's music sucks compared to the 80's and classic R & B,that's my era.

WHHHAAAAAT! You don't like the great Ke$ha, Will.I.Am, Bieber, man do you know what you're missing. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/06/10 at 4:21 pm

WHHHAAAAAT! You don't like the great Ke$ha, Will.I.Am, Bieber, man do you know what you're missing. ::)

Some of them are ok I rarely listen to today's music,that's my honest truth.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/06/10 at 6:20 pm

Some of them are ok I rarely listen to today's music,that's my honest truth.

Just think... some time in the future, Ke$ha may be considered a "jammin oldie"...  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/10 at 12:09 am

Music went down the poo hole!  :-[ ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/07/10 at 6:50 am

Just think... some time in the future, Ke$ha may be considered a "jammin oldie"...  :o

or even Lady Gaga 20 years from now. By the time Madonna is 70,Lady Gaga could be the "new" Madonna of her time.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/10 at 6:51 am

It sure did.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 1:41 am

The popular culture is too fragmented for a universal "pop music."  Some might like music they hear at the the gym, others might like music they hear in their video games.  It depends on whatever your lifestyle is geared toward. 

Written By: Howard on 10/08/10 at 6:32 am

The popular culture is too fragmented for a universal "pop music."  Some might like music they hear at the the gym, others might like music they hear in their video games.  It depends on whatever your lifestyle is geared toward. 

I like the music I hear from the 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...