inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The last Cathy comic strip, ever.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/03/10 at 11:01 am

http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=06001b3c2864a7d008d8f9ff3e408d59

Cathy at the very beginning.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/e3/e2/dfa7e2d840e6bb692f31b14deddd.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbCT5fXdhhc

Subject: Re: The last Cathy comic strip, ever.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/03/10 at 2:04 pm

I remember the 1987 TV Special!

8w_wZ0YyxLI
NQQTPqqwzCY
NEFBz5SBACg

Written By: Howard on 10/03/10 at 6:19 pm

But she never ages. ???

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/10 at 8:11 pm

But she never ages. ???

Neither does Beetle Bailey

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/03/10 at 8:48 pm

So... life imitates Achewood.

http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/autaux?b=M^a11f09b8576e606bcb5038dfdb92fb821&u=http%3A%2F%2Fachewood.com%2Fcomic.php%3Fdate%3D05232003

Then again, maybe it's just the beer talkin'...

http://www.libertymeadows.com/uncengal/images/126.jpg

But y'know what?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Cathy_Guisewite_(1987).jpg/250px-Cathy_Guisewite_(1987).jpg

I'd hit it.  Well-played, Ms. Guisewite.  Now if you could only convince Jim Davis to call it a career...  I can dream, can't I?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 11:58 pm

If only Jim Davis finished Garfield with Jon dying of a stroke and Garfield and Odie collect on the proceeds.
>:(

I'll say this much for Jim Davis, he sure knew how to get 30 years of comic strips out of 3 years worth of material!

Cathy?  I didn't read that thing for the same reason I didn't read Cosmo.  It's obviously not for me.
:-\\

Written By: Howard on 10/04/10 at 6:38 am

If only Jim Davis finished Garfield with Jon dying of a stroke and Garfield and Odie collect on the proceeds.

I'll say this much for Jim Davis, he sure knew how to get 30 years of comic strips out of 3 years worth of material!

Cathy?  I didn't read that thing for the same reason I didn't read Cosmo.  It's obviously not for me.
:-\\

Jon is still the same person in the comic strip.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/10 at 7:53 am

Hey, Garfield made a fine contribution in the form of those movies that had Jennifer Love Hewitt in them.

I wonder when the next Garfield/Hewitt flick comes out? ???

http://www.femail.com.au/img/jennifer_lovehewitt_garfiel.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/10 at 11:36 am

I used to read Cathy but after awhile I became really bored with it. If you read one strip, you read them all. It was the same thing over & over again. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/04/10 at 12:40 pm

Ever seen "Garfield...Minus Garfield"?

I think it's funny!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l99lu7gjCs1qz8z2ro1_r1_500.png

Written By: Howard on 10/04/10 at 1:46 pm

I used to read Cathy but after awhile I became really bored with it. If you read one strip, you read them all. It was the same thing over & over again. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Cat

and she never seems to lose weight always eating that junk food.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/10 at 1:59 pm

Maybe her daughter can resume producing the strip in a few years...  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/04/10 at 2:04 pm

How about Cathy 20 or 30 years in the future?  ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/04/10 at 2:09 pm

How about Cathy 20 or 30 years in the future?  ???

I think that Cathy Guisewite, the creator of Cathy, is planing on a Bill Waterson, meaning that Cathy is indefinitely ended.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/10 at 10:21 pm

Ever seen "Garfield...Minus Garfield"?

I think it's funny!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l99lu7gjCs1qz8z2ro1_r1_500.png

Oh, yes.  Laughed my ass off!  I recommend "Garfield Minus Garfield" with all my heart.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/05/10 at 2:18 am

Cat

I did too. The comic started off with a lot of hoopla about finally there was a comic from a modern woman’s point of view, a step up to the viewpoint of Annie Hall to the old boy network of newspaper syndicated comics.

Soon it turned in to a whine fest, usually over three things: Food, clothes and her tentative boyfriend/relationship issues. It got really tiring and, I, for one, thought it was somewhat ironic that the “modern woman” comic strip did more to stereotype the life and concerns of women than any preconceived notion the other comic strips ever could.

Cathy never resolved any issue, or tried to overcome them. She just complained about being a victim of the clothing manufacturers, a victim of the food industry and not having a boyfriend or the faults of her boyfriend. Her life was shaped by these three things and she had no other outlook or opinions life. 

Cathy: I love food, it makes me fat. The clothes the stores sell don’t fit. My boss is unreasonable. My boyfriend doesn’t want to commit..Ad infinitum.

Depressing and not funny. Good riddance.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/10 at 5:17 am

I think that Cathy Guisewite, the creator of Cathy, is planing on a Bill Waterson, meaning that Cathy is indefinitely ended.

What do you mean? The comic strip?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/05/10 at 5:19 am

I did too. The comic started off with a lot of hoopla about finally there was a comic from a modern woman’s point of view, a step up to the viewpoint of Annie Hall to the old boy network of newspaper syndicated comics.

Soon it turned in to a whine fest, usually over three things: Food, clothes and her tentative boyfriend/relationship issues. It got really tiring and, I, for one, thought it was somewhat ironic that the “modern woman” comic strip did more to stereotype the life and concerns of women than any preconceived notion the other comic strips ever could.

Cathy never resolved any issue, or tried to overcome them. She just complained about being a victim of the clothing manufacturers, a victim of the food industry and not having a boyfriend or the faults of her boyfriend. Her life was shaped by these three things and she had no other outlook or opinions life. 

Cathy: I love food, it makes me fat. The clothes the stores sell don’t fit. My boss is unreasonable. My boyfriend doesn’t want to commit..Ad infinitum.

That's all she was good for was complaining.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/10 at 12:05 pm

You nailed it. The best comic strip about a modern woman IMO is For Better or Worse. At least Elly is more realist in dealing with real life situations and she has grown as an person, unlike Cathy who never changes.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/05/10 at 12:44 pm

Oh, yes.  Laughed my ass off!  I recommend "Garfield Minus Garfield" with all my heart.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Well...here's the site.

garfieldminusgarfield.net

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/05/10 at 4:57 pm

That's all she was good for was complaining.  ::)

I woulda partied with her...  :P

Well, that is, if I were a two-dimensional comic strip character...  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/05/10 at 8:20 pm

I woulda partied with her...  :P

Well, that is, if I were a two-dimensional comic strip character...   ;D

You'd party with anybody.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/10 at 9:42 pm

http://multiply.com/mu/avalondire/image/3/photos/7/600x600/2/lio080120ij0.gif?et=1V5yBHxaLEAAX0uvupA58g&nmid=78732427

In the words of Gary Larson, "Oh, please, oh, please...", let Mark Tatulli (Lio) do something like this for Cathy, set in the 2030s :)  (And a mash-up with For Better or Worse would be just about right.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/05/10 at 10:03 pm

You'd party with anybody.  ::)

While I will agree that my standards are easily met, I would not party with just anyone.

For example, I would not party with Rosie O'Donnell or Jenna Jameson..    ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 2:30 am

I'll direct both ladies to Lyricboy's chambers and let nature take its course.  I think we'll find LB supposes erroneously!
:-*

Written By: Howard on 10/06/10 at 5:41 am

While I will agree that my standards are easily met, I would not party with just anyone.

I'd party with Jenna Jameson but not Rosie.  :P

Written By: Howard on 10/06/10 at 5:42 am

Didn't Cathy have a boyfriend or a husband? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/06/10 at 10:01 am

Didn't Cathy have a boyfriend or a husband? ???

Yes, it was Irving.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 1:19 pm

Yes, it was Irving.

Irving?  I think I get it now...but I'm not going to say it.
:-X

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/10 at 1:38 pm

Irving?  I think I get it now...but I'm not going to say it.
:-X

Big short, fat Irving? The 142nd fastest gun in the west?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD8EtvWW8nw

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/06/10 at 4:41 pm

Yes, it was Irving.

Yes I think that was the one she was going to marry.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/06/10 at 7:07 pm

But she never ages. ???

And she's never funny either.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/06/10 at 9:32 pm

Big short, fat Irving? The 142nd fastest gun in the west?

141 could shoot faster than she, so Cathy just settled for 143.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/10 at 6:54 am

If her Wiki page says she was born in 1950,shouldn't she be 60 years old?  ??? I mean for her age she sure hides it well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 1:37 am

It was quaint when it started in kind of a "That Girl" way.  Then the repetitive themes and predictable jokes just kind of took over. 

This happened to comic strips I liked too, such as "B.C.," which remained relatively funny, the dailies were often terrible.

Here are two cave men panels I drew in 1976 and one of them is reading this text as a caption on a clay tablet....

Written By: Howard on 10/08/10 at 6:34 am

How come she never wound up with anorexia with all that food she ate almost all the time?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/08/10 at 11:46 am

How come she never wound up with anorexia with all that food she ate almost all the time?

Howard, you don't get anorexia by eating. You get anorexia by NOT eating-people who starve themselves, sometimes to death.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/08/10 at 3:58 pm

Howard, you don't get anorexia by eating. You get anorexia by NOT eating-people who starve themselves, sometimes to death.  :-\\

Cat

How much did she weigh but she never mentioned it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/08/10 at 5:17 pm

How much did she weigh but she never mentioned it.

If she ever weighed herself she would have said...

Aaaaaacccckkkkk!!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 8:52 pm

Howard, you don't get anorexia by eating. You get anorexia by NOT eating people.  :-\\

Cat

Huh?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/10 at 11:16 pm

Huh?  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Soylent Green is Cathy!

I didn't know the surgeons could do that sorta thing, but now that the strip's over, the truth can come out.  Cathy is Charlie Brown after a transition.  That's right.  Charlie Brown was an MtF transsexual.  Haven't seen Charlie around for the past decade or so, have we?  But there's a newcomer to the funny pages.  Big round head, insecure, pround to screaming "AAAAAUGH!", gave up on the red-headed girl and his other abusive friends, and after Lucy pulled the football away from him one time too many, she started a new life.  Only thing left of her old life was her first initial.  And the neuroses. 

Anyways, that's the truth, and now you know.  All of a sudden, that Family Circus movie doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/10 at 12:31 am

Soylent Green is Cathy!

I didn't know the surgeons could do that sorta thing, but now that the strip's over, the truth can come out.  Cathy is Charlie Brown after a transition.  That's right.  Charlie Brown was an MtF transsexual.  Haven't seen Charlie around for the past decade or so, have we?  But there's a newcomer to the funny pages.  Big round head, insecure, pround to screaming "AAAAAUGH!", gave up on the red-headed girl and his other abusive friends, and after Lucy pulled the football away from him one time too many, she started a new life.  Only thing left of her old life was her first initial.  And the neuroses. 

Anyways, that's the truth, and now you know.  All of a sudden, that Family Circus movie doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Still Family Circus, dude.  If we could bottle the stuff we could fight wars with it.  We could bore our enemies to death.  Family Circus is worse than Hi and Lois!
8-P

Written By: Howard on 10/09/10 at 5:21 am

If she ever weighed herself she would have said...

Aaaaaacccckkkkk!!!!!

She always got on the scales and weighed herself.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/10/10 at 6:27 pm

Yes I think that was the one she was going to marry.

Well, she is married to him, they both got married alittle while back in the strip.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/10/10 at 6:35 pm

Well, she is married to him, they both got married alittle while back in the strip.

Yep.  That's why she announced the baby in the last strip.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/11/10 at 6:42 am

and that's why it was the last comic strip cause of her pregnancy?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/10 at 12:26 pm

and that's why it was the last comic strip cause of her pregnancy?  ???

Yeah.  That's what finally happened to Nancy.  I know Sluggo's the dad, but he's blaming it on Spike.  Anyway, the publishers didn't feel it was good for their image...

:D

Written By: Howard on 10/11/10 at 6:29 pm

Yeah.  That's what finally happened to Nancy.  I know Sluggo's the dad, but he's blaming it on Spike.  Anyway, the publishers didn't feel it was good for their image...

:D

Who's Nancy?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/11/10 at 6:40 pm

Who's Nancy?  ???

Here she is with Sluggo...

http://www.interestingideas.com/ii/pix/nanst.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/11/10 at 7:02 pm

Here she is with Sluggo...

http://www.interestingideas.com/ii/pix/nanst.jpg

How old was Nancy and Sluggo? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/10 at 10:35 pm

How old was Nancy and Sluggo? ???

Thirty-five.  Their growth was stunted by smoking cigarettes. 

But seriously...

I can't fault anybody under sixty for not knowing Nancy comics.  I didn't know Nancy until Mad magazine did a spoof on it circa 1980!  Apparently, the strip is still in syndication.  Who reads it?  I dunno.  Old folks I guess.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/12/10 at 6:42 am

Thirty-five.  Their growth was stunted by smoking cigarettes. 

But seriously...

I can't fault anybody under sixty for not knowing Nancy comics.  I didn't know Nancy until Mad magazine did a spoof on it circa 1980!  Apparently, the strip is still in syndication.  Who reads it?  I dunno.  Old folks I guess.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Both of them were 35? They look pretty good for 35.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 8:48 pm

Both of them were 35? They look pretty good for 35.

I was just making a joke.  I think Nancy and Sluggo are about 8 or 10.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/13/10 at 10:57 am

I didn't even see the last strip until this thread. Heck, I didn't even know about the strip being retired until close to the time that it was about to.

The first one I seen retire was For Better or For Worse. I would count Calvin and Hobbes, but I hadn't really read the comics around the time Bill decided to end it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 9:08 pm

Bill Watterson ("Calvin and Hobbes") and Gary Larson ("The Far Side") both retired their cartoons in 1995.  Sad time for fans but both cartoonist knew the key to going down as legend:  Quit while you're ahead.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/10 at 5:45 am

Bill Watterson ("Calvin and Hobbes") and Gary Larson ("The Far Side") both retired their cartoons in 1995.  Sad time for fans but both cartoonist knew the key to going down as legend:  Quit while you're ahead.

How about Bil Keane who made Family Circus.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/10 at 11:43 am

Don't forget about Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County) who retired in 1989.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/14/10 at 7:31 pm

Cat

That was a cartoon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/10 at 8:28 pm

Bloom County was awesome!  One of my favorites! 

http://kayatthekeyboard.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/bill_the_cat.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/15/10 at 7:20 am

Bloom County was awesome!  One of my favorites! 

http://kayatthekeyboard.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/bill_the_cat.gif

I liked that cartoon.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/15/10 at 6:33 pm

Cat

Which spun into Outland and Opus later.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/10 at 6:39 pm

Bloom County was one of my favorites too.

Seems like one really good daily comic comes along every 5-10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc

Check for new replies or respond here...