inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I saw a commercial today... (plus a possible mega-disaster in the future thought

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/03/10 at 3:09 pm

Where the only formats that they advertised a home video release were in Blu-Ray and digital copy, meaning that DVDs are pretty much a thing of the past and that the digital copies may eventually replace the Blu-Ray. Around 2000, it was VHS and DVD, then in the second half of the 2000s, it was DVD and Blu-Ray, and now, this streaming format has taken over. It's depressing when there will be no more tangible paper to view what the DVDs, and I despise a completely paperless society.

I wish there was not a VHS comeback, but an ACUTAL FILM on REEL comeback; it's the real thing when we think of a "movie". We must preserve our history by having tangible copies; I fear the greatest potential 21st century disaster will be when the nucleus of the cloud in the "cloud computing" concept crashes by pirate seekers looking for free stuff, and shuts down and thus all non-paper information is lost; and a possible war/riot could break out. Realizing how many people who were over-dependant on technology, the lower-tech societies could win out and become the new superpower, and it could mirror the fall of Rome perhaps.

Subject: Re: I saw a commercial today... (plus a possible mega-disaster in the future thought

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/03/10 at 3:24 pm

Actually, they still from time to time, advertise movies as coming out on both Blu Ray and DVD.

Subject: Re: I saw a commercial today... (plus a possible mega-disaster in the future thought

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/10 at 5:17 pm

Where the only formats that they advertised a home video release were in Blu-Ray and digital copy, meaning that DVDs are pretty much a thing of the past and that the digital copies may eventually replace the Blu-Ray. Around 2000, it was VHS and DVD, then in the second half of the 2000s, it was DVD and Blu-Ray, and now, this streaming format has taken over. It's depressing when there will be no more tangible paper to view what the DVDs, and I despise a completely paperless society.

I wish there was not a VHS comeback, but an ACUTAL FILM on REEL comeback; it's the real thing when we think of a "movie". We must preserve our history by having tangible copies; I fear the greatest potential 21st century disaster will be when the nucleus of the cloud in the "cloud computing" concept crashes by pirate seekers looking for free stuff, and shuts down and thus all non-paper information is lost; and a possible war/riot could break out. Realizing how many people who were over-dependant on technology, the lower-tech societies could win out and become the new superpower, and it could mirror the fall of Rome perhaps.

I find it quite surprising that so many people have embraced "cloud computing", which I refer to as "clown computing".  ::)

With all the privacy and hacking issues that already exist, why ON EARTH would I consent to keep my personal and business data on somebody else's computer? You will not see either me, or any business that I manage, signing on for that.  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/10 at 10:34 pm

I find it quite surprising that so many people have embraced "cloud computing", which I refer to as "clown computing".  ::)

With all the privacy and hacking issues that already exist, why ON EARTH would I consent to keep my personal and business data on somebody else's computer? You will not see either me, or any business that I manage, signing on for that.   8-P

In sex ed they taught us to assume "every time you have sex with somebody, you are also having sex with every person that person has ever had sex with."*  8

There's an analogy with the "cloud computing."

I won't even do P2P.  God knows what you could pick up.
::)

* Under the six-degrees-of-separation rule, wouldn't that mean everybody who has ever had sex has had sex with everybody whose ever had sex.  How many times can I use the word "sex" in an off-topic post.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/downtown.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/05/10 at 5:05 pm

By the way, Iron Man 2 ads having been adverting as film being on both DVD and Blu Ray.

I am not quite worried about DVD dying yet.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/10 at 9:34 pm

I won't even do P2P.  God knows what you could pick up.

Dude, you never go P2P.

* Under the six-degrees-of-separation rule, wouldn't that mean everybody who has ever had sex has had sex with everybody whose ever had sex.  How many times can I use the word "sex" in an off-topic post.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/downtown.gif

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/Adolescent%20romantic%20network_reviseda.jpg

How about I introduce graph theory into this?  Yes, this is a real graph, and it means exactly what you think it means.

(And to the blue dot in the graph segment that's in the top of the chart, second from the right... you know the one I'm talkin' 'bout.  Way to go, dude!  Live the dream!)

Check for new replies or respond here...