inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: IRT Deadliest Roads

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/10 at 7:27 pm

Anyone watch it????  I can't take my eyes off, it is like a train wreck...

Those truckers are crazy - I couldn't drive those roads with a volkswagon bug.... :P

Subject: Re: IRT Most Deadliest Roads

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 8:39 pm

never seen it/heard of it... oh wait... IRT is Ice Road Truckers right? Okay I've heard of it but never watched it... what channel does it come on again?

Subject: Re: IRT Most Dangerous Roads

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/10 at 8:44 pm

never seen it/heard of it... oh wait... IRT is Ice Road Truckers right? Okay I've heard of it but never watched it... what channel does it come on again?
History Channel  - It is on right now (central time)... Damn it is Deadliest roads - they are on some road in India, that people die every 4 1/2 minutes :P

Subject: Re: IRT Deadliest Roads

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/10 at 8:47 pm

I hope I fixt the name now - I got too absorbed into the :P show

I still feel a little sick, wonder what Al-B would think of this  ???

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/10 at 8:50 pm

The road is called "The Ledge"  blind corners, only large enough for 1 vehicle to pass through safely - Have to honk your horn to let people know your coming around the corners.  The road washes away, rocks fall down.  :P Shear cliff

Subject: Re: IRT Most Dangerous Roads

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 8:52 pm

History Channel  - It is on right now (central time)... Damn it is Deadliest roads - they are on some road in India, that people die every 4 1/2 minutes :P

I watch the Amazing Race. I've seen how they drive in India... so I believe it!

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 8:53 pm

I went back and fixt mine too!

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/10 at 9:10 pm

I went back and fixt mine too!
The road is crazy

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/17/10 at 9:16 pm

Damn, I got home a little to late to catch this, I saw the ads for it.

I'll definitely try and check it out next time it's on.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/10 at 9:20 pm

Damn, I got home a little to late to catch this, I saw the ads for it.

I'll definitely try and check it out next time it's on.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/10 at 9:33 pm

why thanks for repeating it sami but I already saw it the first time Al posted  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 6:48 am

Do they talk about New York City's  deadliest roads? ???

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/18/10 at 12:52 pm

not right now - they are in Delhi, and they are driving "The Ledge" .  Yes it is 2 way traffic, but barely wide enough...

http://67.199.121.48/_media/imgs/articles/a432_death.jpg

During the rainy season the road, is nothing but slime and a water fall (washing away the road, trees and rock slides)

http://www.with-open-eyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dsc01893.jpg

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 2:17 pm

not right now - they are in Delhi, and they are driving "The Ledge" .  Yes it is 2 way traffic, but barely wide enough...

http://67.199.121.48/_media/imgs/articles/a432_death.jpg

During the rainy season the road, is nothing but slime and a water fall (washing away the road, trees and rock slides)

http://www.with-open-eyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dsc01893.jpg

Wow,those guys have to be careful. :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/10 at 2:39 pm

Possibly the Hempstead Turnpike

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/nyregion/24pike.html

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 3:12 pm

I heard about these areas that are dangerous,you have to watch your step.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/18/10 at 4:27 pm

Obviously you haven't seen the show - go run off and play now  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/10 at 7:10 pm

do they show any vehicles actually falling off the cliff? While it'd be sad it's also be kinda cool to see...

yeah Im a sick freak I admit it.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/18/10 at 7:13 pm

do they show any vehicles actually falling off the cliff? While it'd be sad it's also be kinda cool to see...

yeah Im a sick freak I admit it.
They have compute animation... WHAT Could go wrong.  Next week (or maybe this week - the new episode) has a truck that goes over the edge... Not sure if it is the female IRT or not

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/10 at 7:15 pm

They have compute animation... WHAT Could go wrong.  Next week (or maybe this week - the new episode) has a truck that goes over the edge... Not sure if it is the female IRT or not

I hope it's not the female... that would just lend credence to that whole women drivers thing  ::)

computer animation not as cool as seeing the real thing... but.. less deadly  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/10 at 9:36 pm

I hope it's not the female... that would just lend credence to that whole women drivers thing  ::)

It'll be a guy who drives off the road 'cos he's too stubborn to stop and ask for directions!
:P

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/10 at 10:41 pm

It'll be a guy who drives off the road 'cos he's too stubborn to stop and ask for directions!

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/19/10 at 6:45 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/19/10 at 6:47 am

then drive off a cliff.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/10 at 2:29 pm

While we don't have anything like those skinny shelves carved into the sides of the Andes, we've got some pretty dangerous roads in the U.S.  It might make a good show...but I don't think legislatures would appreciate the added pressure about the "dangerous roads" in their states!

As for "Ice Road Truckers," if I ever had the time, the money, and the right vehicle, I'd love to ride those subarctic roads...but alas, I doubt I ever shall.
:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/19/10 at 2:38 pm

Never looked forward to going to the Northeast when I was long-hauling, Pennsylvania had some really narrow, winding roads.

And I especially hated driving a truck in Pittsburgh, that place was a sonofabitch to get around.  :o :o :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/10 at 1:03 am

Never looked forward to going to the Northeast when I was long-hauling, Pennsylvania had some really narrow, winding roads.

And I especially hated driving a truck in Pittsburgh, that place was a sonofabitch to get around.  :o :o :o

Boston's worse!  It's downright cruel to ask a fellow to drive a tractor-trailer into Greater Boston, but the trucks slam in and out of there day in day out.  They scare the hell out of motorists and pedestrians alike, but if they don't, they won't get anywhere in the city and everyone knows it!
:o

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/21/10 at 11:31 pm

Hella I hate hauling a boat around the windey, no shoulder, Missouri roads around the Ozarks:).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/10 at 8:16 pm

Hella I hate hauling a boat around the windey, no shoulder, Missouri roads around the Ozarks:).

Aren't those lakes full of water moccasins? 
???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/22/10 at 8:58 pm

Boston's worse!  It's downright cruel to ask a fellow to drive a tractor-trailer into Greater Boston, but the trucks slam in and out of there day in day out.  They scare the hell out of motorists and pedestrians alike, but if they don't, they won't get anywhere in the city and everyone knows it!
Never did get to Boston, I'd often heard that before the days of GPS it was notoriously difficult to navigate. I've looked at maps of Boston and seen how it's laid out and I can see where it would be very easy to get lost there.

The thing about Pittsburgh is, not only is it a major metropolitan area with narrow, winding roads but it's also surrounded by mountains so you also have steep hills to contend with as well. (I've also heard that San Francisco is also a nightmare to get around in a semi, for the very same reasons.)

But those days are behind me, I'm perfectly content to drive around the KC metro and bump docks all day.  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/24/10 at 9:19 pm

I finally saw IRT Deadliest Roads tonight, and all I can say is HOLY CRAP.  :o :o :o

I can't begin to imagine how scary those roads must actually be and if that's not bad enough, you have to negotiate them in some junky Indian truck that's made out of plywood or something.

Screw that.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/10 at 1:20 am

I finally saw IRT Deadliest Roads tonight, and all I can say is HOLY CRAP.  :o :o :o

I can't begin to imagine how scary those roads must actually be and if that's not bad enough, you have to negotiate them in some junky Indian truck that's made out of plywood or something.

Even more fun when the mud and the rocks come rolling down the mountain!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tongue1.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/25/10 at 6:16 am

Exactly!  The one trucker had the tire completely taken off because they still use 2 piece rims there and the tire was seated wrong!  He did not want a blow out on one of those roads!  So he took up time, but got the tire on right!

The girl did not go over the edge but someone did, and they didn't make it by the looks of the blue blanket covering something on the side of the road!

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/25/10 at 6:18 am

Also tonight, the man ended up blowing out a couple windows on a bus...  A mob forms, on this little ledge of a road.  They finally pay $10 so the bus driver can repair his windows with door glass!

Written By: Howard on 10/25/10 at 6:45 am

Also tonight, the man ended up blowing out a couple windows on a bus...  A mob forms, on this little ledge of a road.  They finally pay $10 so the bus driver can repair his windows with door glass!

How did he do that?  :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/25/10 at 5:55 pm

Exactly!  The one trucker had the tire completely taken off because they still use 2 piece rims there and the tire was seated wrong!  He did not want a blow out on one of those roads!  So he took up time, but got the tire on right!

The girl did not go over the edge but someone did, and they didn't make it by the looks of the blue blanket covering something on the side of the road!

Here in the US they quit using split rim wheels on trucks at least 20 years ago and with good reason: They're wickedly dangerous. Some of the trucks I drove in the army still used them, and they had this steel cage outside the motor pool where you were required to place the tire inside while you were airing it up (you might still see some of these cages outside some older tire stores and truck stops), because that steel ring was in there so tightly that if it were to come flying off it would do so with such force and velocity that it could literally cut a man in two.

To be honest, when I saw them airing up that tire with the split rim while it was laying on the ground like that (instead of inside a cage), it made me almost as nervous as watching those trucks on those narrow roads thousands of feet up, and I'm surprised that American driver just stood there up close instead of keeping his distance.  :o :o :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/25/10 at 9:17 pm

Here in the US they quit using split rim wheels on trucks at least 20 years ago and with good reason: They're wickedly dangerous. Some of the trucks I drove in the army still used them, and they had this steel cage outside the motor pool where you were required to place the tire inside while you were airing it up (you might still see some of these cages outside some older tire stores and truck stops), because that steel ring was in there so tightly that if it were to come flying off it would do so with such force and velocity that it could literally cut a man in two.

To be honest, when I saw them airing up that tire with the split rim while it was laying on the ground like that (instead of inside a cage), it made me almost as nervous as watching those trucks on those narrow roads thousands of feet up, and I'm surprised that American driver just stood there up close instead of keeping his distance.  :o :o :o
Must be shown in this picture

http://www.safetyline.wa.gov.au/imagebin/rim2.gif

seems a little dangerous  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/10 at 9:17 pm

^ You guys are getting all Hank Hill talking about dang old split rim wheels and proper tire seating!  In lots of places with those dangerous roads, the best they can do is rig together whatever parts are available and if it goes forward, it goes down the dang old road!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/26/10 at 5:45 pm

^ You guys are getting all Hank Hill talking about dang old split rim wheels and proper tire seating!  In lots of places with those dangerous roads, the best they can do is rig together whatever parts are available and if it goes forward, it goes down the dang old road!

And when all the duct-tape and Elmer's glue they use to hold that crappy old truck together finally comes apart, it goes right down a 2000-foot cliff.

No thanks.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/10 at 9:51 pm

And when all the duct-tape and Elmer's glue they use to hold that crappy old truck together finally comes apart, it goes right down a 2000-foot cliff.

No thanks.   :P

Then I pull my donkey cart around to the bottom of the cliff, take the salvageable bits back to town and sell them back to the trucking company.  Some of them parts went over that cliff three times!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angel4.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/27/10 at 6:38 am

I always thought that Queens Blvd was the deadliest road in New York City,they call it The Boulevard of Death cause so many people will killed by oncoming traffic.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/08/01/alg_51st_queens.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/28/10 at 7:55 pm

You couldn't pay me enough to drive in India. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

:o :o :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/10 at 1:39 pm

India.

Beautiful scenery, but I don't think I could stop biting my fingernails long enough to operate the camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9nMlfqJC0

Written By: Howard on 10/30/10 at 7:56 pm

India.

Beautiful scenery, but I don't think I could stop biting my fingernails long enough to operate the camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9nMlfqJC0

Wow,that's some big view. :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/15/10 at 4:52 pm

Yep - last night I was able to watch this, I have had to miss it the pass few weeks (and I never get time to catch up on the dvr)...  But last night the 3 truckers had to stay at the "hotel"/shelter (more what I would call it) as it was raining (snowing in the mountains) and the roads were impassible.  They finally ventured out and they got to a place where there were landslides, and the village people where clearing it away.  While they waited - more landslides happened right on top of them.  They then get through, and note - roads where muddy/slippery, and washed out with water flowing over them in some areas - to get to the higher elevation and learn the roads were impassible because of snow...  SO they had to go through it all again to go back to shelter/hotel.  FREEKIN CRAZY. 

The 2 men ganged up on the "green bus" driver, who keeps passing them crazily and banging them up, and another driver who recklessly passed them on the treacherous road. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/10 at 9:44 pm

If I had to drive on those mountains, I wouldn't take my eyes off the road to talk to the camera!

Written By: Howard on 11/16/10 at 6:36 am

If I had to drive on those mountains, I wouldn't take my eyes off the road to talk to the camera!

you'd fall off a cliff.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...