inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vaican OKs The Simpsons-Declares them Catholics

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/10 at 7:38 am

I don't know what to think of this

www1.whdh.com/news/articles/bizarre/12002518522731/vatican-declares-simpsons-catholic/

Subject: Re: Vaican OKs The Simpsons-Declares them Catholics

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/19/10 at 9:25 am

www1.whdh.com/news/articles/bizarre/12002518522731/vatican-declares-simpsons-catholic/

Here you go, Danoota!

What does the Vatican think of Beavis and Buthhead?

;D

Written By: Howard on 10/19/10 at 2:03 pm

Here you go, Danoota!

;D

Why would the Vatican give 2 s h i t s about Beavis And Butthead,he doesn't watch it,he has more important things to do. ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/19/10 at 2:31 pm

Why would the Vatican give 2 s h i t s about Beavis And Butthead,he doesn't watch it,he has more important things to do. ::)

Good point.

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/10 at 2:32 pm

I thought the Simpsons were Episcopalian.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/10 at 2:33 pm

;D

My guess?  An abject lesson in the consequences of broken families.  One of the salient points in B&B is you never saw their parents.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/10 at 2:42 pm

Good point.

;D

They would probably call him Poop John Pool  ;D

Written By: Frank on 10/19/10 at 11:02 pm

They attend the same church as the Flanders, I believe they are protestants, not Catholics.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/10 at 12:25 am

They attend the same church as the Flanders, I believe they are protestants, not Catholics.

Ah, Flanders seemed like a devout Baptist -- a mellow one -- not some screaming Pentecostal from Loozeyanna!  The Simpsons, on the other hand, seemed like Episcopalians (perhaps Congregationalists) who just sorta went to church because that's what you did on Sunday.  Ned would say grace over a Big Mac whereas Homer thinks of stuffing his face!  It's not much of a match up for the same church.  Of course, characters on The Simpsons represented familiar figures in American society at large -- stereotypes, if you will.  So you can't take the satirical representation as literal. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/notworthy.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/10 at 6:49 am

The creators said that they are Presbyterian/Lutheran mix.  Matt Groening was raised Lutheran.  What the difference between Presbyterian and Lutheran is I don't know. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/10 at 12:58 am

The creators said that they are Presbyterian/Lutheran mix.  Matt Groening was raised Lutheran.  What the difference between Presbyterian and Lutheran is I don't know. 

Martin Luther predated John Calvin -- who was also a barrel of monkeys I tell you what.  Presbyterianism is a little like Lutheranism but with John Calvin thrown in and a poker up its ass!
8)

The important thing is they were Protestant.  No pope in Rome.  As for the presbytery, the suffix presby- indicates "elderly".

Check for new replies or respond here...