inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Another Security Breach At Facebook

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/10 at 11:31 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11565948

It seems that they have a lot of security breaches-too many if you ask me. Use it at your own risk.

Cat

Subject: Re: Another Security Breach At Facebook

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/10 at 1:03 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11565948

It seems that they have a lot of security breaches-too many if you ask me. Use it at your own risk.

Cat

Here's the important line in the article:

Most Facebook apps are the work of independent software companies, not Facebook itself.

I know this so I'm fairly selective about what apps I use and don't use. Some people use them all and they should be aware that they're opening themselves up to stuff.

I stand behind my orginal position Cat. Facebook is fun place. you control the information you put out there. 

-you don't have to tell people where you live or when and where you are going on vacation so your house can be broken into... but some people are stupid enough to do so. 

-you don't have to put pics up of you getting shytfaced drunk and stripping at the bar.... but some people do...

you put the info you want out there and you control who sees it. and as long if you set yourself to the highest security rating....meaning only people you want to see you can see your name and stuff  and you stay away from the apps then  you have nothing to worry about...

and you my friend could get a facebook profile in the name of Catwomanofv.... never use your real name, never put anything personal and more people would see your pics than they do on that picture website that I just blanked on... I have a profile there too but I almust never use it... not shutterfly, not photobucket... oh yeah... flickr.....    more people would see your pics... and comment on your pics if you had a facebook page... I'm just saying.....

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/21/10 at 9:41 pm

It seems that they have a lot of security breaches

"Security breach" implies that a mistake was made, that something didn't work as planned.  

But this - like the others - is not a mistake.  It's not even a design flaw, because FB and other social networking sites are designed for this purpose.  The aggregate behavior of users on a social network wouldn't be worth a cent to advertisers if it wasn't.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/22/10 at 2:10 pm

Yeah, my problem is that I get TOO many people who think THEY know me, but I don't know who the fudge they are. :(

Facebook to me is a blessing...and a curse. You can find people who you know and such, but then again...they can dump you or you can dump them as a friend. (I saw a good comic where someone asks someone "Hey, why did you remove me from your friends")?

But the bigger curse is...you get unknowns that know you....I may just dump Facebook for that reason....

Check for new replies or respond here...