inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Runway opens at world's first spaceport

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/10 at 4:42 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49627000/jpg/_49627303_010476285-1.jpg

Commercial space travel took a step closer with the opening of the runway at the world's first spaceport in the US state of New Mexico.

The event was marked with a flypast of an aircraft carrying SpaceShip Two.

The vehicle has been designed to take fee-paying tourists on trips to the edge of space and back.

British billionaire Sir Richard Branson - whose Virgin group has backed the venture - said the first passenger trip should take place within 18 months.

The opening of the nearly two-mile (three-kilometre) runway comes less than two weeks after another major step for Sir Richard's Virgin Galactic company: the first solo glide flight of SpaceShip Two.

"Today is very personal as our dream becomes more real," Sir Richard said.

"People are beginning to believe now. I think the drop flight two weeks ago, which went beautifully, I think it made people sit up and realize this is really reality."

More than 300 people have already paid at least $200,000 (£128,000) each for a three-hour flight.

Virgin Galactic's White Knight Two - the jet-powered mothership that will carry SpaceShip Two to launch altitude - appeared at Friday's ceremony at Spaceport America near the Mexican border.

The craft, carrying SpaceShip Two, passed over the spaceport several times before landing on the new runway.

Subject: Re: Runway opens at world's first spaceport

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/10 at 5:32 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49627000/jpg/_49627303_010476285-1.jpg

Commercial space travel took a step closer with the opening of the runway at the world's first spaceport in the US state of New Mexico.

The event was marked with a flypast of an aircraft carrying SpaceShip Two.

The vehicle has been designed to take fee-paying tourists on trips to the edge of space and back.

British billionaire Sir Richard Branson - whose Virgin group has backed the venture - said the first passenger trip should take place within 18 months.

The opening of the nearly two-mile (three-kilometre) runway comes less than two weeks after another major step for Sir Richard's Virgin Galactic company: the first solo glide flight of SpaceShip Two.

"Today is very personal as our dream becomes more real," Sir Richard said.

"People are beginning to believe now. I think the drop flight two weeks ago, which went beautifully, I think it made people sit up and realize this is really reality."

More than 300 people have already paid at least $200,000 (£128,000) each for a three-hour flight.

Virgin Galactic's White Knight Two - the jet-powered mothership that will carry SpaceShip Two to launch altitude - appeared at Friday's ceremony at Spaceport America near the Mexican border.

The craft, carrying SpaceShip Two, passed over the spaceport several times before landing on the new runway.

Cool!  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/10 at 12:55 pm

Gimme 200 grand and 3 hours and I could get bigger thrills without even leaving the ground!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/23/10 at 9:19 pm

Gimme 200 grand and 3 hours and I could get bigger thrills without even leaving the ground!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

Gimme $1M.  Instead of two chicks at once, I'll drop $200K on a flight tomorrow, and still have $800K left over for when I get back home.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/10 at 12:58 am

Gimme $1M.  Instead of two chicks at once, I'll drop $200K on a flight tomorrow, and still have $800K left over for when I get back home.

Gimme a ride to the airport?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/24/10 at 10:51 pm

Gimme a ride to the airport? ???

OK, that's it!  Inthe00s party at Spaceport America!

(I figure by 2020 we'll all have our respective schedules straightened out, which gives me the rest of the decade to come up with the cash :)

Check for new replies or respond here...