inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shows about really working people!

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/25/10 at 6:30 am

I have become addicted to the shows about ordinary people (or extraordinary) here in the united states, and how they work and make a living!  It started with Dirty Jobs, then Ice Road Truckers, a little later Swamp loggers.  Now we have Swamp People, axe men....  I amloving all of these shows. Anyone have any thoughts?  Do they bring fame or folly?

Subject: Re: Shows about really working people!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/10 at 11:59 am

I've always liked the Deadliest Catch.

Can Ghost Hunters be included in that? That IS their job. (Well, not their day job. lol)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/25/10 at 12:02 pm

I don't watch them. I wonder about the validity of some of those shows.

For example cops shows you the chases and the fights and the stupid criminals but they edit out the hours of driving around where nothing happens and never show how many hours a cop sits in the station writing reports.

I watched a couple eps of a show about a family of repossessers. There was one ep where the guys went on a property and a dude started shooting.  The guys left the camera man behind to film the shooter chasing their suv off the property.  ::)

No way that happened. Am I to believe that the shooter let camera film him firing a gun at people ( a felony in California) and then he signed the release form to have his face shown on tv? 

Now if they called it a recreation from a previous incident I'd be more inclined to believe it

I saw a clip of swamp people on the soup. It doesn't look like it's gonna do anything to advance our opinion of that "type" of person.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/10 at 12:53 pm

The old Marxist in me says we should celebrate the working man and woman...but let's face it, most jobs are not interesting enough to make a TV series. 

"Ax Men" is a perfect example.  A well-made documentary about lumberjacks (I know, I know, Monty Python, right) would be interesting, but let's not try and make a soap opera out of it! 

What's next? 

Isaac Rosenberg: Insurance Claims Adjuster

:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/25/10 at 6:07 pm

The old Marxist in me says we should celebrate the working man and woman...but let's face it, most jobs are not interesting enough to make a TV series.  

"Ax Men" is a perfect example.  A well-made documentary about lumberjacks (I know, I know, Monty Python, right) would be interesting, but let's not try and make a soap opera out of it!  

What's next?  

You just know you caused this thread to take a turn for the worse, didn't you?  :o :o :o

Which is always fun, of course!

"Coming up on the History Channel, after Isaac Rosenberg: Insurance Claims Adjuster is Pocatello Porta-Potty Suckers!, followed by Bismarck Vice.  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/25/10 at 7:45 pm

You just know you caused this thread to take a turn for the worse, didn't you?  :o :o :o

Which is always fun, of course!

"Coming up on the History Channel, after Isaac Rosenberg: Insurance Claims Adjuster is Pocatello Porta-Potty Suckers!, followed by Bismarck Vice.  :D
No one mentioned the Hiller Rendering Services ....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/10 at 8:13 pm

No one mentioned the Hiller Rendering Services ....

Followed by Joel Goldstein: Attorney At Law!

;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/25/10 at 9:16 pm

Over on the Discovery Channel tonight we have Culligan Men of Beverly Hills, followed by Last Certified Public Accountant Standing and 3.5 Gallon Pirates: The Secret World of Canadian Toilet Smugglers.  :o :o :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/10 at 9:35 pm

Followed by Joel Goldstein: Attorney At Law!

;D

Sometimes Joel Goldstein works with Issac Rosenberg on probate cases, so you get good crossover episodes!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/25/10 at 10:33 pm

A well-made documentary about lumberjacks (I know, I know, Monty Python, right) would be interesting, but let's not try and make a soap opera out of it! 

Well, of course.  What do lumberjacks have to do with it?

What's next?  
Isaac Rosenberg: Insurance Claims Adjuster :D

Now you're talking!

http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/crimson-permanent-assurance/thumbnails/01-title.jpg

It's fun to charter an accountant
And sail the wide accountancy,
To find, explore the funds offshore
And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy!

http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/crimson-permanent-assurance/thumbnails/12-building-sky.jpg

It can be manly in insurance.
We'll up your premium semi-annually.
It's all tax deductible.
We're fairly incorruptible,
We're sailing on the wide accountancy! (Why yes, there's video!)

http://arago4.tnw.utwente.nl/stonedead/movies/crimson-permanent-assurance/thumbnails/47-sailing-off.jpg

It wasn't Wall Street that did it to me, it was the Crimson Permanent Assurance Company that made me what I am today!

Written By: Howard on 10/26/10 at 6:41 am

Look at Pathmark,that's a show about really working people. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/26/10 at 6:46 am

I am not sure if a show about lawyers is "REAL WORKING PEOPLE"  -

Blue Collar jobs, those that our world could not function properly without...  The Sanitation Workers, the Truckers, the Public Works, the Leather Tanners, Cannery, welders, etc.....  Not the jobs that our world could use a few less of  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/10 at 10:56 am

In a television series, viewers want a story line and character development.  The History Channel tried to do this with "Ice Road Truckers."  I remarked it became a gay soap opera (NTTAWT). 
8)

IRT did add a young female truck driver to the cast.  I have my doubts about whether the pretty young gal really is a big rig driver on the North Slope, but you never know!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/10 at 11:08 am

"Ax Men" is about lumberjacks.  As soon as you mention lumberjacks, some Monty Python geek* starts singing the lumberjack song, "Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day..." etc.  

Anyway, thanks for posting "The Crimson Permanent Assurance"!
;D

* I'm a Monty Python fan, not a Monty Python geek.  There's a difference.  The Monty Python fan goes to the screening of "The Holy Grail" to see "The Holy Grail."  The Monty Python geek goes to the screening of "The Holy Grail" disguised as Tim the Enchanter, re-enacts scenes with the other geeks outside the cinema, and (mis)quotes lines from the script in the auditorium, which is annoying to the Monty Python fans.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/viking.gif

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/26/10 at 5:41 pm

In a television series, viewers want a story line and character development.  The History Channel tried to do this with "Ice Road Truckers."  I remarked it became a gay soap opera (NTTAWT). 
8)

IRT did add a young female truck driver to the cast.  I have my doubts about whether the pretty young gal really is a big rig driver on the North Slope, but you never know!
She is driving the truck on IRT deadliest roads

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/27/10 at 9:13 pm

* I'm a Monty Python fan, not a Monty Python geek.

"Well tonight / we are going / to sort - it - all - out..."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/10 at 10:00 pm

"Well tonight / we are going / to sort - it - all - out..."

Is there heaven and hell?  Do we reincarnate?

Uh-oh, I took the bait.  I'm busted!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad11.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/27/10 at 10:20 pm

Is there heaven and hell?  Do we reincarnate?

Is Maxwell evolving--

Uh-oh, I took the bait.  I'm busted! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad11.gif

--No, it is too late!

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/28/10 at 7:48 am

II watched a couple eps of a show about a family of repossessers. There was one ep where the guys went on a property and a dude started shooting.  The guys left the camera man behind to film the shooter chasing their suv off the property.  ::)

No way that happened. Am I to believe that the shooter let camera film him firing a gun at people ( a felony in California) and then he signed the release form to have his face shown on tv? 

Now if they called it a recreation from a previous incident I'd be more inclined to believe it.

Are you talking about Operation Repo on Tru TV?  If so, there is a disclaimer at the beginning that says "The stories that are portrayed in this program are based on real events. The names of the characters were changed in order to protect their identities . . . and some honor."  So, basically they're re-enactments.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/10 at 4:40 pm

Are you talking about Operation Repo on Tru TV?  If so, there is a disclaimer at the beginning that says "The stories that are portrayed in this program are based on real events. The names of the characters were changed in order to protect their identities . . . and some honor."  So, basically they're re-enactments.   ::)

I'm not sure if that was the show or not... I came in the middle of the ep so I never saw the disclaimer. My friend apparently neglected to read it because she thought that the incident was actually happening at the time of filming.  ::)

if that is the case tho then some of their re-enactments are pretty good because a couple of them I saw looked like actual Repos in progress.  But I knew there was no way that particular one she showed me was...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/31/10 at 6:13 pm

"Ax Men" is a perfect example.  A well-made documentary about lumberjacks (I know, I know, Monty Python, right) would be interesting, but let's not try and make a soap opera out of it! 

What's next? 

;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/31/10 at 6:16 pm

8)

Why do you have your doubts that a pretty young gal is really a big rig driver?

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/31/10 at 8:00 pm

I was curious about this as well  8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/31/10 at 9:34 pm

I like Undercover boss, although it does seem weird that nobody questions a film crew there..  :-X :-X

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/10 at 10:45 pm

I like Undercover boss, although it does seem weird that nobody questions a film crew there..   :-X :-X

that's because the workers are told that the person under cover is participating in a reality show about out of work people competing for a job with the company.

The one they did last week (NASCAR) the workers were told he was a NASCAR fan who won a dream week to work and experience behind the scenes at NASCAR...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/10 at 12:05 am

The North Slope is a dangerous place, especially for pretty, young women!
:o

Written By: Howard on 11/01/10 at 6:55 am

The North Slope is a dangerous place, especially for pretty, young women!
:o

They don't want to mess up their pretty faces. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/10 at 9:11 am

They don't want to mess up their pretty faces. ::)

I'm not saying women couldn't or shouldn't drive big rigs or drive big rigs on the North Slope, nor am I pushing a stereotype of truck drivin' mamas as scary bulldykes. 

The thing is, it took a few seasons for a female trucker to appear on IRT and the one they got looked like an actress-model from Hollywood.  Questionable veracity.  I could certainly be wrong too.

I have long been fascinated with goings-on in far northern latitudes.  The accounts of the northern culture I read in decades before IRT was a brutal male chauvinist world in the trucking and mineral extraction industries of Alaska and Northern Canada.  Women were welcome as flight attendants, waitresses, medical personnel, and above all, hookers, but certainly not truck drivers, miners, or rig workers. 

Reality television is an oxymoron.  Things change when the cameras show up.  The producers of IRT needed to make the trucking community a palatable cast for the viewing public.  Thus, they had to temper the nasty aspects of the boreal trucking life.

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/05/11 at 9:52 am

My husband is addicted to swamp people and some wild hog hunters show - THese people are crazy.  IRT is coming back on too 8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/11 at 1:58 pm

I'm not saying women couldn't or shouldn't drive big rigs or drive big rigs on the North Slope, nor am I pushing a stereotype of truck drivin' mamas as scary bulldykes. 

The thing is, it took a few seasons for a female trucker to appear on IRT and the one they got looked like an actress-model from Hollywood.  Questionable veracity.  I could certainly be wrong too.

I have long been fascinated with goings-on in far northern latitudes.  The accounts of the northern culture I read in decades before IRT was a brutal male chauvinist world in the trucking and mineral extraction industries of Alaska and Northern Canada.  Women were welcome as flight attendants, waitresses, medical personnel, and above all, hookers, but certainly not truck drivers, miners, or rig workers. 

Reality television is an oxymoron.  Things change when the cameras show up.  The producers of IRT needed to make the trucking community a palatable cast for the viewing public.  Thus, they had to temper the nasty aspects of the boreal trucking life.

Every good reality show also has a flaming, flamboyant-style gay dude.  Do they have one on IRT yet? ???  (I have never watched IRT as I work for a trucking company alreadyt and, no, we don't have any flamers working at our place although there are likely a couple of gay dudes who keep a low key.).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/05/11 at 2:46 pm

When my dad worked for a coal mining company, he would come home with stories of what the guys would do to one another as jokes.  Horrible!  For awhile, there was a woman coal miner, but at the very least they would do, is watch her while she showered.  I'm sure other stuff happened that was never mentioned by my dad.  She wasn't there very long (as I recall). 
I'm not saying couldn't or shouldn't do traditionally male-oriented jobs, I'm just saying the environment could be so hostile that it isn't worth it to try to break through the gender stereotype.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/11 at 7:01 pm

I often watch 'All Worked Up', a show that follows several people on the job:  Process server, repo men. meter maid, security at Ring of Honor Wrestling and a code enforcer.

The Repo guys are the best.  This episode was quite scary ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0cG26_aS9E

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/05/11 at 8:02 pm

I often watch 'All Worked Up', a show that follows several people on the job:  Process server, repo men. meter maid, security at Ring of Honor Wrestling and a code enforcer.

The Repo guys are the best.  This episode was quite scary ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0cG26_aS9E
Have you watched the show "Repo men" yet???? That show is incredible as well!

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/11 at 8:18 pm

Have you watched the show "Repo men" yet???? That show is incredible as well!

I have yes.  It is good

Written By: Howard on 06/06/11 at 6:49 am

I have entered the permanent underclass.  I've fallen and I can't get up.  Hand me a video camera and a couple of mics, and I'll make the move that could Michael Moore wanna blow his own head off!  only you could see what I have seen with your eyes!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

What kind of video would it be? ???

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/06/11 at 6:57 am

I have entered the permanent underclass.  I've fallen and I can't get up.  Hand me a video camera and a couple of mics, and I'll make the move that could Michael Moore wanna blow his own head off!  only you could see what I have seen with your eyes!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif
I am sorry you mock it. 

I really admire these shows.  Not only do they show us cultures in the United States that most of us know little about, in my opinion they Honor the working class.  Something that needs to be done in this country.  We can live as well as we do today without garbage men, sewer people, rodent control, farmers, plumbers, truckers, or any of the numerous other blue collar jobs out there.  Too often kids are told to go to college and get a degree.  Well our country has a overwhelming shortage of Skilled trades people.  We need people to fill these jobs, or our country is going to have nothing left here to export.  Point blank.  But I am a CTE teacher, and my father was a truck driver, so I guess I am partial to this way of thinking. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/11 at 4:45 pm

I am sorry you mock it. 

I really admire these shows.  Not only do they show us cultures in the United States that most of us know little about, in my opinion they Honor the working class.  Something that needs to be done in this country.  We can live as well as we do today without garbage men, sewer people, rodent control, farmers, plumbers, truckers, or any of the numerous other blue collar jobs out there.  Too often kids are told to go to college and get a degree.  Well our country has a overwhelming shortage of Skilled trades people.  We need people to fill these jobs, or our country is going to have nothing left here to export.  Point blank.  But I am a CTE teacher, and my father was a truck driver, so I guess I am partial to this way of thinking. 

Sigh.  Remarks withdrawn.
::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/08/11 at 12:09 am

AND what is it 4 or 5 seasons later, I am still engrossed in Deadliest Catch 8)

Written By: karen on 06/08/11 at 11:01 am

There are quite a few of these types of shows on in the UK.  We have our own version of Undercover Boss (in fact it first started as Back to the Floor about 5 years ago) and there are at least two programmes following street cleaners/rat catchers and the like - one I know is called Grimefighters.  I have also watched programmes following police officers, air sea rescue and Eddie Stobart truckers

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/08/11 at 5:21 pm

The one I really like is Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_xOQhDZig

Written By: Dagwood on 06/08/11 at 5:44 pm

The one I really like is Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_xOQhDZig

Love Dirty Jobs. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/08/11 at 6:06 pm

Also like Holmes on Holmes which is a quite scary program showcasing hundreds of homes that got taken by the professional contractors they hired to fix their home problems and/or did shoddy work/took unsafe shortcuts and left the homes in worse shape then started in.  The show's premise is that they come in and fix the stuff.
Of course, not sure if I like it because the problems get fixed... or maybe because of the host, Mike Holmes  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hearts.gif
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thesouthern.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/68/c39/b68c39e6-8f77-11df-84ad-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4c3e055a1ab84.image.jpg

Written By: karen on 06/08/11 at 6:08 pm

There is a similar show in the UK called Cowboy Builders.  In this show they also go after the builders who did the shoddy work and try and get them taken to court.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/08/11 at 6:12 pm

There is a similar show in the UK called Cowboy Builders.  In this show they also go after the builders who did the shoddy work and try and get them taken to court.

They might advise them to do that behind the scenes of this program, but it isn't really discussed on camera.  I always wondered just how much money the clients had to put up in addition to what they already lost... or if they have a budget to work with and that's that. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/08/11 at 9:11 pm

Who doesn't!  I have season 1, 2 and 4 on DVD - season 3 is on iTunes 8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/08/11 at 9:12 pm

Also like Holmes on Holmes which is a quite scary program showcasing hundreds of homes that got taken by the professional contractors they hired to fix their home problems and/or did shoddy work/took unsafe shortcuts and left the homes in worse shape then started in.  The show's premise is that they come in and fix the stuff.
Of course, not sure if I like it because the problems get fixed... or maybe because of the host, Mike Holmes  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hearts.gif
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/thesouthern.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/68/c39/b68c39e6-8f77-11df-84ad-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4c3e055a1ab84.image.jpg
This man is one hot contractor!  One that I wouldn't mind showing a little crack 8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/11 at 10:34 pm

I had no idea Holmes on Homes aired outside of Canada.  It really is a good show. 

He is also a judge on another Canadian series called 'Handyman Superstar Challenge', where people vie to be the best handyman.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/11 at 9:05 am

We watch that all the time and Holmes Inspection.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/09/11 at 9:56 am

I had no idea Holmes on Homes aired outside of Canada.  It really is a good show. 

He is also a judge on another Canadian series called 'Handyman Superstar Challenge', where people vie to be the best handyman.
I have watched that show too!  He is brutal on the Handymen who do "shoddy work" on the show - I LOVE IT

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/11 at 7:08 pm

I like playing a drinking game-every time Mike Holmes says "Eh?" I take a drink.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/15/11 at 11:24 am

OK - Swamp Brothers is not a show I am enjoying... 

Ice road truckers is back though

Check for new replies or respond here...