inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music transitioning from electropop to full on techno dance

Written By: Emman on 11/15/10 at 1:57 am

It seems that in late 2010, alot of music seems to be moving from the electropop sound to a more "pure dance/euro-techno sound", it is in a very subtle way though. Some of the electropop that was popular in 2008 and 2009 still had alot of urban elements, but for the music in 2010, there seems to be a cleansing of the urban elements, moving toward a more eurocentric techno sound. Also the electropop sound is influenced by the 80's while the techno dance music that is getting popular now seems vaguely 90's eurodance-ish, so this could also be the very beginning of 90's nostalgia.

Subject: Re: Music transitioning from electropop to full on techno dance

Written By: Shiv on 11/15/10 at 8:32 am

Yeah the euro influence is very apparent in "Only Girl in the World" by Rhianna.

The gradual move away from Urban is part of the transition from the 00s sound to the 10s sound.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/15/10 at 12:02 pm

I was looking back at the charts from Spring 2009 and it was actually a bit more urban looking on the charts. Right now there's only really one song that's an urban hit in the top 10 (Bottoms Up). Also 2009 post grunge was still kind of there in 2009 with Shinedown's hit, now it's generally off the charts or on the lower reaches.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/10 at 1:17 pm

Today's music seems more like it comes from an electronic piano keyboard.

Written By: Emman on 11/15/10 at 1:25 pm

Today's music seems more like it comes from an electronic piano keyboard.

You mean synthezisers and computer based software.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/10 at 1:28 pm

You mean synthezisers and computer based software.

Sorry I mean that,I'm living too much in the 1980's,I'm still retro.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/15/10 at 2:45 pm

I like the transition we are making now.

To be honest I'm glad the urban sound is fading. It wasn't my taste.

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/10 at 7:10 pm

There has been more dance music in the charts lately than there has been since the 90's

The biggest dance track this year has to be 'Stereo Love' by Edward Maya.  Not only did it enter the US Hot 100 (where it's currently rising up the Top 50), it reached the Top 20 in Canada twice with two different singers

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/15/10 at 7:48 pm

I like the transition we are making now.

To be honest I'm glad the urban sound is fading. It wasn't my taste.

What is the urban sound? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 11/15/10 at 8:24 pm

Something I made up.  ;D

Written By: Shiv on 11/15/10 at 9:45 pm

Hip hop beats, rapping, samples, etc.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/16/10 at 12:02 am

There has been more dance music in the charts lately than there has been since the 90's

The biggest dance track this year has to be 'Stereo Love' by Edward Maya.  Not only did it enter the US Hot 100 (where it's currently rising up the Top 50), it reached the Top 20 in Canada twice with two different singers

I know I've been hearing it on the radio here. Hopefully pop artists using more electro elements in their music will get more dance music like this on our charts.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/10 at 6:34 am

I WANT DISCO/FUNK BACK!!!  >:(

:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/10 at 4:36 pm

I think it refers to Negro music, Ed!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/farmerjohn.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/10 at 4:43 pm

You mean synthesizers and computer based software.

I always say: Good music is good music whether you're using computers or a couple of spoons and a hollow log!

Call it Disco, Techno, Electro, or whatever, that thump-thump-thump four-to-the-floor beat has enduring appeal.  The problem is, most of it just isn't very good -- but some of it is excellent from Kraftwerk to Juan Atkins, from New Order to Jeff Mills, and so and so on!
:)

Written By: tv on 11/16/10 at 5:49 pm

The 2003-early 2006 and 2007-mid 2008 era I think "80's fan" is referring to. There was urban music in the 90's to but it was smooth R&B that was dominant in mostly like the 1989-1996-1997/1998 era.

Written By: Shiv on 11/16/10 at 9:42 pm

The urban influence in top 40 pop has definitely declined over the past two years or so, ESPECIALLY in 2010.

Nowadays it seems the only way for rappers to get mainstream airplay is to throw a verse onto a dance song.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/16/10 at 9:48 pm

I think snap music (the D4L, Yung Joc, Soulja Boy junk) killed hip-hop in the mid to late '00s, that trash just killed the genre for a lot of people. I don't hate too much music but that stuff SUCKS big time.

Written By: Creeder on 11/18/10 at 5:32 am

Electronic music sucks ass, I hate where modern music has moved. Bring back the electronic free 80s!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/18/10 at 6:28 am

Electronic music sucks ass, I hate where modern music has moved. Bring back the electronic free 80s!!!

You got that right!

Written By: tv on 11/18/10 at 9:08 am

Um 80's music was pretty synthisized. I mean some of the Hair Metal Music was overproduced.

Written By: tv on 11/18/10 at 9:13 am

The urban influence in top 40 pop has definitely declined over the past two years or so, ESPECIALLY in 2010.

Nowadays it seems the only way for rappers to get mainstream airplay is to throw a verse onto a dance song.
Well there is still rap that has been near the top of the charts recently like Drake, B.O.B, Bruno Mars, and Eminem.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/10 at 2:57 pm

Um 80's music was pretty synthisized. I mean some of the Hair Metal Music was overproduced.

I was gonna say...Depeche Mode anybody?

My favorite bands in 1984:

Depeche Mode
Yazoo
A Flock Of Seagulls
Human League
Heaven 17
Eurythmics
New Order
Tears for Fears
Psychedelic Furs*
OMD
Kraftwerk
The Cars
Gary Numan
Howard Jones
Men Without Hats
Devo
Talking Heads

I liked them especially because they used synths in their music.  Of course, rock critics hated synthesizer rock music because it dared put anything ahead of the venerated electric guitar.  If they did praise it, they only saw it as a good gimmick.  It couldn't be real rock 'n' roll unless it sounded like something out of Woodstock or punk rock, such as Sex Pistols, Ramones, or The Clash.  Prog rock bands used synths in the seventies, but synthesizers didn't REALLY break big in Top 40 until Disco -- and you know the knee-jerk exclamation: Disco Sucks!

Bob Dylan said synth pop had no soul.  It doesn't.  You have to bring your own.  Do you have any?

It also depends on what you mean when you say "electronic music."  Keyboard synthesizer music is only one of many kinds and synth-pop is still only one kind of keyboard synthesizer music.  Electronic music started out in academic and scientific institutions because the equipment was extremely expensive and complicated.  Milton Babbitt, Pauline Oliveros, James Tenney Alvin Lucier, Max Mathews, W. Carlos, Robert Moog, and the like were all at once musicians, composers, and engineers.  It wasn't until synths such as the Mini-Moog got cheap enough and facile enough for pop groups to use that electronic music picked up steam in pop music.

*P. Furs started out as post-punk using guitars, drums, and saxophones.  Synths didn't become a major part of their music until the "Forever Now" album, produced by Todd Rundgren (1982)

Written By: Emman on 11/18/10 at 3:20 pm

Oh boy, have you ever heard of synthpop, that statement seems like an oxymoron. Most mainstream 80's pop WAS ELECTRONIC MUSIC!!! :P

Written By: bchris02 on 11/18/10 at 6:19 pm

I think snap music (the D4L, Yung Joc, Soulja Boy junk) killed hip-hop in the mid to late '00s, that trash just killed the genre for a lot of people. I don't hate too much music but that stuff SUCKS big time.

Just think, in 10-20 years snap rap will be nostalgic like disco is today.  People forget there was a HUGE backlash against disco in the early 1980s like we are beginning to see against hip-hop this decade.  1980s pop incorporated elements of disco just like today's dance pop is incorporating urban elements. 

I just wish VH1 would have waited until at least 2015 to make its "I Love the New Millennium" nostalgia series instead of doing it before the decade was even over.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/10 at 7:24 pm

Depeche Mode
Yazoo
A Flock Of Seagulls
Human League
Heaven 17
Eurythmics
New Order
Tears for Fears
Psychedelic Furs*
OMD
Kraftwerk
The Cars
Gary Numan
Howard Jones
Men Without Hats
Devo
Talking Heads

All those groups made the 80's cool.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/10 at 7:31 pm

I was gonna say...Depeche Mode anybody?

My favorite bands in 1984:

Depeche Mode
Yazoo
A Flock Of Seagulls
Human League
Heaven 17
Eurythmics
New Order
Tears for Fears
Psychedelic Furs*
OMD
Kraftwerk
The Cars
Gary Numan
Howard Jones
Men Without Hats
Devo
Talking Heads

I liked them especially because they used synths in their music.  Of course, rock critics hated synthesizer rock music because it dared put anything ahead of the venerated electric guitar.  If they did praise it, they only saw it as a good gimmick.  It couldn't be real rock 'n' roll unless it sounded like something out of Woodstock or punk rock, such as Sex Pistols, Ramones, or The Clash.  Prog rock bands used synths in the seventies, but synthesizers didn't REALLY break big in Top 40 until Disco -- and you know the knee-jerk exclamation: Disco Sucks!

Bob Dylan said synth pop had no soul.  It doesn't.  You have to bring your own.  Do you have any?

It also depends on what you mean when you say "electronic music."  Keyboard synthesizer music is only one of many kinds and synth-pop is still only one kind of keyboard synthesizer music.  Electronic music started out in academic and scientific institutions because the equipment was extremely expensive and complicated.  Milton Babbitt, Pauline Oliveros, James Tenney Alvin Lucier, Max Mathews, W. Carlos, Robert Moog, and the like were all at once musicians, composers, and engineers.  It wasn't until synths such as the Mini-Moog got cheap enough and facile enough for pop groups to use that electronic music picked up steam in pop music.

*P. Furs started out as post-punk using guitars, drums, and saxophones.  Synths didn't become a major part of their music until the "Forever Now" album, produced by Todd Rundgren (1982)

People are people so why should it be? You and I should get along so awfully!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/10 at 10:40 pm

People are people so why should it be? You and I should get along so awfully!  ;D

Okay, not one of Mr. Gore's better lyrics!
:-[

Written By: Howard on 11/19/10 at 5:37 am

I'm old school and I'm enjoying the days of when music was computer robot synthesized.

Written By: Creeder on 11/19/10 at 5:46 am

Oh boy, have you ever heard of synthpop, that statement seems like an oxymoron. Most mainstream 80's pop WAS ELECTRONIC MUSIC!!! :P

Yeah, in the 80s there was synthpop and rock with synthesizers in it (like Bon Jovi), but it sounded great and I love it! I'm not a synth hater! But modern electronic music is just pointless eurodisco beats (the new Black Eyed Peas song "Dirty beat") which, for me, is just junk. Maybe because I live in Europe and I'm sick of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/10 at 9:00 am

Yeah, in the 80s there was synthpop and rock with synthesizers in it (like Bon Jovi), but it sounded great and I love it! I'm not a synth hater! But modern electronic music is just pointless eurodisco beats (the new Black Eyed Peas song "Dirty beat") which, for me, is just junk. Maybe because I live in Europe and I'm sick of it.

Certainly, a great deal of electronic pop is garbage.  It's not the means, it's the music itself.  I had the same complaint about the saturation of homogeneous college rock music in the past thirty years.  Guitar rock starting in the '80s with great bands such as The Smiths, R.E.M., The Replacements, Nirvana, and the Violent Femmes have been imitated over and over and over again ad nauseam.  Same thing happened with electronic dance pop.
::)

Written By: Starde on 11/19/10 at 7:41 pm

I just wish VH1 would have waited until at least 2015 to make its "I Love the New Millennium" nostalgia series instead of doing it before the decade was even over.

I know right?!?! So freakin' stupid! ::) When I watched it when it first came out, I was like "How the hell can I be nostalgic about a year that ended 6 months ago?!" It made no sense!

Written By: Howard on 11/20/10 at 5:49 am

I know right?!?! So freakin' stupid! ::) When I watched it when it first came out, I was like "How the hell can I be nostalgic about a year that ended 6 months ago?!" It made no sense!

They need to get it straight.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/20/10 at 7:05 am

I watched the first few episodes, mainly '00-'03 because in 2008...yeah I can see being a little nostalgic for the early '00s especially as uncertain as our future was as a nation in 2008, but I lost interest by the '04 episode and quit watching it.

Written By: Starde on 11/21/10 at 1:46 am

I watched the first few episodes, mainly '00-'03 because in 2008...yeah I can see being a little nostalgic for the early '00s especially as uncertain as our future was as a nation in 2008, but I lost interest by the '04 episode and quit watching it.

Yeah, the only interesting episodes were mainly 2000-2003, maybe a little of 2004. Everything 2004/2005 onward felt way to recent to get nostalgic over. Honestly, VH1 should've waited 'til the 2000s were actually over before doing a nostalgia show about it. ::)

Written By: Creeder on 11/21/10 at 2:23 am

They will just have to remake it in the middle of 2010s.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 6:35 am

Why can't it transition from funk to disco?

Written By: Shiv on 11/21/10 at 2:14 pm

2000s nostalgia wont be around until probably 2025 or something. The 2000s were hated while they were going on!!!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/21/10 at 2:37 pm

Why can't it transition from funk to disco?

Don't we all wish disco was still 'stayin' alive'?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/21/10 at 2:38 pm

2000s nostalgia wont be around until probably 2025 or something. The 2000s were hated while they were going on!!!

It's 2010 and I think most people still hate it.  :-\\

Written By: Emman on 11/21/10 at 4:51 pm

I think this more euro style techno music will last through out most of the decade but there will probably be a new genre that will dominate mainstream music, maybe emerging in 2011. In this way the 2010's might be comparable to the 1990's when eurodance music was regularly played on top 40 but there was grunge, gangsta rap, R&B and teenpop that dominated the mainstream music scene, the 1990's actually started out with house music being very popular too.

Written By: tv on 11/21/10 at 5:22 pm

I think this more euro style techno music will last through out most of the decade but there will probably be a new genre that will dominate mainstream music, maybe emerging in 2011. In this way the 2010's might be comparable to the 1990's when eurodance music was regularly played on top 40 but there was grunge, gangsta rap, R&B and teenpop that dominated the mainstream music scene, the 1990's actually started out with house music being very popular too.
Yeah I was thinking about that yesterday because stuff like "C & C Music Factory", Black Box, Snap!, and Technotronic were big in 1990. Even songs by dance-pop singers were heavily house music back the to like "Vibeology" by Paula Abdul, "Just Another Dream" by Cathy Dennis. A pop-rapper like MC Hammer had house music influenced songs I mean "Here Comes The Hammer" and 2 Legit 2 Quit" were infuenced by House Music especially "2 Legit 2 Quit".

Yeah maybe this current Electro-pop trend will morph into some other dance trend sort of like early 90's House Music morphed into Euro-Dance.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/10 at 6:37 am

Don't we all wish disco was still 'stayin' alive'?  ;D

I'm still the jamminoldies and I still love my 80's.

Written By: Emman on 11/22/10 at 11:43 am

Yeah maybe this current Electro-pop trend will morph into some other dance trend sort of like early 90's House Music morphed into Euro-Dance.

I think electropop is already starting to morph into a more "pure" dance, eurohouse style. Most of the electropop of the late 00's still had obvious urban influences(Timbaland, Beyonce), so it is kind of a musical "bridge" between the 00's and the 10's(kind of like new jack swing was both an 80's and 90's trend, in fact, it lasted from 1987 to 1995/1996). The current euro style dance/house music(Rihanna's Only Girl In The World, David Guetta, Tiesto, Stereo Love)  is not really what I'd call electropop, although the lines are blurry with some artists/songs. I think more indie music is going to be popular in the 2010s too, maybe some new alternative rap genre. Electropop itself will likely be seen as the quintessential late 00's/ early 10's style in the future(peaking in popularity around 2009/2010).

Check for new replies or respond here...