inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think 2021 will be like?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/10 at 9:45 pm

For fun, I want to start a thread that asks what you guys think the popculture/politics/lifestyle/sports/technology/state of mind/economy/environment will be like 11 years from now?

I think we would have gotten out of the recession by then.
A minnie war in Iran.
Britney Spears will grow 2 more arms to take care of her 11 kids (2 that she has in 2010 and her 9 new ones) in Lousianna. Will be the new 'Octomom'.  ;D

So....what do you guys think things will be like in 2021?

Subject: Re: What do you think 2021 will be like?

Written By: Shiv on 11/17/10 at 10:34 pm

Probably really different from now. I mean, the 1900s and 1910s were basically a continuation of the 1800s. The 20th cenutury didn't really begin proper until around 1920. Perhaps the 21st century will begin proper around 2020 and 2000-2019 will be seen merely as 20th century holdover before the "real" 21st century started.

..and Britney Spears will have long faded into obscurity by 2021.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/17/10 at 10:37 pm

Who knows, that's a pretty long time away.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/10 at 11:44 pm

Who knows, that's a pretty long time away.

No need to be accurate; you could be waaaaay off because this thread is all in good fun.  :)

Written By: 4wtr on 11/18/10 at 12:04 am

I have a feeling the world will most likely be in full on crisis mode by then. The problems that people are STILL putting off right now, or just beginning to acknowledge will be fully evident and the effects will have begun. You'll probably begin to see water shortages, food shortages, etc. I think the 2010s will be the first part of a crisis time period, and the 2020s the real deal. Kind of like the 1930s vs the 1940s, my guess is that for things to get better than they are right now, a war or some huge final act will have to happen. Hopefully not like WWII.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/18/10 at 12:14 am

No need to be accurate; you could be waaaaay off because this thread is all in good fun.  :)

I would hope that Britney by that time is irrelevant, she had her day. Hopefully we're completely out of those wars and the recession is a memory. Technology CDs probably won't be widely available anymore, possibly tablets will have replaced laptops and physical books, magazines, newspapers may finally be dying, pocket digi cams will likely be fully replaced by cell phone cams, Digital SLRS will remain for high quality digital images.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/10 at 12:14 am

I have a feeling the world will most likely be in full on crisis mode by then. The problems that people are STILL putting off right now, or just beginning to acknowledge will be fully evident and the effects will have begun. You'll probably begin to see water shortages, food shortages, etc. I think the 2010s will be the first part of a crisis time period, and the 2020s the real deal. Kind of like the 1930s vs the 1940s, my guess is that for things to get better than they are right now, a war or some huge final act will have to happen. Hopefully not like WWII.

Why will there be food shortages and water shortages? I like your prediction/response, but can you elaborate a little bit more? I would give you a karma, but you're just a guest!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/18/10 at 6:34 am

Well let's see I'll be nearing 50 years old so I don't know what it will be like.

Written By: Emman on 11/18/10 at 3:56 pm

Well let's see I'll be nearing 40 years old so I don't know what it will be like.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/18/10 at 7:42 pm

All I know is we'd better have freakin' jetpacks by then.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/10 at 8:07 pm

All I know is we'd better have freakin' jetpacks by then.

and flying cars.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/18/10 at 9:14 pm

Why will there be food shortages and water shortages? I like your prediction/response, but can you elaborate a little bit more? I would give you a karma, but you're just a guest!  ;D

Its alarmist propaganda.  Honestly, if anything, there will be an oil crunch by then.  I have a feeling the mid-late '10s are going to be ugly, with things like $300 oil and $8 gas.  Changes will have to be made to the way we conduct our society..be it as small as changing the types of vehicles we drive or as large as the abandonment of suburbia.  What actually will happen will be something in between the alarmist "end of the world" peak oil predictions and the eternal optimists. 

I don't see food/water shortages as soon as the 2020s.  Maybe by 2100 but 2021 is too soon. 

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/10 at 9:37 pm

Its alarmist propaganda.  Honestly, if anything, there will be an oil crunch by then.  I have a feeling the mid-late '10s are going to be ugly, with things like $300 oil and $8 gas.  Changes will have to be made to the way we conduct our society..be it as small as changing the types of vehicles we drive or as large as the abandonment of suburbia.  What actually will happen will be something in between the alarmist "end of the world" peak oil predictions and the eternal optimists. 

I don't see food/water shortages as soon as the 2020s.  Maybe by 2100 but 2021 is too soon. 

1 karma for explaining.

Wow, the mid-10's sound intense!
Suburbia? Wow, since the mid/late 1940's suburbia was a symbol of American plenty...maybe in the future, no more.  :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 11/18/10 at 9:39 pm

$8 a gallon gas god I hope not, I can barely handle $3 a gallon gas.

Written By: Shiv on 11/18/10 at 10:07 pm

$8 a gallon gas would get America's head out of its ass when it comes to competent public transit and high speed rail. I remember when gas went to $4.25 a gallon here in the Buffalo area, there was suddently a big push to expand our subway system (which currently consists of a single straight line...the system was supposed to branch all over western new york in the 80s but funding ran out)

Written By: Emman on 11/18/10 at 11:38 pm

It will probably take some time before we start seeing wide, long food shortages but food prices and other things will become VERY expensive, we will face chronic recessions(or one big, deep, terrible depression, the likes of which we've never seen before). Suburbs will start to become empty as people move closer to where they work, as in medium sized urban areas. We really need to build a massive rail system around the US, that would help alot. Peak oil will have likely be reached by 2021(if it hasn't already even), depending on the demand side of the equation with demand going down(if this recession keeps up), the oil bell curve might be more like a plateau than a very sharp peak. That could give society some extra years to adjust to decreasing oil supplies, but it will still be very hard on people, more unemployment, more poverty :\'(. Then there's peak coal, peak uraniun, and peak soil, some of this will come alittle later(probably around the mid 21st century/2030s,2040s). Modern life as we know it will likely change drastically as a result. I still see lots of cool technology in the future though, like electronic paper should be available by 2021 and we should see some huge progress in nanotechnology/biotech.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/10 at 5:34 am

or if they raise the bus fares to $5.00,That means no one will want to ride MTA anymore.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/10 at 5:35 am

2021 is 2012 in reverse. Could that mean something?  :o

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/19/10 at 11:54 am

Before you panic about gas prices; if the Chevy Volt is a hit, electric vehicles may become the norm for commuting/short trips with only one "highway cruiser" per family for use on long trips; with hybrids coexisting for awhile. Rail transportation in North America may have made a comeback with high-speed rail becoming more commonly used, saving congenstion at the airports/highways.

And flappers and the Charleston may make a comeback to celebrate the centennial of the roaring 1920s!

Written By: Emman on 11/19/10 at 12:35 pm

And flappers and the Charleston may make a comeback to celebrate the centennial of the roaring 1920s!

That would be very interesting, maybe it will have a futuristic twist to it.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/10 at 5:09 pm

2021 will The Jetsons Era.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/10 at 5:29 pm

2021 will The Jetsons Era.

The Jetsons rock!  8)

Written By: Howard on 11/19/10 at 5:58 pm

The Jetsons rock!  8)

and we'll have those Food a-trons that The Jetsons used to prepare meals.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/10 at 7:04 pm

2021 is 2012 in reverse. Could that mean something?  :o

I doubt it because it's just a random year I picked!  ;D

Written By: Starde on 11/19/10 at 7:32 pm

I with ya on that! Good Lord... :o

Written By: Howard on 11/20/10 at 5:52 am

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2021&country=1

YAY My birthday is on a Friday,How will I celebrate my 47th birthday?  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 6:01 am

Will I still be waiting to claim my pension then?

Written By: 4wtr on 11/20/10 at 11:20 am

How is a food shortage in 10 years alarmist propaganda? As another poster stated, food is likely to become very expensive in the next 10 years, which means a certain population of people will be without it, and those with money, will be wanting to buy it. Yes, there will probably be food banks, shelters, etc, but will they be able to provide for the growing number of people who can no longer afford food? Read the book called "The Fourth Turning" for patterns in society, there are highs, awakenings, unravelings, and crisis. We are definitely in a crisis right now, one that is most likely NOT going to be resolved before 2020, yes some of the current problems such as the economy, education, can be solved sooner, but the trickier issues will probably take a while

Written By: 80sfan on 11/20/10 at 12:15 pm

How is a food shortage in 10 years alarmist propaganda? As another poster stated, food is likely to become very expensive in the next 10 years, which means a certain population of people will be without it, and those with money, will be wanting to buy it. Yes, there will probably be food banks, shelters, etc, but will they be able to provide for the growing number of people who can no longer afford food? Read the book called "The Fourth Turning" for patterns in society, there are highs, awakenings, unravelings, and crisis. We are definitely in a crisis right now, one that is most likely NOT going to be resolved before 2020, yes some of the current problems such as the economy, education, can be solved sooner, but the trickier issues will probably take a while

Food shortages by 2020? Wow, now that'll make people look at the 00's as 'the good old days', Lol. Even though things were going south starting in the 00s already.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/20/10 at 3:36 pm

There has been a certain segment of the population that has been warning of an impending apocalypse since the 1960s.  Doom and gloom sells, but things rarely work out to be as bad as the worst case scenario, nor do they work out to be as good as the best case scenario.  And I am aware of the Fourth Turning.  In my opinion, Strauss and Howe are stretching things a bit to fit history into their pattern.  Most obviously, I do not see the spoiled, constantly complaining millennial generation as the next "greatest generation."

Written By: 4wtr on 11/20/10 at 3:51 pm

There has been a certain segment of the population that has been warning of an impending apocalypse since the 1960s.  Doom and gloom sells, but things rarely work out to be as bad as the worst case scenario, nor do they work out to be as good as the best case scenario.  And I am aware of the Fourth Turning.  In my opinion, Strauss and Howe are stretching things a bit to fit history into their pattern.  Most obviously, I do not see the spoiled, constantly complaining millennial generation as the next "greatest generation."
I agree that doom and gloom predictions are a bit extreme, but there is a difference between apocalypse speech, and recognizing an issue from current trends and population growth. With the millennial generation, some of them are spoiled, but they have an advantage of succeeding in the current mess the world is in because they have spent most of their lives living in it, are the most educated generation in history, and like to help in communities. I think the mistake they made with the book is that they portray the millennials as being very similar to the GIs of the 20th century, and that isn't the case, nor will it ever be. They are in their own way supposed to become great.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/10 at 5:17 pm

Food shortages by 2020? Wow, now that'll make people look at the 00's as 'the good old days', Lol. Even though things were going south starting in the 00s already.

I think they'll be plenty of food by 2020,we'll just have to eat stuff through tubes.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/10 at 7:14 pm

I think they'll be plenty of food by 2020,we'll just have to eat stuff through tubes.

We won't have to eat with tubes.  Instead we'll eat by choosing some pills from a wall dispenser.  And by 2020 we'll see flying cars relieving highway congestion and eliminating the need for bridge repairs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/10 at 10:14 pm

We won't have to eat with tubes.  Instead we'll eat by choosing some pills from a wall dispenser.  And by 2020 we'll see flying cars relieving highway congestion and eliminating the need for bridge repairs.

You'll pick your sons, pick your daughters too
from the bottom of a long glass tube,
Oooh-whoa!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused2.gif

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 6:45 am

like food pills?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/10 at 6:51 am

like food pills?  ???

Yeah.  Like you'll take a mashed potato pill, and then be able to select a gravy pill to go with it.  And depending upon your preference either a chicken or a turkey pill.

They'r still rowking on a turducken pill.  ;) ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 6:53 am

Yeah.  Like you'll take a mashed potato pill, and then be able to select a gravy pill to go with it.  And depending upon your preference either a chicken or a turkey pill.

They'r still rowking on a turducken pill.  ;) ;D
...and for afters?

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 6:54 am

They'r still rowking on a turducken pill.   ;) ;D

Nah It wouldn't work it's like taking medication all the time.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 6:54 am

...and for afters?

ice cream pill?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 6:54 am

ice cream pill?
Pumpkin Pie pill?

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 6:55 am

Pumpkin Pie pill?

Apple Pie Pill?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 6:56 am

Apple Pie Pill?
And drink will be drunk with pill diluted in water?

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 6:57 am

And drink will be drunk with pill diluted in water?

It would have to be mashed up first.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 7:01 am

I do not fancy drinking that.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 7:41 am

I do not fancy drinking that.

I meant the pill would have to be crushed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 7:42 am

I meant the pill would have to be crushed.
Crushing will help the cause, that way the drink will process quicker.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/10 at 8:02 am

Oh no.  In 2021 anybody who crushes their food pills will be seen as an uncouth savage.  Like the guy who puts on a bib at a State Dinner.

No sir.  One will place the pill on their tongue with a utensil that looks like a salt spoon or a demitasse, and then will savor the flavor for several minutes.

This will all be a product of the green movement, as the use of food pills will dispense with the need to use precious water resources to wash dishes.   ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/10 at 8:16 am

Oh no.  In 2021 anybody who crushes their food pills will be seen as an uncouth savage.  Like the guy who puts on a bib at a State Dinner.

No sir.  One will place the pill on their tongue with a utensil that looks like a salt spoon or a demitasse, and then will savor the flavor for several minutes.

This will all be a product of the green movement, as the use of food pills will dispense with the need to use precious water resources to wash dishes.  ;)
Would the individual have to purchase their own salt spoon or a demitasse or does it have to a family heirloom?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/10 at 12:22 pm

Would the individual have to purchase their own salt spoon or a demitasse or does it have to a family heirloom?

Either will work, but the use of a spork will be seen as unrefined, especially if it is plastic.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 1:29 pm

Crushing will help the cause, that way the drink will process quicker.

It'll go down smoother.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 1:30 pm

Oh no.  In 2021 anybody who crushes their food pills will be seen as an uncouth savage.  Like the guy who puts on a bib at a State Dinner.

No sir.  One will place the pill on their tongue with a utensil that looks like a salt spoon or a demitasse, and then will savor the flavor for several minutes.

This will all be a product of the green movement, as the use of food pills will dispense with the need to use precious water resources to wash dishes.   ;)

sounds cool.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/10 at 1:30 pm

Either will work, but the use of a spork will be seen as unrefined, especially if it is plastic.

I like that idea.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/22/10 at 6:05 am

I hope it's like "The Jetsons"!

Written By: Howard on 11/22/10 at 6:26 am

I hope it's like "The Jetsons"!

That would be cool to see flying cars up in the air but then what happens to airplanes?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/10 at 1:11 pm

That would be cool to see flying cars up in the air but then what happens to airplanes?  ???
The airplanes will drive along the roads.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/10 at 6:11 pm

The airplanes will drive along the roads.

Now that's pretty interesting.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/22/10 at 6:38 pm

Airliners will have hooks on them so that the flying cars can hitch a ride.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/10 at 6:52 pm

Airliners will have hooks on them so that the flying cars can hitch a ride.

Will it be enough to carry?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/22/10 at 7:02 pm

Will it be enough to carry?

Oh yes.  And as an added safety benefit, in the unlikely event that the airliner's engines fail, the various flying cars that have hooked on to it will simply turn on their engines so that the plane keeps on flying.

I can't wait for the future.  It's gonna be cool.   8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/10 at 1:43 am

Personal Jet Pack!

Written By: Howard on 11/23/10 at 6:38 am

And Christmas that month will be on a Saturday in 2021.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/23/10 at 1:05 pm

And Christmas that month will be on a Saturday in 2021.

I was gonna make this thread 'What do you think 2020 will be like?', but then realized that 2010 was almost over and I wanted it to be a full 10 years so I just made this thread applicable to 2011 also (counting 10 years from 2011).  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/23/10 at 9:06 pm

I was gonna make this thread 'What do you think 2020 will be like?', but then realized that 2010 was almost over and I wanted it to be a full 10 years so I just made this thread applicable to 2011 also (counting 10 years from 2011).  :(

That's quite alright.

Check for new replies or respond here...