inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Children in Need: Stars help raise more than £18m

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 4:58 am

Take That, Cheryl Cole and JLS were among the stars who helped raise more than £18m during the BBC's Children in Need TV appeal.

A host of celebrities took part in this year's seven-hour telethon, which raises money for disadvantaged children and young people in the UK.

By the end of the show at 0200 GMT the amount raised stood at £18,098,199.

Organisers hope the event will raise more than the £39m generated last year, once all donations are in.

By the end of last year's TV show just over £20m had been raised.

Sir Terry Wogan, Tess Daly and Fearne Cotton hosted Friday night's programme, which featured a joint appearance from the casts of EastEnders and Coronation Street.

In a special sketch, the residents of Walford and Weatherfield shared an exchange as the two towns were twinned for the evening.

There was also a preview of the Doctor Who Christmas special.

Take That, recently reunited with Robbie Williams, sang their new single The Flood and 1995's Never Forget.

Cheryl Cole kicked off the TV appeal with a performance of her latest single and JLS, Sir Tom Jones, Kylie Minogue and Susan Boyle also took to the stage.

Elsewhere, Formula 1 drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button went head to head in a go-karting challenge, with the help of two teams of young carers.

And a BBC news presenters team - including Fiona Bruce and Kate Silverton - performed a rendition of the Lady Gaga song Poker Face.

The presenters of Loose Women performed a Girls Aloud song, while the stars of Dragons' Den took part in a Come Dine With Me special.

Doctor Who and Torchwood star John Barrowman presented from Glasgow, where the cast of the Queen musical We Will Rock You performed.

Over in Cardiff, The One Show's Alex Jones was seen at the Millennium Stadium during half-time in the Wales v Fiji international rugby match, where girl band The Saturdays performed.

Meanwhile, viewers in Northern Ireland saw Radio One DJ Reggie Yates and John Daly host their part of the show from the Odyssey Arena in Belfast.

David Ramsden, chief executive of Children in Need, said the BBC was "humbled and inspired" by the money raised every year.

"In these tough times the millions raised tonight will make a real difference to thousands of young lives right across the UK. On behalf of the children I would like to thank everyone for their incredible generosity. "

Friday's fundaising total will continue to rise as money comes events already held, or scheduled to happen, around the UK.

Subject: Re: Children in Need: Stars help raise more than £18m

Written By: danootaandme on 11/20/10 at 5:25 am

“I hope not another telethon on the air, and if there is one, there should be a demand that every person who participates donates a minimum, because it was very infuriating to me after 9/11, to see millionaires asking the people in the country for their, you know, pennies ... It’s like, if you’re gonna go on and you’re a millionaire, please give a million dollars. Like, there should be a cover charge to do those, in my opinion ... I think celebrities should step up and America should stop asking for just their presence at a publicized event ... They should also demand their money.” - Rosie O'Donnell

I'm not a big Rosie fan, but she is great when it comes to social issues.  This is something she has said before.  A lot of these stars are good at asking for money, and many of these appearances are paid for so they are actually making money or doing it to garner publicity.  If they opened their wallets they would be doing a greater service.

Check for new replies or respond here...