inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Korean War continues.... in 2010!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/25/10 at 4:15 am

Well, the 2010's gets its first big event (after Haiti) if there is going to be a Korean War.

I'm scared because I'll be 22 in 4 days and could be drafted. Plus I'm overweight and out of shape  ;D so I don't think I'm in any way ready to be drafted. >:(

Subject: Re: Korean War continues.... in 2010!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/26/10 at 10:15 pm

Relax.

1) This is just Lil' Kim trying to set up his kid for the upcoming succession; he's not actually trying to resume hostilities.

2) We won't use the draft, even though we still can, because our military hardware is built in small quantities - which requires a military with a small number of well-trained and motivated troops (read: a few hundred thousand volunteers whose ass-kicking capabilities are multiplied a hundredfold by virtue of having access to a closet full of ridiculously-expensive awesomely-powerful toys), not millions of souls' worth of cannon fodder.

3) An army marches on its stomach, and despite having first pick at all the food in the country, North Korea's army - which is based on the "cannon fodder" mentality - is still on the verge of starvation.

Thus:

If the NorKs do go nuts and start something, (which they won't - see #1) the war will be over before Congress could pass a draft (which they won't - see #2), and even if you volunteered for military service on Day 1 of such a war, and you were accepted, the war would still be over (see #3) long before you were out of basic training.  (It will, however, absolutely suck for anyone in Seoul that week.)

Fortunately (see #1), this is all hypothetical, because neither China, nor the US, nor South Korea, nor North Korea, actually wants this fight.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/26/10 at 11:29 pm

Relax.

1) This is just Lil' Kim trying to set up his kid for the upcoming succession; he's not actually trying to resume hostilities.

2) We won't use the draft, even though we still can, because our military hardware is built in small quantities - which requires a military with a small number of well-trained and motivated troops (read: a few hundred thousand volunteers whose ass-kicking capabilities are multiplied a hundredfold by virtue of having access to a closet full of ridiculously-expensive awesomely-powerful toys), not millions of souls' worth of cannon fodder.

3) An army marches on its stomach, and despite having first pick at all the food in the country, North Korea's army - which is based on the "cannon fodder" mentality - is still on the verge of starvation.

Thus:

If the NorKs do go nuts and start something, (which they won't - see #1) the war will be over before Congress could pass a draft (which they won't - see #2), and even if you volunteered for military service on Day 1 of such a war, and you were accepted, the war would still be over (see #3) long before you were out of basic training.  (It will, however, absolutely suck for anyone in Seoul that week.)

Fortunately (see #1), this is all hypothetical, because neither China, nor the US, nor South Korea, nor North Korea, actually wants this fight.

Thanks for easing my little anxiety! Lol.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/10 at 12:42 am

Relax.

Don't do it, if you wanna step to it!

They're bucking for more aide from China to calm things down again.  Kim also dispray ancient Korean tradition of show everyone size of his dong!

That was Rumsfeld's Iraq sales pitch.  We pulled that one off the lot and the transmission died.  I'd check it out reeeeal careful this time!

When they see you, G.I, they see steaks, chicken, and lobster!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif

I think Seoul can provide services requested.  Might help their economy a bit.
:)

That's right.  Nobody wants to beat up the special needs kid no matter how obnoxious he behaves.  Let's just give him his meds, heat up some Spaghettios, pop in a Sponegbob DVD, and he'll clam up.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 11/27/10 at 1:54 am

That's right.  Nobody wants to beat up the special needs kid no matter how obnoxious he behaves.  Let's just give him his meds, heat up some Spaghettios, pop in a Sponegbob DVD, and he'll clam up.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Speaking of meds, I forgot to take mine today.  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/20/10 at 8:25 pm

Hmm...Maybe Alan Alda could revise his role in a 2010 update of MASH?

I suppose he's wealthy enough on MASH royalties that he could...

*dons sunglasses a'la CSI*

...take or leave it as he pleased.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhh!

Subject: It's Christmas At Ground Zero!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/10 at 8:48 pm

The (North Korean) regime is “fully prepared to launch a sacred war of justice of Korean style based on the nuclear deterrent”
 - Bloomberg, Sat Dec 25 03:22:01 GMT 2010.

Oh, those commies.  They're so cute when they're angry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

Now, we all know they're not going to do it.  But as long they've still got a few more hours to prove me wrong, let's have a little sing-along! 

Merry Christmas, you crazy commie bastards! :)

Subject: Re: It's Christmas At Ground Zero!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 3:04 am

The (North Korean) regime is “fully prepared to launch a sacred war of justice of Korean style based on the nuclear deterrent”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

Now, we all know they're not going to do it.  But as long they've still got a few more hours to prove me wrong, let's have a little sing-along! 

Foo Bar, I love your way of responding.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/10 at 6:54 pm

We didn't let those dirty commie bastards spoil our Christmas.  We cooked our goose and if they were here, we woulda cooked theirs. 

(Beck tested, Palin approved!)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 9:17 pm

We didn't let those dirty commie bastards spoil our Christmas.  We cooked our goose and if they were here, we woulda cooked theirs. 

(Beck tested, Palin approved!)

:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/10 at 7:49 pm

We didn't let those dirty commie bastards spoil our Christmas.  We cooked our goose and if they were here, we woulda cooked theirs.  

And now that the exercises are mostly over, (they backed down, as they always do) we won't let 'em spoil New Year's either!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoSFQb5HVk

Dance for us, you silly commie bastards, dance!

"Let's do it, let's dance!  Let's dance across the floor!"
 - Jimmy Bo Horne, 1979, Dance Across The Floor.

Check for new replies or respond here...