inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CNN article on "Euro-hop sound invading America"

Written By: Emman on 12/01/10 at 5:21 am

This is the article:

-- Blame it on the French if you must, but 2010 may well go down as the year mainstream America went not just Europop, but "Euro-hop."

Four out of Billboard's Top 20 singles this week bear the hallmarks of an unmistakable new Eurodance-meets-urban sound that is all but taking over Top 40 and urban radio.

It's a club-influenced soundtrack for teens and 20-somethings filled with sparkling synth hooks and throbbing beats more Berlin than Baltimore, yet Middle America can't get enough.

"It's absolutely unbelievable," said Paris-based DJ and producer David Guetta via phone late last month. "When I started this, I could never imagine that one day this sound would become a new format in America."

Guetta, whose collaboration with Flo Rida ("Club Can't Handle Me ") is currently No. 12 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, is arguably the leader of a new Euro-hop sound that pairs American rappers with European-style house music.

"My goal was to create a bridge between European DJ culture and American urban culture," he said. "When we did 'I Got a Feeling' and it became bigger than we ever thought, I thought it's really crazy and I never could have imagined that it was gonna be that way in America."

The Frenchman said the reason Americans are embracing Euro-style beats over more traditional R&B rhythms or hardcore rap sounds that were popular on radio just three years ago is because the fresh fusion "is the best of both worlds."

"When it comes to sound and energy, nobody can beat dance music," he said. "But when it comes to melody, nobody can beat urban music."

The formula has certainly worked for Guetta and his collaborators such as Akon recently (the two topped the charts worldwide in 2009 with "Sexy B*tch" and Guetta had another huge crossover smash with his "Memories" this year).

But Guetta is far from the only across-the-Atlantic producer pushing a European sound for Americans who seemingly can't get enough club music wrapped in a pop package.

The trend has been building for years in the United States, with everyone from Britney Spears to Madonna turning to Europe and Scandinavia for inspiration (and songs). Earlier this year, producer J.R. Rotem and Minneapolis-born rapper/singer Auburn had a minor hit with a version of German Eurodance act ATC's decade-old track "Around the World (LaLaLaLaLa)."

Today, this new urban Euro-inspired sound is bigger than ever.

Norwegian producers/songwriting duo Stargate know a thing or two about radio hits -- they penned Beyonce's "Irreplaceable" and top-selling tracks for Ne-Yo -- and lately they are turning to European hooks for inspiration.

As a result, Tor Hermansen and partner Mikkel Eriksen are officially the fall's hottest hands in music after penning Rihanna's Euro-sounding smash "Only Girl In The World" (currently in Billboard's Top 5), Katy Perry's latest "Firework" and Pittsburgh rapper Wiz Khalifa's buzzing "Black & Yellow."

"There's been a huge change in America," said Hermansen from his studio in New York last month. "When we were working with Ne-Yo and Beyonce just a few years ago, things were different. ... There's been a shift in tempo, sound and style and I guess you can say we've been a part of that, but it's also happened because the taste of the public has changed over the past two years."

According to Hermansen, younger Americans are embracing European-style music because it sounds fresh.

"Every generation needs to have their own sound," he said. "If you're a 15-year-old today you don't want to listen to the same thing that a 15-year-old listened to five years ago."

Eurodance ruled the airwaves in the 1980s and early 1990s, when acts like Germany's Snap! stormed the upper echelons of U.S. pop charts with hits such as "The Power" and "Rhythm Is A Dancer."

But teens today are more likely to prefer a fusion of Euro styles wrapped in an authentically American package.

"What we are trying to do is to combine elements from European club music with a real song, urban sounds and interesting lyrics that will hold up in America," Hermansen said.

Guetta echoed the sentiment.

"Hip-hop came from the underground and became the new pop music. The same thing is happening with dance music now, and it's actually changing hip-hop to create a new hip-hop pop sound."

And while many music fans bemoan artists such as Usher "going Europop," consumers are voting the music up via iTunes downloads and CDs sold.

For better or worse, more "Euro-hop" is almost certainly on the way.

Subject: Re: CNN article on "Euro-hop sound invading America"

Written By: Cory! on 12/01/10 at 7:11 am

I love this :D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/01/10 at 11:13 am

I think music in the 2010's will be better than the 00's; actually, it IS better than the 00's currently already!

The 00's will always be in my eyes the worse decade for music.... EVER!  ;D

Written By: Shiv on 12/01/10 at 11:58 am

I like the change too. The old R&B/pop-rap sound was getting extremely stale, and to be honest, was always kind of annoying.

Written By: Cory! on 12/01/10 at 4:12 pm

I agree with you guys. I mean I'm a teenager and even I can say that music in the 00's SUCKED.
I think the only time I even liked it was probably the early 00's. That was about it though. Music's been slowly
getting a lot better since 2008 and now its a lot better than it has been for a LONG time.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/10 at 7:27 pm

I think music in the 2010's will be better than the 00's; actually, it IS better than the 00's currently already!

The 00's will always be in my eyes the worse decade for music.... EVER!  ;D

That's why they should bring back the 80's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/10 at 7:55 pm

Can emo-Euro-Hop be very far away? ???

Written By: Emman on 12/02/10 at 4:04 am

It took "euro-hop" to effectively kill off post-grunge, something that teenpop, crunk, ringtone rap and emo couldn't do in the 00's ;D.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/10 at 6:33 am

Can emo-Euro-Hop be very far away? ???

What's that supposed to sound like? ???

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/10 at 12:51 pm

The Pamela Anderson sex tape :P

Written By: Howard on 12/02/10 at 8:08 pm

The Pamela Anderson sex tape :P

Wow,It's THAT good?  :o  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/10 at 8:29 pm

Euro-hop but with more emotive content.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: Howard on 12/02/10 at 8:46 pm

Euro-hop but with more emotive content.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

probably doesn't sound good.

Written By: seamermar on 12/03/10 at 6:14 am

It seems world is spinnig around quickest ever. Each generation wants to have his own sound and his own way of explanation.
I can't catch with this kinda "noise", but then again I know I have no choise but to stand cuz it's the way my children to convey what they feel.

I rather think about boomerang music effect, sometimes east, others west  ;)

France gave you then a stoned woman of liberty, now a bridge of street-music.

What's wrong about ?

Let vibes stream around  ;)

Written By: Creeder on 12/03/10 at 2:12 pm

Terrible, terrible news...
I, as a european am so sick of this euro-house sound. Maybe its somethig exotic for americans. I always liked american sounding music (mostly rock, country, some rap) and that's why I'm not pleased to see how americans are losing their defining sound.

It took "euro-hop" to effectively kill off post-grunge, something that teenpop, crunk, ringtone rap and emo couldn't do in the 00's ;D.

Another terrible thing. I love post-grunge - the last hope for rock n' roll.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/03/10 at 2:35 pm

I, as a european am so sick of this euro-house sound. Maybe its somethig exotic for americans. I always liked american sounding music (mostly rock, country, some rap) and that's why I'm not pleased to see how americans are losing their defining sound.Another terrible thing. I love post-grunge - the last hope for rock n' roll.
I agree and disagree with you. This "Euro-Hop" sound does not look appealing to me at all. Also, Post-Grunge is the last hope of Rock 'n' Roll? It had 16 years on top and I can say it pretty much failed on becoming the "saving grace" for Rock. WAY too generic sounding, and it gave up the rebellion aspect of Rock music.

Written By: Creeder on 12/03/10 at 2:43 pm

Also, Post-Grunge is the last hope of Rock 'n' Roll? It had 16 years on top and I can say it pretty much failed on becoming the "saving grace" for Rock. WAY too generic sounding, and it gave up the rebellion aspect of Rock music.

True, it gave up all the rebellion in the latter part of 00s. I can say that early 90's grunge was the last trully rebelion era in rock music and I don't see signs of that changing. Indie rock lacks the balls to do that.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/10 at 3:15 pm

I, as a european am so sick of this euro-house sound. Maybe its somethig exotic for americans. I always liked american sounding music (mostly rock, country, some rap) and that's why I'm not pleased to see how americans are losing their defining sound.Another terrible thing. I love post-grunge - the last hope for rock n' roll.

I don't like it either.

Written By: tv on 12/03/10 at 4:15 pm

I rather hear Euro-Hop than Ringtone Rap any day of the week!

Written By: Emman on 12/03/10 at 10:55 pm

Hey, since the euro-house stuff is becoming popular in the US, maybe post-grunge and other american rock might become popular where you're from, you can still have hope, right........ :D.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/10 at 6:35 am

I rather hear Euro-Hop than Ringtone Rap any day of the week!

do you hear those on cellphones? ???

Written By: tv on 03/04/11 at 3:20 pm

Yeah the US music scene does seem like its getting more like the UK scene in the last couple years because of the Euro-pop or Electro-pop sound. I have a very good friend that lives in the UK and she said whats popular in the UK is popular in the US.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:52 am

true, hasn't house been dominating europe for like 20 years?

Written By: Creeder on 04/10/11 at 2:09 pm

true, hasn't house been dominating europe for like 20 years?

Yes, house, trance and electronic as a whole is one of the biggest genres in Europe. Along with metal which still has a large following.
But I prefer to listen to american music and american rock'n'roll.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/11 at 2:43 pm

What was European music like pre-1980s?  ???

Written By: Creeder on 04/10/11 at 3:14 pm

What was European music like pre-1980s?  ???

Don't really know. Maybe some kind of disco (ABBA) and local pop. Look at Eurovision song contest for more info.

Check for new replies or respond here...