inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will the '90s nostalgia start?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/05/10 at 11:08 pm

Every twenty years it seems, to greater or lesser degrees, there comes a nostalgia for the period two decades prior. In the '70s, the 1950s were huge. In the '90s, 60s and 70s nostalgia was big; In the early-mid '00s, 80s nostalgia was rather big.

Do you see '90s nostalgia coming back? If so, in what forms? Musically? Fashion? TV? And what part of the '90s do you see being nostalgized in this decade--the early, mid or late 90s?

Subject: Re: When will the '90s nostalgia start?

Written By: Emman on 12/06/10 at 12:46 am

Every twenty years it seems, to greater or lesser degrees, there comes a nostalgia for the period two decades prior. In the '70s, the 1950s were huge. In the '90s, 60s and 70s nostalgia was big; In the early-mid '00s, 80s nostalgia was rather big.

Do you see '90s nostalgia coming back? If so, in what forms? Musically? Fashion? TV? And what part of the '90s do you see being nostalgized in this decade--the early, mid or late 90s?

I think we're seeing some signs of early 90's nostalgia now with the mix of rap and techno-dance(hip-house) and all the eurodance-ish music, not to mention the fashion(old school hip-hop era) mixed with an emo-ish stlye.

I think the late 90's(teenpop, nu-metal, big beat) won't be in vogue again until like 2020-2025.

Written By: Emman on 12/06/10 at 1:00 am

Every twenty years it seems, to greater or lesser degrees, there comes a nostalgia for the period two decades prior. In the '70s, the 1950s were huge. In the '90s, 60s and 70s nostalgia was big; In the early-mid '00s, 80s nostalgia was rather big.Do you see '90s nostalgia coming back? If so, in what forms? Musically? Fashion? TV? And what part of the '90s do you see being nostalgized in this decade--the early, mid or late 90s?

I would say the 50's nostalgia was huge in the late 70s to mid 80's(just listen to some of the pop music of the early 80's), 60's nostalgia from the late 80's(there was alot of vietnam movies made then) to late 90's. The 70's came in vogue around the early 90's and lasted in one form or another to the mid 00's(one of my favorite trends of the early 00's was french house, a homage to 70's disco). The earliest traces of 80's nostalgia actually started to creep in during the late 90's but was alot more noticable in the mid/late 00's to early 10's. The late 90's also had a short swing music revival, mostly around 1998.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/06/10 at 7:31 am

It's already happening, though it most probably has not yet reached its peak. Just do some news searches for "'90s nostalgia", "90s retro" on Google's news archive for 2010 and you'll see it's already happening, in fact I may see 2010 as the "breakthrough year" for '90s nostalgia, though I feel this year has more of a definate "current" vibe than a "nostalgic" vibe of the last few years of the '00s as mobile technology, 3D TV/movies, and some of the music is being more accepted by the mainstream crowd of the past few years. However, there is still some '80s nostalgia left this year with Hot Tub Time Machine and Glory Dayz, though I feel it is being pushed to the background, as many nostalgics of the '80s have "had their fill" over the past few years and getting tired of the same old style once again.

Technically, nostalgia for a decade can begin as early as the day after it ended, and is actually not uncommon for stuff about "a look back at the past decade". There was even a TV special called "The Fabulous Fifties" in January 1960. However, the nostalgic interpretation changes over time, with the '50s by far the best example, as what later became known as the "Fifties" since around 1972 generally extended up to the JFK assassination in Nov. 1963, and usually a set of several notable popular releases allows a decade to be accepted as "culturally nostalgic". 1972 is a good example as Crocodile Rock, the musical Grease, a Chuck Berry #1 hit, American Graffiti, and the first "Oldies" station all came together to really show that the "spirit of the 50s" was alive and well. The other decades haven't been quite as clear with stuff generally "phasing in" over a few years.

Also, nostalgia for a decade usually becomes less pure and more anachronistic over time. For instance a pin-up subculture currently mixes '50s pin-up dresses with certain furniture and classic cars with more contemporary stuff like tatoos and techno music. I feel there are several phases in the lifespan of a nostalgic decade.

1. Right around the time the decade ends, some reflections on how the just-ended decade changed society. Mostly literal and very pure, and often with a cynical tone. For instance Time's "decade from hell" just last year gave readers that "phew" or enough of that feeling. This leads to:
2. The backlash.
3. A subculture "discovers" how cool certain stuff of a decade were and how it is so much better than current stuff.
4. The decade becomes commercialized in the form of comebacks, reunions, musicals about that decade, media about that decade, and an increase in popularity of the "oldies of that time". Still fairly respectable to the actual decade, with some minor modifications for the present. This is the period most associated with "when was that decade's nostalgic peak?"
5. Nostalgia becomes more niche through books/movies relating to a subject of that era, plus nostalgia increasingly becomes "inspired by (insert decade) with a current twist". Anachronism/historical revisionism becomes a factor.
6. Nostalgia for that era is no longer mainstream, being relegated to the demographic no longer friendly to most advertisers. Oldies/classic movies playlists dwindle and eventually disappear altogether. Mixing stuff from that decade with current stuff is now 100% acceptable, leaving the pure stuff to special "collector's editions" and museums.
7. Post-nostalgic: This era is now completely under the hands of the history books rather than personal memories. Go to the library/eBay/antique shop if you want to try to "live" that era.

Basically, 2000 and early 2001 was stage 1 for '90s nostalgia, as then we were reflecting on the changes of the '90s and the Clinton era and this basically continued until just before 9/11. Stage 2 was late 2001-2007 where pretty much anything '90s, such as CD players and Teen Pop bands were uncool, though lots of watered-down 1999 stuff prevailed into the mid-00s. We are probably finishing up Stage 3 right now (2008-2010), as the subcultures about different '90s things will soon begin the commercialization of that decade to the mainstream. I feel 2011 and the rest of the '10s will be full-blown 4 with the Backstreet Boys reunion and the 20th anniversary of Nevermind. As for the other decades, the '00s are currently at stage 2, the '80s are currently between 4 and 5, the '70s are currently at stage 5, the '60s between 5 and 6, the '50s at late stage 6, and everything earlier at stage 7.

As part of what part of the '90s gets nostalgic, I think we'll probably see an even mix actually, with Teen Pop era songs followed by Grunge era songs not uncommon on certain '90s stations (this is true on XM's 90s on 9). I feel that the Eurodance hits are quickly moving into "oldies" status now that a new wave of euro-techno pop artists has surfaced. However, many people have saved their stuff from the '90s and are still found in basements/closests/garages, so eBay rather than re-releases will be the way to experience stuff from that era. But '90s nostalgia on certain fronts such as TV and movies will be different than other decades in terms of reruns, as much of the material is already readily available, given that tv shows on DVD started coming out just as the '90s ended and many recent favorites were also released.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/10 at 11:18 am

Eminem has a new song that samples the 1993 song 'What is love'. That's a 90's song, and 90's nostalgia has definitely already started.

And like yelimsexa, it's here, it's just haven't yet reached its peak.

Written By: Emman on 12/06/10 at 3:49 pm

Eminem has a new song that samples the 1993 song 'What is love'. That's a 90's song, and 90's nostalgia has definitely already started.

And like yelimsexa, it's here, it's just haven't yet reached its peak.

I think I heard that song on the radio and was like WTF :o, Eminem doing euro-techno!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/10 at 3:51 pm

I see this upcoming decade being a weird blend of elements from the mid to late 80's and early 90's.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/10 at 3:53 pm

I see this upcoming decade being a weird blend of elements from the mid to late 80's and early 90's.

a mix of rock and rap.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/10 at 3:54 pm

I am think more of new wave, techno, and trance music, from the 80's and 90's.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/10 at 3:55 pm

I am think more of new wave, techno, and trance music, from the 80's and 90's.

and to think the 80's were 30 years ago.  :o

Written By: Emman on 12/06/10 at 5:13 pm

VH1 or somebody needs to hurry up and make a 90's music video show like the 80's show they have on VH1 classics, I want my 90's music videos >:(.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/06/10 at 5:37 pm

VH1 or somebody needs to hurry up and make a 90's music video show like the 80's show they have on VH1 classics, I want my 90's music videos >:(.
You're right. One of the reasons why i think VH1 Classic is annoying is that they seem to only show 80's Hair Metal crap. And if not that, it ALWAYS has to be 80's music or Heavy Metal music.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/10 at 7:04 am

I Love The 90's.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/07/10 at 1:16 pm

I still think it's too early for late 90's nostalgia.  It litterally feels like 5 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/10 at 8:08 pm

I still think it's too early for late 90's nostalgia.  It litterally feels like 5 years ago.

I think 90's nostalgia will start in a few years.

Written By: Starde on 12/07/10 at 10:45 pm

I think it'll start in the second half of the 2010s.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/10 at 7:12 am

I think it'll start in the second half of the 2010s.

I think people should wait a few years before gathering stuff that happened in the 90's.

Written By: Shiv on 12/08/10 at 10:57 am

I hope the big Disneyesque hand-drawn animation epics come back as part of it. That was a big part of the 90s. The interchangeable dime-a-dozen CGI movies are getting old.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/08/10 at 1:51 pm

I hope the big Disneyesque hand-drawn animation epics come back as part of it. That was a big part of the 90s. The interchangeable dime-a-dozen CGI movies are getting old.
Wasn't "The Princess and the Frog" hand-drawn?

Written By: Howard on 12/08/10 at 2:18 pm

stuff from TV or film?

Written By: tnf on 12/11/10 at 4:20 am

Hmmm... I've had a huge Dutch 90s nostalgia site from early 2005 till late 2009, with lots of pictures and stories, and to be honest... it was quite popular - from the start. I guess some years ago, there were already enough people ready for it. Sadly, I had to replace the site by my current music site (a lot smaller and easier to update) because of personal reasons.  :\'(

There's also a Dutch webradio station called 'Planet 90', only playing 90s hits, and since 2006 or something like that, it's really booming.

No, 90s nostalgia isn't really new.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/11/10 at 9:53 am

It may start now, this decade is just sheesh. The Beatles actually sell more songs now than most musicians today!

I think this guy is bringing back the 90's right now!...

JuL18vMJGKg
Ikm2eRM6SZA

I still prefer The Angry Video Game Nerd!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/11/10 at 11:40 am

It's already started. The people starting 90s nostalgia right now are people who were kids in the decade. It's really more of a Gen Y thing than a Gen Z thing.

Written By: denten on 12/13/10 at 6:06 pm

I don't think that 90s nostalgia will be as huge as 80s was couple years ago. It means that electronic/house music will continue to be most popular, but it can't go this way. Look at top 40 nowadays, even in USA it's filled almost only with house/electropop/r'n'b stuff. These genres are at they peak of popularity, next thing for them is fall-down, which i suppose, will start by next autumn. 90s were about that (those genres) Ofcourse there was grunge... but i think we had enough of post-grunge in last 15 years. So it also not gonna hit the market. I have feeling that some kind of mixture of disco (real one, with live instruments), funk, rave and rock stuff will get young audience attracted. I think there will be much more bands in top 40, who play live instruments.  Usually next big thing in music is opposite to previous one.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 7:45 pm

Maybe by 2020.

Written By: tnf on 12/14/10 at 3:13 am

I think there will be much more bands in top 40, who play live instruments.  Usually next big thing in music is opposite to previous one.

I hope so. More exactly, I hope (young) people learn to appreciate a natural sounding production and natural sounding voices again. It doesn't have to be 'band music', it can also be organic sounding black music, like the old Neptunes productions. Or organic souding electronic music, like many music which was popular in Europe in the early 00s. The era of lounge, groovy house, etcetera.

Young people have to be ready for it, and such music has to fit the spirit of the times to break through, though. There's a cold (eighties like) atmosphere in the world, nowadays. Perfectly fitting all the artificial autotune and loudness war crap, sadly.

Written By: Emman on 12/14/10 at 3:43 am

I hope so. More exactly, I hope (young) people learn to appreciate a natural sounding production and natural sounding voices again. It doesn't have to be 'band music', it can also be organic sounding black music, like the old Neptunes productions. Or organic souding electronic music, like many music which was popular in Europe in the early 00s. The era of lounge, groovy house, etcetera.

Young people have to be ready for it, and such music has to fit the spirit of the times to break through, though. There's a cold (eighties like) atmosphere in the world, nowadays. Perfectly fitting all the artificial autotune and loudness war crap, sadly.

I know what you talkin about, that vaguely early 80's R&B influenced Neptunes sound and the funky, groovy french house sound of the early 00's. 8)

Written By: tnf on 12/14/10 at 3:50 am

Exactly. :)

Music sounded much warmer 10 years ago. For personal favorites, click this page of my website.

Written By: Shiv on 12/14/10 at 8:12 am

It doesn't have to be 'band music', it can also be organic sounding black music, like the old Neptunes productions.

It would be cool if soul music returned in the 10s. That was some beautiful music, and it would be a nice contrast to the synthesized, mechanical 00s R&B sound. I can see it happening

Written By: KKay on 12/14/10 at 8:36 am

it's always official when your decade comes on the oldies station.  I heard Soul Asylum...could be the signal.

Written By: tnf on 12/14/10 at 10:18 am

It would be cool if soul music returned in the 10s. That was some beautiful music, and it would be a nice contrast to the synthesized, mechanical 00s R&B sound. I can see it happening

That synthesized, mechanical sound feels more like a 2008-2010 thing than a typical 00s thing. Maybe 2006-2010. And I've got the feeling it's going to dominate 2011 also.

Early 00s Neptunes productions and similar songs (very dominating back then) sounded tight, but still very human.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/10 at 1:57 pm

You mean the 70's and 80's?  ???

Written By: RG1995 on 12/14/10 at 2:25 pm

You mean the 70's and 80's?  ???
Maybe he ment 90's "Rap Soul" acts like Lauryn Hill

Written By: tv on 12/14/10 at 6:28 pm

Exactly. :)

Music sounded much warmer 10 years ago. For personal favorites, click this page of my website.
Yeah but thats music from The Netherlands. I;m from the US.

Written By: tv on 12/14/10 at 6:29 pm

it's always official when your decade comes on the oldies station.  I heard Soul Asylum...could be the signal.
The 90's are not the oldies yet in my opinion.

Written By: tv on 12/14/10 at 6:30 pm

Maybe he ment 90's "Rap Soul" acts like Lauryn Hill
...and mary J. blige i guess.

or smooth R&B acts like Brian McKnight, Vanessa Williams, Shai, Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton, or Tevin Campbelll.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/14/10 at 6:47 pm

Personally, I'd like to see a 90s equivelent of "Dazed and Confused" based in 1995, the peak of 90's culture imo. That'd be interesting.  :P

Written By: Emman on 12/14/10 at 8:37 pm

Personally, I'd like to see a 90s equivelent of "Dazed and Confused" based in 1995, the peak of 90's culture imo. That'd be interesting.  :P

I definitely feel 1995 is the quintessential 90's year, it had elements of both the early 90's and late 90's. That year(from what I remember) was very laid-back, smooth R&B dominated, it had a dark, cool vibe(the music, fashions).

Written By: tnf on 12/15/10 at 12:51 am

*grins*

Here in The Netherlands the year 1995 was also very laidback, but also about 'going crazy', in fashion and in music. Our charts were filled with extremely happy music (happy hardcore, search YouTube for 'Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo - Stars', 'Dj Paul Elstak - Rainbow in the sky' and 'Technohead - I wanna be a hippy') and many, many cult hits. Like Talk Of The Town - The la la song.

While girls wore very short, bright colored skirts and tight shirts (some were belly shirts) in colors like bright orange or shocking pink. Sometimes, it was completed with pig tails and a little silver bag.

Check this compilation I made a couple of years ago, for my old 90s nostalgy site: http://www.wwzapper.com/1995-fashion.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/15/10 at 6:46 am

I'd say give stations another 10-15 more years.

Written By: tv on 12/15/10 at 8:48 am

I'd say give stations another 10-15 more years.
I agree with you Howard.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/17/10 at 8:48 pm

The first evidence I noticed of 90's nostalgia was in the 2005 film "Just Friends", in which the beginning was set in 1995 (some posts on this thread mentioned that year being the peak of 90's culture). Especially when Ryan Reynold's character sang "I Swear" by All 4 One, that felt very nostalgic, and took me back to my high school days (I graduated in '97).

Written By: Shiv on 12/19/10 at 11:08 pm

Normally I'd say it was still too early for 90's nostalgia

The early 90s were 20 years ago!!!

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 6:47 am

The early 90s were 20 years ago!!!

And it seems like the 90's were just yesterday,time is sure flying by.  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/20/10 at 9:58 pm

'Dj Paul Elstak - Rainbow in the sky'

Heh, I thought I was the only one who remembered that and did a doubletake to Berri (New Atlantic) and "Sunshine after the Rain".  

DJ Paul Elstak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvkYaldSd0

Berri / New Atlantic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wdAD2dlDw

(or watch the video from the Berri track from here if you want to sacrifice audio quality for the correct aspect ratio.)

On balance, I've gotta go with Berri, not just because I think she was first (was she?  Can anyone check Berri vs. Elstak to see who did this first) for she wields a variation on the seven-bladed windbreaker.  It's not an exact replica, but by Dobbs, if you freeze-frame it at 0:47 into the video, it indeed has seven blades.

(Oh, great.  Now I have to add Elkie Brooks as the 1977 original version of Sunshine after the Rain to my list of tracks to find...  And only then will I truly be able to claim that Berri covered the 1977 original in 1994, used her own version of Donna Summer's backbeat from I Feel Love, and DJ Paul Elstak took it to the next level a few months later.  Earliest date I can get on Elstak's track is 1995, but I could be wrong.)

Written By: tnf on 12/21/10 at 8:03 am

You're right, that track is from 1995. :)

Written By: CeeKay on 12/21/10 at 8:16 am

I think the 90s will be true "oldies" when the people who were teens in the 90s are in their 30s and have kids have kids who are old enough to say, "What did you listen to back in the day?"

90s nostalgia, generally, is the same -- when people born in the late 80s-early 90s are 30-40 years old, they will become nostalgic for the 90s.  I, personally, might become nostalgic for the 90s when my kids have grandchildren and we all reminisce about when my kids were little (in the 90s).   Maybe around 2015-2020.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/10 at 8:29 am

I think the 90s will be true "oldies" when the people who were teens in the 90s have kids who are in their 30s, and have kids who are old enough to say, "What did you listen to back in the day?"

90s nostalgia, generally, is the same -- when people born in the late 80s-early 90s are 30-40 years old, they will become nostalgic for the 90s.  I, personally, might become nostalgic for the 90s when my kids have grandchildren and we all reminisce about when my kids were little (in the 90s).   Maybe around 2015-2020.

and it seems the 90's were just yesterday. :o

Written By: CeeKay on 12/21/10 at 10:46 am

^ Back to ya!

Written By: joeman on 12/21/10 at 11:34 am

I think the 90s will be true "oldies" when the people who were teens in the 90s are in their 30s and have kids have kids who are old enough to say, "What did you listen to back in the day?"

Agreed.  I don't think we will see it until 2012-3 when people born around 1977 become 35 years old.

Written By: Creeder on 12/21/10 at 12:58 pm

In the 00's I was obsessed with the 80's (although I never lived them actually, being born in 1989 and all), but recently I'm getting a big 90's nostalgia feeling.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/10 at 2:08 pm

Agreed.  I don't think we will see it until 2012-3 when people born around 1977 become 35 years old.

And whatever will become of us Generation Xer's being born in the 70's? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/21/10 at 2:10 pm

In the 00's I was obsessed with the 80's (although I never lived them actually, being born in 1989 and all), but recently I'm getting a big 90's nostalgia feeling.

The 90's had some good hip hop music like Vanilla Ice,C & C Music Factory,Salt And Pepa.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/21/10 at 4:23 pm

The 90's had some good hip hop music like Vanilla Ice

Huh?

Written By: CeeKay on 12/22/10 at 7:44 am

I do admit I'm nostalgic for the 90s as I think about it:  My kids were little, the economy was good, my marriage was going well, I had a house and a fun job.  Ha.  Life was fairly trouble-free for me at least during the first half or more of that decade.  Thanks for the reminder  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/24/10 at 7:19 pm

Well I don't have the rank yet to do so, but here's a karma point in advance. There was an idea that was floated a long while ago call the "Retro Lag" that basically said the same thing.

Dig it up, we could use a good read...

I'm of the same mind on retro lag.  Something I'd like to ask my surviving grandparent is whether or not she (and her parents/grandparents) experienced the same phenomenon.  Our generations (say, from around 1930-present) were the first to have ready access to mass-distributed media - either via radio, wax cylinder/phonograph/vinyl, tape, or MP3 - as the things with which we identify ourselves. 

I have this (mis)perception of people from the 19th century either spending all of their time farming, working in factories, reading (newspapers? serially-published novels?), carousing in bars, or attending the opera - with only the latter three offering any possibility of "pop culture".  It feels downright alien to me to try and conceive of a time in which there might not have been enough leisure time for something that passed for pop culture.  I know something equivalent to pop culture existed back then, but it's equally alien to imagine what it might have been, having eliminated mass-produced/broadcast audio/visual entertainment.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/10 at 6:47 am

Didn't it already happen on VH1?  ???

Written By: Starde on 12/25/10 at 10:57 am

I agree. :) But honestly, everyone (except for those too young/wasn't born yet to experience the 90's) will look back at the 90's in some nostalgic way.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 9:24 pm

In a perfect world, 90's nostalgia wouldn't start until about 2015.  :)

Written By: RG1995 on 12/29/10 at 9:50 pm

Does anyody have any idea of what a 90's nostalgic movie would be like? I would guess it would be somewhere between 1993-1996, but since I myself was born in 1995, I'm not to sure what 90's nostalgia would be exactly. I would assume Clinton, OJ, and Grunge would be big factors.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 9:53 pm

Does anyody have any idea of what a 90's nostalgic movie would be like? I would guess it would be somewhere between 1993-1996, but since I myself was born in 1995, I'm not to sure what 90's nostalgia would be exactly. I would assume Clinton, OJ, and Grunge would be big factors.

It'll be hard because the 90's fashion was pretty much like today.  :o

It's like making a film about the 40's and 50's. The fashion was similar enough that people from the future wouldn't be able to tell which decade's fashion is which.

Written By: Emman on 12/29/10 at 10:25 pm

It'll be hard because the 90's fashion was pretty much like today.  :o

It's like making a film about the 40's and 50's. The fashion was similar enough that people from the future wouldn't be able to tell which decade's fashion is which.

WHAT......now you know the fashion is different between the 90's(even late 90's) and early 10's, alot of people in the everyday sense may still wear a t-shirt and jeans, but that's been around since the 60's at least, and no one would say the entire fashion hasn't changed since the 60's. I do admit that fashion changed the least during most of the 00's though, it's only been in the last few years(around 2008) where the fashion has gotten more distinctive from the bland, moderate 00's look.

In the "trendy" sense, the 90's had a more loose, mininalist, casual fashion sense while today's fashion is either neon/indie hip-hop look, the scrave-wearing, small-fitting vest, dressed-up look for men, or lingering updated emo fashion, and I'm not even going to talk about somes girls trying to look like Lady Gaga. It seems the fashion trends are moving toward a more formal, dressed-up look overall that contrasts the informal 90's look. The heroine chic look was in for alot of females in the 90's too.

I think movies like Clueless and shows like All That are a good indicator of the 90's fashion sense. Oh yeah, the jheri curl was worn by so-called hardcore gangster's in the 90's too(Ice Cube).

Written By: Emman on 12/29/10 at 10:46 pm

If I were making a film during that time period, I would have it set in Southern California-1995, it would be about two Beavis and Butthead-like slackers ;D.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/10 at 6:56 am

In a perfect world, 90's nostalgia wouldn't start until about 2015.  :)

5 years from now?

Written By: Howard on 12/30/10 at 6:58 am

Wasn't there a film entitled I love the 70's,maybe they can make a film I Love the 90's.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/10 at 7:00 am

If I were making a film during that time period, I would have it set in Southern California-1995, it would be about two Beavis and Butthead-like slackers ;D.

Beavis And Butthead will host it.

Written By: Wobo on 09/12/17 at 8:34 pm

Welp 90s nostalgia has already started should've been warned about the "90s kids"

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 09/12/17 at 10:54 pm

Here's one:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/916bKksDZYL._SY445_.jpg

The To Do List

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/13/17 at 7:39 am

I'm just sitting here waiting for 90s nostalgia to end. All it has created so far were "90s kid" elitists, bad nostalgia pandering tv shows/movie remakes, and it being part of the reason why new pop culture isn't made as often. I'd say to get rid of 90s nostalgia at this point. We're far into the 2010s and didn't get much in terms of quality 90s revivals. Lay it to rest.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/13/17 at 11:11 am

I'm just sitting here waiting for 90s nostalgia to end. All it has created so far were "90s kid" elitists, bad nostalgia pandering tv shows/movie remakes, and it being part of the reason why new pop culture isn't made as often. I'd say to get rid of 90s nostalgia at this point. We're far into the 2010s and didn't get much in terms of quality 90s revivals. Lay it to rest.

Just seeing 90s nostalgia mentioned is tiring to me. I'm ready for it to go, to. I will always have a tolerance for the late 90s though because the R&B wasn't overwhelmingly soulful by then and the Hip Hop became how I like it.

Written By: d90 on 04/26/18 at 3:38 pm

I think right now as of 2018, 2000s nostalgia is in between stages 3 and 4, 90s are in stage 4 and 80s are late stage 4.

Written By: christopher on 04/26/18 at 3:49 pm

Non-pregnant girls and women in overals. I remember one girl I fancied has orange overals in middle school. Lot’s of sunflower motives. Chicago bulls jerseys for us boys. Fashion at school was very informal and sporty up until 2003-2004 when the look was what I’d call trashy meets trendy look - hair streaks, cut jeans, etc. Now the trendy and hot girls dress more luxurious. Guys are more formal as well.

Written By: Early2002 on 04/26/18 at 6:35 pm

it already did

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/26/18 at 6:44 pm

I think right now as of 2018, 2000s nostalgia is in between stages 3 and 4, 90s are in stage 4 and 80s are late stage 4.

What are the stages?

Written By: d90 on 04/26/18 at 6:48 pm

What are the stages?

It's already happening, though it most probably has not yet reached its peak. Just do some news searches for "'90s nostalgia", "90s retro" on Google's news archive for 2010 and you'll see it's already happening, in fact I may see 2010 as the "breakthrough year" for '90s nostalgia, though I feel this year has more of a definate "current" vibe than a "nostalgic" vibe of the last few years of the '00s as mobile technology, 3D TV/movies, and some of the music is being more accepted by the mainstream crowd of the past few years. However, there is still some '80s nostalgia left this year with Hot Tub Time Machine and Glory Dayz, though I feel it is being pushed to the background, as many nostalgics of the '80s have "had their fill" over the past few years and getting tired of the same old style once again.

Technically, nostalgia for a decade can begin as early as the day after it ended, and is actually not uncommon for stuff about "a look back at the past decade". There was even a TV special called "The Fabulous Fifties" in January 1960. However, the nostalgic interpretation changes over time, with the '50s by far the best example, as what later became known as the "Fifties" since around 1972 generally extended up to the JFK assassination in Nov. 1963, and usually a set of several notable popular releases allows a decade to be accepted as "culturally nostalgic". 1972 is a good example as Crocodile Rock, the musical Grease, a Chuck Berry #1 hit, American Graffiti, and the first "Oldies" station all came together to really show that the "spirit of the 50s" was alive and well. The other decades haven't been quite as clear with stuff generally "phasing in" over a few years.

Also, nostalgia for a decade usually becomes less pure and more anachronistic over time. For instance a pin-up subculture currently mixes '50s pin-up dresses with certain furniture and classic cars with more contemporary stuff like tatoos and techno music. I feel there are several phases in the lifespan of a nostalgic decade.

1. Right around the time the decade ends, some reflections on how the just-ended decade changed society. Mostly literal and very pure, and often with a cynical tone. For instance Time's "decade from hell" just last year gave readers that "phew" or enough of that feeling. This leads to:
2. The backlash.
3. A subculture "discovers" how cool certain stuff of a decade were and how it is so much better than current stuff.
4. The decade becomes commercialized in the form of comebacks, reunions, musicals about that decade, media about that decade, and an increase in popularity of the "oldies of that time". Still fairly respectable to the actual decade, with some minor modifications for the present. This is the period most associated with "when was that decade's nostalgic peak?"
5. Nostalgia becomes more niche through books/movies relating to a subject of that era, plus nostalgia increasingly becomes "inspired by (insert decade) with a current twist". Anachronism/historical revisionism becomes a factor.
6. Nostalgia for that era is no longer mainstream, being relegated to the demographic no longer friendly to most advertisers. Oldies/classic movies playlists dwindle and eventually disappear altogether. Mixing stuff from that decade with current stuff is now 100% acceptable, leaving the pure stuff to special "collector's editions" and museums.
7. Post-nostalgic: This era is now completely under the hands of the history books rather than personal memories. Go to the library/eBay/antique shop if you want to try to "live" that era.

Basically, 2000 and early 2001 was stage 1 for '90s nostalgia, as then we were reflecting on the changes of the '90s and the Clinton era and this basically continued until just before 9/11. Stage 2 was late 2001-2007 where pretty much anything '90s, such as CD players and Teen Pop bands were uncool, though lots of watered-down 1999 stuff prevailed into the mid-00s. We are probably finishing up Stage 3 right now (2008-2010), as the subcultures about different '90s things will soon begin the commercialization of that decade to the mainstream. I feel 2011 and the rest of the '10s will be full-blown 4 with the Backstreet Boys reunion and the 20th anniversary of Nevermind. As for the other decades, the '00s are currently at stage 2, the '80s are currently between 4 and 5, the '70s are currently at stage 5, the '60s between 5 and 6, the '50s at late stage 6, and everything earlier at stage 7.

As part of what part of the '90s gets nostalgic, I think we'll probably see an even mix actually, with Teen Pop era songs followed by Grunge era songs not uncommon on certain '90s stations (this is true on XM's 90s on 9). I feel that the Eurodance hits are quickly moving into "oldies" status now that a new wave of euro-techno pop artists has surfaced. However, many people have saved their stuff from the '90s and are still found in basements/closests/garages, so eBay rather than re-releases will be the way to experience stuff from that era. But '90s nostalgia on certain fronts such as TV and movies will be different than other decades in terms of reruns, as much of the material is already readily available, given that tv shows on DVD started coming out just as the '90s ended and many recent favorites were also released.

Check for new replies or respond here...