inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think will define the 2010s fashion-wise?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/06/10 at 7:47 am

What clothes, hairstyles, odd little trends, etc do you think will come to define at the very least the next few years in terms of fashion? Will we continue with the very bland Jeans + T-Shirt mix that's been around since the '60s, will we get a little more formal or what?

What about some fads? For example, the 70s had long sideburns, long hair, three piece suits, bell bottoms, beards and mustaches, frilled tuxedos, Disco suits and Butterfly Collar shirts, Platform shoes, Bermuda shorts and Hot Pants, and the Glam look, as well as the Hippie look becoming more mainstream in some aspects and fading out in others.

The '80s had muscle shirts, shorter hair (for men), teased hair for women, designer stubble, Prep Look, Thriller Look, thick mustaches (with beards greatly declining in popularity) due to Magnum PI, mullets, The New Romantic look, Short Shorts, double breasted suits, Aviator glasses, shoulder pads for women, some flannel in the part of the decade as well as ripped jeans, band t-shirts, etc, as well as the Hair Metal and Heavy Metal, leather look.

The 90's the Rachel Haircut, Double Denim, Flannel, Parachute Pants, Oval Eyeglases, Revival of '60s clothes, "Flare" pants, and the early-mid 90's "Hip Hop" look, tracksuits in the early '90s, the "Grunge" look, long hair once again for men, ponytails for men, earrings for men, piercings and tattoos for women rising, goatees, polo shirts in the latter part of the decade and the "Prep" look, thinner collared suits and single breasted suits, thin ties, the "Goth" look.

What do you think will define the 2010s in fashion, and what about fads?

Myself, feel like the last 2-3 years have been a "Do anything you like" period as far as fashion at least. I've seen everything from Afros, long sideburns, large 90's style eyeglasses, flannel, and ripped jeans. At least as far as fashion goes, it feels like the last few years have been this odd, very individualistic mix of almost all recent decades past. I'd say this decade, as far as fashion anyway, will probably be as free and wild as the 1970s.

Subject: Re: What do you think will define the 2010s fashion-wise?

Written By: Shiv on 12/06/10 at 8:40 am

Tight clothes, neon, and a more dressed up formal look.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/10 at 8:42 am

A lot of baggy clothes.

Written By: Shiv on 12/06/10 at 8:54 am

A lot of baggy clothes.

Wasnt that more 90s-00s? The baggy look has been waning over the last few years

Written By: Howard on 12/06/10 at 9:26 am

Wasnt that more 90s-00s? The baggy look has been waning over the last few years

I've been seeing it more often on the streets.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/10 at 3:48 pm

I've been seeing it more often on the streets.

I would have to agree with Howard on this one.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/10 at 3:52 pm

I would have to agree with Howard on this one.

I'm also seeing tight jeans on women and more of those muffin tops.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/06/10 at 3:58 pm

Hard to predict, but I would say neon tight clothes in the earlier part of the decade(up to 2013 maybe) and baggy, dark, plain shirts with ripped up jeans in the latter part when a backlash begins on the "tight neon phenomenom". Kind of like a Slacker fashion.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/06/10 at 4:51 pm

I wish we'd go back to a more formal state of dress.

Written By: Emman on 12/06/10 at 5:00 pm

The fashions are heading in that direction actually, 2010 has had a weird mix of a vague dark cool 40's style(scarves, small fitting vests, boots, fedarra)  mixed with a neon indie rap look.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/06/10 at 9:11 pm

This is actually quite possible.  It actually seemed like things would be going in that direction in the early '00s before emo took over.  I was in high school at the time and from the late 2000 to around 2003, baggy jeans and thug wear were out and everybody dressed very preppy, and short hairstyles were the thing.  Then skater fashion hit big in late 2003 which had turned into emo by 2005.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/06/10 at 10:14 pm

I think it's possible that people will start to dress a lot classier. If you noticed, a lot of the fashion for young women was pretty skanky during much of the '00s; but now it seems that women are taking a classier, more feminine approach to fashion.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/07/10 at 4:48 am

The fashions are heading in that direction actually, 2010 has had a weird mix of a vague dark cool 40's style(scarves, small fitting vests, boots, fedarra)  mixed with a neon indie rap look.

I wonder if we'll ever be as formal as the 1950's ever again.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/10 at 7:02 am

I agree.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/10 at 7:03 am

I wonder if we'll ever be as formal as the 1950's ever again.

the waitress look?  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...