inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will rock music ever be prominent again?

Written By: Emman on 12/12/10 at 3:03 pm

Rock music has been in a trend of ever decreasing influence in pop culture(starting in the 90's), it really lost it's prominence around 2003/2004 when urban culture exploded. Urban culture and music basically defined the 00's in the US(which leaves me irritated when people claim the 00's had no identity), people who associate the 90's heavily with the 00's do so because of post-grunge. But even during the blingy urban 00's some rock music was still popular on Top 40. Now at the beginning of the 10's, it is very hard to spot even a single rock song on Top 40, it seems that the trend music is heading towards is an international/globalized scence(euro-techno), will this trend continue in 2011 and beyond? Will rock music reinvent itself or will it become the way of jazz, it genuinely seems hip-hop and electronica are becoming the prominent musical genres. Do you think 2011 will usher in a new era of music considering the last mainstream rock genres in the US, emo and post-grunge, basically died in 2010(even hip-hop is faltering). What will replace rock music, will hip-hop reinvent itself from the 00's style, will this be the decade electronica finally becomes mainstream in the US?

Subject: Re: Will rock music ever be prominent again?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/12/10 at 5:05 pm

Rock music has been in a trend of ever decreasing influence in pop culture(starting in the 90's), it really lost it's prominence around 2003/2004 when urban culture exploded. Urban culture and music basically defined the 00's in the US(which leaves me irritated when people claim the 00's had no identity), people who associate the 90's heavily with the 00's do so because of post-grunge. But even during the blingy urban 00's some rock music was still popular on Top 40. Now at the beginning of the 10's, it is very hard to spot even a single rock song on Top 40, it seems that the trend music is heading towards is an international/globalized scence(euro-techno), will this trend continue in 2011 and beyond? Will rock music reinvent itself or will it become the way of jazz, it genuinely seems hip-hop and electronica are becoming the prominent musical genres. Do you think 2011 will usher in a new era of music considering the last mainstream rock genres in the US, emo and post-grunge, basically died in 2010(even hip-hop is faltering). What will replace rock music, will hip-hop reinvent itself from the 00's style, will this be the decade electronica finally becomes mainstream in the US?

The decade is still fresh and new. But I don't see a European sound becoming popular in the US. There's a new song by a producer name Edward Maya and though a lot of people like it, I don't see it getting airplay. Why? Because it's simply too European for America's taste! For some reason it's being filtered out by American radio dj's. But I'm guessing so I could be wrong though.

I do see European influences this decade, but there's a hip hop element to it and it's not pure European techno.

I see hip hop and rap still being big at least for the first half of the decade and I think in the future we might not have a mainstream anymore and people might be listening to their own music in the future. Who knows?! Maybe music will lean towards more independent record companies in the future.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/12/10 at 5:17 pm

The decade is still fresh and new. But I don't see a European sound becoming popular in the US. There's a new song by a producer name Edward Maya and though a lot of people like it, I don't see it getting airplay. Why? Because it's simply too European for America's taste! For some reason it's being filtered out by American radio dj's. But I'm guessing so I could be wrong though.

I do see European influences this decade, but there's a hip hop element to it and it's not pure European techno.

I see hip hop and rap still being big at least for the first half of the decade and I think in the future we might not have a mainstream anymore and people might be listening to their own music in the future. Who knows?! Maybe music will lean towards more independent record companies in the future.

That song's already got a lot of airplay, right now it is #24 on the hot 100 airplay and rising big atm which is pretty surprising but it is actually becoming a big airplay hit. Though I can't say I see most American music sounding like that, it's probably an oddball hit though who knows. I don't see rap as the dominant genre anymore though it's still like 2nd to electropop which is the Kesha, Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taio Cruz, Enrique Iglesias, Far East Movement, Mike Posner stuff.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/12/10 at 5:34 pm

I doubt Rock will become relevant agin, until some of the Alternative/Modern Rock radio stations start playing something other than Pop Punk and crap generic Post-Grunge. Rock needs a new identity. Early Emo (Sunny Day Real Estate, Fugazi) had potential to conquer Rock, but it fell apart on itself when it evolved into a Blink-182 influenced whiny sound and when Rich kids decided that they hate their lives because "people don't understand". Once again we are stuck with Post-Grunge bands who boring and generic. The great thing about about the original Seattle Grunge Rock, is that it was fresh and destroyed the old and generic Hair Metal. Rock music got the kick in the ass it needed in 1991 when countless numbers of Alternative Rock albums skyrocketed to the top of the charts. As Poison and Motley Crue were falling apart, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were releasing classic albums. Rock had reinvented itself. Unfortuntaely, Rock really hasn't reinvented itself like that since 1991. Did we have Britpop emerge in 1995? Yes, but it wasn't as big as Grunge in the 90s (at least in America). Did a bunch of Garage Rock bands emerge in 2001? Yes, but they were revival bands and didn't change pop culture like other genres. Did a bunch of New Wavey/Post-Punk bands make it big in the mid 00s? Yes, but like Garage Rock they were revivals and didn't have a huge effect in pop culture.  What Rock music needs now, is a new scene to represent Rock for the new generation. Not the same old Post-Grunge or Pop Punk sound. Just something new.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/13/10 at 6:04 am

Rock 'n' Roll is so 15 minutes ago.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 6:29 am

I miss the Rock and Roll from the 1980's,The Romantics,Bon Jovi,Quiet Riot and Whitesnake.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/10 at 11:20 am

I miss the Rock and Roll from the 1980's,The Romantics,Bon Jovi,Quiet Riot and Whitesnake.

I like that kind of music too.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/10 at 11:21 am

Rock 'n' Roll is so 15 minutes ago.

More like so 15 years ago!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/10 at 2:08 pm

I am quite surprised Edward Maya made it into the North American charts.  It had already been a hit twice here in Canada in two different versions shortly before it even entered the US chart.  'Stereo Love' was first a European hit back in 2009.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/13/10 at 4:16 pm

Then if so...Danny and the Juniors just LIED to us!...

phKqUk_Iyyk

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/13/10 at 6:03 pm

I actually predict the 2020s. It will form as a backlash against electropop.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 7:47 pm

I like that kind of music too.  8)

That was my kind of music,kids today don't know how it felt to live the 80's rock and roll era. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/13/10 at 7:52 pm

Let's not forget the Georgia Satellites too.  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 8:30 pm

Let's not forget the Georgia Satellites too.   8)

What was that hit called? Keep Your Hands To Yourself? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/10 at 10:46 pm

Rock music hasn't proclaimed anything since The Clash, IMGA.  Kurt Cobain didn't cut it, not like Elvis, Hendrix, The Beatles, or U2.  Sex, drugs, and iconoclasm are great, but you have to come up with an Icon, your own counterculture dies. 

I suspect music will vary more locally once again when cultures return to folkways post-cheap oil. 

I don't mean music you play clubs for a few years until you can get a contract, but discrete "folk" music of any given region.  In other words you won't walk out into the tobacco barns and hear Motley Crue records.
8)

Written By: Emman on 12/13/10 at 11:32 pm

Rock music hasn't proclaimed anything since The Clash, IMGA.  Kurt Cobain didn't cut it, not like Elvis, Hendrix, The Beatles, or U2.  Sex, drugs, and iconoclasm are great, but you have to come up with an Icon, your own counterculture dies. 

I suspect music will vary more locally once again when cultures return to folkways post-cheap oil. 
I don't mean music you play clubs for a few years until you can get a contract, but discrete "folk" music of any given region.  In other words you won't walk out into the tobacco barns and hear Motley Crue records.
8)

So do you think this is the beginning of the end of mass pop culture?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/10 at 11:57 pm

If mass production of petrochemicals and electronic circuitry become prohibitively expensive, you're going to have much more local live entertainment.  So yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/10 at 12:57 am

If mass production of petrochemicals and electronic circuitry become prohibitively expensive, you're going to have much more local live entertainment.  So yes.

Plus with Ipods and the internet, people are listening to different things on their own.  :(

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/14/10 at 1:47 am

I agree. I'd go further to say that as the world becomes more globalized, there won't be a truly discernable, understandable Pop Culture in the way it was in decades past.
What I mean is...You won't be able to pin down trends as being universal or near so in the coming times. This decade kind of feels like an 'Everything is cool' decade so far. Commercial music seems to be dying out in the traditional sense due to downloads and whatnot; Trends from every decade have returned in some quarters without the scorn they might have merited in previous times. It just seems like everything is OK, if that makes sense.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/10 at 6:52 am

Plus with Ipods and the internet, people are listening to different things on their own.  :(

Exactly.

Written By: Shiv on 12/14/10 at 7:38 pm

Back on topic...I think the only way for rock to survive in the 10s is to go electronic. Synths, synths synths. It might seem blasphemous, but that's what's in. It's time to let go of the the whole 90s psuedo-grunge thing.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/14/10 at 7:47 pm

Back on topic...I think the only way for rock to survive in the 10s is to go electronic. Synths, synths synths. It might seem blasphemous, but that's what's in. It's time to let go of the the whole 90s psuedo-grunge thing.
Possibly. Phoenix had a couple #1 hits on the Alternative Rock charts last summer. Radiohead also has electronic influences too. I also wouldn't be suprised if some kind of Indie Rock genre hits the mainstream. Tough to predict since there are a kagillion Indie genres.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/14/10 at 7:57 pm

Neon Trees is pretty electronic too, they were really successful this year.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/10 at 7:57 pm

Have you heard Linkin Park's new song?

Written By: Emman on 12/14/10 at 8:26 pm

Possibly. Phoenix had a couple #1 hits on the Alternative Rock charts last summer. Radiohead also has electronic influences too. I also wouldn't be suprised if some kind of Indie Rock genre hits the mainstream. Tough to predict since there are a kagillion Indie genres.

This is kind of the idea I had in mind, I don't know whether the indie music would be definite rock though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 9:08 pm

Rock has rotted in its foundations. 

Linkin Park? 

Sorry, that ain't gonna cut it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad1.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/10 at 9:32 pm

Rock has rotted in its foundations. 

Linkin Park? 

Sorry, that ain't gonna cut it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad1.gif

I don't think the music industry will ever be as good as it was again in the past. I think it's past its peak!

Written By: tnf on 12/15/10 at 1:07 am

Back on topic...I think the only way for rock to survive in the 10s is to go electronic. Synths, synths synths. It might seem blasphemous, but that's what's in.

I know you're possibly right, but please, nóóóóó.  :\'(

I'm rooting for rock music with ska and/or funk influences, but at the same time, I'm sure it's not the right time for such music yet.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/10 at 6:44 am

I don't think the music industry will ever be as good as it was again in the past. I think it's past its peak!

and it's time to move on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/10 at 8:17 pm

Synths? Blasphemous?  Those were the days, my friend, those were the days --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KatUo59bGQI

"Some Great Reward" was the first proper Depeche Mode album I bought.  That was the beginning of the school year in 1984.  They were already stars in the UK and overseas.  They had even been on MTV!  It wasn't until 1984 that suburban American kids like me got DM fever.  My only frame of reference was Kraftwerk, who were only marginally considered a "rock" group.  DM deftly marketed themselves as rock stars with no guitars.  I liked that.  The electric guitar was too dominant in popular music.  I felt a little betrayed when DM started using electric guitars in 1987-88.  I mean, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder knew how to play electric guitar, but I preferred the no-guitars principle.  DM is also one of the key influences in my musical tastes as they developed over the past quarter century. 

Written By: Howard on 12/15/10 at 8:19 pm

Synths? Blasphemous?  Those were the days, my friend, those were the days --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KatUo59bGQI

"Some Great Reward" was the first proper Depeche Mode album I bought.  That was the beginning of the school year in 1984.  They were already stars in the UK and overseas.  They had even been on MTV!  It wasn't until 1984 that suburban American kids like me got DM fever.  My only frame of reference was Kraftwerk, who were only marginally considered a "rock" group.  DM deftly marketed themselves as rock stars with no guitars.  I liked that.  The electric guitar was too dominant in popular music.  I felt a little betrayed when DM started using electric guitars in 1987-88.  I mean, Martin Gore and Alan Wilder knew how to play electric guitar, but I preferred the no-guitars principle.  DM is also one of the key influences in my musical tastes as they developed over the past quarter century. 

I remember Depeche Mode.

Written By: sonikuu on 12/16/10 at 3:23 am

It could become prominent again.  I wouldn't count it out as its gone through lows in popularity before.  However, rock music has several problems holding it back:

1.  Failure of mainstream rock to evolve and innovate
Take a listen to the mainstream rap and pop music from five years ago.  It already sounds dated because the genre's evolved and changed with the times.  Now take a listen to rock music from five years ago.  With the notable exception of Emo (which sounds dated now as well), it is dated, but less so than rap and pop music.  Rap and pop has changed noticeably over the years, rock music has evolved less so.

2.  Indie as the "next big thing"
Indie Rock is widely hailed to be the "next big thing" in rock music.  Then again, its been hailed to be the next big thing for like three years now.  In any case, Indie Rock and hipsters in general make it a point to be anti-mainstream.  To hipsters, becoming mainstream is equated to selling out.  When the next big thing in rock music makes it a point to AVOID mass popularity, then you have a problem when it comes to rock music's popularity.  We'll see soon if Indie Rock gets their own version of Nirvana (big mainstream success despite Kurt Cobain's hatred of the mainstream) or not.

3.  Rock fans themselves
Personal experience has taught me that rock fans are:
- less interested in the mainstream scene, listening to the radio, MTV, etc.
- more likely to download illegally.  This is why Post-Grunge lasted so long on the music charts.  Post-Grunge lost popularity with Gen Y a long time ago.  I graduated in 2007 and didn't know anyone who liked Nickelback or Hinder.  That was popular with an older audience who was more likely to download legally.
- more interested in older music than other music fans.  Some rap fans or pop fans may like older music, but the vast majority of younger ones like modern stuff.  By way of comparison, a very large proportion of rock fans are interested in older music.  More interest in older music means less consumption of newer music.

These are the three main reasons why rock music has lost popularity in the mainstream.  Can rock music become relevant once again?  Sure, it can.  It will just require some drastic changing.

Written By: joeman on 12/16/10 at 8:38 am

There are a few good new bands that I am currently listening to:

Sick Puppies
Cage the Elephant
Black Keys
Kings of Leon
SilverSun Pickups

However, there isn't really a rock movement in a long time.  I think it is because Clear Channel is still stuck in the fact that they believe everyone is still listening to music as if it was still 2001.  This isn't the case and teenagers today are listening to music, as sonikuu said, through other forms of media outlet. 

Written By: Shiv on 12/16/10 at 9:54 am

It could become prominent again.  I wouldn't count it out as its gone through lows in popularity before.  However, rock music has several problems holding it back:

Take a listen to the mainstream rap and pop music from five years ago.  It already sounds dated because the genre's evolved and changed with the times.  Now take a listen to rock music from five years ago.  With the notable exception of Emo (which sounds dated now as well), it is dated, but less so than rap and pop music.  Rap and pop has changed noticeably over the years, rock music has evolved less so.

Indie Rock is widely hailed to be the "next big thing" in rock music.  Then again, its been hailed to be the next big thing for like three years now.  In any case, Indie Rock and hipsters in general make it a point to be anti-mainstream.  To hipsters, becoming mainstream is equated to selling out.  When the next big thing in rock music makes it a point to AVOID mass popularity, then you have a problem when it comes to rock music's popularity.  We'll see soon if Indie Rock gets their own version of Nirvana (big mainstream success despite Kurt Cobain's hatred of the mainstream) or not.

3.  Rock fans themselves
- less interested in the mainstream scene, listening to the radio, MTV, etc.
- more likely to download illegally.  This is why Post-Grunge lasted so long on the music charts.  Post-Grunge lost popularity with Gen Y a long time ago.  I graduated in 2007 and didn't know anyone who liked Nickelback or Hinder.  That was popular with an older audience who was more likely to download legally.
- more interested in older music than other music fans.  Some rap fans or pop fans may like older music, but the vast majority of younger ones like modern stuff.  By way of comparison, a very large proportion of rock fans are interested in older music.  More interest in older music means less consumption of newer music.

These are the three main reasons why rock music has lost popularity in the mainstream.  Can rock music become relevant once again?  Sure, it can.  It will just require some drastic changing.

Best post in the thread in my opinion.

Indie rock is gradually becoming popular with the mainstream, especially since 2007. Only time will tell if it becomes the dominant rock genre in the 10s. I think it will, as emo and post-grunge don't seem to have much of future.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/16/10 at 2:47 pm

Yeah. I am starting to hear Indie Rock getting more time on the radio, as Post-Grunge and Alternative Metal groups start to decline

Written By: tv on 12/16/10 at 3:37 pm

3.  Rock fans themselves
- less interested in the mainstream scene, listening to the radio, MTV, etc..

To highlight your point number 1 yeah but rap is not the monster popularity wise it was from 2003-early 2006 and 2007-mid 2008. Its true that that era of rap does sound dated though.

To highlight your point on point #2 that you made yeah rock fans don't like when a band becomes mainstream. I don't know where this came from but I think it came from how mainstream and Top 40 played hair metal alot then after the hair metal era ended rock fans didn't like bands becoming mainstream. This sort of happened back in the early 90's when  hardcore hip-hop fans didn't like rappers (see MC Hammer)becoming mainstream then after the (Puffy and Mase Shiny Suit era of 1997-1998) hard-core hip-hop fans didn't mind rappers becoming mainstream. There was still stuff like Queen Latifah and Salt N' Pepa getting Top 40 airplay in 1993 or 1994 though I think.

To your point #3 I was a rock fan in the 90's(well mid 90's) and I used to listen mainstream music like Euro-Dance back then because it was popular. Yeah post-grunge lost popularity with  maybe late Gen Yers born from 1991 on. Post-Grunge was pretty popular with early Gen Yers(1982-1987 born maybe.) As for rap fans I followed rap from about 2002-2005 and its sucked since mid 2005 in my opinion. MTV is not a music channel anymore its a reality TV channel. As for downloading I;m sure rap fans download I mean look at how a rap album slides sales wise from its 1st week debut to its  2nd week of sales nowadays. True intersst in older music limits consuming newer music.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/10 at 11:01 pm

The rock era was from 1955 to 1995. And what a great era it was!

Written By: sonikuu on 12/17/10 at 1:39 am

To highlight your point number 1 yeah but rap is not the monster popularity wise it was from 2003-early 2006 and 2007-mid 2008. Its true that that era of rap does sound dated though.

To highlight your point on point #2 that you made yeah rock fans don't like when a band becomes mainstream. I don't know where this came from but I think it came from how mainstream and Top 40 played hair metal alot then after the hair metal era ended rock fans didn't like bands becoming mainstream. This sort of happened back in the early 90's when  hardcore hip-hop fans didn't like rappers (see MC Hammer)becoming mainstream then after the (Puffy and Mase Shiny Suit era of 1997-1998) hard-core hip-hop fans didn't mind rappers becoming mainstream. There was still stuff like Queen Latifah and Salt N' Pepa getting Top 40 airplay in 1993 or 1994 though I think.

To your point #3 I was a rock fan in the 90's(well mid 90's) and I used to listen mainstream music like Euro-Dance back then because it was popular. Yeah post-grunge lost popularity with  maybe late Gen Yers born from 1991 on. Post-Grunge was pretty popular with early Gen Yers(1982-1987 born maybe.) As for rap fans I followed rap from about 2002-2005 and its sucked since mid 2005 in my opinion. MTV is not a music channel anymore its a reality TV channel. As for downloading I;m sure rap fans download I mean look at how a rap album slides sales wise from its 1st week debut to its  2nd week of sales nowadays. True intersst in older music limits consuming newer music.

True, Post-Grunge was still pretty popular with the early Gen Yers.  As an 89er, I'd say the last group to have an attachment to Post-Grunge was the high school class of 2004.  By the time the class of 2005 graduated, it was starting to be branded as "loser music" along with Nu Metal.  Nu Metal, by the way, wound up becoming the ultimate "loser music" genre by the midpoint of my high school years.  From what I understand, the loser genre is now Emo.

Good point about the Hair Metal thing.  After Hair Metal came Alternative Rock, whose whole original purpose was to be an alternative to the mainstream, hence the name.  Though that got commercialized after a while, thus not making it much of an alternative, I definitely think that mentality had a lasting impact in some ways.  

And yeah, rap has declined in popularity, though its still more popular than rock is these days.  That said, I'd actually say I like the rap of 2010 more than the rap of, say, 2007, with the notable exception of crap like Waka Flocka Flame.  Then again, after Snap music trash like Soulja Boy, it was hard to get any worse.  Heck, I'd say the non-rock mainstream music scene in general has improved in quality over the past two years.  And yeah, as you hint at, Rap music did decline in popularity throughout most of 2006 and even into early 2007.  That was when more dance Timbaland-Justin Timberlake-Nelly Furtado type of music was getting popular.  By late spring (around when I graduated) things were slowly going back towards rap again and then in mid-07 T-Pain, Soulja Boy, and them burst onto the scene.  I suppose mid-2006 to the first half of 2007 was a foreshadowing of what was to come near the close of the decade.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/10 at 6:44 am

Yes 40 years of Rock And Roll.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/10 at 9:56 am

Why 1995 as the cut-off year?
???

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/10 at 10:56 am

Why 1995 as the cut-off year?
???

It was the last time it was really huge! I think after that it was never as big again! But then again I was 6 in 1995.  ;D

Written By: joeman on 12/17/10 at 11:09 am

True, Post-Grunge was still pretty popular with the early Gen Yers.  As an 89er, I'd say the last group to have an attachment to Post-Grunge was the high school class of 2004.  By the time the class of 2005 graduated, it was starting to be branded as "loser music" along with Nu Metal.  Nu Metal, by the way, wound up becoming the ultimate "loser music" genre by the midpoint of my high school years.  From what I understand, the loser genre is now Emo.

Is there even a rock genre that kids listen to today?  I believe 30 Seconds to Mars is still popular with kids, as I see them still touring around(booked as headline band of other bands full of post-grunge and nu-metal ???)

Written By: Shiv on 12/17/10 at 12:09 pm

I'm not too sure what kind of rock middle school and high school kids listen to now. Indie rock maybe? My sister is 15 and listens to a lot of indie rock but I don't know if she's in the majority or not.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/17/10 at 1:54 pm

I'm not too sure what kind of rock middle school and high school kids listen to now. Indie rock maybe? My sister is 15 and listens to a lot of indie rock but I don't know if she's in the majority or not.

As a high schooler, I would say my school listens to newer Post-Grunge and Indie Rock(if anything Rock oriented). Indie Rock is definitly getting bigger. MGMT, Aracde Fire, Modest Mouse, and other Indie bands are MUCH more popular than Nickelback or Creed.

Written By: Shiv on 12/17/10 at 2:06 pm

When I was in high school ('05-'09) I dont remember post-grunge being too popular. I remember a girl in my chemistry class wearing a Hinder shirt in 2007 though. Emo/pop-punk was huge...Fall out boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco, Green Day, Boys Like Girls, etc.  Classic rock was really popular too, actually (my and most of my friends listened to mainly classic rock in high school...we wern't fans of the current music at the time). I dont remember indie rock being all that popular in my high school until later on (like 2008 or 09)

Written By: sonikuu on 12/17/10 at 3:39 pm

When I was in high school ('05-'09) I dont remember post-grunge being too popular. I remember a girl in my chemistry class wearing a Hinder shirt in 2007 though. Emo/pop-punk was huge...Fall out boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco, Green Day, Boys Like Girls, etc.  Classic rock was really popular too, actually (my and most of my friends listened to mainly classic rock in high school...we wern't fans of the current music at the time). I dont remember indie rock being all that popular in my high school until later on (like 2008 or 09)

I was a high schooler of the mid-00s as I graduated in 2007.  Emo was easily the most popular rock genre at my school.  A lot of the popular crowd actually listened to both Rap and Emo.  Was anyone else's school like this?  I always got the impression online from other people that other schools had a greater divide between the emo kids and the preppies than my school did.  Pop-punk still had some popularity in 2004, but in 2005 they all switched to Emo and Pop-Emo.  I consider stuff like 30 Seconds to Mars and My Chemical Romance to be Emo while Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are Pop-Emo.  Senior year they started to throw in some semi-dancey stuff like Justin Timberlake too. 

Yeah, all the groups you mentioned were really popular here except for Boys Like Girls, who didn't get mainstream until after I already graduated.  Classic Rock had some fans among the "cool crowd" too, though they usually listened to both Emo and Classic Rock.  A lot of jocks liked Rap.  In my weight training class I had for one year, the students got to choose the music and the jocks chose Rap.  I guess it fit right in with the macho image.  Indie Rock was still pretty obscure when I graduated.

Written By: tv on 12/17/10 at 4:19 pm

It was the last time it was really huge! I think after that it was never as big again! But then again I was 6 in 1995.  ;D
What? "Nu-Metal" was huge from about mid 1998-2002.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/17/10 at 5:02 pm

I was in high school from 2001 to 2005, I remember when I started post grunge, nu metal and pop punk was popular. Emo came in as I was leaving, I never really liked it much though a few songs are ok. I remember in this one class they let us have the radio on sometimes, and the guys would always have the rock station on. I think rock was still very big in the early '00s and pretty big in the mid '00s even, it's recently that it's really declined but it could still come back maybe. I have a love hate relationship with rap, though mostly I just hated the snap music stuff and most other hip-hop is fine.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/10 at 7:05 pm

I think after 1995,we had grunge music like loud heavy metal.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/10 at 8:21 pm

I think after 1995,we had grunge music like loud heavy metal.

Aaaaahh, I see. Rock isn't dead, just not completely passionately alive!

Written By: Shiv on 12/17/10 at 8:58 pm

I think rock was still very big in the early '00s and pretty big in the mid '00s even, it's recently that it's really declined but it could still come back maybe.

It's only been since 2008 or so where rock has dramatically slid off the charts...up until then emo and post-grunge still received heavy top 40 airplay. The focus right now is electronica and dance-pop, plain and simple. Rock and rap have both taken a backseat to it for the time being.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/10 at 9:22 pm

Aaaaahh, I see. Rock isn't dead, just not completely passionately alive!

When Mick and Keith finally croak, you can call a code blue on rock!
8)

Written By: Howard on 12/18/10 at 6:40 am

When Mick and Keith finally croak, you can call a code blue on rock!
8)

Mick will rock till he's 100.

Written By: Creeder on 12/18/10 at 2:19 pm

I can't agree with you.
Rock was huge in early 00's with post-grunge bands such as Creed, Matchbox 20, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Staind, Nickelback selling millions of albums and receiving heavy airplay on top 40. And also nu metal - Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were institutions. I think rock declined after 2009... and 2010 is the worst year for rock since 1955. I just can't believe there's no rock hit over a year now.
I blame electronica for everything! >:(

Written By: RG1995 on 12/18/10 at 2:33 pm

I can't agree with you.
Rock was huge in early 00's with post-grunge bands such as Creed, Matchbox 20, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Staind, Nickelback selling millions of albums and receiving heavy airplay on top 40. And also nu metal - Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were institutions. I think rock declined after 2009... and 2010 is the worst year for rock since 1955. I just can't believe there's no rock hit over a year now.
Just because Rock gets no airplay on Top 40 radio doesn't mean 2010 is the worse year ever for Rock music. 2010 may actually be looked upon as a necessary turning point for Rock. Rock music in the 2000s were led by Post-Grunge, Pop Punk, Emo, and the occasionional Post-Punk/New Wave revival hit. Hell, Post-Grunge and Pop Punk have been popular since 1995. 2009 and 2010 has seen all of these genres either die or significantly lose popularity.

Written By: Creeder on 12/18/10 at 2:51 pm

Just because Rock gets no airplay on Top 40 radio doesn't mean 2010 is the worse year ever for Rock music. 2010 may actually be looked upon as a necessary turning point for Rock. Rock music in the 2000s were led by Post-Grunge, Pop Punk, Emo, and the occasionional Post-Punk/New Wave revival hit. Hell, Post-Grunge and Pop Punk have been popular since 1995. 2009 and 2010 has seen all of these genres either die or significantly lose popularity.

Yeah, I forgot pop punk - also good rock genre.
Maybe you have a point. 10+ years is a long time for one genre, but damn it, I love rock and maybe because lately I have been listening to late 90's/early 00's music and I have big nostalgia for those great times.
Anyway... maybe the next big thing will be the southern indie sound of Kings of Leon and electronic rock like Owl City.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/10 at 5:31 pm

People think I know every band out there because I work for a radio station.  There's a vast difference between heard and heard of.  I've heard of every half-assed alternative band since 1993.  I frequently can't even connect the band with the song.  It all blurs together.
::)

Written By: Howard on 12/18/10 at 7:05 pm

People think I know every band out there because I work for a radio station.  There's a vast difference between heard and heard of.  I've heard of every half-assed alternative band since 1993.  I frequently can't even connect the band with the song.  It all blurs together.

You're a DJ?  ???

Written By: bchris02 on 12/19/10 at 4:45 pm

I was in high school from 2001 to 2005, I remember when I started post grunge, nu metal and pop punk was popular. Emo came in as I was leaving, I never really liked it much though a few songs are ok. I remember in this one class they let us have the radio on sometimes, and the guys would always have the rock station on. I think rock was still very big in the early '00s and pretty big in the mid '00s even, it's recently that it's really declined but it could still come back maybe. I have a love hate relationship with rap, though mostly I just hated the snap music stuff and most other hip-hop is fine.

Having graduated in 2004, I graduated at the height of the post-grunge period.  True emo had not hit the scene yet. The song "Photograph" by Nickelback in 2005 was in my opinion was the turning point.  From then on the genre went into decline until almost disappearing completely in 2010. Even 2009 had a few post-grunge hits like "No Surprises" by Daughtry and "Love Drunk" by Boys Like Girls plus a couple by Hinder and 3 Doors Down.  Daughtry tried to break in with "September" this year but it appears to have flopped.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/10 at 5:03 pm

Having graduated in 2004, I graduated at the height of the post-grunge period.  True emo had not hit the scene yet. The song "Photograph" by Nickelback in 2005 was in my opinion was the turning point.  From then on the genre went into decline until almost disappearing completely in 2010. Even 2009 had a few post-grunge hits like "No Surprises" by Daughtry and "Love Drunk" by Boys Like Girls plus a couple by Hinder and 3 Doors Down.  Daughtry tried to break in with "September" this year but it appears to have flopped.

Remember how huge songs like "Unwell", "When I'm Gone", "The Reason", "Someday", even something like "Headstrong" too. Oh Evanescence too, I guess they're post grunge? "Bring Me To Life" was massive. And going back to 01 you had stuff like "It's Been Awhile" or "Drive" (great songs) getting huge top 40 airplay, imagine that today when all top 40 radio sounds like freaking Kesha lol. Of course Creed was absolutely massive from 1999-2002.

Written By: Creeder on 12/19/10 at 5:29 pm

Remember how huge songs like "Unwell", "When I'm Gone", "The Reason", "Someday", even something like "Headstrong" too. Oh Evanescence too, I guess they're post grunge? "Bring Me To Life" was massive. And going back to 01 you had stuff like "It's Been Awhile" or "Drive" (great songs) getting huge top 40 airplay, imagine that today when all top 40 radio sounds like freaking Kesha lol. Of course Creed was absolutely massive from 1999-2002.

Yeah, one of the best era for rock n' roll. I wish I could relive those great times again.

Written By: joeman on 12/19/10 at 5:41 pm

So I am presuming you have heard of Toad the Wet Sprocket? :D

Written By: tv on 12/19/10 at 7:22 pm

Creed was pretty popular in 1997-1998 too. I mean "(My Own Prison"the CD) went 6 times platinum back then. I like the singles from that album but after that I didn't like them.

Yeah I was gonna say rock died go into Spring of 2003 but I forgot about "Evanesence" they were as popular as 50 Cent was. back then. Heck, Evanesence album back in 03 went as many times platinum (6x) as 50 Cents "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" album did back then.

2005 was actually a pretty good year for rock music(Green Day, NIN, Foo Fighters, The Killers, and Audioslave) all had hit songs too.

Yeah Rock was as popular as Hip Hop from 1999-early 2003 I remember. I remember "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains Of Wayne" that was a pretty big hit in early 2003 I think.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/10 at 7:33 pm

Creed was pretty popular in 1997-1998 too. I mean "(My Own Prison"the CD) went 6 times platinum back then. I like the singles from that album but after that I didn't like them.

Yeah I was gonna say rock died go into Spring of 2003 but I forgot about "Evanesence" they were as popular as 50 Cent was. back then. Heck, Evanesence album back in 03 went as many times platinum (6x) as 50 Cents "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" album did back then.

2005 was actually a pretty good year for rock music(Green Day, NIN, Foo Fighters, The Killers, and Audioslave) all had hit songs too.

Yeah I know Creed was big in 97 and 98 too, My Own Prison is actually a pretty good song I like that one and I'm not too big on Creed. I agree about 05 I remember all those doing well.

Written By: tv on 12/19/10 at 7:36 pm

Wasn't "Rock Star" by Nickleback huge in early 2006 I think it was? I remember that song.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/10 at 7:37 pm

Wasn't "Rock Star" by Nickleback huge in early 2006 I think it was? I remember that song.
'

I think Rockstar was a hit on rock radio in 2006, then it became a big pop hit in 2007.

Written By: tv on 12/19/10 at 7:38 pm

'

I think Rockstar was a hit on rock radio in 2006, then it became a big pop hit in 2007.
Oh so it was early 2007? I was mixing my years up. I used to listen to the radio in the car. I had to work in my car for like a couple years at a couple different places.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/10 at 7:45 pm

Oh so it was early 2007? I was mixing my years up. I used to listen to the radio in the car. I had to work in my car for like a couple years.

I was just looking at Billboard, Rockstar was a top 40 radio hit in the fall of 2007, and I think peaked at 6 on the hot 100. It was a mainstream rock radio number 4 hit about a year earlier in the fall of 2006.

Written By: tv on 12/19/10 at 7:47 pm

I was just looking at Billboard, Rockstar was a top 40 radio hit in the fall of 2007, and I think peaked at 6 on the hot 100. It was a mainstream rock radio number 4 hit about a year earlier in the fall of 2006.
Oh thanks Brian.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/10 at 7:53 pm

The Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers were huge throughout the 2000s too. Even like in 2007 the Foos had "The Pretender" which was a pretty large hit and "Dani California" was a major hit in 2006.

Written By: Shiv on 12/19/10 at 10:00 pm

Having graduated in 2004, I graduated at the height of the post-grunge period.  True emo had not hit the scene yet.

Actually I think emo's been around since about late 2001. It peaked in 2005-07 though.

Written By: joeman on 12/19/10 at 10:23 pm

For some reason, I think of EMO is being closely related to the Myspace culture of the mid-00s.  Most people that used it were teenagers.

Written By: Emman on 12/19/10 at 11:27 pm

It is quite weird that rock music is not even somewhat popular in mainstream music any more. So..... what's next?

Written By: sonikuu on 12/20/10 at 2:57 am

I can't agree with you.

Electronica, Dance-Pop, and all that is like the new Disco.  Think about it: hard economic times and the most popular style of music is about going to the club, partying at the club, etc.  Replace 'club' with 'disco' and it's not that different, though Disco music had a more innocent feel to it, even if the discos themselves were full of cocaine-induced decadence.  And just as Disco was said to be killing Rock, so may the current dance trends be blamed for killing Rock too.  Big difference is that despite all the complaints at the time about Disco killing Rock and all that, such rumors were pretty exaggerated and Rock maintained a decent mainstream presence throughout.  Only difference is Rock bands aren't making dance songs, though some are incorporating non-Rock influences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs).

In any case, that era proved to be the kick in the ass Rock music needed and helped serve as an impetus for new ideas like Punk Rock and New Wave.  We'll see if that happens again this time around.  Personally, I prefer the dance trend over the hip-hop trend as catchy dance music has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 6:44 am

Yeah, one of the best era for rock n' roll. I wish I could relive those great times again.

I wish I could relive the 80's rock and roll era.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 6:45 am

It is quite weird that rock music is not even somewhat popular in mainstream music any more. So..... what's next?

I don't know? Rap?  ???

Written By: Creeder on 12/20/10 at 6:57 am

Electronica, Dance-Pop, and all that is like the new Disco.  Think about it: hard economic times and the most popular style of music is about going to the club, partying at the club, etc.  Replace 'club' with 'disco' and it's not that different, though Disco music had a more innocent feel to it, even if the discos themselves were full of cocaine-induced decadence.  And just as Disco was said to be killing Rock, so may the current dance trends be blamed for killing Rock too.  Big difference is that despite all the complaints at the time about Disco killing Rock and all that, such rumors were pretty exaggerated and Rock maintained a decent mainstream presence throughout.  Only difference is Rock bands aren't making dance songs, though some are incorporating non-Rock influences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs).

In any case, that era proved to be the kick in the ass Rock music needed and helped serve as an impetus for new ideas like Punk Rock and New Wave.  We'll see if that happens again this time around.  Personally, I prefer the dance trend over the hip-hop trend as catchy dance music has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

I liked disco when I was young. Many good disco songs are now evergreens, so I sorta like some modern dance hits, but most of them are garbage.
The parallel disco <> electropop is quite good. But back in the late 70's rock was still huge (classic rock was big, and the whole adult rock wave - Journey, Boston, Styx, etc.).
Perhaps the new glam metal will rise again, like it did in 1983. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/10 at 9:55 am

I borrowed my friend's car yesterday.  She had it set to her favorite classic rock station.  I listened for a while.  They played it all from Y to Z! 

Boston's "More Than a Feeling" to the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris".

Some "alternative" from the '80s and '90s is now allowed on "classic rock" because my generation has gone middle age!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rEgPZZmjwg4/SZyeqZocV-I/AAAAAAAAFNM/BFDurYGbQuY/s320/carl1.gif

If radio stations even exist when Generation Z is 40, I wonder what they'll be calling "classic."

BTW, I hate that Goo Goo Dolls song!!!
>:(

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 3:02 pm

I borrowed my friend's car yesterday.  She had it set to her favorite classic rock station.  I listened for a while.  They played it all from Y to Z! 

Boston's "More Than a Feeling" to the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris".

Some "alternative" from the '80s and '90s is now allowed on "classic rock" because my generation has gone middle age!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rEgPZZmjwg4/SZyeqZocV-I/AAAAAAAAFNM/BFDurYGbQuY/s320/carl1.gif

If radio stations even exist when Generation Z is 40, I wonder what they'll be calling "classic."

BTW, I hate that Goo Goo Dolls song!!!
>:(

I don't know what they sing? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/10 at 5:42 pm

I don't know what they sing? ???

The one I always hear is "Iris" from 1998.  Goo Goo Dolls had about a dozen records out before they hit big, so I can't say they didn't earn it, but boy are they annoying.  If you wanna hear it, check Youtube.  I ain't gonna link to it!
8-P

Written By: tv on 12/20/10 at 6:31 pm

Electronica, Dance-Pop, and all that is like the new Disco.  Think about it: hard economic times and the most popular style of music is about going to the club, partying at the club, etc.  Replace 'club' with 'disco' and it's not that different, though Disco music had a more innocent feel to it, even if the discos themselves were full of cocaine-induced decadence.  And just as Disco was said to be killing Rock, so may the current dance trends be blamed for killing Rock too.  Big difference is that despite all the complaints at the time about Disco killing Rock and all that, such rumors were pretty exaggerated and Rock maintained a decent mainstream presence throughout.  Only difference is Rock bands aren't making dance songs, though some are incorporating non-Rock influences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs).

Yeah but rap from 2003-early 2006 and 2007 mid 2008 had a definite club feel to it(with Crunk and Snap for example) and that trend took place during economic times. Glam Rap got killed by the recession just like Hair Metal got killed in the early 90's by a mild economic recession and even the gulf war.

80's Freestyle was popular during good economic times than the trend flamed out in 1991. I consider "Together Forever" by "Lisette Melendez" the last hit of that freestyle era back in 1991. I don;t consider "Let The Beat Hit Em'" by Lisa Lisa a freestyle hit in 1991. That song was more in the direction  of House Music that was popular in 1991.

Disco was sorta like late 90's teen-pop it lasted a few years than died. Both of late 90's teen-pop and disco got way too popular and than people got sick of both trends because of overexposure of the trends on the radio or in late 90's teen-pop's case exposure of the artists themselves on tv hearing about them all the time. Oddly enough both teen-pop of the late 90's and late 70's for disco were popular in two different economic times.The late 70's was a bad tiime economically and the late 90's was a supreme time economically.

Written By: tv on 12/20/10 at 6:51 pm

Having graduated in 2004, I graduated at the height of the post-grunge period.  True emo had not hit the scene yet. The song "Photograph" by Nickelback in 2005 was in my opinion was the turning point.  From then on the genre went into decline until almost disappearing completely in 2010. Even 2009 had a few post-grunge hits like "No Surprises" by Daughtry and "Love Drunk" by Boys Like Girls plus a couple by Hinder and 3 Doors Down.  Daughtry tried to break in with "September" this year but it appears to have flopped.
Yeah "No Surprises" peaked at #15 on the Billboard Hot 100. September peaked at #36 on the Billboard Hot 100 so still not to bad. "Life After You" peaked at #36 too on the Billboard Hot 100 by Daughtry.

"Use Me" by Hinder peaked at #3 on the Mainstream Rock Charts  in 2008. Citizen/Solider by 3 Doors Down peaked at #19 on the rock  mainstream tracks chart in 2008. "Let Me Be Myself peaked at #12 on the AC chart in 2008.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/20/10 at 7:10 pm

The thing is today's mainstream top 40 landscape is just not friendly to post-grunge.  Top 40 stations still playing it sound awful because Nickelback simply sounds out of place mixed with Kesha and Lady Gaga.  This was not the case back in 2002 when Nickleback was played alongside Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, Justin Timberlake, and the occasional rap song.  Pop music back then was much less rhythmic-sounding in general, which created a better environment for rock to flourish.

There is also somewhat of a generation gap as the 12-24 demographic is rejecting post-grunge while its still fairly popular with those in their late 20s and 30s (who don't like electropop).  Another factor to consider is a growing percentage of the younger generation is of Latino decent, who overwhelmingly prefer rhythmic music to rock.  Post-grunge has had a good 15 year run, its time for it to be laid to rest. 

Written By: Creeder on 12/21/10 at 12:51 pm

Post-grunge has had a good 15 year run, its time for it to be laid to rest. 

Maybe so. But there's nothing on the rock horizon comming to replace it...
The only rock bands with moderate success on top 40 are Maroon 5, OneRepublic and Train with "Hey, Soul Sister", but they're just uhh...

Written By: RG1995 on 12/21/10 at 1:47 pm

Maybe so. But there's nothing on the rock horizon comming to replace it...
The only rock bands with moderate success on top 40 are Maroon 5, OneRepublic and Train with "Hey, Soul Sister", but they're just uhh...
The Top 40 is irrelevant at this point for Rock. Bands like MGMT, Arcade Fire, and Indie Rock should be the mainstream rock sound of the 2010s and maybe even for Generation Z.

Written By: tv on 12/22/10 at 12:31 pm

The thing is today's mainstream top 40 landscape is just not friendly to post-grunge.  Top 40 stations still playing it sound awful because Nickelback simply sounds out of place mixed with Kesha and Lady Gaga.  This was not the case back in 2002 when Nickleback was played alongside Avril Lavigne, Good Charlotte, Justin Timberlake, and the occasional rap song.  Pop music back then was much less rhythmic-sounding in general, which created a better environment for rock to flourish.

There is also somewhat of a generation gap as the 12-24 demographic is rejecting post-grunge while its still fairly popular with those in their late 20s and 30s (who don't like electropop).  Another factor to consider is a growing percentage of the younger generation is of Latino decent, who overwhelmingly prefer rhythmic music to rock.  Post-grunge has had a good 15 year run, its time for it to be laid to rest. 
Well, I'd Come For You in 2009  peaked at #44 and "This Afternoon" both by Nickleback reached #34 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Written By: Shiv on 12/22/10 at 1:29 pm

Post-grunge was still getting played alongside all the glam rap and R&B in the mid 00s, from what I remember.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/22/10 at 2:59 pm

Post-grunge was still getting played alongside all the glam rap and R&B in the mid 00s, from what I remember.

Yes, but it meshed better with the pop acts of the time, which were artists like Kelly Clarkson, Natasha Beddingfield, Gorrillaz, etc.  In 2005 I would say the average Top 40 station was about 60% hip-hop/r&b and 30% rock/pop.  Of course this varied as rock had its stronger times and rap had its stronger times, but overall the pop was less rhythmic and there was enough rock in the charts that playing rock didn't sound completely out of place as it does today.  Another analogy: Rock on today's Top 40 sounds almost as bad as playing a country song on an urban radio station.  It just doesn't mesh.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/22/10 at 5:07 pm

The only way rock will become prominent again is if it becomes popular among 12 year-old girls, which is pretty much the target demographic for pop music. And that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/10 at 6:40 pm

The only way rock will become prominent again is if it becomes popular among 12 year-old girls, which is pretty much the target demographic for pop music. And that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

There is/was a pop group called "Fourteen Year Old Girls."
8)

Written By: Howard on 12/23/10 at 6:47 am

There is/was a pop group called "Fourteen Year Old Girls."
8)

When did this happen?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/10 at 8:20 am

Could life ever be sane again ?
The Leeds side-streets that you slip down
I wonder to myself
Hopes may rise on the Grasmere
But Honey Pie, you're not safe here
So you run down
To the safety of the town

http://www.simplyeighties.com/resources/Panic_The_Smiths.jpg

I'm always glad when I see kids still like The Smiths!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/10 at 8:27 am

When did this happen?  ???

There's still a Myspace page for them somewhere.  They had a couple of albums in the mid '00s.  They're described as Nintendocore.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/23/10 at 3:02 pm

Lately I've become quite fond of Disturbed, I'm beginning to think that they're one of the best hard rock bands of the last decade.

Written By: Creeder on 01/03/11 at 2:12 pm

The new super great Hinder album (All American Nightmare) debuted at number 37 (their previous album was #4).
So this is how a genre dies?  :( Its interesting to see it happen, but it saddens me. :(

Written By: RG1995 on 01/04/11 at 3:45 pm

The new super great Hinder album (All American Nightmare) debuted at number 37 (their previous album was #4).
So this is how a genre dies?  :( Its interesting to see it happen, but it saddens me. :(

It had to happen eventually Creeder. At least Post-Grunge got a decade and a half in the mainstream. Not many other genres can say that.

Even MTV knows Post-Grunge is dying at this point.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1655254/-rock-dead-not-vampire-weekend-arcade-fire-more-can-help-it.jhtml

Written By: Emman on 01/04/11 at 8:03 pm

I think indie might breakout this year too, it will probably be the "anti post-grunge", it might also be more of an electronic nature.
All those bands they mentioned(MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire) seem somewhat more "intellectual" than most mainstream rock in the past decade.
Post-grunge is finally dead, R.I.P 1995-2009.

Written By: Creeder on 01/05/11 at 3:08 am

Yeah..everything good has an end...

P.S. Something interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmril0DQrec

Written By: joeman on 01/05/11 at 6:07 am

Yeah..everything good has an end...

P.S. Something interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmril0DQrec

Cool video, but I wouldn't call Matchbox 20 post-grunge.  They are most definitely alternative-rock.

EDIT:  I defintely agree that the original post-grunge era was 1995-1997 and the golden age being 1998-2003.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/08/11 at 7:26 pm

So rock's not comin back?

Written By: Shiv on 01/09/11 at 12:13 am

Actually, along with indie rock, I've noticed metalcore (a combination of screamo and metal) has gotten VERY popular since the late 00s. Its not everyone's thing but at least its new.

You know, rock will never go away entirely, even if it does decline. Rap/R&B/dance/pop princesses are not everyone's cup of tea.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 7:02 am

So rock's not comin back?

I hope It'll be as good as it once was in the 80's.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/09/11 at 9:20 am

If you want rock to come back, the bands coming out need to be:
Aggressive or Fun.

Aggression (rebellion, social commentary, or just plain aggression) and Escapism (sex, girls, etc) are what fueled rock into popularity. If you want rock to come back, it can't be "No one understands me/I'll cut my arms so they can bleed" no one wants Kurt Cobain anymore.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/09/11 at 10:39 am

If you want rock to come back, the bands coming out need to be:
Aggressive or Fun.

Aggression (rebellion, social commentary, or just plain aggression) and Escapism (sex, girls, etc) are what fueled rock into popularity. If you want rock to come back, it can't be "No one understands me/I'll cut my arms so they can bleed" no one wants Kurt Cobain anymore.
When the hell did Kurt Cobain EVER say that? Just because he was a heroin addict and just because he killed him doesn't mean he wrote depressing lyrics? Most of his lyrics were sarcastic and he even stated that he didn't take much time to write his lyrics. I honestly don't want to see another era of partying and girls like it was during the Hair Metal era. It's not rebellious at all.

Written By: Shiv on 01/09/11 at 12:36 pm

The problem is, everything that was once rebellious is now the norm. Sex, drugs, violence is everywhere in pop culture today. It doesn't shock anymore. actually nowadays, being clean-cut is rebellious  :P

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 12:39 pm

The problem is, everything that was once rebellious is now the norm. Sex, drugs, violence is everywhere in pop culture today. It doesn't shock anymore. actually nowadays, being clean-cut is rebellious  :P

So you remember when guys used to have that long girly hair and makeup? ???

Written By: Shiv on 01/09/11 at 9:38 pm

So you remember when guys used to have that long girly hair and makeup? ???

Haha, hair metal was a little bit before my time. But there was emo....

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:29 am

Haha, hair metal was a little bit before my time. But there was emo....

What style is Emo? ???

Written By: Shiv on 01/10/11 at 11:29 am

What style is Emo? ???

http://www.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/panic-at-the-disco.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:48 pm

http://www.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/panic-at-the-disco.jpg

Who the hell are they?  ???

Written By: Emman on 01/10/11 at 7:04 pm

Who the hell are they?  ???

Panic At The Disco!

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 7:19 pm

Panic At The Disco!

Sorry I'm living in the 80's.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/11/11 at 5:54 pm

http://www.avclub.com/articles/2010-was-the-worst-year-for-rock-n-roll-since-1960,49841/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/11 at 10:12 pm

Yeah, we already DID that in 1986!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/11 at 2:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ZicY7Oqmg

Written By: KayKay on 01/12/11 at 5:03 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/11/is-rock-finally-dead

I just love how the "rock bands" mentioned here are ummm pop...

Journalists obviously don't know their music very well!

Though evidently there's hope yet - us rock fans are still going to gigs and buying albums!

Written By: Howard on 01/12/11 at 6:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ZicY7Oqmg

This is what Rock And Roll should sound like. 8)

Written By: Creeder on 01/12/11 at 3:24 pm

Rock feels like the most conservative music genre right now.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/12/11 at 5:00 pm

Conservative as in it never progresses or conservative as in it supports Republicans....because it rarely does.

Written By: Creeder on 01/13/11 at 1:38 am

Conservative as in it never progresses or conservative as in it supports Republicans....because it rarely does.

Not politically conservative, but it has become the music of the establishment and it is listened predominantly by old and conservative people.
The young masses have moved to newer sounds. :(

Written By: Shiv on 01/13/11 at 3:17 am

Not politically conservative, but it has become the music of the establishment and it is listened predominantly by old and conservative people.
The young masses have moved to newer sounds. :(

I'm 19 and I love rock  :)

Lots of younger people still like rock, in some form or another.

I'm starting to think 2010 was just a year rock took some time off, re-adjusting itself for the 10s after the death of emo and postgrunge. 2011 will probably be a great year for rock!!

And by the way....a lot of rock fans have this idea that the bluesy classic rock style is the only "true" rock. Not so. Everything from grunge to prog to death metal to emo to nu metal to garage rock is rock. I think rock fans need to be more open.

Written By: KayKay on 01/13/11 at 4:33 am

I'm 19 and I love rock  :)

Lots of younger people still like rock, in some form or another.

I'm starting to think 2010 was just a year rock took some time off, re-adjusting itself for the 10s after the death of emo and postgrunge. 2011 will probably be a great year for rock!!

And by the way....a lot of rock fans have this idea that the bluesy classic rock style is the only "true" rock. Not so. Everything from grunge to prog to death metal to emo to nu metal to garage rock is rock. I think rock fans need to be more open.

I totally agree with you here! I think people try to pidgeonhole the genre too much - it's as broad a genre as "pop" is.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/11 at 6:29 am

Rock should also have some trumpets and horns in the music today.

Written By: Creeder on 01/13/11 at 2:59 pm

Another thing happening is rock blending with country music, which seems logical since they're very close genres (this doesn't apply for indie rock which sounds too british and anti-american)

Written By: RG1995 on 01/13/11 at 3:02 pm

Another thing happening is rock blending with country music, which seems logical since they're very close genres.
There are too many subgenres to say Rock is blending with Country. Besides, Country has always been a big influence on Rock

Written By: Creeder on 01/13/11 at 4:19 pm

There are too many subgenres to say Rock is blending with Country. Besides, Country has always been a big influence on Rock

Ok, let me be more specific - many hair metal (Bret Michaels, Bon Jovi) and post-grunge (Nickelback, 3DD, Daughtry, Staind's Aaron Lewis) bands have country-ish feeling to them.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/13/11 at 5:03 pm

Ok, let me be more specific - many hair metal (Bret Michaels, Bon Jovi) and post-grunge (Nickelback, 3DD, Daughtry, Staind's Aaron Lewis) bands have country-ish feeling to them.
I doubt any of those bands will be popular in the next decade tho. Hair Metal has been dead since 1990 and Breat Michaels is only famous today because of Reality TV. As for Post-Grunge, I can't see it being popular by 2012/2013.

Written By: Admiral Akbar on 01/14/11 at 12:57 pm

I doubt any of those bands will be popular in the next decade tho. Hair Metal has been dead since 1990 and Breat Michaels is only famous today because of Reality TV. As for Post-Grunge, I can't see it being popular by 2012/2013.

Sir, I do sincerely hope you are right. Post-grunge has been putting me to sleep for years, it's about time somthing put it to sleep for once!

As for the hairbands, they've made a big comeback within the last couple of years regardless of Bret's willingness to do anything for money, especially Motley Crue. Those bands are exploiting the 20-Year Rule like it's their job (well, it kind of is at this point). This comeback will probably continue for a couple more years, until grunge kills the hairmetal again with its own revival XD

As for rock music as a whole, it will begin a new cycle soon. Just like the hairbands blurred the line between pop and rock n' roll, killing 80's-style arena and hard rock, I believe the emo/screamo/post-post-post-... grunge bands have done the same to modern rock. Rock will be forced to reinvent itself very soon or go the way of Jazz, but I have faith that some indie scene will establish itself as the new Seattle sometime within the next few years. Rock will need to change its style big time if it wants to survive. This mopey f*** me attitude needs to end, and the classic f*** you attitude needs to come back. The next wave of bands will probably be more electronic, but who knows, maybe good old hard rock will resurface in some other form. One can only hope.

Either way, I think 2010's music, especially rock, will be MUCH more interesting than 00's music.

Written By: tv on 01/14/11 at 4:58 pm

Sir, I do sincerely hope you are right. Post-grunge has been putting me to sleep for years, it's about time somthing put it to sleep for once!

As for the hairbands, they've made a big comeback within the last couple of years regardless of Bret's willingness to do anything for money, especially Motley Crue. Those bands are exploiting the 20-Year Rule like it's their job (well, it kind of is at this point). This comeback will probably continue for a couple more years, until grunge kills the hairmetal again with its own revival XDAs for rock music as a whole, it will begin a new cycle soon. Just like the hairbands blurred the line between pop and rock n' roll, killing 80's-style arena and hard rock, I believe the emo/screamo/post-post-post-... grunge bands have done the same to modern rock. Rock will be forced to reinvent itself very soon or go the way of Jazz, but I have faith that some indie scene will establish itself as the new Seattle sometime within the next few years. Rock will need to change its style big time if it wants to survive. This mopey f*** me attitude needs to end, and the classic f*** you attitude needs to come back. The next wave of bands will probably be more electronic, but who knows, maybe good old hard rock will resurface in some other form. One can only hope.

Either way, I think 2010's music, especially rock, will be MUCH more interesting than 00's music.
I like some hair-metal songs but it got too corny with the make-up and the second rate hair metal bands like Warrant and Winger around 1990. I mean "Every Rose Its A Thorn" and Rock You Like A Hurriccane" are great/good songs from that era.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/14/11 at 5:03 pm

I like some hair-metal songs but it got too corny with the make-up and the second rate hair metal bands like Warrant and Winger around 1990. I mean "Every Rose Its A Thorn" and Rock You Like A Hurriccane" are great/good songs from that era.

I really like "Rock You Like A Hurricane".

Written By: RG1995 on 01/14/11 at 5:07 pm

Yeah. I mean bands like Van Halen and Quiet Riot are great bands. I like to call them Pop Metal more than Hair Metal because they just don't seem as cheezy as a band like Poison or Warrant.  :P

Written By: Admiral Akbar on 01/14/11 at 6:34 pm

Yeah. I mean bands like Van Halen and Quiet Riot are great bands. I like to call them Pop Metal more than Hair Metal because they just don't seem as cheezy as a band like Poison or Warrant.  :P

Van Halen are more hard rock than anything else. I'd put them in the same category as bands like KISS or Aerosmith. Quiet Riot was a very early LA band and was one of the first of the scene to get exposure. I don't know, I like to think of everything pre-Slippery When Wet LA metal as glam metal, and everything after that as hairmetal. Technically it's all glam metal, but after Bon Jovi got huge it seems like the scene lost a lot of its edge (minus Guns N' Roses and Motley Crue) and everyone was doing the big hair power ballad thing because they knew it would get them laid/rich. I think this ultimately killed the scene.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/11 at 7:14 pm

and Whitesnake too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/11 at 7:50 pm

Let's not forget that bombastic classic, "The Final Countdown"  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/15/11 at 6:50 am

Let's not forget that bombastic classic, "The Final Countdown"  8)

and Kiss "Lick it Up" 1983.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/15/11 at 10:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdQmlvdd1c

I feel like a sound like this can hit the mainstream. Sort of the "Arcade Fire sound".

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/16/11 at 12:50 pm

You need a sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcViNwac0I

Written By: Creeder on 01/17/11 at 2:05 am

Why did the young abandoned rock n' roll?

Written By: sonikuu on 01/17/11 at 3:03 am

Well, as a young person, albeit a young Rock fan, I can provide several answers to this:

1. "No Fun."  Rock was always the more serious genre throughout the 00s and many of the subgenres popular during this time, such as Nu Metal and Emo, were very angst-centric.  The average teenager in, say, the mid-00s was given a choice between effinate guys wearing makeup whining about their girlfriend or rappers talking about how they're always partying, getting women, etc.  Those in college got to choose between said Rap songs and hipster Indie Rock, whose fans hated the mainstream and had a reputation for being condescending and clique-ish.  Average teenagers who just wanted to "have fun", most went for other genres.  Serious Rock music did well in the 90s, but the 00s were a different decade and a different culture.  Perhaps the 2010s will be kinder.

2.  Lack of progression.  Look at how long Post-Grunge was popular for.  It was an incredibly stale genre that was still endlessly promoted.  By the mid-00s, Post-Grunge had already lost all credibility with the youth.  Whether you like Rap or not, you have to admit that Rap changed its sound every two or three years.  People naturally gravitate towards newer, fresher things.  Heck, mainstream Rock music actually went backwards after the fall of Emo, as generic Hard Rock started to get more radio play around 2008.

3.  More diverse young population.  Most Rock fans are white and while there's plenty of black rockers, Asian rockers, etc., it still has the image of a white genre.  Less white people in younger generation = lessened popularity of said "white" genre.

4.  Rock fans themselves.  I made a whole post on this before, so I'll just summarize it: they're more likely to download illegally, like older music (liking older music means less time consuming newer music), and care less about popularity.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 6:37 am

I don't know I guess people grew up and had other likes in different music. ???

Written By: RG1995 on 01/17/11 at 12:18 pm

They didn't. The radio did imo, along with the genre itself. It lost the rebellion aspect and became boring and generic.

Written By: tv on 01/17/11 at 12:32 pm

They didn't. The radio did imo, along with the genre itself. It lost the rebellion aspect and became boring and generic.
Yeah Rap had all the rebellion in the 00's but than that brand of rap became boring in the summer of 2008 and went down in popularity.

Written By: Shiv on 01/17/11 at 12:33 pm

The average teenager in, say, the mid-00s was given a choice between effinate guys wearing makeup whining about their girlfriend or rappers talking about how they're always partying, getting women, etc.  

This is why I listened to classic rock in the mid-00s. I found emo to be incredibly cheesy, girly, and simplistic, and when you're a douchey 15 year old trying to find your idenity and all that crap the last thing I wanted to happen was be caught listening to...."girly music"...lol. Glam rap I just found stupid and dumbed-down.

Of course I'm not 15 anymore and not as concerned about all that, and little more open to different music styles. So now I don't mind emo as much. Plus now that its pretty much passe, nobody cares if I like it or not.

Still don't like glam rap and probably never will.

Written By: Shiv on 01/17/11 at 12:35 pm

Yeah Rap had all the rebellion in the 00's but than that brand of rap became boring in the summer of 2008 and went down in popularity.

I wonder if the faltering economy had anything to do with it...I mean, I'm sure rappers waving around cash lin their Rolls Royces ike its monopoly play money no longer seemed that appealing to the kid struggling to put a quarter tank of gas in his piece of sheesh hand me down 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Written By: tv on 01/17/11 at 12:48 pm

I wonder if the faltering economy had anything to do with it...I mean, I'm sure rappers waving around cash lin their Rolls Royces ike its monopoly play money no longer seemed that appealing to the kid struggling to put a quarter tank of gas in his piece of sheesh hand me down 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis.
Hey that Grand Marquis was selling new on the lots when I was junior in High School. Your making me sound real old when you say that although I don't like American Cars from back from that era except for Chrysler products.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 12:58 pm

So that's why nobody listens to the music anymore.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/17/11 at 1:05 pm

So that's why nobody listens to the music anymore.
No. I think its the internet. Its SO much easier to listen to a song on the internet than the radio or to buy an CD. Look how many views some of the music videos on Youtube get. Tens or even hundreds of miilions of view.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 1:28 pm

No. I think its the internet. Its SO much easier to listen to a song on the internet than the radio or to buy an CD. Look how many views some of the music videos on Youtube get. Tens or even hundreds of miilions of view.

radio is going by the wayside.

Written By: Shiv on 01/17/11 at 2:02 pm

radio is going by the wayside.

Radio is boring. Same crap over and over.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/11 at 6:43 am

Radio is boring. Same crap over and over.

internet radio is much better,no commercials.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/18/11 at 9:15 am

internet radio is much better,no commercials.

Not always! Live365.com HAS commercials, but is still more convienent that a standard radio, and some stations require subscription fees. But I should mention CDs are falling along with terrestrial radio as well, consistantly down 10 to 20 percent year year for the past 10 years. Considering that digital media doesn't scratch, break, or corrode unlike CDs and mobile devices can do everything a CD does a more, I'm not surprised how poorly CD sales are faring. I only hear in the media "his/her/their new CD" once in a blue moon in place of "new album" once again. Just watch the Grammys in a few weeks, and be prepared for disappointment among the nominees in the rock categories given how much the genre has faded.

BTW, if anybody is high school/college aged on here and you see students with CD players/CDs, do classmates make fun of them for being "behind the times?"

Written By: Howard on 01/18/11 at 8:16 pm

Not always! Live365.com HAS commercials, but is still more convienent that a standard radio, and some stations require subscription fees. But I should mention CDs are falling along with terrestrial radio as well, consistantly down 10 to 20 percent year year for the past 10 years. Considering that digital media doesn't scratch, break, or corrode unlike CDs and mobile devices can do everything a CD does a more, I'm not surprised how poorly CD sales are faring. I only hear in the media "his/her/their new CD" once in a blue moon in place of "new album" once again. Just watch the Grammys in a few weeks, and be prepared for disappointment among the nominees in the rock categories given how much the genre has faded.

BTW, if anybody is high school/college aged on here and you see students with CD players/CDs, do classmates make fun of them for being "behind the times?"

They want you to sign up for a monthly fee,It's ridiculous. ::)

Written By: tv on 01/19/11 at 11:43 am

Yeah I forgot about the 3.00$ a aollon gas that took place in Summer of 2008.

Written By: joeman on 01/19/11 at 11:56 pm

Down in Florida, it is 3 dollars per gas right now.  Back in 07/08 it was getting close to 5 dollars a gallon.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/11 at 6:39 am

Yeah,gas is expensive.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/20/11 at 9:36 am

You're very lucky, where I come from in the summer of 2008 gas prices were about $4.70 per gallon. We would've loved to have $3.

Written By: tv on 01/20/11 at 11:43 am

You're very lucky, where I come from in the summer of 2008 gas prices were about $4.70 per gallon. We would've loved to have $3.
Yeah I live in NJ so gas may be cheaper here than in other parts of the country but than again NJ has one of the highest tax burdens in the country.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/11 at 4:08 pm

Yeah I live in NJ so gas may be cheaper here than in other parts of the country but than again NJ has one of the highest tax burdens in the country.

I'm gonna move to New Jersey!  8)

What's gonna happen when gas prices hit $6 or $7 a gallon? Are people gonna start stealing? I'm scared that that might start happening about 5 to 10 years from now!  :(

Written By: tv on 01/21/11 at 4:57 pm

I'm gonna move to New Jersey!  8)

What's gonna happen when gas prices hit $6 or $7 a gallon? Are people gonna start stealing? I'm scared that that might start happening about 5 to 10 years from now!  :(
I rather live in Lousiana or Colorado- they are lower taxed states. Connecticut or Maryland are nice but alot of taxes in those states too. I am only gonna be in Jersey for a few more years because my parents are moving to Florida.

Yeah get ready for  the for the Jersey Shore with those sun glasses on the smiley face guy if you move here! 8)

Written By: Shiv on 01/21/11 at 10:48 pm

I'm gonna move to New Jersey!  8)

What's gonna happen when gas prices hit $6 or $7 a gallon? Are people gonna start stealing? I'm scared that that might start happening about 5 to 10 years from now!  :(

They'll switch to small cars or use public transportation. If public transportation doesn't exist in the area, people will lobby for it until it does. There are easy ways to combat high gas prices.

Here in the Buffalo area we have a "subway" that consists of a straight line running down part of our Main Street. When originally planned, the subway was supposed to travel all over Western New York. Of course, Buffalo being Buffalo, the money ran out and so only a little portion of it ended up being built. It doesn't get a whole lot of use, not too many people care about it, and white people are afraid of it. Well, when gas went to $4.25 a gallon, all of a sudden everyone and their brother were riding the subway and nagging the city to extend it. I loled.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/11 at 10:55 pm

They'll switch to small cars or use public transportation. If public transportation doesn't exist in the area, people will lobby for it until it does. There are easy ways to combat high gas prices.

Here in the Buffalo area we have a "subway" that consists of a straight line running down part of our Main Street. When originally planned, the subway was supposed to travel all over Western New York. Of course, Buffalo being Buffalo, the money ran out and so only a little portion of it ended up being built. It doesn't get a whole lot of use, not too many people care about it, and white people are afraid of it. Well, when gas went to $4.25 a gallon, all of a sudden everyone and their brother were riding the subway and nagging the city to extend it. I loled.

I never thought of using public transportation before, Lol. How close minded of me! Ha ha.

Written By: Emman on 01/21/11 at 11:09 pm

When gas prices rise, to prices on most other things rise also(food for example).

Written By: Shiv on 01/23/11 at 2:39 pm

And now I just read another local article about how use of our subway and busses is rising again now that gas is approaching $3.40 a gallon. History repeats itself  :D

Written By: JTCool on 01/23/11 at 2:52 pm

I'm in high school and I can't even remember the last time I saw a portable cd player in school. The last time I saw one at school was back in middle school in 2004, now everyone has ipods or iphones. Some people have zunes too.

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/11 at 10:08 pm

I still use a portable CD player, but only because my place of work does not allow the use of portable mp3 players. 

Written By: sonikuu on 01/24/11 at 2:36 am

I remember back in 2005, one student brought a CD player to school and pulled it out after my Psychology class.  A girl looked at him funny and asked him why he still had a CD player.  Even by that point, CD players were already out of date and uncool.  And keep in mind the ipod only really hit the mainstream around 2003!  Before that, MP3 players, including previous versions of the ipod, were still something not accessible to the average person.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/24/11 at 2:59 am

Gas hit about $4.00 a gallon in the Cleveland area back in summer 2008, then after the economy crashed gas went all the way down to like $1.70 or so by the winter (which was probably the lowest it had been since 2004ish). Actually I have a pic..this was in the summer of 08 and it was $3.99 for regular.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/briand06/IMG_0101.jpg

~November 08 (hard to read but I think regular says $1.59 and $1.79 for plus):

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/briand06/IMG_0039-1.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/24/11 at 6:42 am

I'm in high school and I can't even remember the last time I saw a portable cd player in school. The last time I saw one at school was back in middle school in 2004, now everyone has ipods or iphones. Some people have zunes too.

I still have a Sony Walkman but not quite,It's kind of broken at the moment.

Written By: Starde on 01/24/11 at 10:16 am

I remember back in 2005, one student brought a CD player to school and pulled it out after my Psychology class.  A girl looked at him funny and asked him why he still had a CD player.  Even by that point, CD players were already out of date and uncool.  And keep in mind the ipod only really hit the mainstream around 2003!  Before that, MP3 players, including previous versions of the ipod, were still something not accessible to the average person.

I was still bringing a CD player to school when I was in high school until 2007 when I finally got an iPod. Of course, I think I was the only one though at the time. :-\\

Written By: Creeder on 02/04/11 at 2:50 am

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a301530/mona-top-mtvs-brand-new-for-2011-poll.html

These boys sound good. Maybe a sign for the returning of rock n' roll?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYayJv2WmSU

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 3:29 pm

Nah, rock has been around for what, nearly a lifetime now? Time to give it a rest i think. :)

Written By: Creeder on 02/04/11 at 4:17 pm

Nah, rock has been around for what, nearly a lifetime now? Time to give it a rest i think. :)

Talk like this is blasphemy! >:(

Written By: Shiv on 02/09/11 at 10:18 am

Never!!

Written By: Howard on 02/09/11 at 12:48 pm

Never!!

Rock And Roll has been a part of culture too.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/11 at 5:55 pm

Rock And Roll has been a part of culture too.

Yup, since the 50s!!  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/09/11 at 6:17 pm

Where have all the guitar heroes gone?  :-\\

Written By: Creeder on 02/10/11 at 2:41 am

Yup, since the 50s!!  8)

Rock is more than music. Its a lifestyle.

There are a lot, but since the mainstream doesn't care about them any more they don't get exposure.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/11 at 6:26 am

either retired or died. ???

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/11 at 3:05 am

Never!!

I think one day rock will come back. I'm guessing 20 years from now is more likely.

To me, Janis and Hendrix represented rock at its peak and at its best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfoT1r8Ay4

I just love Janis's passion; will we ever have passion in rock like that again?

Written By: Howard on 02/11/11 at 2:48 pm

I think one day rock will come back. I'm guessing 20 years from now is more likely.

To me, Janis and Hendrix represented rock at its peak and at its best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfoT1r8Ay4

I just love Janis's passion; will we ever have passion in rock like that again?

Janis Joplin was a part of the early 70's.

Written By: Creeder on 02/12/11 at 11:54 am

I hope we can bring back little girls to rock side with such bands as "The Pretty Reckless" and "Paramore" 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/12/11 at 12:38 pm

Janis Joplin was a part of the early 70's.

Yup! Actually she was late 60s AND early 70s! She died in 1970.

Written By: Creeder on 02/14/11 at 2:11 pm

"The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire won grammy award for album of the year.
Not my style of rock, but I'm happily pleased to see rock returning to the spotlight.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/15/11 at 8:40 pm

"The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire won grammy award for album of the year.
Not my style of rock, but I'm happily pleased to see rock returning to the spotlight.
Perhaps Alternative/Modern Rock stations will actually start playing some Arcade Fire now?

Written By: eregisterMeBro on 04/19/11 at 3:23 am

If anything if I feel the only place rock is doing anything is indie. But no one pays attention to those bands since indie-rock fans are mostly hipsters who don't want them to go mainstream, or the bands are against going mainstream themselves. Indie has been heralded as 'the next big thing' since around 2003, but since it's highly rooted in the internet and micro-trends right now, it's kind of hard for labels to grasp and sell indie bands without stagnating their creativity. Every other place in rock is pretty boring right now, while indie is incorporating way more stuff like shoegaze, post-punk, early punk, synth pop, electronic, and hip-hop and is the music of choice for the young and hip that hasn't been mass marketed quite yet while hip-hop and pop still shadows it. The occasional breakthrough band will shine, but almost never repeat their success. Indie or bands that were once considered indie that have really made it big over the past 10 years were The Killers, The White Stripes, The Strokes(to an extent), and a few other flash in the pan bands that were just copies of the mentioned bands.

The mainstream audience is just catching up to The Strokes for Christ sakes, while anyone in the know in indie know that the latest obsessions have been bands Wild Nothing, Deerhunter, TV On The Radio, Yuck, and what ever came into prominence in the last 5 years. But as always the mainstream is always behind, which is why people are still hanging onto Linkin Park, and crappy post-grunge, and pop punk bands. I think it's time for music to grow up.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/11 at 6:41 am

Rock will always be a genre in American History,We all grew up with different sounds of it.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/19/11 at 12:48 pm

If anything if I feel the only place rock is doing anything is indie. But no one pays attention to those bands since indie-rock fans are mostly hipsters who don't want them to go mainstream, or the bands are against going mainstream themselves. Indie has been heralded as 'the next big thing' since around 2003, but since it's highly rooted in the internet and micro-trends right now, it's kind of hard for labels to grasp and sell indie bands without stagnating their creativity. Every other place in rock is pretty boring right now, while indie is incorporating way more stuff like shoegaze, post-punk, early punk, synth pop, electronic, and hip-hop and is the music of choice for the young and hip that hasn't been mass marketed quite yet while hip-hop and pop still shadows it. The occasional breakthrough band will shine, but almost never repeat their success. Indie or bands that were once considered indie that have really made it big over the past 10 years were The Killers, The White Stripes, The Strokes(to an extent), and a few other flash in the pan bands that were just copies of the mentioned bands.

The mainstream audience is just catching up to The Strokes for Christ sakes, while anyone in the know in indie know that the latest obsessions have been bands Wild Nothing, Deerhunter, TV On The Radio, Yuck, and what ever came into prominence in the last 5 years. But as always the mainstream is always behind, which is why people are still hanging onto Linkin Park, and crappy post-grunge, and pop punk bands. I think it's time for music to grow up.

the most popular rock of today can't really even be called mainstream!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/19/11 at 5:16 pm

There's still plenty of good hard rock coming out today. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3pz5KYKCTQ

Written By: Creeder on 04/20/11 at 4:12 am

Foo Fighters make huge chart comeback with ‘Wasting Light’ album!!!

Foo Fighters have just snagged their first ever Billboard chart topper. Their new album Wasting Light bows at No.1 this week on the Billboard 200, with impressive first-week sales of 230k. The band have been trying to take the top spot for over fifteen years now; their previous best was 2005′s In Your Honor, which reached No.2.

Wasting Light also debuted at No.1 in the UK, ending chart queen Adele’s record-breaking 11-week run.  They’ve also hit No.1 in a string of other countries, including Australia and New Zealand, and if things continue going how they are now, then Wasting Light could easily end up as the best charting album of their career.

They’re having success on the singles side of things, too. Their latest single “Rope” executed an all-kill on the Billboard charts shortly after its release, hitting No.1 on the Rock, Mainstream Rock, and Alternative charts, while also cracking the top thirty of the Hot 100.

Foo Fighters are even slaying Last.fm. They’re currently No.3 on the artist chart, only behind Radiohead and The Beatles, and they’ve got a massive six songs in the Top Tracks chart.

Yes! Good old post-grunge rock is still going strong. The new album is huge and is being heavily promoted.

Written By: Shiv on 04/20/11 at 10:44 pm

Yes! Good old post-grunge rock is still going strong. The new album is huge and is being heavily promoted.

Foo Fighters gets a pass because David Grohl was in Nirvana. But seriously, post grunge must die

Written By: RG1995 on 04/20/11 at 11:09 pm

No song will make the Billboard Top 40 and it is from a band that has been around since 1995. The album is pretty good, but it's the same boring sound. Rock won't be the sound of the 2010s unless we get some out-of-nowhere curveball new sound/genre. Post-Grunge/Pop Punk honestly should have died with the Garage Rock sound of the Strokes and the White Stripes in 2002/2003.

Written By: Shiv on 04/20/11 at 11:48 pm

I tend to think of pop punk as more of an 00s genre than a 90s genre. Blink 182 was for all accounts and purposes the first modern pop punk band, and they didn't get big until the late 90s.

edit: oh and Green Day. But still, the popularity of the genre exploded in the late 90s/early 00s.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 2:27 am

I tend to think of pop punk as more of an 00s genre than a 90s genre. Blink 182 was for all accounts and purposes the first modern pop punk band, and they didn't get big until the late 90s.

edit: oh and Green Day. But still, the popularity of the genre exploded in the late 90s/early 00s.

I never really saw Green Day as being 'pop punk' in the same way that say, Good Charlotte is. Green Day are pop, and they are punk, but to me, when I think of pop punk, I think of something a little bit more specific. I agree with you.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/11 at 11:03 pm

Going to this show tomorrow.

http://www.kcrockfest08.com/home/

Should be a blast.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/11 at 12:26 am

Lots of good new alternative rock coming out today.  One of the best bands I have heard in a very long time is White Lies ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW0yynlDmqQ

Written By: Howard on 05/14/11 at 6:35 am

Going to this show tomorrow.

http://www.kcrockfest08.com/home/

Should be a blast.  8)

Enjoy.

Written By: Shiv on 05/14/11 at 6:42 am

An indie band called The Vaccines is being really hyped.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/11 at 7:10 pm

http://www.myspace.com/video/bill/pink-floyd-quot-another-brick-in-the-wall-quot/4589586

Pink Floyd was when rock music was prominent.  8)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/17/11 at 3:50 am

I don't think rock's dead just kind of overshadowed at the moment, remember rock is such a broad term for what are really many styles of music.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/11 at 6:35 am

I don't think rock's dead just kind of overshadowed at the moment, remember rock is such a broad term for what are really many styles of music.

there's punk rock,funk rock and disco rock.

Written By: Creeder on 05/18/11 at 4:28 pm

Is Seether new album making any impact?

Written By: Emman on 05/18/11 at 9:31 pm

In the context of the mainstream music scene, no.

Written By: Shiv on 05/18/11 at 11:44 pm

Who are they?

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 05/19/11 at 4:00 pm

Anyone here heard of Hollywood Undead? Their debut album came out in 2008 and came out with a new one this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D22tbx3ffk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arL2BqHD42A&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZfnzcL6phU

Check for new replies or respond here...