inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elementary kids and cell phones

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/14/10 at 8:07 pm

I was at my little sister's orchestra concert this evening (my sister is in the 5th grade), and before the performance, the orchestra director ordered all her students to turn off their cell phones.

That made me feel old, because when I was in the 5th grade (c. 2002-2003), none of my teachers ever had to tell their students to turn off their cell phones because nobody even had them! Now, it seems that people of all ages have cell phones.  :D

Subject: Re: Elementary kids and cell phones

Written By: Brian06 on 12/14/10 at 8:12 pm

Yeah I remember I actually got my first cell phone when I was like in 6th grade which was way back in 1998 and I was like the only one that had one.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/14/10 at 8:17 pm

Yeah I remember I actually got my first cell phone when I was like in 6th grade which was way back in 1998 and I was like the only one that had one.

When I was in the sixth grade, I saw one of my classmates using a cell phone, and I remember I was thinking how lucky she was.  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/14/10 at 8:28 pm

I didn't get my first cell phone until I was in my 30's.  ;D

When I was young if I needed to call my parents to pick me up from the movies or the mall, I used a pay phone, but there aren't many of those around anymore.

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/10 at 8:36 pm

I still use payphones.  I see the whole world using cellphones and I often wonder what would happen if cell towers everywhere went down at once.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 9:13 pm

I still use payphones.  I see the whole world using cellphones and I often wonder what would happen if cell towers everywhere went down at once.

Don't just wonder.  Make it happen!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilsmile.gif

I'm not an alarmist about the cell phone - cancer connection, but I would rather not give cell phones to children until we know for sure.  Grownups?  It's okay, our lives are ruined already!
:)

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/14/10 at 9:25 pm

Really??  The last time I used a payphone I was directed to deposit around $37.50, apparently .25  pays for a nano-second. ;D  Not really, but it was a lot. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/15/10 at 1:20 am

My youngest was getting calls last year from a girl in his class who had her own cell phone at 8 years old :o  I know this because when I tried to call back to talk to her parents after she called at 12:30 AM, I got her voice mail.  Needless to say, after the message I left, she never called that late again ;)

Written By: joeman on 12/15/10 at 6:29 am

Didn't get a celllphone until I was 17 or 18, I guess I was a late bloomer :\. 

Written By: Howard on 12/15/10 at 6:41 am

And you still have to pay 50c for each call? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/15/10 at 6:42 am

I didn't get a cell phone till the early 2000's.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/15/10 at 7:28 am

Welcome to Generation Z. Where a cellphone is attached to your umbilical cord.

Really, I feel teachers should tell students to write their names on their cellphones via tape/small piece of paper, give them to the teacher who puts it in a special box, and calls roll right before lunch/the end of the day for kids to pick up their phones. That way it's not a distraction so people can LEARN, not fudge around. Learning stuff up through 10 is important to get a good start. Also, lost and found can cope well with misplaces phones.

Written By: karen on 12/15/10 at 8:12 am

^ my daughter's phone has her name on a piece of Dymo tape stuck to the back.

I don't see any need for children at elementary/primary school to have a phone.  At that age they are still being ferried around by the parents or at a friends house. 

My daughter has a phone because she walks to and from school on her own and sometimes needs to contact me to say that she is staying after school for a club or something.  Occasionally she is out with friends around town and the phone is handy if there is an emergency.  There used to be about 6 pay phones in the town centre; now I can think of one!

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/15/10 at 9:24 am

I don't think I got a cell phone until I was 14 or 15.

It's weird to see so many kids with cell phones.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/15/10 at 1:09 pm

I was 21 when I got my 1st Cell Phone...and I was the last one in my family to get one too!

The saddest thing is...I'm the oldest sibling and yet my younger brother and sister get a cell phone before me!

PS-It's my brother's B-Day today...and no...he has no forum here!

Written By: Howard on 12/15/10 at 8:26 pm

I have a cell phone attached to my belt buckle and I rarely use it.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/16/10 at 9:20 am

My 2 older boys didn't get their cell phones until they were in 6th grade, and even then, they only got them when they were in sports and needed a way to contact me to come get them after games/practices.  Their schools don't even HAVE payphones and they don't let them use the office phones to call so the kids either have to have a cell phone, borrow someone else's, or the parents have to be mind readers (practices usually end around the same time, but if there's a game and the parents can't make it, it's a crap shoot as to when they'll get back to the school) :o

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/10 at 9:25 am

There a phones kids can use that can be programmed to restrict who they can call and receive calls from, unfortunately too many parents are to uninvolved, or self involved, or just too plain foolish to make sure the restrictions are in place.  There isn't any reason a child should have the means to call anyone but emergency numbers, and sexting!!! Well! 

Written By: Shiv on 12/16/10 at 10:06 am

I don't see what the big deal is. But then again I'm 19  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/16/10 at 12:08 pm

Elementary kids use Sidekicks too to text a lot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/10 at 2:35 pm

The only cell phones in existence when I was 17 were the infamous "bricks."  Expensive as hell...and who you gonna call (not even Ghostbusters).  The were more of a status symbol than anything else!
::)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/10 at 4:34 pm

The only cell phones in existence when I was 17 were the infamous "bricks."  Expensive as hell...and who you gonna call (not even Ghostbusters).  The were more of a status symbol than anything else!

I remember those.  I always thought they were ridiculous.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/10 at 6:52 am

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Telephones/Motorola_Brick_Cell_Phone_web.jpg

HA! try carrying this on the bus. ;D

Written By: bigdsketch on 12/17/10 at 6:41 pm

I was at my little sister's orchestra concert this evening (my sister is in the 5th grade), and before the performance, the orchestra director ordered all her students to turn off their cell phones.

That made me feel old, because when I was in the 5th grade (c. 2002-2003), none of my teachers ever had to tell their students to turn off their cell phones because nobody even had them! Now, it seems that people of all ages have cell phones.  :D

Dude i feel ya. I was in 5th grade the same year and i didnt know anyone my age with cellphones...to be honest i aint start seein that stuff til i was in high school or at least later on in jr high.

Written By: bigdsketch on 12/17/10 at 6:43 pm

You aint tha only one. I got my first phone (that i didn't have to share) the summer i turned 17

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/17/10 at 6:57 pm

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Telephones/Motorola_Brick_Cell_Phone_web.jpg

HA! try carrying this on the bus. ;D

And people carried that around with them?  :o

Written By: Howard on 12/17/10 at 7:03 pm

And people carried that around with them?  :o

They look like freakin walkie talkies. ;D How is one going to attach it to their belt buckle? ???

Written By: Starde on 12/18/10 at 11:42 am

I also feel kinda old seeing 8 year olds with cellphones. Hell, I don't remember getting a cellphone til I was 13 or 14. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/10 at 5:24 pm

There a phones kids can use that can be programmed to restrict who they can call and receive calls from, unfortunately too many parents are to uninvolved, or self involved, or just too plain foolish to make sure the restrictions are in place.  There isn't any reason a child should have the means to call anyone but emergency numbers, and sexting!!! Well! 

My nieces would figure out how to un-program the parental controls in about 10 minutes! 

Written By: Howard on 12/18/10 at 7:08 pm

I also feel kinda old seeing 8 year olds with cellphones. Hell, I don't remember getting a cellphone til I was 13 or 14. :-\\

I got my first cellphone 10 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...