inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH-1 Hijacked

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/10 at 7:55 pm

There was a time when I used to watch VH-1 fairly regularly.

But anymore, the show has been hijacked with endless reruns of Saturday Night Live,  ::)  and these cackling women on Football Wives and Basketball Wives.  8-P

Are things really that bad at the network that they cannot afford to do any decent programming? ???

Subject: Re: VH-1 Hijacked

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/10 at 9:21 pm

Know something?  I don't even remember what channel numbers MTV and VH1 are on my Comcast anymore.  VH was supposed to stand for Video Hits.  Even if they lived up to their mission, they'd still be playing a lot of crap I don't wanna watch.  I won't mention any particular artists so I don't hurt nobody's baby-ass feelings!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/10 at 9:53 pm

Vh-1:  Music First
MTV:  Music Television

http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/1199500/1199601_5085_625x1000.jpg

Our 'Much Music' channel in Canada recently put in a request if they could cut back on the amount of music videos they air.  The CRTC (Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunication Commission) said no.

You're a friggin' music channel.  Play some damn music.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/10 at 6:39 am

MTV and VH1 should go back to playing music instead of these stupid idiotic Jersey Shores and teen reality crap. ::)

Written By: RG1995 on 12/18/10 at 7:18 am

MTV and VH1 should go back to playing music instead of these stupid idiotic Jersey Shores and teen reality crap. ::)
They aren't going to do that for one simple reason: the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Unfortunately, reality crap like My Super Sweet 16 and Jersey Shore are more popular than music videos at the moment, and make more money for them. Besides, the internet has kind of revived music videos a bit. As much as I hate the guy, Justin Bieber has around 200,000,000 views on his crappy song. Not bad....

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/10 at 7:34 am

I gave up on pop channels a long time ago, and thank goodness I have done the right thing.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/10 at 7:10 pm

I gave up on pop channels a long time ago, and thank goodness I have done the right thing.

They have the internet for music anyway.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/20/10 at 8:10 am

VH1 was originally designed to be for 25-49 year olds when it premiered (compared to the 13- to 29 year olds for MTV) from some early news releases. But they are prime examples of "network decay". Even VH1 Classic is going downhill with certain movies; VH1 is showing a poor era of saturday Night live currently (mid-00s) that are definately in the pop cultural rear-view mirror and uncool! At least show stuff from before 2000 for various nostalgia values.

If both MTV and VH1 had their ways as intended, we could have just the Beiber/Gaga/Perry and related stuff on MTV, and the Buble/Boyle/some older artists trying to make comebacks on VH1, with various MUSIC-related programming in addition. There are plenty of other channels for reality/movies/reruns of non-music shows!

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/10 at 7:33 pm

VH1 was originally designed to be for 25-49 year olds when it premiered (compared to the 13- to 29 year olds for MTV) from some early news releases. But they are prime examples of "network decay". Even VH1 Classic is going downhill with certain movies; VH1 is showing a poor era of saturday Night live currently (mid-00s) that are definately in the pop cultural rear-view mirror and uncool! At least show stuff from before 2000 for various nostalgia values.

If both MTV and VH1 had their ways as intended, we could have just the Beiber/Gaga/Perry and related stuff on MTV, and the Buble/Boyle/some older artists trying to make comebacks on VH1, with various MUSIC-related programming in addition. There are plenty of other channels for reality/movies/reruns of non-music shows!

Same thing happened with The Lifetime Channel.  Used to be that they ran all sorts of cool shows for doctors on there, and occasioanlly showed some decent nudity as a result.  Then somewhere it lost its way and became the waste of bandwidth that it is today.

Likewise with The Nashville Network, which was an awesome country and western channel.  Then they became the inscrutable "The National Network", and finally SpikeTV.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/20/10 at 8:03 pm

That's why I keep all the music and stuff I like on DVD and cd to enjoy as I please. Waiting for vh1 to show Prince is like waiting for hell to freeze over. It might happen, but chances are it won't.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/21/10 at 7:41 am

That's why I keep all the music and stuff I like on DVD and cd to enjoy as I please. Waiting for vh1 to show Prince is like waiting for hell to freeze over. It might happen, but chances are it won't.  ;)

plus you have youtube and dailymotion to watch and listen to all the music you want.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/22/10 at 12:15 am

plus you have youtube and dailymotion to watch and listen to all the music you want.

...until Prince suffers his latest anyuerism and pulls all the audio from his videos. He did me a favor pulling the sound from "Scandalous" now it looks like he's pole dancing for 4 and half minutes. Cracked all my friends up.  ;D Funniest video to me now.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/10 at 6:46 am

That's why people need to put reality shows on Reality TV,leave VH1 and MTV for all the music and classic stuff. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/10 at 9:00 am

...until Prince suffers his latest anyuerism and pulls all the audio from his videos. He did me a favor pulling the sound from "Scandalous" now it looks like he's pole dancing for 4 and half minutes. Cracked all my friends up.  ;D Funniest video to me now.

He's almost as uptight as The Rolling Stones...and almost as rich!  Can't the Purple Man deal with me wanting to watch "Delirious" and not pay?
Prince misses the opportunity to advertise his products before his Youtube videos.  That way he could boost his sales without his fans thinking he's a prick. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/blob5.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/24/10 at 7:23 pm

He's almost as uptight as The Rolling Stones...and almost as rich!  Can't the Purple Man deal with me wanting to watch "Delirious" and not pay?

Every time someone plays his music without him getting a cut, he's like, "Goonie-goo-goo!" and he throws a shoe at someone like some angry shoe-throwin-mother!

Prince misses the opportunity to advertise his products before his Youtube videos.  That way he could boost his sales without his fans thinking he's a prick.  

Too late.

http://www.morethings.com/music/prince/prince_rogers_nelson_images/prince-rogers-nelson-super-bowl-phallic-guitar-shadow.jpg

But the guy can still play guitar, so I'll give him that. 

Check for new replies or respond here...