inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How was your 2010?

Written By: sonikuu on 12/20/10 at 2:05 pm

Alright, now that the year is practically over, let's hear how the year was for you. 

Well, I loved 2010.  It's quite honestly been the best year of my life so far and the year that saw so much personal development on my part.  On January 1st, I was fairly introverted, stayed inside most of the time, had a few friends but we didn't hang out too much.  Now, I'm got a wider circle, am always going out, am very sociable, go to parties regularly, etc.  I did so many new stuff in 2010 too, really expanded my horizons.  I also FINALLY got to fulfill my dream of going abroad, having studied in Japan for five weeks over the summer.  It was an amazing and, believe it or not, life-changing experience.  But it was so short!  So now my goal is to study abroad there for one academic year over the course of 2011-2012.

Some say 2010 flew by.  For me, since 2010 was so full of personal change, it feels more like two years instead of one.  The time before I go to Japan is one year, and the time after is another.  It was a LONG year, but I didn't mind since it was a great one.  In short, it was a really great year that I would definitely do all over again.  I now look forward to 2011 being even better.

Subject: Re: How was your 2010?

Written By: Creeder on 12/20/10 at 3:12 pm

I saw the big four of thrash metal playing together and it rocked. 8)

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 3:39 pm

2010 was ok for me,had it's ups and downs,I think most of the year was thinking about Pathmark and when it would be closing then it finally closes on October 13th then I get transferred to another one a week later to Ozone Park.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/10 at 4:21 pm

2010 was ok for me,had it's ups and downs,I think most of the year was thinking about Pathmark and when it would be closing then it finally closes on October 13th then I get transferred to another one a week later to Ozone Park.

Sorry about Pathmark closing.  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/10 at 4:23 pm

2010 was the best year I've had ever because it was the year I got help for my depression and anxiety. I've had it since I was a little kid and now I'm medicated for it, I feel more stable than ever!

My grades at school skyrocketed in the fall.

The year could've been better though.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/20/10 at 6:21 pm

A great year for me, I saw Robin Trower in concert, met a certain girl who remains a close friend today, and started my online gaming on PSN.

I saw the big four of thrash metal playing together and it rocked. 8)

Seriously? METALLICA?! That is incredible. I have a friend on PlayStation Network who saw them.

Alright, now that the year is practically over, let's hear how the year was for you. 

Well, I loved 2010.  It's quite honestly been the best year of my life so far and the year that saw so much personal development on my part.  On January 1st, I was fairly introverted, stayed inside most of the time, had a few friends but we didn't hang out too much.  Now, I'm got a wider circle, am always going out, am very sociable, go to parties regularly, etc.  I did so many new stuff in 2010 too, really expanded my horizons.  I also FINALLY got to fulfill my dream of going abroad, having studied in Japan for five weeks over the summer.  It was an amazing and, believe it or not, life-changing experience.  But it was so short!  So now my goal is to study abroad there for one academic year over the course of 2011-2012.

Some say 2010 flew by.  For me, since 2010 was so full of personal change, it feels more like two years instead of one.  The time before I go to Japan is one year, and the time after is another.  It was a LONG year, but I didn't mind since it was a great one.  In short, it was a really great year that I would definitely do all over again.  I now look forward to 2011 being even better.

Wow, I want your life... I WANNA GO TO JAPAN NOW! Here's a quick tip when you get there: don't be drawn in by 2-pronged claw machines with highly-desirable prizes, they are even bigger ripoffs than the 3-pronged ones in America.

Good luck at the new Pathmark.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/10 at 7:34 pm

2010 kicked ass.

I landed a cool new job with a local company.

I also managed to royally screw over my former employer, they know it, and there was absolutely nothing that they could do about it, either.  ;D

Written By: nally on 12/20/10 at 7:39 pm

Some good things happened to me this year. I finally got a job, even though it was temporary (April to July)...but the important thing is that I was finally earning money, and I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. Also, I turned 30 in July and had a nice birthday celebration. :)

Written By: CeeKay on 12/20/10 at 7:44 pm

It's good to hear you all had a good 2010.  I must admit, the only thing more difficult for me than 2010 was, maybe, 2009.  Problems w/ my kids, loss of job, financial issues ... a very, very hard year.  BUT ... going into 2011 things are starting to look up.  If the end result is positive, then the rest is behind us.  8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/20/10 at 8:02 pm

I guess the year was alright for me. I got alot of new Michael Jackson things for my collection, which was nice. My relationship with Dion is going just as well. I still hate dialysis with a blind passion, but all in all, the year has been okay. I just don't know. Like this year has been the same as any other I suppose. I've had my ups and downs. The only things that bother me are the holiays because I miss my mom. So I'm pariticularly glad once the year flips overs. Music has royally died, but other than that, it was okay.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/20/10 at 9:26 pm

2010 for me was not necessarily a bad year, but not great either. It had its highs and lows. Like the OP, I'm living in Japan, but this is the 3rd and final year living here as I'll transfer to Italy next year.

The high points were when I was traveling. I went to Sapporo for the Snow Festival in Feb. In April, I took a road trip to some rural and traditional villages in Central Japan. In June, I visited Atlanta and Miami, and in November I visited Beijing, China. I also got my divorced finalized which is a good thing! The bad points are work related stress, relationship problems, and a lot of just general bad luck incidents. It seems like a lot things just did not go right for me this year.

Pop-culture wise, the lack of good music and good movies did not help in cheering me up when I was in a slump. I know I shouldn't base my life on pop-culture, but sometimes all I need is to listen to a good song or have a movie to look forward to seeing. Then again, it could be the moments of depression that might have prevented me from appreciating movies or music.

Overall, 2010 was a 4-year low point for me, as I felt this same way about 2006 (another year in which I had a lot of bad luck, and terrible music such as "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt.) I really liked 2008 and early 2009 a lot better (late 2009 was when a lot of my problems started). I think 2011 will be a year of change, as mentioned earlier I'll be working in anew place, in a new country, with people I don't know so I am kind of anxious about that, but I am excited about traveling around Europe.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/20/10 at 11:41 pm

2010 has been a very busy year for me. It was the year that I graduated from high school and started college. I'm loving college so far.  ;D

Also, this was the very first year I voted in an election. It was a learning experience for me, because I now know not to use those pain-in-the-ass electronic ballots again.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 12/21/10 at 7:30 am

Sorry about Pathmark closing.  :-\\

That's ok,I was transferred to another one. 

Written By: Howard on 12/21/10 at 7:34 am

Weather-wise this year has has been weird and wild for 2010 from heavy gusty thunderstorms to 2 feet of snow during the beginning of the year to the 103 degree heat during July,It was packed with craziness,It's unbelieveable.  :o

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/21/10 at 8:07 am

Pop-culture wise, the lack of good music and good movies did not help in cheering me up when I was in a slump. I know I shouldn't base my life on pop-culture, but sometimes all I need is to listen to a good song or have a movie to look forward to seeing. Then again, it could be the moments of depression that might have prevented me from appreciating movies or music.

Hey, you're living in Japan, good music should be easy to find! Psychic Lover, Iceman (disbanded, sadly), Masaki Endoh, X Japan, Girugamesh.... there's so many great bands there!

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/21/10 at 5:18 pm

2010 for me was not necessarily a bad year, but not great either. It had its highs and lows. Like the OP, I'm living in Japan, but this is the 3rd and final year living here as I'll transfer to Italy next year.

The high points were when I was traveling. I went to Sapporo for the Snow Festival in Feb. In April, I took a road trip to some rural and traditional villages in Central Japan. In June, I visited Atlanta and Miami, and in November I visited Beijing, China. I also got my divorced finalized which is a good thing! The bad points are work related stress, relationship problems, and a lot of just general bad luck incidents. It seems like a lot things just did not go right for me this year.

Overall, 2010 was a 4-year low point for me, as I felt this same way about 2006 (another year in which I had a lot of bad luck, and terrible music such as "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt.) I really liked 2008 and early 2009 a lot better (late 2009 was when a lot of my problems started). I think 2011 will be a year of change, as mentioned earlier I'll be working in anew place, in a new country, with people I don't know so I am kind of anxious about that, but I am excited about traveling around Europe.

Are you traveling as part of your job? That sounds like my ideal job!

What are you doing in Japan? What kind of job do you have, exactly?

Written By: Howard on 12/22/10 at 6:50 am

I think 2010 brought on a whole lot of sadness in the industries with deaths and stuff. :(

Written By: mooster on 12/23/10 at 9:48 pm

Excellent - 2011 is looking ever better 8)

Written By: Howard on 12/24/10 at 6:41 am

I think money-wise It was ok but towards the end of the year I got back some money that Social Security paid me back for.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/24/10 at 7:23 am

WORST...YEAR...EVER!...So Far....

Despite living with my brother and seeing The Moody Blues, Ringo Starr, and "Weird Al" Yankovic in concert...things were VERY down this year!

My dog died, My dad's business didn't do well, I got a pay-cut of 20% though I got back 5%, My Great-Grandma died, and I didn't get to go anywhere this Summer that I wanted to go to!

That's why I said "fudge It!...I have to get myself a car as soon as possible, drive it around a block or two, and if I'm good at it...I'm going on a Road Trip...By Myself"!

Written By: CeeKay on 12/24/10 at 9:23 am

WORST...YEAR...EVER!...So Far....

That's why I said "fudge It!...I have to get myself a car as soon as possible, drive it around a block or two, and if I'm good at it...I'm going on a Road Trip...By Myself"!

Sorry about all the tough stuff in 2010.  If you want, drive by here and pick me up.  I'm all for a roadtrip myself!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/24/10 at 9:36 am

2010 started out crappy for me, I was stuck in a very physically job I hated with lame days off (Sunday, Monday and Thursday) so I had no social life and I was pretty miserable.

Then in June I finally got a new job driving locally around Kansas City (which was exactly what I was hoping for) that pays decent and has weekends off.

I got a new car in October, and then, most importantly, I met a really cool woman online about a month ago, we've been dating regularly ever since, and so far we really seem to be getting along great.

What a difference a year makes.  :) :) :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/24/10 at 5:33 pm

I've had better years, but like, I didn't die, so I guess 2010 wasn't so bad after all.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/24/10 at 6:38 pm

I've had better years, but like, I didn't die, so I guess 2010 wasn't so bad after all.  ;D

True! :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/24/10 at 9:37 pm

You probably need more driving experience, and/or a sufficiently reliable car to make that work.

Having said that, everyone should to at least one road trip in their lives.  I crossed off most of the rest of my bucket list on a road trip in 2010, and the last two realistically-achievable items on the list were taken care of on that roadtrip.  Plan it out, take months/years to plan it out if you must, but find every place within a couple hours' drive of "wherever you're going to end up" that day, and live your life on the road, finding something new to do every day for a week or two.  If you're low on options and in the middle of nowhere, pick the nearest national park.  (And get the $80 annual pass - best entertainment bargain in history.)  Good for everything from random parks that nobody's ever heard of to the Grand Canyon itself.

Now Playing: Night Ranger, You Can Still Rock In America.  (If you want a 90s equivalent, try Team America: America, F*bleep*k Yeah!, and sing it like you mean it.)

Anyways, I lucked out and had a good 2010.  And a road trip was part of it.  Moving on...

Written By: Howard on 12/25/10 at 6:39 am

me neither,I'm still here. ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/25/10 at 6:41 am

2010,I didn't get into a relationship but I'm hoping I have some time in 2011 for at least a relationship,I've been so occupied with work lately.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/25/10 at 7:12 am

You probably need more driving experience, and/or a sufficiently reliable car to make that work.

Having said that, everyone should to at least one road trip in their lives.  I crossed off most of the rest of my bucket list on a road trip in 2010, and the last two realistically-achievable items on the list were taken care of on that roadtrip.  Plan it out, take months/years to plan it out if you must, but find every place within a couple hours' drive of "wherever you're going to end up" that day, and live your life on the road, finding something new to do every day for a week or two.  If you're low on options and in the middle of nowhere, pick the nearest national park.  (And get the $80 annual pass - best entertainment bargain in history.)  Good for everything from random parks that nobody's ever heard of to the Grand Canyon itself.

Now Playing: Night Ranger, You Can Still Rock In America.  (If you want a 90s equivalent, try Team America: America, F*bleep*k Yeah!, and sing it like you mean it.)

Anyways, I lucked out and had a good 2010.  And a road trip was part of it.  Moving on...

And if I have NO Car after Labor Day of 2011...I'm planning a Bus Trip!

Written By: bigdsketch on 12/30/10 at 2:57 am

The first part of 2010 was AWESOME!! It was my last semester of high school, i was always with my friends just enjoying life,graduated, fell in love.........................then came June (post graduation) and everything fell apart like the girl i fell in love with calling me 3 days after my birthday to tell me she was dating some other dude, losing most of my friends, becoming the third wheel among my best friend and my little brother, pretty much staying throughout the rest of 2010 lonely, jobless, and pretty much bummed out the whole time  :\'(..............so i'm ready for 2O11 to come so i can get a new start on life.  ;D  Or at least just a new start.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/10 at 6:52 am

I think health-wise,I did ok for food even though on some occasions I didn't eat quite as good,I always had Tex Mex on Thursdays or Fridays but I don't really eat TexMex as much but I do enjoy having Pathmark's subs with chips and drink,one of the healthiest choices I've made.

Written By: CeeKay on 12/30/10 at 7:54 am

I'm happy because 2010 is ending on a positive note.  Things are better now than they've been all year for the most part, and I'm honestly grateful.

Written By: Henk on 12/30/10 at 8:40 am

I dunno... 2010 wasn't the best year ever for me, but like Patty said: I didn't die, so it's not ALL bad.

I've been down with the flu twice this year. Unusual for me, as I generally manage to steer clear of any mayor sickness. I guess I've been too careless with my health this year (I blame it on my neighbors and work).

No, I won't be sad when 2010 is over.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/01/11 at 11:36 am

It was a mixed bag of positive and negative. The good things that happened were making a new friend, my cousin getting married and moving bedrooms. The bad things that happened were losing a friend and falling out with one of my support staff.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 01/01/11 at 4:11 pm

2010 has been pretty awesome for me, way better than 2009, or atleast the first half of it. I made many new friends and started going to parties, probably as a result of starting high school. I hope this year is gonna be great too!

Written By: Howard on 01/01/11 at 6:52 pm

I think my 2010 was ok,It had it's ups and downs,can't complain though I wished I would've gotten a promotion at The Garden City Park Pathmark earlier this year if they didn't close down but they snubbed my request. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...