inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Am I the only one who thinks CGI is becoming *too* overused?

Written By: Shiv on 12/26/10 at 10:41 pm

I don't dislike CGI. When done well and in moderation, CGI is great.

However, I do not like that it has replaced...everything. There is just too much of it. Its everywhere. I miss the creativity, soul, the ART of stop-motion, models, claymation, traditional animation, etc. Some may argue that these forms are old fashioned compared to CG, and maybe thats true, but still why cant CG and the other mediums coexist? They have pleasing asethetics and creativity that CG lacks.

I understand part of the CGI explosion in the late 90s-early 00s was as a backlash against how formulatic traditional animation had gotten. But....that was a long time ago now, and lots (not all) of CGI movies are becoming formulatic themselves.

I just hope other mediums get more love in the 10s, compared to the 00s.

Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks CGI is becoming *too* overused?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/10 at 5:48 am

I agree.

The other CGI-like thing that annoys me to no end is the common use of pixellation on TV any more.  Back before pixellation, production crews actually had to plan their shots.  Now they just use pixellation to cover for their mistakes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/10 at 4:46 pm

I agree.

The other CGI-like thing that annoys me to no end is the common use of pixellation on TV any more.  Back before pixellation, production crews actually had to plan their shots.  Now they just use pixellation to cover for their mistakes.

Like ivy on bad architecture.  It shows.  CGI does not hide from me crummy directing, crummy camera work, crummy story lines, crummy dialogue, and crummy acting.  A mediocre composer such as David Cope will chase Bach with computerized perfection, but it doesn't show any soul, depth, or wit.  Computers cannot make great art.  They help great artists make great art and they help sh*tty artists make sh*tty art, but they don't help sh*tty artists make great art!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/coffee.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/27/10 at 8:22 pm

Computers cannot make great art.  They help great artists make great art and they help sh*tty artists make sh*tty art, but they don't help sh*tty artists make great art!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/coffee.gif

What about helping great artists make sh**ty art???  :o :o :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozMDzOAGxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16_8l0yS-g&feature=related

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/27/10 at 8:32 pm

And HOLY F**KING SH*T...

...it's SHARKTOPUS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK2bBfuepKk

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/27/10 at 8:42 pm

And HOLY F**KING SH*T...

...it's SHARKTOPUS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK2bBfuepKk

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Awwww man, I missed this one. 

Written By: Dagwood on 12/27/10 at 8:43 pm

I loved Sharktopus.  I love cheesy movies like that. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/27/10 at 8:49 pm

I never did actually see it, but it definitely looks awesomely bad.  8)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/27/10 at 8:54 pm

It was awesomely bad.  I loved every dang minute of it. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/28/10 at 5:44 am

Let's hope that Sharktopus 3-D is in the works...  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/28/10 at 7:06 am

Let's hope that Sharktopus 3-D is in the works...  ;)

That would be excellent on the big screen ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/28/10 at 6:38 pm

I never actually saw this on SyFy, but I am thinking I've just got to get Sharktopus on DVD when it comes out.

You think it would be worth it, Dag?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/28/10 at 8:25 pm

I never actually saw this on SyFy, but I am thinking I've just got to get Sharktopus on DVD when it comes out.

You think it would be worth it, Dag?

If you love awesomely bad movies it would be totally worth it. ;D

Written By: Shiv on 12/28/10 at 10:49 pm

Disney (who is arguably what most people think of when they think " hand drawn animation") put out Princess and the frog, which was hand-drawn, last year and it didn't do great. It didn't bomb, but its box office take was pretty mediocre. However this year they put out Tangled, which was CG, and it did way better. A lot of people have said that Tangled was way better than PatF story-wise and that patf's "princess" theme and marketing turned off boys and adults , so maybe that's why, but it still doesn't help traditional animation/SFX's case. Who knows, maybe it'll take another 5-10 years before traditional animation forms are appreciated again. Maybe they never will be and it'll go down in history as a strictly 20th century thing.

I think Gen Yers who grew up during the 90s animation renaissance will begin to get nostalgic for the old-school styles as they get older and have families and will want to share them with their kids...that might lead to a comeback. One thing I've noticed with a lot of my fellow Gen Yers is a lot of them still watch, or at least have an appreciation for, animation. They don't have as much of the "animation is just for kids" mentality. So who knows.

ps. that new Yogi Bear movie looks terrible. It would've been a somewhat interesting movie in, say, 2001, but in almost 2011 it looks very bland and formulaic.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 3:01 am

I don't dislike CGI. When done well and in moderation, CGI is great.

However, I do not like that it has replaced...everything. There is just too much of it. Its everywhere. I miss the creativity, soul, the ART of stop-motion, models, claymation, traditional animation, etc. Some may argue that these forms are old fashioned compared to CG, and maybe thats true, but still why cant CG and the other mediums coexist? They have pleasing asethetics and creativity that CG lacks.

I understand part of the CGI explosion in the late 90s-early 00s was as a backlash against how formulatic traditional animation had gotten. But....that was a long time ago now, and lots (not all) of CGI movies are becoming formulatic themselves.

I just hope other mediums get more love in the 10s, compared to the 00s.

Nope, you're not the only one. I heard this complaint starting about in 2008 and even more in 2009 by alot of people. It just looks so fake sometimes.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/29/10 at 6:52 am

Not only am I getting sick of nothing but CGI movies, I'm also getting really sick of 3D. It's getting way overused. Of course, today's kids want nothing but computer-animated films in 3D. I hate kids sometimes.  >:(

Written By: Shiv on 12/29/10 at 12:51 pm

Not only am I getting sick of nothing but CGI movies, I'm also getting really sick of 3D. It's getting way overused. Of course, today's kids want nothing but computer-animated films in 3D. I hate kids sometimes.  >:(

3D is just a gimmick to get people back into theaters. Most of the time its not even done well. Its a fad. The novelty will wear off eventually.

I liked the idea CGI movies when they were new....but after a decade of nothing but CGI all the time everywhere, its gotten a little old. I want some variety again.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/29/10 at 8:31 pm

Not only am I getting sick of nothing but CGI movies, I'm also getting really sick of 3D. It's getting way overused. Of course, today's kids want nothing but computer-animated films in 3D. I hate kids sometimes.  >:(

What's even worse it that there's an overabundance of truly sh*tty children's programs on TV that are made out of nothing but CGI. And I agree, the CGI thing is being way overdone as far as movies go too.

Having said that, if for every 10 crappy CGI kid movies we get one truly awesome CGI B-movie such as Sharktopus, then as far as I'm concerned it makes it worth while.  :D'
'
Also, I predict that by 2020 the price of the CGI software (along with the continued dramatic increase in the power of home computers) will drop to the point where the average person will be able to make Hollywood-quality (quality being a relative term, of course) CGI movies in their own homes.

If and when this finally comes true, I will at long last be able to bring to the light of day my dream project: Ralphie, The Evil, Manipulative Dog.  :o :o :o

Check for new replies or respond here...