inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Australia floods: New storm forecast for Queensland

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/11 at 11:07 am

A severe thunderstorm threatening flash floods has been forecast for the already badly inundated Australian state of Queensland.

More than 20 towns have already been cut off or flooded across an area larger than France and Germany, with more than 200,000 people affected.

Meanwhile, a woman swept from the road in her car has become the first victim of the widespread flooding.

At least two other people have been reported missing.

In some areas waters are receding, but in Rockhampton - a city of 77,000 - they have yet to reach their peak.

Floodwaters could reach nine metres (30 feet) on Monday and peak at 9.4 metres on Wednesday.

Subject: Re: Australia floods: New storm forecast for Queensland

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/11 at 11:08 am

The big question is...

Is Gibbo (Pete) affected by this?

Written By: mooster on 01/02/11 at 5:58 pm

The big question is...

It's pretty bad - but Brisbane is not affected - yet..

Written By: gibbo on 01/02/11 at 5:58 pm

The big question is...

Thanks for asking Philip. The answer is ...No!  Brisbane has had only some very minor flash flooding. Central Queensland is inundated.

I wouldn't be a farmer for anything!  Last year they couldn't bring in a crop due to the drought that had lasted several years. Then they got good rains and were able to plant again. The rains returned ... and didn't stop. The crop is now destroyed. We (in the city) can now expect the prices of almost all produce to rise sharply. At least all our dams (which were drought affected ... and we were on  water restrictions) are at 140%.

Written By: gibbo on 01/02/11 at 5:59 pm

It's pretty bad - but Brisbane is not affected - yet..

Hello there...good to hear from you.  :)

Written By: mooster on 01/02/11 at 6:05 pm

Hello there...good to hear from you.  :)

You too :) I wondered where you'd got to! Happy 2011  :)

Written By: seamermar on 01/04/11 at 12:38 pm

It is reassuring Pete is not in water up past his knees.  :) I'm glad you are just a clerk instead a farmer, man.
I too much often watch on TV cicadas marching accross the land of Aussies.
Wildfires devasting houses, farms and forests, and wild gusty winds blasting cliffs, beaches and ships.
Maybe it was the ghost from the billlabong paying back the stolen sheep.
So it seems Gibbo, you will still be Waltzing Matilda till the reckoning day.

I own up I get some sort of sorry when I learn troubles haunt some pal.

In here floods in the south push some towns into troubles as well.

There's a saying in Spain....A la orilla del río no hagas el nido. (  If you want to rest, then on a bank of a river don't built your nest )

I'm glad it wasn't serious and

Cheerio Gibbo

Written By: mooster on 01/11/11 at 1:19 am

The big question is...

He might be now  :-\\ :o :(

City empties as Brisbane River breaks banks

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8194723/instant-inland-tsunami-kills-four

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/11 at 3:27 am

He might be now  :-\\ :o :(

City empties as Brisbane River breaks banks

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8194723/instant-inland-tsunami-kills-four

While many will lose their material belongs, home (and possibly their lives) in the next couple of days....I will not be one of them. Where I live should be high and dry (away from the wall of water coming down our river system. I work at Southbank (close to the river) and we were all told to leave at midday today. I don't believe I will be able to get back into our office until Monday ...and that will depend upon whether the river came into our 8 story building or not. If it does, the lifts will be affected immediately as they start in the basement (where the car parking is)...and that will mean only stairwell access (and obviously nowhere to park etc).

My biggest problem will be getting the employees paid (as I work in payroll). I ensured that those with Wednesday and Thursday pay days would receive something on those days. It won't be correct .... but it should keep them fed and pay the bills etc. However, I probably won't be able to make the Friday payroll deadline (and that payment includes myself).

If I can't work...I'll volunteer my services in cleaning up some of the harder hit areas. There were some frightening images coming out of the inland city of Toowoomba yesterday... :o

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/11 at 4:18 am

Here is an aerial view of the centre of Brisbane. The river is very old and meanders its way across the city. This is why, when it breaks its banks, it can be devastating.

The 2nd pic shows the area where I work during the last big flood (in 1974). Most of those buildings have been torn down since those days (and the river front is a big park). My building is situated in that flooded street in the middle of the photo. This flood is predicted to be as larger (if not larger).  :-\\

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q474/gibbo4/flood1.jpg

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q474/gibbo4/flood2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/11/11 at 6:47 am

Here is an aerial view of the centre of Brisbane. The river is very old and meanders its way across the city. This is why, when it breaks its banks, it can be devastating.

The 2nd pic shows the area where I work during the last big flood (in 1974). Most of those buildings have been torn down since those days (and the river front is a big park). My building is situated in that flooded street in the middle of the photo. This flood is predicted to be as larger (if not larger).  :-\\

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q474/gibbo4/flood1.jpg

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q474/gibbo4/flood2.jpg

Wow,that's huge.  :o

Written By: seamermar on 01/11/11 at 11:04 am

I feel sorry Pete  :\'( but with a sigh of relief knowing you are dry and safe from that terrifying kinda disaster.

Dont forget the wellingtons if you gonna help to clean your town  ;)
And take care of yourslef we need our aussie clerk in the payment deal again.

As for flooding in here we know well, what water can do and wash away.
Valencia was devasted by floodings long ago, just two years before I was born.

Since then we have changed the course of the river, makeing the city a safer place to live.
In fact the brand-new neighborg of town is actually in the old river who feared the town.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=531993

An good action to mention is an American war ship named  “Lake Champlain” sailing between Palma and Barcelona, altered its course to help my town at the  time.

Longing for knowing good hopeful news from Bisbane Gibbo

Take a bit of karma, to shovel all the mud you can my pal.  ;)

Written By: Henk on 01/11/11 at 12:51 pm

Heard the news about the floods approaching Brisbane... Hope it won't hit you too hard.

Meanwhile, a woman swept from the road in her car has become the first victim of the widespread flooding.

At least two other people have been reported missing.

Last I heard, still 72 people were reported missing... :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/11 at 4:25 pm

I feel sorry Pete  :\'( but with a sigh of relief knowing you are dry and safe from that terrifying kinda disaster.

Dont forget the wellingtons if you gonna help to clean your town  ;)
And take care of yourslef we need our aussie clerk in the payment deal again.

As for flooding in here we know well, what water can do and wash away.
Valencia was devasted by floodings long ago, just two years before I was born.

Since then we have changed the course of the river, makeing the city a safer place to live.
In fact the brand-new neighborg of town is actually in the old river who feared the town.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=531993

An good action to mention is an American war ship named  “Lake Champlain” sailing between Palma and Barcelona, altered its course to help my town at the  time.

Longing for knowing good hopeful news from Bisbane Gibbo

Take a bit of karma, to shovel all the mud you can my pal.  ;)

Wow Paco!!  :o  That 1957 flood was sure devastating..... and they didn't have the equipment back then to quickly clean up afterwords too.  It was a mighty effort (and visionary) to change that rivers course and make the city safer for the future.

PS....Thanks for the card. It just arrived yesterday.  :)

Written By: seamermar on 01/11/11 at 4:43 pm

you're welcome Pete  ;) at least a little good came from the sky in your city Gibbo.
I hope summer soon works and makes the region a better place to come and go.

I feel worry for one of my last posts, where I foretold likey floods after severe drought  :-[

I have to learn to keep my mouth shup up when it comes to talk about partner's harshness climate  :-X

Written By: karen on 01/19/11 at 8:23 am

So did this story in Tuesday's Sun make the news anywhere else?

...a man used a BLOW UP DOLL as a buoyancy aid in a desperate bid to get out of a swollen river in Australia. This couple, both 19, had gone for a paddle but got into difficulty after falling off the doll on the Victoria river.

Rescuers brought a blanket so the girl could preserve her modesty - she lost her bikini bottoms in the raging water.

Angry cops gave the pair a ticking off before warning them that sex dolls are "not recognised flotation devices".

That last bit has to be quote of the day!

Written By: gibbo on 01/19/11 at 6:37 pm

So did this story in Tuesday's Sun make the news anywhere else?

...a man used a BLOW UP DOLL as a buoyancy aid in a desperate bid to get out of a swollen river in Australia. This couple, both 19, had gone for a paddle but got into difficulty after falling off the doll on the Victoria river.

Rescuers brought a blanket so the girl could preserve her modesty - she lost her bikini bottoms in the raging water.

Angry cops gave the pair a ticking off before warning them that sex dolls are "not recognised flotation devices".

That last bit has to be quote of the day!

I hadn't even seen that story. Of course, all Australians own an unrecognised flotation device!  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...