inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Return of rap and hiphop ?

Written By: the stranger101 on 01/05/11 at 11:14 am

Hey ,

Im in high school, and i recently noticed a return to hip hop and rap music again just like the early 00s .
A while back everyone was into Ke$ha and all that new stuff , but now everyones into rap and hip hop for some reason ?

The songs are a  mix of 00s music .

It started at my high school and now im seeing it every were on the streets ?

Last year this time everyone was into Techno and all that  ? ?

strange eh

Subject: Re: Return of rap and hiphop ?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/05/11 at 11:56 am

NO! PLEASE! I want some funk/soul music to return (with only a little rap here and there).

Written By: tv on 01/05/11 at 12:04 pm

NO! PLEASE! I want some funk/soul music to return (with only a little rap here and there).
If its rap like "Bruno Mars" or B.O.B. I don't mind. If its the 00's brand of rap let it die especially the ringtone stuff.

Written By: the stranger101 on 01/05/11 at 12:12 pm

Dolla is pretty big

Specially ( make a toast )

R.I.P DOLLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhUfsRhW-T4

Written By: Emman on 01/05/11 at 12:26 pm

I haven't noticed any return in hip-hop, in fact, quite the opposite.

Written By: Shiv on 01/05/11 at 12:45 pm

What high school do you go to...raps been waning in popularity for about 2 or 3 years now. Are you referring to the newer stuff like B.o.B?

Written By: Howard on 01/05/11 at 1:31 pm

I grew up with funk and soul music.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 1:55 pm

NO, PLEASE NO MORE RAP! I haven't noticed it except on channels like BET and MTV.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/11 at 2:09 pm

NO, PLEASE NO MORE RAP! I haven't noticed it except on channels like BET and MTV.

How about the return of disco?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 2:49 pm

How about the return of disco?

Disco is a saint compared to rap. Speaking of disco comeback, 2008 had the song "Dance Floor" in the arcade game DanceDanceRevolutionX, which was pretty much a 1-and-a-half minute disco song.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/05/11 at 3:50 pm

I'd like to see some new rap from Snoop and Dre like they did around 1993 or so. Maybe some stuff from Ice-T too.

As for hip hop, how about some Will Smith stuff like he did on 'Willennium'? ????

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 01/05/11 at 4:20 pm

I remember in 2009 people were saying that hip-hop was dead. After a few awful years for the genre (particularly 2007, with "hits" like Party Like a Rockstar, This is Why I'm Hot, Crank That (Soulja Boy), and A Bay Bay, lost a lot of credibility. By that time, 50 Cent was pretty much past his peak in popularity as well, and the only real, hot mainstream rappers to my memory were Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Jay-Z. Even Eminem's return album Relapse wasn't a huge hit.

I feel that 2010, however, was a GREAT year for hip hop. Of course, Eminem had his huge comeback, Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 remained very popular, Kid Cudi who came out in 2009 gained a lot of populariy, Kanye released his much acclaimed album, new rappers like B.O.B. and Drake became big. Most of the hip hop that's come out over the past year has been decent at worst, not like some of the crap that had been popular for much of the 00s, so I'm happy to see the genre make somewhat of a return under the given circumstances.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 5:51 pm

I'd like to see some new rap from Snoop and Dre like they did around 1993 or so. Maybe some stuff from Ice-T too.

As for hip hop, how about some Will Smith stuff like he did on 'Willennium'? ????

If we have to get any hiphop, it should be stuff like MC Hammer and Beastie Boys.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/11 at 7:51 pm

To be honest I don't think rap and hiphop is going to bow out of the limelight completely until 2020. Sure, it is and will be no longer dominate, but we'll still hear it here and there between now and 2020. I predict by 2020, hip hop and rap will be out of style.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 8:50 pm

To be honest I don't think rap and hiphop is going to bow out of the limelight completely until 2020. Sure, it is and will be no longer dominate, but we'll still hear it here and there between now and 2020. I predict by 2020, hip hop and rap will be out of style.

But the damage has already been done.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/11 at 8:57 pm

But the damage has already been done.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.  ;D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 8:59 pm

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.  ;D

Just the fact that the black population has been discriminated due to rap and hip hop.

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/05/11 at 10:48 pm

:)

Hello! If you check out Itunes you can get a good idea about the music of this year. Black Eyed Peas is coming out with an amazing album and of course Kanye's album will pick up speed this year. Don't forget Lil Wayne and Dre have albums this year... Also I think 00s rap is out with a more dance/80s retro version emerging. Gangsta rap is gone only because gangs themselves and crime in general is down. Technology rules and as a result, whatever sounds techy/modern will win. I personally think Bruno Mars and B.O.B type rap sucks.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/06/11 at 12:08 am

I don't notice any kind of rap return, though I liked the '00s rap era so it wouldn't bother me if it did.  Rap in 2011 will more than likely be much like rap in 2010...a rap verse thrown in a much more melodic song.  Crank Dat Soulja Boy type stuff isn't selling.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 6:39 am

I'd like to see that.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 6:41 am

If we have to get any hiphop, it should be stuff like MC Hammer and Beastie Boys.

like more MC Hammer and Beastie Boys music from the early 90's.

Written By: tv on 01/06/11 at 1:50 pm

like more MC Hammer and Beastie Boys music from the early 90's.
The Beastie Boys were hot in 1986. Remember "You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party" song?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/11 at 6:56 pm

Just the fact that the black population has been discriminated due to rap and hip hop.

i think the discrimination started well before the rise of rap and hip hop.

Besides, if you want to experience DISCRIMINATION, try being a white guy who wants to be a rapper.  Not many make it because they are usually immediately dismissed by the core rap audience...  With the Beastie Boyz and Enema-N being the rare exceptions.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 7:21 pm

The Beastie Boys were hot in 1986. Remember "You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party" song?

Yeah Who doesn't,What a cool video. 8)

Written By: Midas on 01/07/11 at 12:35 am

Return?  It hasn't really left yet...

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 6:58 am

bring back old school rap,I mean "real" old school.

Written By: Shiv on 01/07/11 at 1:14 pm

I think Alternative/indie hip hop will keep it alive in the 10s. But after that who knows.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/07/11 at 2:02 pm

Return?  It hasn't really left yet...
It's not nearly as big as it was in say 2005 or so.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 7:00 pm

It's not nearly as big as it was in say 2005 or so.

But it was huge in 1983/84.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/07/11 at 7:09 pm

But it was huge in 1983/84.
Really? I didn't think Rap got popular until the late 80s?

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 7:49 pm

Really? I didn't think Rap got popular until the late 80s?

well RG it was sort of like fun rap,Sugarhill Gang,Run DMC,Secret Weapon.

Check for new replies or respond here...