inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This truly is a new Decade!

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/05/11 at 11:39 pm

A lot of what defined the previous decade or two seems to be going the way of the Dodo.

Dig this:
Oprah is no longer on ABC
Lost is completely over
Tiger Woods seems to have lost his abilities, although he could always return lol
Robert Gibbs is no longer the press secretary for Obama

Anything else that no longer will exist this coming year and decade as compared to 2009/2010 and before??

Subject: Re: This truly is a new Decade!

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/11 at 11:53 pm

If you're talking about the Oprah Winfrey talk show that was never on ABC it's a syndicated show that aired on abc affiliates in some markets and other affiliates in other markets.  In my area it airs on the NBc affilaye and has since I moves here in 1996.

If your talking about the dew prime time specials oprahs done over the years that aired on abc. Well you're right but with the creation of her own network it makes no sense to give her exclusive productions to abc. Or PBS (where some of her other specials have aired.)

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/06/11 at 12:00 am

If you're talking about the Oprah Winfrey talk show that was never on ABC it's a syndicated show that aired on abc affiliates in some markets and other affiliates in other markets.  In my area it airs on the NBc affilaye and has since I moves here in 1996.

If your talking about the dew prime time specials oprahs done over the years that aired on abc. Well you're right but with the creation of her own network it makes no sense to give her exclusive productions to abc. Or PBS (where some of her other specials have aired.)

Yeah, I didn't know she was on NBC as well. Even so, the fact that she is now on OWN is still quite the divergence. If somebody was used to watching her on broadcast previously, they now need cable/satellite to watch her. I'm also not actually sure that she is even going to do a talk show as such. She may have just leapt to being a Network head.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/06/11 at 12:16 am

Still feels like the late '00s to me.  The true '10s culture will slowly emerge but we probably won't be conscious of it until a few years after it has really set in. 

Written By: Shiv on 01/06/11 at 1:05 am

It won't truly be a new decade until about 2013.

Written By: Emman on 01/06/11 at 2:42 am

A lot of what defined the previous decade or two seems to be going the way of the Dodo.

Dig this:
Lost is completely over
Tiger Woods seems to have lost his abilities, although he could always return lol

Anything else that no longer will exist this coming year and decade as compared to 2009/2010 and before??

I personally think 2011 will be a changeful year, we should know what's coming up as the year goes by. Other things from the 00's that are dated are:
crunk
emo(although the fashion still lingers)
post-grunge
snap rap

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 6:35 am

I think also a lot of stores,and mom/pop groceries are saying bye bye such as Borders and Barnes/Noble because Nook And E-Readers are being bought,Blockbusters are filing for bankruptcy because Netflix is surging,Bowling alleys are dying out,old vintage record,CDs and cassette stores might be dying too cause all of this has to with the surgence of the internet.This is definitely a new decade,problem is nobody can hardly can keep up these days.  

Written By: Cory! on 01/06/11 at 10:19 am

Actually, not true. E-book sales and book sales are actually both way up. However your right about everything else pretty much, sadly. :/ Well except for the bowling alleys, they're ALWAYS packed around here and they're pretty much one of the best hang-out spots. :P But I don't care, I'm still buying my new music on CD/Vinyl. Vinyls more popular than its been in a LONG time...like at least 20 years long time, and hopefully CD sales might be stronger this year.

Written By: Shiv on 01/06/11 at 10:51 am

Yeah Howard bowling alleys aren't going anywhere. They're VERY popular with people of all ages. On some nights my friends and I are lucky if we can get a lane.

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/11 at 1:09 pm

@ Cory Howard was saying stores like barnes & noble and borders are seeing a decline in sales because of the ebook boom.

@ shiv bowling alleys are as popular or busy in all regions.

Written By: tv on 01/06/11 at 1:53 pm

Dig this:
Lost is completely over

Obama and Robert Gibbs are not actual 00's culture to me. They are more early 10's culture. The 2008 Presidential Election might be 00's culture or the mark of the end of the 00's culture.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/06/11 at 2:00 pm

Obama and Robert Gibbs are not actual 00's culture to me. They are more early 10's culture. The 2008 Presidential Election might be 00's culture or the mark of the end of the 00's culture.
Agreed. I consider 2008/2009 the end of 00s culture because Bush and Crunk were out and Electropop and Obama were in

Written By: tv on 01/06/11 at 2:34 pm

Agreed. I consider 2008/2009 the end of 00s culture because Bush and Crunk were out and Electropop and Obama were in
Nice pairing with the Bush and Crunk and Obama and Electro-pop.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 7:23 pm

Yeah Howard bowling alleys aren't going anywhere. They're VERY popular with people of all ages. On some nights my friends and I are lucky if we can get a lane.

Does anyone bowl anymore,I think it was popular in the 70's and 80's.

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/11 at 8:13 pm

Does anyone bowl anymore,I think it was popular in the 70's and 80's.

People do still bowl. Tam bowls all the time but it's not popular everywhere.

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/11 at 8:29 pm

This I quite like.  I am not an Opeah fan at all.  When Conan beat her out to win the People's Choice Award last night, I was screaming with excitement.  "Finally, something that Oprah can't have" lol

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/11 at 9:14 pm

I hope Britney Spears goes away by 2012 for good, her music is awful!!  8-P

Written By: Emman on 01/06/11 at 11:46 pm

One thing I notice that is especially unique to the early 10's is the gay-centric pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 7:01 am

People do still bowl. Tam bowls all the time but it's not popular everywhere.

I don't bowl anymore,I was in a bowling league 10 years ago and after I strained my hamstring,I decided to give up bowling altogether,just have no interest in it.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 7:02 am

and her dance moves are too raunchy.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 01/07/11 at 10:33 am

lol, she's coming out with a new album in this March and her new single drops next Tuesday.  I don't think she is going anywhere too soon.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/07/11 at 11:02 am

and her dance moves are too raunchy.

Isn't that why so many people love her?  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/11 at 11:53 am

Yes!

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 7:02 pm

How about that lesbian smooch with Madonna 7 years ago? :o

Written By: Creeder on 01/08/11 at 2:17 am

One thing I notice that is especially unique to the early 10's is the gay-centric pop culture.

I agree. Gays are everywhere nowadays, so many pro-gay music and films are being made...

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 6:51 am

When are we going to see moving sidewalks?

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/08/11 at 12:49 pm

I hope we never see those. The last thing we need is another incentive for people to be lazy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/11 at 12:50 pm

We see them already at airports, Heathrow (in London) has one, and varies tube stations in London have some too.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 12:59 pm

I hope we never see those. The last thing we need is another incentive for people to be lazy.

I'm thinking about The Jetsons Era.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 1:00 pm

We see them already at airports, Heathrow (in London) has one, and varies tube stations in London have some too.

like escalators? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/11 at 1:01 pm

like escalators? ???
No, all on one levels, escalators go up and down.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 1:03 pm

No, all on one levels, escalators go up and down.

homes should have escalators,imagine how lazy we'd be?  ;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 4:58 pm

homes should have escalators,imagine how lazy we'd be?  ;D

This is the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9s7afoYI-M&feature=related  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 7:13 am

This is the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9s7afoYI-M&feature=related  ;D

A future of robots.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/11 at 6:21 am

Sorry, it still feels like the 00's to me.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:24 am

We went from Sony walkmans in the 80's to the Ipods of today.

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/18/11 at 9:49 pm

I gotta couple new changes I was thinking of that will make this decade truly different.

1. Larry King gone, Piers Morgan in?
2. Arnold no longer Governor
3. Mayor Daley of Chicago to be replaced (Rahm Emmanuel?  :P)
4. Regis is leaving his show
5. American Idol changes (obviously) May lead to the death of the show itself?
6. Last season of The Office with Steve Carrell.
7. Biggest Loser changing up hosts.

Most these changes aren't earth-shattering, but indicative of the new pop cultural landscape.

Any more?

Written By: Emman on 01/18/11 at 10:37 pm

It is the beginner, primitive "10's" now(2011), I think this year will probably start some new trends for the next few years, I think the next phase might kick in around 2014/2015. 2011 probably has an equal amount of elements from both decades(00's and 10's). It does not really "feel" like the 00's anymore to me, that decade ended in 2008 for me ;D(and alot of other people too). Some of the culture is still clinging to things from the 00's like reality tv and some fashion though. If I had to characterize the "feel" of the early 10's, it would be a very electro/neon, kind of "trippy, out there"(Lady Gaga, MGMT) feel, quite different from most of the 00's urban/skater more "minimalist" sense of stlye, which kind of carried over from the 90's a little(although it was still different in many ways). In the future I really do think the year 2008 will be seen as the pop cultural "end" of the 00's. R.I.P 00's 2001-2008.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/18/11 at 11:14 pm

Personally, my personal life is 80% better in the 2010s than in the 2000s.

I hope things go okay for everybody also.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/19/11 at 6:29 am

And to think the decade of the 70's started with The Atari System http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080102/Atari_2600.png

Then fast forward 30 years later,we now have XBoxes,PS2's and PS3's.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/11 at 6:31 am

4. Regis is leaving his show

He already mentioned that in today's news.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/19/11 at 7:45 am

And to think the decade of the 70's started with The Atari System http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080102/Atari_2600.png

Then fast forward 30 years later,we now have XBoxes,PS2's and PS3's.

Sorry, there hasn't been a major new video game console released since 2006. What's different this time is that the future of console gaming looks "cloudy" as gaming like other applications may move "into the cloud". The main support for games will be on one site, but the library of games you may have will be on a separate file storage system. The 2010s may eventually be the decade of "cloud gaming", where consoles are pretty much relegated to Blu-Ray/DVDs (and even these may move into the cloud via streaming such as Netflix). I feel like the "cloud computing" is the final, last big development in computers as it signals for independence from software and only requires hardware to view the software in the "cloud".

Written By: KayKay on 01/19/11 at 7:59 am

Sorry, there hasn't been a major new video game console released since 2006. What's different this time is that the future of console gaming looks "cloudy" as gaming like other applications may move "into the cloud". The main support for games will be on one site, but the library of games you may have will be on a separate file storage system. The 2010s may eventually be the decade of "cloud gaming", where consoles are pretty much relegated to Blu-Ray/DVDs (and even these may move into the cloud via streaming such as Netflix). I feel like the "cloud computing" is the final, last big development in computers as it signals for independence from software and only requires hardware to view the software in the "cloud".

That said - we are seeing the development of "console" add-on's such as kinekt(?) and obviously Nintendo's wii, which drift away from the conventional console gaming and into a more group orientated "get up and join in" sort of thing. (Which has good and bad points I think)...
I've gone through 4 different consoles and I'm not even that interested in gaming!

KKx

Ps: Phil - you forgot Gatwick's "Travelator"  :D

Written By: tv on 01/19/11 at 11:57 am

lol, she's coming out with a new album in this March and her new single drops next Tuesday.  I don't think she is going anywhere too soon.
Yeah her new song is probably gonna go to #1 this week unfortunately.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/11 at 1:32 pm

So why do they refer to it as "cloud gaming"?  ???

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 3:30 pm

it seems like a kind of limbo. musically it's still eminem pink britney so it is still pretty y2kish, but the sound is changing. its not totally gangster anymore.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/11 at 4:00 pm

it seems like a kind of limbo. musically it's still eminem pink britney so it is still pretty y2kish, but the sound is changing. its not totally gangster anymore.

Gangster was more late 80's early 90's.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/11 at 4:39 pm

Gangster was more late 80's early 90's.

Both the late 80s/early 90s AND the 00s are very "gangsta".

Written By: Emman on 02/04/11 at 5:47 pm

Both the late 80s/early 90s AND the 00s are very "gangsta".

80s fan, is that Mike Shinoda in your avatar? I think 2011 is towards to end of the "inbetween" period that is alittle bit of 00s and 10s. Gangsta rap was popular in the mainstream from 1992-1996, and if you count the 50 Cent/G-Unit stuff it could stretch to 2005-ish.

Written By: Shiv on 02/05/11 at 10:25 am

Gangsta rap's influence lasted well into the 00s.

Written By: Guest on 02/17/11 at 9:02 pm

TV shows are not this reality BS
The Republicans - I mean real Republicans, not these neo conservatives are in congress
Dance music is back
Bright colored clothing
Not every fad is some gadget/cell phone thing
ringtone rap is dead

Written By: joeman on 02/17/11 at 9:48 pm

Guys, Rap changes like every 3-4 years.  I mean there was at least 4 eras of rap in the 90s and 3 in the 00s.  Subgenres are a lot worse than Heavy Metal.

90s Rappers can range from Mc Hammer, Tupac, Master P, DMX, Sir Mix Alot, Eminem, Bone Thugs N Harmony, House Of Pain, etc...but they all had very different styles.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/11 at 6:25 am

90s Rappers can range from Mc Hammer, Tupac, Master P, DMX, Sir Mix Alot, Eminem, Bone Thugs N Harmony, House Of Pain, etc...but they all had very different styles.

And some of those rappers had very explicit lyrics.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/28/11 at 12:42 am

TV shows are not this reality BS
The Republicans - I mean real Republicans, not these neo conservatives are in congress
Dance music is back
Bright colored clothing
Not every fad is some gadget/cell phone thing
ringtone rap is dead

There was a lot of dance surgance of music in the late 90s and early 00s... it dies sometime during the middle of the decade and come back again..

well there's a thing caled social networking such as facebook, twitter, and the most ugliest invention of any social networking is chat roulette where the ratio between random people's and penises is lierally 1:4

my space and similar sorts like bebo and friendster (i think it almost died) is not as popular now... only for artists and online home shops basically...

Written By: ProfS on 03/04/11 at 6:00 pm

I think one of the major changes of this decade will be in the Arab world. This is like the fall of the Iron Curtain which helped mark the end of the 80s and the beginning of the 90s.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/11 at 7:44 pm

How about clothing styles too?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:50 am

I think one of the major changes of this decade will be in the Arab world. This is like the fall of the Iron Curtain which helped mark the end of the 80s and the beginning of the 90s.

YES! hopefully it will also end the 'Cold War' currently going on between the Western and Islamic blocs.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 12:53 pm

And I hope they'll be peace between 2 countries.

Check for new replies or respond here...