inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Written By: Baby on 01/07/11 at 12:06 am

What kind of impact do u think this album will have on pop music in the coming years. Personally I think there will be a huge wave of rappers trying to imitate this record, and there will also be alot of pop copying it's production style.

Subject: Re: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Written By: Cory! on 01/07/11 at 12:22 am

How about it'll have no impact at all. The album hasn't had one top 10 hit out of its, so far, 3 singles. The album might have had strong sales when it was first released, but the singles aren't charting too good. Basically, they're not really popular. The highest charting song he's had from the album was "Runaway", which charted at number 12 on the Hot 100. The other two, #18 & #22. Nobody really cares about Kanye or rap in general anymore.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/07/11 at 2:34 am

I wish it would have a major impact on Rap music.  It's a genuinely great album.  Yeah, many people hate Kanye and he's an asshole, but musically he's put out several great albums (808s and Heartbreak is the only questionable one) that are a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of what has passed for mainstream Rap in the past 10 years. 

Sadly, it's his least successful album so far in terms of chart success.  That's no surprise: its Kanye's been moving in a different direction with his music lately and history shows this to be a recipe for sales decline with many mainstream musicians.  For example, The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" album is now regarded as one of the best albums of the 20th century (got #2 on Rolling Stone's top 500 list and a high ranker on many other critics lists), but was regarded as a sales disappointment at the time. 

In any case, it'll age better than Ke$ha and Taio Cruz (though I admittedly like "Dynamite" and "Break My Heart" from Taio).

Written By: Creeder on 01/07/11 at 5:18 am

Its not a memorable record.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/11 at 6:42 am

I wish it would have a major impact on Rap music.  It's a genuinely great album.  Yeah, many people hate Kanye and he's an asshole, but musically he's put out several great albums (808s and Heartbreak is the only questionable one) that are a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of what has passed for mainstream Rap in the past 10 years. 

Yeah, Kanye is as asshole, but that can be said of about 90% of the people in entertainment.  I get tired of hearing about it. 

Written By: Shiv on 01/07/11 at 1:05 pm

How about it'll have no impact at all. The album hasn't had one top 10 hit out of its, so far, 3 singles. The album might have had strong sales when it was first released, but the singles aren't charting too good. Basically, they're not really popular. The highest charting song he's had from the album was "Runaway", which charted at number 12 on the Hot 100. The other two, #18 & #22. Nobody really cares about Kanye or rap in general anymore.

I was suprised when MBDTF went to #1 in the billboard 200 album charts, seeing that it hadn't/hasn't had any big hit singles and I thought nobody cared about Kanye at this point. Not to mention his previous album 808s & Heartbreak was a drastic change in style (autotuned electropop instead of rap). Maybe initial sales were good but I don't think the album is gonna have much of an impact.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/11 at 1:46 pm

I watched his 40 something minutes music video and it felt like he was trying waaaay too hard. Plus the Taylor Swift fiasco didn't exactly make him look good.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...