inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Going Green - Maybe I am Picky But...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/08/11 at 3:06 pm

With all the talk about "going green" why is it that store receipts seem to be getting bigger and bigger?

I went shopping at the local Giant Iggle today and got $40 worth of groceries.  That ain't much.

But I get a store receipt that was so darned big I have to fold it in two to fit it into my wallet.  Same thing at most stores these days.

What's with all of this paper waste?  It did not used to be that way.

Come on stores... GET GREENhttp://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/alien.gif

Subject: Re: Going Green - Maybe I am Picky But...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/11 at 10:38 pm

With all the talk about "going green" why is it that store receipts seem to be getting bigger and bigger?

I went shopping at the local Giant Iggle today and got $40 worth of groceries.  That ain't much.

But I get a store receipt that was so darned big I have to fold it in two to fit it into my wallet.  Same thing at most stores these days.

Come on stores... GET GREEN.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/alien.gif

Maybe they could let you record the receipt onto your store card.  Why not?  I'm so non-green I don't even bring my own reusable bags!
:-[

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/11 at 11:46 pm

I think they misunderstand going green for using green paper.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 7:04 am

How about they start using green paper from now on?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/09/11 at 8:38 am

yeah I know what you mean. a while back I got a single odd nut at Lowes, cost like 12c. the receipt and ink probably cost more than the nut did. of course, reducing paper waste is good, but not if it comes at the expense of advertising space - many receipts these days have ads on them.

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/11 at 9:12 am

yeah I know what you mean. a while back I got a single odd nut at Lowes, cost like 12c. the receipt and ink probably cost more than the nut did. of course, reducing paper waste is good, but not if it comes at the expense of advertising space - many receipts these days have ads on them.

Ant

Beat me to it.  A lot of it is advertising and coupons, probably to make up for the people who do not any longer clip coupons from the newspaper.  The electronics stores usually print their warranty and/or returns info on the receipts now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/11 at 12:12 pm

Maybe they could let you record the receipt onto your store card.  Why not?  I'm so non-green I don't even bring my own reusable bags!
:-[

I usually have to tell the cashier to stop wasting bags too. One time at Giant Iggle I bought 6 things and she was gonna use 7 bags. She was gonna double bag a bottle of milk. WTF?  I told her "load those suckers till they're full, I don't need all this waste."

It is a pet peeve of mine.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/11 at 12:21 pm

A green issue that gets Carlos are those reusable grocery bags. While they may be fine and it sounds good but if you use them, what will you use for garbage bags? We use the plastic grocery bags as garbage bags-so we are recycling them. But if you use the reusable grocery bags, you have to buy garbage bags and they fill up the landfill just as fast.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 12:33 pm

I usually have to tell the cashier to stop wasting bags too. One time at Giant Iggle I bought 6 things and she was gonna use 7 bags. She was gonna double bag a bottle of milk. WTF?  I told her "load those suckers till they're full, I don't need all this waste."

It is a pet peeve of mine.   :-\\

Do you ever save those bags from the supermarket? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/09/11 at 5:17 pm

Do you ever save those bags from the supermarket? ???

I take them back to Giant Iggle where they have a bag recycling bin.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:32 am

I take them back to Giant Iggle where they have a bag recycling bin.   :)

I take mine home with me and use them for garbage bags.

Written By: karen on 01/10/11 at 3:50 pm

One supermarket here (Sainsburys) prints a double-sided receipt.  I don't know how long they've been doing this but I noticed it recently.  It's unusual to get clip coupons printed on the back of a receipt here in the UK so this method makes sense.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/11 at 5:24 pm

I take mine home with me and use them for garbage bags.

I keep my extras in the front seat.  Whenever a cop starts following me, I throw one out onto his windshield.  Love to watch the pigs panic and skid off the road.  Oh well, gotta walk to court now!
:-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 01/10/11 at 6:25 pm

;D Max

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:44 pm

I keep my extras in the front seat.  Whenever a cop starts following me, I throw one out onto his windshield.  Love to watch the pigs panic and skid off the road.  Oh well, gotta walk to court now!
:-\\

Wouldn't that be distracting?  ??? ???

Written By: seamermar on 01/11/11 at 10:34 am

Green is the color of the hope. We should keep our faith in the fact the Green Planet will last.
In the meanwhile I try not to take home much too trash as I can leave at Mall  8)
They should take over all plastic, cardboard and wrapping paper the buying-selling deal has got along with.

As for our cars they should be like some pick-up dumper goods and trash.

And an especial model to Maxwellsmart...a powerful dump-truck with a cannon at the back  :D
to keep him to go to some trails every now and then.

Speaking seriously, our poor planet has a hard deal to keep itself green and clean.
In here it's same thing, malls don't kelp to make the problem small, with all that package you must shuttle to your garege and then throw it away again  >:( >:(

Holy sheet.. you understand..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/11 at 10:08 pm

Wouldn't that be distracting?  ??? ???

Walking to court?  Yeah, I got distracted picking up soda cans to throw at the judge.  Oh, he hates that!  Gotta go, Bubba wants his i-Phone back.  Well, it was my i-Phone, but Bubba took it away from me.  Had to do something I ain't proud of so I could use it for five minutes!
:P

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/12/11 at 6:22 am

I usually use Receipts to write stuff down and when I'm buying only a few things, I don't even ask for a plastic bag because I can carry it.

I don't go 100% green, but I hope that's a start.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/11 at 6:30 am

I think everything in the world should be green,How about green people?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/11 at 10:16 pm

I think everything in the world should be green,How about green people?  ;D

I wouldn't look so good in green.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/11 at 10:31 pm

I only ever ask for receipts for things that can be returned, like furniture or electronics like movies or games.  Whenever I go to Future Shop or Best Buy and purchase 1 item, the receipt is almost the length of a yard stick :o

Mostservice providers like phone or electric, cable etc are going green with the option of being able to view bills online, but I've seen lots of cases where people would rather have paper bills mailed to them.  For some reason, the option to have your 300+ page bill mailed to you, rather than save a bunch of trees and just view it online

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/12/11 at 10:41 pm

I get mile long receipts too. I went into the Ulta store and bought a lip gloss and a nail polish and got the biggest recipt. But most of the long ones I get have coupons on the back.  So that's kinda nice.

I'll never need a 56 oz can of nacho cheese, but it's nice to have a 10 cent discount on one.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/11 at 6:37 am

I wouldn't look so good in green.  :(

Afraid of walking down the street like a green person?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/11 at 8:08 pm

"Colorless green ideas furiously asleep."

--Noam Chomsky

Written By: Howard on 01/14/11 at 6:28 am

I'd rather Go Blue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/11 at 10:33 am

I'm an old Red!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/11 at 11:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51BQfPeSK8k&feature=related

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/11 at 2:15 pm

I'm an old Red!
;)

What about Red Green?

http://ducttaperepairs.com/wp-content/uploads/post-100-1265773672.jpg

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/14/11 at 3:36 pm

Mostservice providers like phone or electric, cable etc are going green with the option of being able to view bills online, but I've seen lots of cases where people would rather have paper bills mailed to them.  For some reason, the option to have your 300+ page bill mailed to you, rather than save a bunch of trees and just view it online

We get a discount from our cable provider for "going paperless" but they continue to send us a paper bill every month.....morons!

Written By: Howard on 01/14/11 at 7:16 pm

I'm an old Red!
;)

red what?

Written By: Howard on 01/14/11 at 7:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51BQfPeSK8k&feature=related

Kermit is supposed to green,he doesn't have a choice.

Check for new replies or respond here...