inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Douglas says tumour is gone

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/11 at 12:55 pm

Film star Michael Douglas, who was diagnosed with throat cancer last year, says his tumour is gone and he is beating the disease.

In an interview with NBC morning show Today, Douglas said: "I feel good, relieved. The tumour is gone."

He added: "I think the odds are, with the tumour gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer, that I've got it beat."

Douglas, 66, said he still had to be monitored on a monthly basis.

"I guess there's not a total euphoria. I'll probably take a couple of months of getting checked out but it's been a wild six-month ride," Douglas said in the recorded interview which will be aired in full on 23 January.

Douglas told Today co-host Matt Lauer he had been "eating like a pig" since he finished his radiation treatment and had been working out at the gym.

The Oscar-winning actor said he had lost 32lbs during his cancer treatment but had since put 12lbs back on.

Douglas, who is married to Welsh actress Catherine Zeta Jones, revealed in August 2010 that he had advanced "stage four cancer".

He was last seen on the big screen in Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps in the autumn.

The actor, the son of film legend Kirk Douglas, won an Oscar for his role as ruthless stockbroker Gordon Gekko in the original Wall Street film.

He and his wife have two children, Dylan, 10 and Carys, 7, and Douglas has another son Cameron, 32, from his first marriage.

Subject: Re: Michael Douglas says tumour is gone

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/11 at 6:30 pm

I like how you Brits put that extra "U" in the word tumor.  It sounds so much more elegant when spelled "tumour".

Written By: Howard on 01/11/11 at 7:29 pm

Now he can go back to making another film.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/11 at 10:09 pm

They weren't tumors, they were his wife's jugs!

:D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/11 at 2:45 am

Yay.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/occasion18.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hello2.gif

Written By: Howard on 01/12/11 at 6:40 am

They weren't tumors, they were his wife's jugs!

:D

Yeah,he wishes!  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/12/11 at 2:13 pm

Glad to hear he is going to be OK.  He may get an Oscar nod for Money Never Sleeps

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/11 at 8:12 am

I hope it is true that it is gone. I hope his lives for a LONG, LONG time.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/11 at 2:47 pm

Cat
Please bear in mind that his father (Kirk Douglas) is still with us at the age of 94.

Written By: Creeder on 01/13/11 at 3:04 pm

Great news.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/11 at 5:32 pm

Please bear in mind that his father (Kirk Douglas) is still with us at the age of 94.

Very true. But his father never had cancer-but did have a stroke.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/13/11 at 7:10 pm

Cat

I hope so too.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/11 at 7:10 pm

Very true. But his father never had cancer-but did have a stroke.  :-\\

Cat

But he's been sounding awful lately.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/13/11 at 11:11 pm

Douglas told Today co-host Matt Lauer he had been "eating like a pig" since he finished his radiation treatment and had been working out at the gym.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that medical science, for lack of a better word, is good. Medicine is right, science works. Science clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Science, in all of its forms; a hunger for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And science-based medicine, you mark my words, will not only save Michael Douglas, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/11 at 10:35 am

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that medical science, for lack of a better word, is good. Medicine is right, science works. Science clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Science, in all of its forms; a hunger for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And science-based medicine, you mark my words, will not only save Michael Douglas, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much.

If Douglas wasn't a rich actor, it just might be:

"I don't want to be your buddy, Rick, I just want a little chemo."
"I'm sorry, that's not our policy, sir!"
>:(

Check for new replies or respond here...