inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Halle Barry to Star in Arethra Franklin Biopic

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/11 at 5:54 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/15/halle-berry-playing-aretha-franklin-in-biopic_n_809498.html

WTF?  :o

Subject: Re: Halle Barry to Star in Arethra Franklin Biopic

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/11 at 6:01 pm

This will be the first time she has played the role of a famous singer, so it could work.

She won critical acclaim as Zola Taylor in 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love' and got the Emmy Award for playing Dorothy Dandridge in a biopic. 

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/15/11 at 6:25 pm

Halle Berry is too small to play Aretha Franklin. They should have Jennifer Hudson to play it, but I guess she got too small to do that not as well, but Jennifer Hudson reminds me of Aretha Franklin, so I think that she should get the role.  Why Halle Berry?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/11 at 6:35 pm

Halle Berry is too small to play Aretha Franklin. They should have Jennifer Hudson to play it, but I guess she got too small to do that not as well, but Jennifer Hudson reminds me of Aretha Franklin, so I think that she should get the role.  Why Halle Berry?

This is like casting David Spade to do the life story of Jackie Gleason.  ;D

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/15/11 at 6:58 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D  I hear you!  It's like casting Tom Hanks to do a life story of Meatloaf!!!!!  I don't want to be seem negative, but I don't think that Halle Berry fit the role as Aretha Franklin.  She did a helluva job playing Dorothy Dandrige and Zola Taylor because she fit that look, but Aretha Franklin????? WTF??????? Just because Halle Berry is a well-known black actress doesn't mean that she has to play every damn thing!  Let some other black actress take some acting roles.  I mean, come on.  Why can't they get Jennifer Hudson?  She has the soulful voice like Aretha Franklin.  She has the presence like Aretha Franklin.  Why didn't they cast her?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/11 at 8:43 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D  I hear you!  It's like casting Tom Hanks to do a life story of Meatloaf!!!!!  I don't want to be seem negative, but I don't think that Halle Berry fit the role as Aretha Franklin.  She did a helluva job playing Dorothy Dandrige and Zola Taylor because she fit that look, but Aretha Franklin????? WTF??????? Just because Halle Berry is a well-known black actress doesn't mean that she has to play every damn thing!  Let some other black actress take some acting roles.  I mean, come on.  Why can't they get Jennifer Hudson?  She has the soulful voice like Aretha Franklin.  She has the presence like Aretha Franklin.  Why didn't they cast her?

How about Gabouray Sidebe? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/11 at 8:51 pm

Off-topic, but those two names don't even belong in the same sentence.  Gleason had more talent in his fat left pinkie than Spade has in his entire pipsqueak body. 

As for Halle Barry, I'm still trying to get rid of the image of her doogering with Billy Bob Thornton in "Monsters Ball"!
8-P

Anyway, does Barry have the pipes for the part? 

Subject: Re: Halle Berry to Star in Arethra Franklin Biopic

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 11:02 pm

sizest much?  ::) Aretha wasn't always the size she is now....

I think nicole's suggestion of Jen Hudson is good... even Amber Riley from Glee would be a good choice. I love Halle but I don't see her as Aretha.... I'd like to see someone who could hit the singing aspect of the role (believably)  

I saw Why Do Fools Fall in Love but I don't really remember Halle's performance in it. I do remember her in the Dorothy Dandridge story and that was awesome but I just don't get that Aretha vibe from her.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 2:40 am

HELL NO!!!!!  No way!!!  Jennifer Hudson will be the perfect choice because she reminds me of a younger Aretha when she was smaller, and she has the voice to do it.  Halle Berry is poor choice, sorry.  Aretha is the one that wanted Halle to play her.  What the hell was she thinking? ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/11 at 2:45 am

HELL NO!!!!!  No way!!!  Jennifer Hudson will be the perfect choice because she reminds me of a younger Aretha when she was smaller, and she has the voice to do it.  Halle Berry is poor choice, sorry.  Aretha is the one that wanted Helle to play her.  What the hell was she thinking? ???

well aretha's a diva so of course she wanted Halle to play her... hell I want Halle to play me too  ;D  

Queen Latifah could be a good choice too...

Hell even Fantasia ('cept for the fact that Fantasia can't act  :D )

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 3:52 am

well aretha's a diva so of course she wanted Halle to play her... hell I want Halle to play me too  ;D 

Queen Latifah could be a good choice too...

Hell even Fantasia ('cept for the fact that Fantasia can't act  :D )

Queen Latifah is also a terrific choice to play Aretha, but Fantasia, HELL TO THE NO!!!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/11 at 3:59 am

Queen Latifah is also a terrific choice to play Aretha, but Fantasia, HELL TO THE NO!!!!!!!

well she can sing.... she can't act but she can sing...  ;D

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 4:06 am

well she can sing.... she can't act but she can sing...  ;D

I've never seen Fantasia act before, but I think that Queen Latifah and Jennifer Hudson will make better choices to portray Aretha Franklin, and not Halle Berry.  Halle Berry would do better playing Lena Horne, but not Aretha Franklin.  I mean, seriously.  Halle playing Aretha Franklin?  Wow, this world is coming to an end!!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/11 at 4:28 am

I've never seen Fantasia act before, but I think that Queen Latifah and Jennifer Hudson will make better choices to portray Aretha Franklin, and not Halle Berry.  Halle Berry would do better playing Lena Horne, but not Aretha Franklin.  I mean, seriously.  Halle playing Aretha Franklin?  Wow, this world is coming to an end!!!

Fantasia starred in the lifetime movie about her life... I figure if you can't success portray yourself on screen you have to be the worst actress ever...  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 6:59 am

Will Halle Berry have to gain some weight for the role of Aretha Franklin? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 7:00 am

I'd say Jennifer Hudson too.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 7:01 am

I'm deciding on that one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/16/11 at 7:28 am

sizest much?  ::) Aretha wasn't always the size she is now....

I think nicole's suggestion of Jen Hudson is good... even Amber Riley from Glee would be a good choice. I love Halle but I don't see her as Aretha.... I'd like to see someone who could hit the singing aspect of the role (believably) 

I saw Why Do Fools Fall in Love but I don't really remember Halle's performance in it. I do remember her in the Dorothy Dandridge story and that was awesome but I just don't get that Aretha vibe from her.

Well what I am thinking is have somebody like J-Hud play Arethra in her younger years (although she was never what you'd call skinny), and then Gabouray could play Arethra in her later years.  Sort of like they had two actors play the role of Forrest Gump.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/11 at 11:59 am

Halle could play Aretha in her think years and somebody else can play Aretha when she's bigger.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 12:21 pm

Halle could play Aretha in her think years and somebody else can play Aretha when she's bigger.

But Aretha wanted her to play her in ALL of the periods of her life.  I think that Jennifer Hudson will do great with playing the younger Aretha and Queen Latifah would play the older Aretha. That will be perfect since they both can sing very well. Gabourey and Halle, HELL NO!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:23 pm

Mo'nique?  ???

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 12:24 pm

Well what I am thinking is have somebody like J-Hud play Arethra in her younger years (although she was never what you'd call skinny), and then Gabouray could play Arethra in her later years.  Sort of like they had two actors play the role of Forrest Gump.   :)

Gabourey, no way, but Queen Latifah will be very perfect for playing older Aretha since she has the singing chops for it unlike Gabourey.  And Queen Latifah look more like the older Aretha than Gabourey and Jennifer Hudson look more like the younger Aretha than Halle Berry.  I think that what Aretha did was a mistake.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:25 pm

Gabourey, no way, but Queen Latifah will be very perfect for playing older Aretha since she has the singing chops for it unlike Gabourey.  And Queen Latifah look more like the older Aretha than Gabourey and Jennifer Hudson look more like the younger Aretha than Halle Berry.  I think that what Aretha did was a mistake.

They would need a lot of makeup for the older Aretha.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 12:26 pm

Mo'nique?  ???

WOW!  :o  Now you're going too far.  Ever since Mo'nique won an Oscar for that stereotypical demeaning role in Precious, I have no respect for her because me as a woman of color, it was very offensive to me.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:27 pm

WOW!  No you're going too far.  Ever since Mo'nique won an Oscar for that stereotypical demeaning role in Precious, I have no respect for her because me as a woman of color, it was very offensive to me.

You mean you don't want her to portray Aretha?  ???

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 12:29 pm

They would need a lot of makeup for the older Aretha.

;D ;D ;D That's cold, but you're right.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:31 pm

;D ;D ;D That's cold, but you're right.

She would also have to learn to lip sync every Aretha song from the 60's to the 1980's.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 12:32 pm

You mean you don't want her to portray Aretha?  ???

I don't know.  Her winning an Oscar for that stereotypical role rubs me the wrong way, but I guess she would play Aretha, but somebody has to dub the singing part.  I'd rather see Monique or Queen Latifah playing the older Aretha than Gabourey

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/16/11 at 12:35 pm

She would also have to learn to lip sync every Aretha song from the 60's to the 1980's.

She sure does. Gabourey and Halle are poor choices to play Aretha, and Aretha wanted Halle to play Aretha in ALL decades, and to me, that doesn't make any sense.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:37 pm

I don't know.  Her winning an Oscar for that stereotypical role rubs me the wrong way, but I guess she would play Aretha, but somebody has to dub the singing part.  I'd rather see Monique or Queen Latifah playing the older Aretha than Gabourey

Queen Latifah is a good choice.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:38 pm

She sure does. Gabourey and Halle are poor choices to play Aretha, and Aretha wanted Halle to play Aretha in ALL decades, and to me, that doesn't make any sense.

Halle would have to gain loads of weight for the part.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/16/11 at 1:43 pm

Yeah, I could see Queen Latifah doing a decent job in this flick.  8)

Written By: Starde on 01/16/11 at 2:08 pm

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Halle fits this role. I'd personally go with Jennifer Hudson or Queen Latifah myself.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/11 at 5:15 pm

I thought Jennifer at first, but Queen I think would do it better.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/11 at 6:04 pm

None of them will play Aretha..... I WILL PLAY ARETHA!!  >:( >:( ;D

I'll be the star!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/remykiss.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/3some.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/16/11 at 6:39 pm

Anyway, does Barry have the pipes for the part? 

No, but she has the lungs.

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/11 at 8:27 pm

WOW!  :o  Now you're going too far.  Ever since Mo'nique won an Oscar for that stereotypical demeaning role in Precious, I have no respect for her because me as a woman of color, it was very offensive to me.

Actually I thought Monique gave an amazing performance. That role/film wasn't reinforcing the stereotype it shined a spotlight on a fraction of our society that still exists annd showed one girls struggle to break from it.

Now the characters in those Fridays movies? Those were stereotypical.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 6:43 am

Yeah, I could see Queen Latifah doing a decent job in this flick.  8)

Does Queen Latifah still rap? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 6:44 am

Aretha can play herself.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/17/11 at 10:01 am

Does Queen Latifah still rap? ???

No, she retired from rapping and stick with singing and acting.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 1:00 pm

No, she retired from rapping and stick with singing and acting.

like that TV Show she did years ago.  ???

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/17/11 at 1:13 pm

like that TV Show she did years ago.  ???

Yeah, she was in this show called "Living Single" in the 90s.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 1:27 pm

Yeah, she was in this show called "Living Single" in the 90s.

Thanks Nicole I almost for got about that.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/17/11 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Nicole I almost for got about that.

No problem

Written By: Howard on 01/18/11 at 6:41 am

Who else could star in it besides Halle Berry?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/11 at 4:11 pm

Who else could star in it besides Halle Berry?  ???

Um....Whitney Houston?  ???

She could play 60's Aretha.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/11 at 7:46 pm

Um....Whitney Houston?  ???

She could play 60's Aretha.

Maybe,that could be a possibility. ???

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/11 at 6:15 am

Maybe,that could be a possibility. ???

No, I think Queen is the one who could really pull it off.  Whitney has the voice, but not the lungs.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/11 at 6:23 am

No, I think Queen is the one who could really pull it off.  Whitney has the voice, but not the lungs.

Queen Latifah would be a great possibility.

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/11 at 7:09 am

No, I think Queen is the one who could really pull it off.  Whitney has the voice, but not the lungs.

nor the acting skills....

Written By: 80sfan on 01/22/11 at 3:45 pm

nor the acting skills....

;D

Written By: Howard on 01/22/11 at 7:05 pm

Rupaul could play Aretha.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...