inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dubstep

Written By: RG1995 on 01/16/11 at 12:55 pm

Apparently the British genre "Dubstep" is getting so big, that even Britney Spears has used a Dubstep-influenced sound in her new single. So do you believe the electronic genre Dubstep is the next musical movement to break the mainstream?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep

Subject: Re: Dubstep

Written By: Emman on 01/16/11 at 11:26 pm

Apparently the British genre "Dubstep" is getting so big, that even Britney Spears has used a Dubstep-influenced sound in her new single. So do you believe the electronic genre Dubstep is the next musical movement to break the mainstream?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep

It might be, it could turn out to be one of the main 10's genres.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/16/11 at 11:29 pm

Yeah I've actually been hearing about dubstep for a couple years now, I know there were a few dubstep hits in the UK last year and now Britney is going with that sound. I wonder if any other pop stars are going to hop on the dubstep bandwagon now?

Written By: Creeder on 01/17/11 at 2:02 am

I'll be really sad if it hits the mainstream.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/17/11 at 3:09 am

Dubstep's been growing in public awareness on the internet for about a year or so by this point.  Haven't seen too much of it outside of the internet, but I generally don't go to clubs where they would play that type of music anyway (hell, I only recently turned 21 last year and still prefer college house parties).  

That said, I don't think Dubstep will necessarily be a main 00s genre.  It'll likely just be lumped in the current dance-pop trend.  Let's face it: the average person doesn't know the differences between the various genres of Electronica.  I've heard so many people refer to something as "Techno" when its really House music, for example.  That said, I think it's definitely going to cross over to the mainstream.  The buzz is simply too large and its reputation as the "dirty and filthy" style of dance music in terms of sound works well as a transition from the "cleaner" dance-pop that's been popular thus far towards whatever defines the mid-2010s. 

Whether it stays "dirty" after its been sufficiently commercialized is another matter.  Look at how Grunge got the cleaner, more commercial Post-Grunge.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/17/11 at 3:27 am

It will probably definitely be an early '10s thing, if it doesn't dominate the '10s altogether.

I see all this electronica/dance music to be a bridge between the '00s and the '10s, the way teen pop was for the '90s and '00s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/18/11 at 9:41 pm

Could be.  There's also the variation of Dubstep known as Skweee that brings in some of the 8-bit/chiptune influence.  Skweee has also been kicking around for a couple of years now.

I don't know what the music of the 2010s will be, but I think something musically interesting's going to come out of all of this.

Written By: Guest on 02/15/11 at 9:26 pm

It will probably definitely be an early '10s thing, if it doesn't dominate the '10s altogether.

I see all this electronica/dance music to be a bridge between the '00s and the '10s, the way teen pop was for the '90s and '00s.

I don't consider dance/electronica a bridge, it is obviously the sound of the future.  I didn't really hear that much dance/electronica in the 2000s til about very late 2009..

Written By: Creeder on 02/16/11 at 12:34 am

I don't consider dance/electronica a bridge, it is obviously the sound of the future.  I didn't really hear that much dance/electronica in the 2000s til about very late 2009..

Maybe in America, but here in Europe electronica is in the mainstream since the 80s and dominating the whole 90s & 2000s.

Check for new replies or respond here...