inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Country is the only real music left in the mainstream?

Written By: Creeder on 01/25/11 at 7:05 am

Country music is becoming big in the last years. With Rock being practically dead in the mainstream since last year, is country the only real (made by real musicians, instead of those electro-auto-tune robots) genre with presence in the top 40? Are many of the rock fans gonna move to country music?
P.S. I'm not saying that all electropop music is sheesh, there are many good memorable tracks.

Subject: Re: Country is the only real music left in the mainstream?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/25/11 at 7:13 am

Country music is becoming big in the last years. With Rock being practically dead in the mainstream since last year, is country the only real (made by real musicians, instead of electro-auto-tune robots) genre with presence in the top 40? Are many of the rock fans gonna move to country music?
P.S. I'm not saying that all electropop music is sheesh, there are many good memorable tracks.

Depends on what you call country.  I think country I think Willie Nelson, and there aren't many like him anymore.  The top "country" musicians are just as slick as any electro-auto-tune-robot.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/25/11 at 7:24 am

Country is pretty watered down too in that it's mostly just twangy pop music and has been for a while, though most of it's better than the likes of Ke$ha probably.

Written By: Shiv on 01/25/11 at 8:53 am

I don't think there's ever been "real" music in the mainstream. Pop music has always been homogenized, fast food for ears. That's its purpose.

Creeder, just because rock doesn't sound like it did in 1975 doesn't mean its dead. It changes with the times. Right now its moving in a more spacey, electronic direction because people have rediscovered synths after falling out of popularity in the 90s and 00s, and up until recently mainstream rock remained almost unchanged from the early 90s. It's time for something new.

I like the "traditional" rock sound too, but I also like change.

Rock isn't going anywhere. There are plenty of young people still into it, I know because I'm one of them. Many actually like classic rock from the 60s and 70s, made 20 years before they were born. I think that speaks volumes.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/11 at 9:37 am

Taylor Swift anyone?

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:07 pm

Taylor Swift anyone?
Taylor Swift started out as pop-country now she's more like a cross between Avril Lavigne and Britney Spears. Taylor Swift is tween pop maybe now.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/11 at 1:09 pm

Taylor Swift started out as pop-country now she's more like a cross between Avril Lavigne and Britney Spears. Taylor Swift is tween pop maybe now.

I was never a fan of Taylor Swift. I actually almost hate her!  :-[

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:11 pm

Well there is 2 kinds of country the crossover pop country that is big in late and early part of decades like the late 70's/early 80's with Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and the late 90's/early 00's with Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes, and Shania Twain, and Lonestar. Than when country music gets tired of the whole pop-country trend they go back to pure country music like Alan Jackson.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/11 at 1:14 pm

Well there is 2 kinds of country the crossover pop country that is big in late and early part of decades like the late 70's/early 80's with Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and the late 90's/early 00's with Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes, and Shania Twain, and Lonestar. Than when country music gets tired of the whole pop-country trend they go back to pure country music like Alan Jackson.

The reason why I don't like Taylor Swift is because all her songs sound the same to me. I actually like her first 2 or 3 singles from her first album then after that.... it seemed like the girl had nothing else to offer me.

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:17 pm

I don't think there's ever been "real" music in the mainstream. Pop music has always been homogenized, fast food for ears. That's its purpose.Creeder, just because rock doesn't sound like it did in 1975 doesn't mean its dead. It changes with the times. Right now its moving in a more spacey, electronic direction because people have rediscovered synths after falling out of popularity in the 90s and 00s, and up until recently mainstream rock remained almost unchanged from the early 90s. It's time for something new.

I like the "traditional" rock sound too, but I also like change.

Rock isn't going anywhere. There are plenty of young people still into it, I know because I'm one of them. Many actually like classic rock from the 60s and 70s, made 20 years before they were born. I think that speaks volumes.

Really? In the 80's, 90's, and even for most of the 00's there was still  real music left. Of course when Soulja Boy in 2007 and Lil Wayne became big iin 2008 it became time to turn off the radio! I still don't get the appeal of Britney Spears either after all these years.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/11 at 1:19 pm

Really? In the 80's, 90's, and even for most of the 00's there was still  real music left. Of course when Soulja Boy in 2007 and Lil Wayne became big iin 2008 it became time to turn off the radio! I still don't get the appeal of Britney Spears either after all these years.

It isn't her music that people like; it's her body!! She used to be hot from about 1998 to about 2003. Then after that she just wasn't the same.

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:22 pm

The reason why I don't like Taylor Swift is because all her songs sound the same to me. I actually like her first 2 or 3 singles from her first album then after that.... it seemed like the girl had nothing else to offer me.
My take on Taylor Swift is she has a paper-thin voice. I just don't get the appeal of her. Yeah I don't listen to her music but I have heard her first album was more pop-country as I said before and than she became more tween-pop after that if you will.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/11 at 1:25 pm

My take on Taylor Swift is she has a paper-thin voice. I just don't get the appeal of her. Yeah I don't listen to her music but I have heard her first album was more pop-country as I said before and than she became more tween-pop after that if you will.

Oh yeah, and her voice. That totally adds to my dislike of her. I guess me and you agree on one thing.  ;D

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:26 pm

It isn't her music that people like; it's her body!! She used to be hot from about 1998 to about 2003. Then after that she just wasn't the same.
I just look at People Magazine if I want to see a pic of a good looking woman. I'm not gonna buy a female artists song or album because she is hot.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/25/11 at 1:28 pm

I just look at People Magazine if I want to see a pic of a good looking woman. I'm not gonna buy a female artists song or album because she is hot.

I agree.

Who are some of your favorite artists or bands; male or female?

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:34 pm

I agree.

Who are some of your favorite artists or bands; male or female?
I don't know I like 90's R&B and Alternative Rock myself. I like some 1980's latin/freestyle music too.

Written By: Emman on 01/25/11 at 1:44 pm

I have a strange feeling we're about to get some weird, trippy, technicolor, electronic indie rock in the 10s, I think that might be one direction "rock" is heading towards.

Written By: tv on 01/25/11 at 1:47 pm

I remember my mom and my aunt who are boomers used to laugh at Britney Spears and even Christina Aguilera back in 1999-2000 saying they are a "flash in the pan". Look at what happened though. I respect Christina more than Britney though.

Written By: Creeder on 01/25/11 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, there is country and pop-ish "country". I like a couple of Taylor Swift's stuff, but she's not my kind of country artist.
Anyway my favorite country performers are Toby Keith, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Alabama, Charlie Daniels and the new Lady Antebellum and Zac Brown Band.
Carrie Underwood is sweet too.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/25/11 at 4:11 pm

Country isn't popular at all with the youth, unless you consider Taylor Swift Country.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/11 at 8:06 pm

How about 80's country with guys like Johnny Lee,Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/25/11 at 9:30 pm

I wish there would be a country rap scene...

Written By: RG1995 on 01/25/11 at 9:36 pm

That's something I haven't heard before!  :P I suppose if there is a Rap-Rock and a Jazz-Rap, Country-Rap could happen.

Written By: Creeder on 01/26/11 at 3:23 am

That's something I haven't heard before!  :P I suppose if there is a Rap-Rock and a Jazz-Rap, Country-Rap could happen.

Yes, there is country rap and its very good.
Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxUuDPNbkJk
Plus many of the Kid Rock stuff.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/11 at 6:34 am

or a Country Rap duet?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/11 at 8:44 am

I guess not everything has been done.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/26/11 at 1:41 pm

I could see Willie Nelson and Jay Z do a duet.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/11 at 5:18 pm

or a Country Rap duet?

Yes. A possible title could be "I Lost My Shawty at the Truck Stop", by Willie Nelson featuring/ Butt Weasel MC Jam.

Written By: Starde on 01/26/11 at 9:09 pm

or a Country Rap duet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3htOCjafTc

Kinda close. :D More Country R&B

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/26/11 at 9:19 pm

I guess not everything has been done.  ::)

If you're willing to accept Lynyrd Skynrd's Sweet Home Alabama as a rockabilly/redneck variation of country, then DJ Mei-Lwun did it in 2007.

Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. Nelly: Sweet Home Country Grammar, with awesome MP3 hosted at DJ Mei-Lwun's site.

Written By: JTCool on 01/26/11 at 10:06 pm

Country isn't popular at all with the youth, unless you consider Taylor Swift Country.

Actually, I know a lot of teenagers that like country music, not just the current stuff either but a lot of 80s and 90s country.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/11 at 10:34 pm

If you're willing to accept Lynyrd Skynrd's Sweet Home Alabama as a rockabilly/redneck variation of country, then DJ Mei-Lwun did it in 2007.

Lynyrd Skynyrd vs. Nelly: Sweet Home Country Grammar, with awesome MP3 hosted at DJ Mei-Lwun's site.

Even if it has been done before, it's still fresh enough that the music industry can make some $$ from a genre like it!  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/11 at 6:25 am

Yes. A possible title could be "I Lost My Shawty at the Truck Stop", by Willie Nelson featuring/ Butt Weasel MC Jam.

Kenny Rogers should sing duet. ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/27/11 at 6:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3htOCjafTc

Kinda close. :D More Country R&B

This song is pretty good.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/11 at 9:18 pm

I don't call what comes on "country" radio today country.  Country died in the early '00s when crossover acts like Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Lonestar, the Dixie Chicks, etc, etc, etc hijacked the genre.  The final nail in the coffin was when Tim McGraw did that duet with Nelly.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 6:33 am

Whatever happened to the country music we used to enjoy back in the 80's?  ???

Written By: tv on 01/31/11 at 1:27 pm

I don't remember country being big during the 80's(1983-1988.)  When pop-country is big I take notice of country and that is usually in between decades. I know in the 90's too(1993-1996) country with Garth Brooks selling alot of albums but I never took notice of country till LeAnn Rimes or Faith Hill in 1997-1998 became popular on pop radio.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 2:38 pm

I don't remember country being big during the 80's(1983-1988.)  When pop-country is big I take notice of country and that is usually in between decades. I know in the 90's too(1993-1996) country with Garth Brooks selling alot of albums but I never took notice of country till LeAnn Rimes or Faith Hill in 1997-1998 became popular on pop radio.

Kenny Rogers,Dolly Parton,Johnny Lee,etc...

Written By: tv on 01/31/11 at 2:40 pm

Yeah Lynrd Synynrd it sounded like he had the appeal of both country and rock audiences back in the 70's.

Written By: tv on 01/31/11 at 2:41 pm

Kenny Rogers,Dolly Parton,Johnny Lee,etc...
I thought Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton faded from pop radio after 1982.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 3:09 pm

I thought Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton faded from pop radio after 1982.

Islands In the Stream.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/11 at 5:13 pm

And whatever happened to Western music? The Country powers-that-be kicked Western to the curb.

Written By: JTCool on 01/31/11 at 10:01 pm

I don't call what comes on "country" radio today country.  Country died in the early '00s when crossover acts like Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Lonestar, the Dixie Chicks, etc, etc, etc hijacked the genre.  The final nail in the coffin was when Tim McGraw did that duet with Nelly.

The Dixie Chicks did crossover, but I'd consider them country. Have you listened to their Home album?

Written By: Howard on 02/01/11 at 6:39 am

And whatever happened to Western music? The Country powers-that-be kicked Western to the curb.

That genre must've died a long time ago.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/11 at 6:39 am

http://vodpod.com/watch/1071765-kenny-rogers-dolly-parton-islands-in-the-stream

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/02/11 at 6:00 am

http://vodpod.com/watch/1071765-kenny-rogers-dolly-parton-islands-in-the-stream

I think that was before Kenny's plastic surgery.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK5J62_ykgpfdbxNO-iy4x4B4Z2t8BDKF0qd2Kz-9wr4y2guX5&t=1

Written By: Howard on 02/02/11 at 6:36 am

I think that was before Kenny's plastic surgery.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK5J62_ykgpfdbxNO-iy4x4B4Z2t8BDKF0qd2Kz-9wr4y2guX5&t=1

He was better before the surgery,Look what he's done to his face.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...